Change Your Battle.net Password

Avatar image for brackynews
#101 Posted by Brackynews (4387 posts) -
Avatar image for gordo789
#102 Posted by Gordo789 (364 posts) -

cool, they can play as much Diablo III as they want because i could not care less about that fucking game.

Avatar image for pop
#103 Posted by Pop (2707 posts) -

they said something about global accounts too.

Avatar image for evgar
#104 Posted by EvGar (158 posts) -

Can you even change your security questions?

Avatar image for bollard
#105 Posted by Bollard (7425 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

this is why we need biometrics as security pronto. nobody would be able to hack my face

Well, you say that, but in all honesty it's just a different form of password. To verify what your face/eye/fingerprint look like Blizzard still need to keep a copy of it, right? So hackers could just steal that, and write a program that presents that data when asked for your biometrics. That's all scanners do, convert real world shit to data, and data is easy to copy.

Avatar image for rawson
#106 Posted by Rawson (143 posts) -

All the more reason to get a fucking authenticator.

Avatar image for kiri90
#107 Posted by Kiri90 (292 posts) -

¡Viva la revolución! Haha

Avatar image for superkidsid
#108 Posted by superkidsid (25 posts) -

If only I had real answers to the secret questions maybe I would remember them better.

Avatar image for harpell
#109 Posted by Harpell (204 posts) -

Oh, those hackers!

Avatar image for theanticitizen
#110 Posted by theanticitizen (383 posts) -
@Xeirus

@TheMasterDS said:

I'm going to trust them and leave the password as it is. I really don't care if someone plays my Diablo 3 or Starcraft II account, there's nothing of value there. Well, I suppose if someone got in and deleted my progress or sold off all my stuff that'd be a bummer, but seeing as I haven't played Diablo 3 in months it wouldn't be that much of one.

I felt the same way, haha. I'm not even mad, because I just don't care.

The thing is they would also have access to your email account tied to your battle.net account, and if that's tied to any sort of financial information...well...
Avatar image for spicyrichter
#111 Posted by SpicyRichter (742 posts) -

Unprofessional... companies need to be held accountable for the security of our personal information!

Avatar image for mr48
#112 Edited by Mr48 (104 posts) -

@Bell_End: Are you fucking serious? Its Blizzard's fault for not having enough security, as much as it is the hackers fault for breaking in.

Avatar image for demoskinos
#113 Posted by Demoskinos (17293 posts) -
@theanticitizen
@Xeirus

@TheMasterDS said:

I'm going to trust them and leave the password as it is. I really don't care if someone plays my Diablo 3 or Starcraft II account, there's nothing of value there. Well, I suppose if someone got in and deleted my progress or sold off all my stuff that'd be a bummer, but seeing as I haven't played Diablo 3 in months it wouldn't be that much of one.

I felt the same way, haha. I'm not even mad, because I just don't care.

The thing is they would also have access to your email account tied to your battle.net account, and if that's tied to any sort of financial information...well...
Only if you are dumb enough to keep the same password for both services.
Avatar image for mr48
#114 Posted by Mr48 (104 posts) -

@_Horde said:

The security question is "banana".

I think you mean BANANER

Avatar image for penguindust
#115 Edited by PenguinDust (12985 posts) -

I used to think hackers were cool, in-line skating, club kids who fought "the Man" in between sexing up a young Angelina Jolie. I dug their non-conformist lifestyle and their appreciation of classic television. My illusions have been shattered, my admiration is no more.

This is why we can't have nice things...then again, I don't think I have a Battle.net account so who am I to complain? Really, I wanted an excuse to reminisce about Angelina Jolie's breasts.

Avatar image for obsurveyor
#116 Posted by Obsurveyor (48 posts) -

Because of the Real Money auction house, Blizzard might actually be breaking the law by not notifying people about the security breach sooner.

Avatar image for xeirus
#117 Edited by Xeirus (1636 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@theanticitizen
@Xeirus

@TheMasterDS said:

I'm going to trust them and leave the password as it is. I really don't care if someone plays my Diablo 3 or Starcraft II account, there's nothing of value there. Well, I suppose if someone got in and deleted my progress or sold off all my stuff that'd be a bummer, but seeing as I haven't played Diablo 3 in months it wouldn't be that much of one.

I felt the same way, haha. I'm not even mad, because I just don't care.

The thing is they would also have access to your email account tied to your battle.net account, and if that's tied to any sort of financial information...well...
Only if you are dumb enough to keep the same password for both services.

I don't think it's dumb really.

I work tech support for clinics and we have close to 20 different systems we have to keep seperate passwords for, this does not include our personal accounts, so keeping them the same, or at least similar, is almost a must.

Avatar image for avidwriter
#118 Posted by avidwriter (698 posts) -

GG Blizzard. Good to know all those monthly money is going to good use.

Avatar image for korwin
#119 Posted by korwin (3810 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@Demoskinos said:

@theanticitizen
@Xeirus

@TheMasterDS said:

I'm going to trust them and leave the password as it is. I really don't care if someone plays my Diablo 3 or Starcraft II account, there's nothing of value there. Well, I suppose if someone got in and deleted my progress or sold off all my stuff that'd be a bummer, but seeing as I haven't played Diablo 3 in months it wouldn't be that much of one.

I felt the same way, haha. I'm not even mad, because I just don't care.

The thing is they would also have access to your email account tied to your battle.net account, and if that's tied to any sort of financial information...well...
Only if you are dumb enough to keep the same password for both services.

I don't think it's dumb really.

I work tech support for clinics and we have close to 20 different systems we have to keep seperate passwords for, this does not include our personal accounts, so keeping them the same, or at least similar, is almost a must.

No it's dumb, critical services should never share the same password.

Avatar image for lava
#120 Posted by Lava (736 posts) -

Come on hackers, stop being so dumb.

Avatar image for dvorak
#121 Posted by dvorak (1513 posts) -

Just another reason to have two-factor authentication wherever you do business. Because this way, you don't give a fuck even if someone gets your password.

Avatar image for tebbit
#122 Posted by Tebbit (4589 posts) -

"Greetings!
 
It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Diablo III account(s).
As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.
If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. 
It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees.
If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership. 
 
You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:
https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fus.battle.net%2Fd3%2Fen%2Findex&app;=com-d3
 
Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.
 
* First and Surname
* Secret Question and Answer
Show * Please enter the correct information
 
If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.
 
Regards,
 
Account Administration Team
Blizzard Entertainment 
http://www.blizzard.com/support/
Diablo III , Blizzard Entertainment 2012"

Well.

Avatar image for g0rd0nfr33m4n
#123 Posted by G0rd0nFr33m4n (826 posts) -

@Rawson said:

All the more reason to get a fucking authenticator.

You think a company failing to keep your info safe deserves more of your hard earned cash ? ... For failing ? No no! I'll change my password and not give them money, thank you very much.

Avatar image for xeirus
#124 Posted by Xeirus (1636 posts) -

@Korwin said:

@Xeirus said:

@Demoskinos said:

@theanticitizen
@Xeirus

@TheMasterDS said:

I'm going to trust them and leave the password as it is. I really don't care if someone plays my Diablo 3 or Starcraft II account, there's nothing of value there. Well, I suppose if someone got in and deleted my progress or sold off all my stuff that'd be a bummer, but seeing as I haven't played Diablo 3 in months it wouldn't be that much of one.

I felt the same way, haha. I'm not even mad, because I just don't care.

The thing is they would also have access to your email account tied to your battle.net account, and if that's tied to any sort of financial information...well...
Only if you are dumb enough to keep the same password for both services.

I don't think it's dumb really.

I work tech support for clinics and we have close to 20 different systems we have to keep seperate passwords for, this does not include our personal accounts, so keeping them the same, or at least similar, is almost a must.

No it's dumb, critical services should never share the same password.

Feel free to try and manage 20-30 different passwords and get back to me.

Avatar image for condemned
#125 Posted by Condemned (6 posts) -

Been a while since I signed in, thanks for the heads up.

Avatar image for usgrovers
#126 Edited by usgrovers (177 posts) -

I can hardly wait for the all digitial future... the future where we have a unique logon for every single publisher required to play games and this kind of thing happens every week.

Avatar image for xerxes8933a
#128 Posted by Xerxes8933A (226 posts) -

@Xeirus said:

@Korwin said:

Feel free to try and manage 20-30 different passwords and get back to me.

With that many passwords, you should just write them down on paper. These days it's a hell of a lot more likely that some server somewhere will get hacked then someone will break into your house and steal the notepad in your desk drawer.

Avatar image for jakkblades
#129 Edited by jakkblades (423 posts) -

@Xerxes8933A said:

@Xeirus said:

@Korwin said:

Feel free to try and manage 20-30 different passwords and get back to me.

With that many passwords, you should just write them down on paper. These days it's a hell of a lot more likely that some server somewhere will get hacked then someone will break into your house and steal the notepad in your desk drawer.

Here's an idea. Book-encode your passwords. Use the same formula for all your passwords (the third word of chapters 5 9 and 12 for instance) and make that your password, but use a different book for each password.

Avatar image for theanticitizen
#130 Posted by theanticitizen (383 posts) -

@Xeirus @Korwin yes, because, you know, having different passwords GUARANTEES that hackers cannot change/access passwords and information right? Surely they've never thought of that.

Avatar image for doosmacleod
#132 Posted by doosmacleod (190 posts) -

For what it's worth -

I saw a few people saying that Blizzard uses Case Sensitivity -- they don't. And through a blog (which I don't remember anymore, I'm sorry!) a former Blizzard security guy gave a pretty good explanation as to why they don't need to be. All the same, he admitted that it would still be a rather convenient step.

On the plus side, it means you can totally enter your information with the caps lock on. So there's that.

Avatar image for forcen
#133 Posted by Forcen (2252 posts) -

@Xeirus: Get lastpass.

Avatar image for xeirus
#134 Edited by Xeirus (1636 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

@Xeirus said:

@Korwin said:

@Xeirus said:

@Demoskinos said:

@theanticitizen
@Xeirus

@TheMasterDS said:

I'm going to trust them and leave the password as it is. I really don't care if someone plays my Diablo 3 or Starcraft II account, there's nothing of value there. Well, I suppose if someone got in and deleted my progress or sold off all my stuff that'd be a bummer, but seeing as I haven't played Diablo 3 in months it wouldn't be that much of one.

I felt the same way, haha. I'm not even mad, because I just don't care.

The thing is they would also have access to your email account tied to your battle.net account, and if that's tied to any sort of financial information...well...
Only if you are dumb enough to keep the same password for both services.

I don't think it's dumb really.

I work tech support for clinics and we have close to 20 different systems we have to keep seperate passwords for, this does not include our personal accounts, so keeping them the same, or at least similar, is almost a must.

No it's dumb, critical services should never share the same password.

Feel free to try and manage 20-30 different passwords and get back to me.

I do and do you know how I do it 1Password. Easy

But, the fact that you have a bunch of passwords to manage and it's hard to do, doesn't make it any less dumb to have same password for stuff, all it does is justify why you do it.

I think you're all giving me advice for something I don't need... I've yet to be hacked (knock on wood) and I didn't really ask for advice. I was simply explaining why people keep their passwords similar and calling people stupid for doing it when 99% of people are guilty of it just rang a little hollow and pompous.

@Forcen said:

@Xeirus: Get lastpass.

That's a really cool software, I doubt I'll use it, but thanks for sharing I always wondered if something like that was available, maybe one day :)

Avatar image for korwin
#135 Posted by korwin (3810 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

@Xeirus said:

@Korwin said:

@Xeirus said:

@Demoskinos said:

@theanticitizen
@Xeirus

@TheMasterDS said:

I'm going to trust them and leave the password as it is. I really don't care if someone plays my Diablo 3 or Starcraft II account, there's nothing of value there. Well, I suppose if someone got in and deleted my progress or sold off all my stuff that'd be a bummer, but seeing as I haven't played Diablo 3 in months it wouldn't be that much of one.

I felt the same way, haha. I'm not even mad, because I just don't care.

The thing is they would also have access to your email account tied to your battle.net account, and if that's tied to any sort of financial information...well...
Only if you are dumb enough to keep the same password for both services.

I don't think it's dumb really.

I work tech support for clinics and we have close to 20 different systems we have to keep seperate passwords for, this does not include our personal accounts, so keeping them the same, or at least similar, is almost a must.

No it's dumb, critical services should never share the same password.

Feel free to try and manage 20-30 different passwords and get back to me.

I do and do you know how I do it 1Password. Easy

But, the fact that you have a bunch of passwords to manage and it's hard to do, doesn't make it any less dumb to have same password for stuff, all it does is justify why you do it.

This. My job involves me having privileged access to multi government systems... needless to say there's a lot to keep track of and fairly strict security requirements.

Avatar image for majkiboy
#136 Posted by Majkiboy (1055 posts) -

So what about the ol' hackers vs crackers? Does anyone still care (or ever cared) about the difference?

Avatar image for doosmacleod
#137 Posted by doosmacleod (190 posts) -

@Majkiboy:

I think people stopped caring around the time Matthew Lillard started screaming "HACK THE PLANET!"

Avatar image for doobie
#138 Edited by doobie (612 posts) -

must use this as an excuse to remind everyone how little i care about D3. after playing it for 400 hours

don't worry though guys every time a thread or news story even remotely mentions Blizzard or D3 i will remind you all just how much i don't care and i will always finish the sentence with something witty and clever like FUCK YOU BLIZZARD or sometimes even just FUCK YOU

Avatar image for arkasai
#139 Posted by Arkasai (734 posts) -

@Majkiboy: Not much to discuss there, generally people who root iPhones and Android phones are cool dudes in most people's books while Chinese hackers that steal your identity should be shot.

Avatar image for dolsande
#140 Posted by dolsande (41 posts) -

Why did it take so long for them to tell us? The battle.net post is dated 9th of August and they got hacked on the 4th. I seem to remember people bitching at Sony when they took too long to tell people that they had been hacked. Maybe people are just getting used to it, which kind of sucks. Fucking A-hole hackers.

Avatar image for newfiebullet
#141 Posted by NewfieBullet (121 posts) -

My account already got hacked, lost all my items and gold, and the funny thing is I was on the second act in normal so I basically had shit gear. So now I have to start the game over... Great

Avatar image for jayzilla
#142 Posted by Jayzilla (2692 posts) -

Never played a Blizzard game. Kinda stoked now I haven't.

Avatar image for pip_fox
#143 Posted by Pip_Fox (23 posts) -

sometimes i wonder if its always the same person who breaks into these companies' databases and takes our info. Some sort of Dr. Evil-like maniac who plans to hold our email addresses ransom for ONE MILLION DOLLARS. But of course that cant be true...

Avatar image for shaunage
#144 Posted by Shaunage (889 posts) -

As an Australian using a UK copy of the game because it was slightly cheaper, consider me mildly pleased I've avoided this.

Avatar image for corey_f
#145 Posted by Corey_F (24 posts) -

Yea.... So I may have forgotten my secret question answer..... meh then again haven't played starcraft in a while.

Avatar image for mercer
#147 Posted by Mercer (211 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@CrossTheAtlantic said:

@Ravenlight said:

@Bell_End said:

this is why we need biometrics as security pronto. nobody would be able to hack my face

You say that, but it would only be a matter of time.

Clearly, hasn't seen Mission Impossible. It's only a matter of time, people!

Nicholas Cage is way ahead of you guys. Waaay ahead.

I see your Cage and raise you another Criuse: Minority Report :D

But that's a rather more er...extreme form of identity theft lol

Avatar image for imbarkus
#148 Posted by imbarkus (42 posts) -

@Bell_End: No, it's possible. I'm pretty sure I saw that in a Nicholas Cage movie, so it's gotta be true. Wesley Snipes did it with an eyeball on a pen in Demolition Man. you want to lose your eyeball!!?!

Avatar image for smilingpig
#149 Posted by SmilingPig (1370 posts) -

I want my money back...and the time you stole from me Blizzard...and a baby murlock toy.

Avatar image for duskwind
#150 Posted by Duskwind (146 posts) -

I just went through the battle.net password recovery system to figure out just how easy it would be for someone to change my password and log into my account. Seems like Blizzard sends a code to the mobile phone you registered with the account, and only then can you reset the password. So I guess the danger is minimal at best.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.