Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battle.net

Concept »

Launched by Blizzard in 1997, this service provides a solid online foundation to Blizzard's franchises such as the Diablo, StarCraft and WarCraft series. As a constantly evolving service, a new version, Battle.net 2.0, was released in 2010 with the release of Starcraft 2.

Blizzard Reverses Real ID Forum Policy

Collater333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By Collater333
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " and nice to see some of you still whining about Brad Nicholson as usual.  Every article he writes sux, o noes.  The GB staff hired him for a reason, and he's just doing his job.  Stop being babies whining about some freaking video game news articles. "
    It's nice to see you attempt to spin some posts that are legit criticisms into "whining."  So how about you stop being a baby whining about some freaking opinions about someone else's opinioin ;).
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202  Edited By Shinri

Stopped reading when apparently people were only concerned about the safety of female users

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#203  Edited By Jayzilla

i think blizz should do it out of spite. all the people whining about it would still play blizz games. if people were really all that fired up about it they would boycott blizz. as it happens, people just like to whine. i am very proud to tell the super cool story that i have not spent one second playing a blizz game in any form. 

bungiecord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#204  Edited By bungiecord
    @Andorski said:

" Anonymity is the root cause of everything that is bad about the internet.  Ashamed about doing something online to the point where you don't want people to know it was you?  Maybe you should not fucking do it anymore.  That's my two cents.   

I suppose that law enforcement should be able to put your DNA in a database at birth to have it cataloged in case of the possibility that you commit a crime in the future. Be able monitor all your  internet usage, emails, internet searches, phone calls etc. freely without  restraint in order to make sure that you're not going to commit a crime, or assist anyone committing one. Perhaps they should be able to stop and search you at random on the street with no reason other than to make sure you're not carrying anything illegal on you. And I guess it would be totally cool if ISPs gave all their customer information to the RIAA so they can see who is downloading music right? Screw privacy, who needs it? Because hey if you're not doing anything wrong then what do you have to worry about.   
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#205  Edited By Andorski
    @bungiecord said:
    " @Andorski said:

" Anonymity is the root cause of everything that is bad about the internet.  Ashamed about doing something online to the point where you don't want people to know it was you?  Maybe you should not fucking do it anymore.  That's my two cents.   

I suppose that law enforcement should be able to put your DNA in a database at birth to have it cataloged in case of the possibility that you commit a crime in the future. Be able monitor all your  internet usage, emails, internet searches, phone calls etc. freely without  restraint in order to make sure that you're not going to commit a crime, or assist anyone committing one. Perhaps they should be able to stop and search you at random on the street with no reason other than to make sure you're not carrying anything illegal on you. And I guess it would be totally cool if ISPs gave all their customer information to the RIAA so they can see who is downloading music right? Screw privacy, who needs it? Because hey if you're not doing anything wrong then what do you have to worry about.    "
    Privacy and anonymity aren't completely mutually exclusive.  Don't want someone to find out what you are doing?  Either don't do it in such a public arena (e.g. the internet) or don't do it at all.  Want to do something but don't want others to know?  You're just a shameless excuse of a person.

Maybe I'm just one of those crazy people who is forward with who they really are.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#206  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Andorski said:
    " @bungiecord said:
    " @Andorski said:

I suppose that law enforcement should be able to put your DNA in a database at birth to have it cataloged in case of the possibility that you commit a crime in the future. Be able monitor all your  internet usage, emails, internet searches, phone calls etc. freely without  restraint in order to make sure that you're not going to commit a crime, or assist anyone committing one. Perhaps they should be able to stop and search you at random on the street with no reason other than to make sure you're not carrying anything illegal on you. And I guess it would be totally cool if ISPs gave all their customer information to the RIAA so they can see who is downloading music right? Screw privacy, who needs it? Because hey if you're not doing anything wrong then what do you have to worry about.    "
    Privacy and anonymity aren't completely mutually exclusive.  Don't want someone to find out what you are doing?  Either don't do it in such a public arena (e.g. the internet) or don't do it at all.  Want to do something but don't want others to know?  You're just a shameless excuse of a person. Maybe I'm just one of those crazy people who is forward with who they really are. "
    Bullshit.  Your face pic and name are not those you were born with.  You're not being forward at all in this discussion, you're just pushing your opinion out there with just the same level of anonymity as everyone else here.  Moreover, you're resorting to character attack methodologies which further clarifies just how shallow and limited your argument really is.  I'm sure you wouldn't call someone names to their face in the street because the consequences of such action might lead to violent or embarrassing rebuttals.  

When it comes to the internet, privacy is only delivered safely when it's wrapped in anonymity.  There's a wealth of information floating about the internet on services around the world which can be used to attack, harass and steal from innocent people and that information and its connections to other information needs to be obscured between services to prevent or at the very least slow the capabilities of nefarious people to enact such negative actions against other people.   Say you said something in an open discussion in a WoW server which someone didn't like, even though it wasn't particularly offensive, with Real ID in effect that person could harass you or employ others to harass far more easily than without it.  That person could, without much work because they already have your given legal real name, contact your place of work or family members or they could utilise your information to open bank accounts or apply for credit cards and the like all of which could affect you negatively for many years through no fault of your own.   

Personal Information is something which we should have the right to share and protect as we deem fit.  It is not something we should have to hand over to a faceless corporation in order to enjoy something we pay for.  You wouldn't expect McDonalds to scan your license when you order a Big Mac and this is the same thing.  Just because WoW and games like it are connected to service which you can elect to trade real money for inworld goods, services and credit, that doesn't give the service provider the right to ALL of your information and definitely doesn't give said service provider the right to use and share your personal information as they see fit. 

Real ID gives people who you don't know the right and innate ability to find information about you which they would otherwise have no right to.  Real ID's function is a way to monetize your personal information via Direct Marketing and the onselling of that information to the benefit of companies like Activision and presents almost no benefit to the end user.  Corporations and their employees utilise a variety of means to hide information on a daily basis, usually via lawyers and accountants whose trust and confidentiality are implied in the process.  We have the same rights as they do and so we shouldn't be at the mercy of a way of making money when it makes us unnecessarily vulnerable.

Blizzard has allowed Gold Trading, Gold Spamming, Gold Farming, Paid Power Levelling, Account Theft and countless other illegitmate mini industries to thrive and prosper on its servers for years and while they have finally added Authenticators as a method to protect against hacked accounts they've done little to nothing about the other illegal means by which people earn money on their WoW service purely because all of those other illegal means continually earn them money at the same time.   The only reason why Real ID has been stimied at this stage is because the user feedback has been incredibly negative and a steep drop off of WoW users would directly negatively affect Blizzard and thus Activision's bottom line.

Just because someone or some corporation can do something is not a reason why it should be done.  Personal Information should be protected.
    MjHealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 15

#207  Edited By MjHealy

Blizzard... why did you back away? If they are gonna go through and change up the forums like that, go all the way.

Buman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Buman
    @ch13696 said:

" It doesn't matter if you use you real name or not. I'm pretty sure those Blizzard employee info is fake. They're just trying to scare people so they can get away with talking shit like they always do. And to prove it:  Christopher Hedy  That's my name. Go ahead and try to do something. "

This is you I'm assuming? 
    http://www.facebook.com/chrisdhedy#!/chrisdhedy?v=wall
    shadowblazer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By shadowblazer19
    @Meptron said:
    " sounds like the internet tough guys have won again. now if only if they could talk to girls as well as they can bitch on forums... "
    This.
    Avatar image for forgot2register
    forgot2register

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By forgot2register
    @Meptron said:
    " sounds like the internet tough guys have won again. now if only if they could talk to girls as well as they can bitch on forums... "
    ^
    JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#211  Edited By JackLumber

I think this is bullshit. I think people just need to man the fuck up. Using real names was a great idea. It would make people more accountable and help cut down on the bullshit. Anyone who scared by this needs to grow up. So what if people know you play Warcraft? Grow a pair and stop hiding who you are. it's 2010. And how could anyone be afraid that some asshole you piss off is going to come find you or something? Thats the sort of thing people threaten to do under cover of anonymity, and don't do when everyone knows who they are. There's some crazy people out there, sure, but just don't post personal information and lock your fucking doors. The chances of anything bad happening are pretty slim. Americans like to convince themselves that they're in constant danger from robbers and terrorists and crazy people even when they aren't. This is just more of that shit.

I'm completely over people looking down on gamers or seeing games as toys, etc. Gaming has been mainstream entertainment for a long time now. Anyone who hasn't caught on yet is just stupid. But if you're still looking for a way to further legitimize gaming, isn't this it? Shouldn't gamers prove that they're ready to grow up, stop hiding behind fake names, and co-exist peacefully on the internet? We could debate on whether or not this is the best way to do it, but I think it's ridiculous to think that something like this could never happen in gaming.

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#212  Edited By thenexus

Have to go against you on this one Brad. Even with a new sign agreement with the new forums the change would have broken privacy laws in several countries to start with. I was a player and Trolls in any forums are annoying but this was not a solution. As a web developer and designer and computing degree's the concept of this approach was just wrong on so many levels. If you were found out to be a player brad as a celebratory and hounded every time you played the game after posting on the forums there after your going to not enjoy the game any more. Kids in the game and even teens and idiot adults make threats and what not now. Knowing your name and a google to get your details will issue real life threats, possible damage to property and more outside of the game. Oh it will happen, I have seen it elsewhere. They can ban and remove posts with personal details but that has to be spotted/reported and then dealt with which takes time so that information and threats etc will be on the forums for a period of time. This would actually be WORSE then they are now. I want my friends to know who I am and RealID on that level in game works very well I am told. To be public was never a good idea. As mentioned in the UK for example you can not prevent access to the forums (Blizzard said if you do not want to have your name shown do not post on the forums) in terms of wanting to keep your privacy. It is something you simply can not do. Lots of people from different countries posted aspects of privacy acts and laws in those countries in regard to what blizzard attempted to do which they can not counter with you signing to a new agreement. Just a lot of grey, lots of no and not quite well thought out. Their goal is a good one but people not only had a go at Blizzard they gave great suggestions how to tackle the problem. One being that "If they have something to loose" which came across a few places. In game bans for bad trolling or abuse on the forums would be one route to go down. 2nd forum issue and you get locked out of both the game and forum.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#213  Edited By subject2change

Now if only I could sign out of realID from time to time or hide being online...

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By George_Hukas
    @thenexus said:
    " Have to go against you on this one Brad. Even with a new sign agreement with the new forums the change would have broken privacy laws in several countries to start with. I was a player and Trolls in any forums are annoying but this was not a solution. As a web developer and designer and computing degree's the concept of this approach was just wrong on so many levels. If you were found out to be a player brad as a celebratory and hounded every time you played the game after posting on the forums there after your going to not enjoy the game any more. Kids in the game and even teens and idiot adults make threats and what not now. Knowing your name and a google to get your details will issue real life threats, possible damage to property and more outside of the game. Oh it will happen, I have seen it elsewhere. They can ban and remove posts with personal details but that has to be spotted/reported and then dealt with which takes time so that information and threats etc will be on the forums for a period of time. This would actually be WORSE then they are now. I want my friends to know who I am and RealID on that level in game works very well I am told. To be public was never a good idea. As mentioned in the UK for example you can not prevent access to the forums (Blizzard said if you do not want to have your name shown do not post on the forums) in terms of wanting to keep your privacy. It is something you simply can not do. Lots of people from different countries posted aspects of privacy acts and laws in those countries in regard to what blizzard attempted to do which they can not counter with you signing to a new agreement. Just a lot of grey, lots of no and not quite well thought out. Their goal is a good one but people not only had a go at Blizzard they gave great suggestions how to tackle the problem. One being that "If they have something to loose" which came across a few places. In game bans for bad trolling or abuse on the forums would be one route to go down. 2nd forum issue and you get locked out of both the game and forum. "
    I agree wholeheartedly but you got to admit there was a little bit of irony in this being overturned by googling dev's real names and sending death threats
    Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Thusian
    @Gravatix: What if someone with the same name as me says Racist or Sexist or just generally Psychotic things and I get pegged by my employer or friends by it? Even after I explain to them I was not that individual, they may always have doubts. My family and close friends maybe not so much, but co-workers could be another kettle of fish.
    Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By Thusian
    @MAST: The fact that they have something of a following probably offers them a form or protection.  If you were to harass them that harassment would then be communicated back around to the community via the podcast etc and do that person more harm.  Someone who very few people notice may be a better target for reprisal.  Also in many podcasts game journalists mention angry emails from members of the community.  This form of harassment may roll off of them easily, but others may not be as well equipped to handle it.  That should not be seen as a shortcoming of our potential victim.  They chose to choose a profession which places them in the public view.  

On this specific policy Blizzard was offering people the chance to opt out by choosing to not visit the forums so that was an honest and legal way to handle it.  They did go back on the policy for now, and I am happy for it as I would hate to see anyone who does not initially see the harm have anything bad happen to them.  In full disclosure as a part of my job I do Privacy Impact Assessments to protect our clients so I have been conditioned to look out for people and never take the attitude that they had it coming.
    gravatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By gravatix
    @Thusian: Er, well what if that happens now?  It's entirely possible somebody on the internet with your name is already said something like that but if your employer scrutinizes you for it that's some bullshit they could get into serious legal trouble for.  And unless these comments are accompanied by your photo I can't imagine a situation where your co-workers would really believe it was you.  I don't know, I just can't get that worked up about it.  Plenty of people with my name exist online saying all kinds of shit and I've never known ANYBODY googling my name.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.