Should selling your account be against the rules?

#1 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I guess my last post sounded like I was trying to sell my account here. I didn't mean that. My main question should be should selling your account be against the rules? We have Gamestops and other game stores selling all kinds of used games, except for PC games of course. Now, what would make selling you account against the rules? It could be the people trying to make hundreds of dollars off of their top ranking character on World of Warcraft. What about the people that are selling their accounts just to sell the games? People that are not asking for a crap load of money. Are they at a loss because of the dumb asses that want to make a quick buck off of something that isn't real? 

Let me hear your opinions. Should we open up our digital libraries to the used games market? Or should it be closed down just to that user for the rest of his life.

#2 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

One example:  

Account.

NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY HEREIN, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOU SHALL HAVE NO OWNERSHIP OR OTHER PROPERTY INTEREST IN THE ACCOUNT, AND YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT ALL RIGHTS IN AND TO THE ACCOUNT ARE AND SHALL FOREVER BE OWNED BY AND INURE TO THE BENEFIT OF BLIZZARD. Blizzard does not recognize the transfer of Accounts. You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift, or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void.     
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/termsofuse.html
#3 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

People should be smart enough to not want to pay for progress in a videogame with real money.

But yea I like owning a physical thing I can sell.  But that's a far larger debate, isn't it?  It's why I will avoid digital distribution in all practical cases.

#4 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

I got around $450 for a World of Warcraft account I sold in 2007. I understand why Blizzard has a beef with it, but honestly, I'm not against it.

#5 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@oatz said:
" I got around $450 for a World of Warcraft account I sold in 2007. I understand why Blizzard has a beef with it, but honestly, I'm not against it. "
Funny thing is. You could easily just get that account back by calling Blizzard and saying it got hacked, and the person who bought it wouldn't be able to do anything about it. That is the main reason, I will not buy an account. Ever.
#6 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @oatz said:
" I got around $450 for a World of Warcraft account I sold in 2007. I understand why Blizzard has a beef with it, but honestly, I'm not against it. "
Funny thing is. You could easily just get that account back by calling Blizzard and saying it got hacked, and the person who bought it wouldn't be able to do anything about it. That is the main reason, I will not buy an account. Ever. "
Now this I can understand. That's a good enough reason in itself to not have games tied to an account. I mean I do have a Steam account with a crap load of games on it, but there's only maybe 3 games on there that I payed full price for.
#8 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

It should be, IMO.

#9 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Eisen said:
" I think for competitive games, that idea of selling an account goes against the spirit of the games.  Considering Battle.net is a very competitive community, I can very much see why Blizzard does not allow it.  I support them in their decision to prevent accounts from being sold.  It was always very frustrating in WoW having to play with someone who purchased an account with top tier items and yet had no idea what they were doing.  This made it very frustrating for dungeons and raids since many group leaders based position off of gear on whether you get to go or not and you find out that well geared healer you just picked up had no idea whatsoever of their role in the game.  Not to mention the headaches it causes for customer support having to deal with scammers that "sell" and then "reclaim" accounts.  If they were to allow it, then they should make a venue to accommodate the buying and selling of accounts with no chance of scams taking place. "
That's understandable. What about an account like mine. I only have a level 42 mage in WoW, I don't have any online characters in Diablo II, and I never touched the multiplayer in Starcraft II. I was thinking about selling my account, but I can't do it because it's against regulations. But, let's say it isn't, would that be the ideal account to sell?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.