After watching the quick look...

#1 Posted by MikeydCT (564 posts) -

After watching the quick look I want to play this now to see how the game holds up. Anyone else feel the same?

#2 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Yeah, totally. It looks short and some of the mechanics seem pretty mediocre, but I'd definitely like to try it. Gonna see if the redbox in my trainstation has it.

#3 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Not at all!

I was hoping for an offensively bad game.

#4 Posted by EXTomar (4711 posts) -

I'm not sure I'd spend money to buy it new. Maybe rent it or pick it up in the bargin bin? But I'm as surprised as they are it actually has interesting ideas instead of being complete crap.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11918 posts) -

I'm actually pretty disappointed that they both came into the Quick Look ready to dismissively shit all over the game; but, anyway, I agree with their final verdict that it definitely does seem like a pretty interesting game.

#6 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Looks interesting, I'll play it when it's real cheap

#7 Posted by laserbolts (5321 posts) -

I'll probably pick it up when its like 10 bucks or something.

#8 Posted by believer258 (11891 posts) -

If it were maybe three dollars.

#9 Posted by NegativeCero (2999 posts) -

Nope, I've skipped too many good games.

#10 Posted by Cheesebob (1236 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

I'm actually pretty disappointed that they both came into the Quick Look ready to dismissively shit all over the game; but, anyway, I agree with their final verdict that it definitely does seem like a pretty interesting game.

Be that as it may, it was nice to seem them actually wrong about their first impressions

#11 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Satisfy my curiosity. I won't be near a laptop or pc to watch the ql for a few days. What about it has peaked everyone's interest?

#12 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

@BeachThunder: It's a movie tie in game, there was a 99.999999% chance that it was going to be absolute garbage.

#13 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

@Poppduder said:

Satisfy my curiosity. I won't be near a laptop or pc to watch the ql for a few days. What about it has peaked everyone's interest?

The short of it is is that it's a first person shooter but you also get to command battle ships around in the water while you fight dudes on an island. The ships can fire missiles at guys you're fighting if they're within range, they can also get into battles of their own out on the water, and you have to order them around to complete certain objectives for a level too. The first person shooter part of it is basically what you'd expect from a first person shooter, but it's the whole "also commanding battle ships" thing that gives it sort of an interesting mechanic to it.

#14 Posted by EXTomar (4711 posts) -

History has showed that movie franchise games are often quick money cash-in. Why would a game based on Battleship say "This one is going to be experimental!"?

#15 Posted by kurtbro900 (117 posts) -

No because it looks like shit.

#16 Posted by Village_Guy (2568 posts) -

I don't think I'll play it, but I agree with Ryan and Patrick, and I would like to see a more ambitious / bigger budget / more polished game, taking the idea of playing a first-person-shooter where you also control elements of the battle through real-time-strategy like segments that have a direct impact on how your mission will play out on the ground.

#17 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

nooooooooooooooooo

#18 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Seems like something I could rent and get all the achievements for over a weekend.

#19 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I'm interested in checking it out, but not for more than 10 dollars on a console. I might pay a bit more for a PC version. (which I know doesn't exist)

#20 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Cheesebob said:

@BeachThunder said:

Be that as it may, it was nice to seem them actually wrong about their first impressions

Im glad they caught themselves, yah they came into it ready to piss all over it, and it was beginning to look like another bad quicklook with another poor predetermined outcome. but they turned it around.

#21 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

It's a tie in to a relatively generic movie that involves both aliens and modern guns AND the game had a 6 month development cycle. I'd have been legitimately surprised at any innovation as well.

#22 Posted by xXLunchBox87Xx (35 posts) -

Gamefly will be shipping it to me shortly (next week)

#23 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@BeachThunder

It's a movie tie-in for a game that itself seems completely fucking terrible. They had every reason to think the game would suck. The fact that it's apparently just mediocre is a feat in and of itself.
#24 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Cheesebob said:

@BeachThunder said:

Im glad they caught themselves, yah they came into it ready to piss all over it, and it was beginning to look like another bad quicklook with another poor predetermined outcome. but they turned it around.

Yea.... it was really weird though, you shouldn't say you "want" to hate something.

#25 Posted by BeachThunder (11918 posts) -

@Simplexity: @clstirens: @MariachiMacabre: Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that there's a precedent of tie-in games being lousy, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't come into the Quick Look with an open mind. At very least, they shouldn't sound like they've already made up their mind about the game before they've started playing it...

#26 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

The only reason they did the Quick Look was because they expected it to suck. When a completely unanticipated game like Battleship gets a Quick Look, you can expect them to expect the game to be bad. Not saying it's right, but that is how it tends to work.

#27 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Mikemcn said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Cheesebob said:

@BeachThunder said:

Yea.... it was really weird though, you shouldn't say you "want" to hate something.

Yah, I agree, I didn't like that.

#28 Posted by M_Shini (551 posts) -

Looked like a boring shooter with nothing going for it, the battleship thing might have been neat, but not enough to overshadow a generally boring shooter.

#29 Posted by LikeaSsur (1528 posts) -

Give it a week, your interest will die away. First Person Shooters really need to take a backseat for a while, this entire generation is littered with them.

#30 Posted by realkman666 (8 posts) -

I can't wait to try it too! I loved the part where it said "Press X to disarm bomb".

#31 Posted by freakin9 (1114 posts) -

I'm still not so sure their first impression wasn't the correct one. Just like you can't accept what they say when they shit on the game, you can't just naturally assume when they are positive that suddenly their opinions are correct.

But yeah seeing your Battleships doing their thing was kinda cool.

#32 Posted by fisk0 (4092 posts) -

I'll probably pick it up once it's super cheap, until then I hope Double Helix are working on implementing those mechanics in a better game. Doesn't the short development time kinda suggest they were already working on something like this, and maybe got the game done as some kind of prototype to get some publisher interest with?

#33 Posted by Redsox44 (482 posts) -

I was surprised by the movie too, much more enjoyable than I expected and wasn't offensively dumb and was really fun throughout. Liked it more than the jumbled messes that transformers was.

#34 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I just finished this on hardest and its an alright game.  I've played much worse non-movie games this past year alone.  The gameplay itself is actually quite good and fun.  There is more then just a battleship you get to control and its a shame they didn't expand the concept as I'm dying for a good ship combat game. 

Anyway, its a sure rental as its very short like under four hours and has zero replay.

#35 Posted by SaFt (383 posts) -

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The market is overflowing with FPS games, good ones. So i don't see the point in paying for something sub-par.

#36 Posted by BossPanzer (14 posts) -

I'd rather drink my own urine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.