Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 20, 2014

The sequel to the critically-acclaimed action brawler Bayonetta, this time with a two-player online co-op mode and exclusive to the Nintendo Wii U.

Anyone else a little disappointed with the final fight?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just finished the game last night and....I feel a tad empty. Don't get me wrong, this is a game of the year contender for sure. But hear me out.

Here are the ending events of Bayonetta 1, gameplay wise.

• You fight a very powerful enemy the same size as you and once you defeat him, you shoot a bullet at his head and you yourself actually direct the bullet towards his head in sort of a mini-game style thing.
    • A short baton switch happens and you play as another character with a goddamn high speed motorcycle riding sequence
    • You switch back to the original character and battle a GIANT enemy in an extended fight with even a sort of platforming sequence mixed in.
    • The enemy gets launched into the sun, and you yourself direct it in somewhat of a mini-game style thing.
    • You finish it off by destroying individual pieces of its burned body in a timed sequence.

I may have gotten some of these sequences mixed and maybe I forgot one or two things but I'm pretty confident I got this right. ANYWAY, you get the idea. The final moments of Bayonetta are INCREDIBLY varied and interesting gameplay wise. Bayonetta 2 on the other hand...

• The final fight is an extended battle with a powerful enemy about the same size as you.
    • You launch the enemy into the mouth of a demon with the player directing it.

and um......that's it. Am I the only one who thought that was sort of odd? Like a million different things happened gameplay wise during the final fight of Bayo1, but with Bayo2 it was a LOT less varied. Didn't this bother anyone else?

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I think I would be less disappointed with the final fight if the killing blow wasn't just verbatim the same thing from Bayonetta 1, and by that I mean leading the boss through a goal. The first one was so epic because you lead a god through the solar system and then beat it up while it was burning in the sun. If they did something different than the "direct this thing into the goal" I'd probably be way happier.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killroycantkill: I wouldn't mind at all if it ended on another "direct this thing to the goal," I just wanted MORE battle. and more varied. So many different gameplay things are happening near the end of Bayo1 and here it's just....you fight a guy.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah, after the constant stream of amazing stuff in the rest of the game prior the final boss is indeed a let-down. It's a fun fight, but it really lacks the scale and spectacle of Bayonetta's final chapter. It's like the one blemish on an otherwise fucking amazing videogame.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Yeah, that's really the one flaw of Bayonetta 2. The ending is nowhere near as grand as the first game. And what makes it worse is that they reuse some of the elements from the first game as a callback... but it only highlights the vast gap between punching a god out and drop kicking some dude through the sky.

Now I think the fight with Aseir is way more demanding and requires a lot more effort than Jubileus... but the end of the fight is nowhere near as satisfying.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Belegorm

I dunno, I hated the motorcycle stretch like I hated all other motorcycle bits in that first game, and I really thought that last fight was dragging. By that point I really just wanted to get back to beating up dudes in the other missions though but the whole ending just felt very drawn out to me.

The direct the guy into the sun bit was pretty damn great though :) I wasn't complaining when they reused it in 2 as the expression on the villain's face is just priceless. It did slightly cool my hype though as for both games I had to figure out the controls for directing him, after realising that I HAD to direct him. I failed once in each game not realising how it worked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.