Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Battleship

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 15, 2012

Battleship is a tie-in to the movie of the same name that is loosely based on the board game of the same name. Don't let aliens sink your battleship!

After watching the quick look...

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MikeydCT

After watching the quick look I want to play this now to see how the game holds up. Anyone else feel the same?

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mesoian

Yeah, totally. It looks short and some of the mechanics seem pretty mediocre, but I'd definitely like to try it. Gonna see if the redbox in my trainstation has it.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

Not at all!

I was hoping for an offensively bad game.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EXTomar

I'm not sure I'd spend money to buy it new. Maybe rent it or pick it up in the bargin bin? But I'm as surprised as they are it actually has interesting ideas instead of being complete crap.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm actually pretty disappointed that they both came into the Quick Look ready to dismissively shit all over the game; but, anyway, I agree with their final verdict that it definitely does seem like a pretty interesting game.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Venatio

Looks interesting, I'll play it when it's real cheap

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By laserbolts

I'll probably pick it up when its like 10 bucks or something.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By Justin258

If it were maybe three dollars.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NegativeCero

Nope, I've skipped too many good games.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cheesebob

@BeachThunder said:

I'm actually pretty disappointed that they both came into the Quick Look ready to dismissively shit all over the game; but, anyway, I agree with their final verdict that it definitely does seem like a pretty interesting game.

Be that as it may, it was nice to seem them actually wrong about their first impressions

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Poppduder

Satisfy my curiosity. I won't be near a laptop or pc to watch the ql for a few days. What about it has peaked everyone's interest?

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Simplexity

@BeachThunder: It's a movie tie in game, there was a 99.999999% chance that it was going to be absolute garbage.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FateOfNever

@Poppduder said:

Satisfy my curiosity. I won't be near a laptop or pc to watch the ql for a few days. What about it has peaked everyone's interest?

The short of it is is that it's a first person shooter but you also get to command battle ships around in the water while you fight dudes on an island. The ships can fire missiles at guys you're fighting if they're within range, they can also get into battles of their own out on the water, and you have to order them around to complete certain objectives for a level too. The first person shooter part of it is basically what you'd expect from a first person shooter, but it's the whole "also commanding battle ships" thing that gives it sort of an interesting mechanic to it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EXTomar

History has showed that movie franchise games are often quick money cash-in. Why would a game based on Battleship say "This one is going to be experimental!"?

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kurtbro900

No because it looks like shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think I'll play it, but I agree with Ryan and Patrick, and I would like to see a more ambitious / bigger budget / more polished game, taking the idea of playing a first-person-shooter where you also control elements of the battle through real-time-strategy like segments that have a direct impact on how your mission will play out on the ground.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Totori

nooooooooooooooooo

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

Seems like something I could rent and get all the achievements for over a weekend.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm interested in checking it out, but not for more than 10 dollars on a console. I might pay a bit more for a PC version. (which I know doesn't exist)

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Dagbiker

@Cheesebob said:

@BeachThunder said:

Be that as it may, it was nice to seem them actually wrong about their first impressions

Im glad they caught themselves, yah they came into it ready to piss all over it, and it was beginning to look like another bad quicklook with another poor predetermined outcome. but they turned it around.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By clstirens

@BeachThunder said:

It's a tie in to a relatively generic movie that involves both aliens and modern guns AND the game had a 6 month development cycle. I'd have been legitimately surprised at any innovation as well.

xXLunchBox87Xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xXLunchBox87Xx

Gamefly will be shipping it to me shortly (next week)

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @BeachThunder

It's a movie tie-in for a game that itself seems completely fucking terrible. They had every reason to think the game would suck. The fact that it's apparently just mediocre is a feat in and of itself.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By mikemcn

@Dagbiker said:

@Cheesebob said:

@BeachThunder said:

Im glad they caught themselves, yah they came into it ready to piss all over it, and it was beginning to look like another bad quicklook with another poor predetermined outcome. but they turned it around.

Yea.... it was really weird though, you shouldn't say you "want" to hate something.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

@Simplexity: @clstirens: @MariachiMacabre: Don't get me wrong, I'm aware that there's a precedent of tie-in games being lousy, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't come into the Quick Look with an open mind. At very least, they shouldn't sound like they've already made up their mind about the game before they've started playing it...

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew

The only reason they did the Quick Look was because they expected it to suck. When a completely unanticipated game like Battleship gets a Quick Look, you can expect them to expect the game to be bad. Not saying it's right, but that is how it tends to work.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Dagbiker

@Mikemcn said:

@Dagbiker said:

@Cheesebob said:

@BeachThunder said:

Yea.... it was really weird though, you shouldn't say you "want" to hate something.

Yah, I agree, I didn't like that.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By M_Shini

Looked like a boring shooter with nothing going for it, the battleship thing might have been neat, but not enough to overshadow a generally boring shooter.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LikeaSsur

Give it a week, your interest will die away. First Person Shooters really need to take a backseat for a while, this entire generation is littered with them.

realkman666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By realkman666

I can't wait to try it too! I loved the part where it said "Press X to disarm bomb".

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By freakin9

I'm still not so sure their first impression wasn't the correct one. Just like you can't accept what they say when they shit on the game, you can't just naturally assume when they are positive that suddenly their opinions are correct.

But yeah seeing your Battleships doing their thing was kinda cool.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'll probably pick it up once it's super cheap, until then I hope Double Helix are working on implementing those mechanics in a better game. Doesn't the short development time kinda suggest they were already working on something like this, and maybe got the game done as some kind of prototype to get some publisher interest with?

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Redsox44

I was surprised by the movie too, much more enjoyable than I expected and wasn't offensively dumb and was really fun throughout. Liked it more than the jumbled messes that transformers was.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I just finished this on hardest and its an alright game.  I've played much worse non-movie games this past year alone.  The gameplay itself is actually quite good and fun.  There is more then just a battleship you get to control and its a shame they didn't expand the concept as I'm dying for a good ship combat game. 

Anyway, its a sure rental as its very short like under four hours and has zero replay.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SaFt

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

The market is overflowing with FPS games, good ones. So i don't see the point in paying for something sub-par.

BossPanzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By BossPanzer

I'd rather drink my own urine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.