Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 20, 2014

The sequel to the critically-acclaimed action brawler Bayonetta, this time with a two-player online co-op mode and exclusive to the Nintendo Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 developer blog

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

http://platinumgames.com/2014/06/27/character-design-pt-1-bayonetta-and-jeanne/

The keyword for Jeanne’s concept design in Bayonetta 2 is “casual.” Design started when Kamiya came up to me and said “I want to put her on a bike. Draw me a biker suit.”

Jeanne is one of Kamiya’s favorite characters, so most anything Hashimoto and I said would get shot down instantly. I just drew biker suit after biker suit until one was approved. There were actually a few more he liked, but they all maintained a relative simplicity similar to her final approved outfit.

I didn’t intend to accentuate this part of her in my concept art, but Kamiya said Jeanne looks flatter than ever. He was happy about it too, so that’s fine I guess.

http://platinumgames.com/2014/07/04/figuring-out-damage-motion/

For this blog, I’d like to talk specifically about damage motion for enemies. You know, that motion you see when you land a huge deathblow on an enemy and they get knocked back and explode or whatever. You might have never thought that deeply about it, but for an action game, getting the right reaction out of the enemy after you’ve pulled off a killer combo is absolutely critical. Do a slack job and the thrill of battle will turn into a total letdown. Enemy damage motion is something I’ve always regarded as highly important in the games I’ve worked on. I always am asking myself if there’s not something new I can try to create more satisfying combat than before.

My challenge to myself for Bayonetta 2 was to create the right enemy motion for each attack. We had plenty of enemy reactions that would change depending on what attack Bayonetta performed, but I wanted to take this further for Bayonetta 2.

[...]

Doing a little research, I realized that the enemies in Bayonetta 2 have an average of 3.5x the number of reactions as those in the original.

The video certainly makes it look like hitting enemies will be more satisfying with the new attack-specific reaction animations.

http://platinumgames.com/2014/07/11/at-e3/

We were asked all sorts of questions. A favorite question of mine was, “Most games fall back on a hero rescuing some helpless female character. What were your reasons to have Bayonetta feature a strong female protagonist?” This was more a question directed toward the Bayonetta series rather than just Bayonetta 2. There were people who doubted the choice of a female protagonist ever since we first revealed the original game’s development. Our internal team, on the other hand, didn't mind. We just thought it would be interesting to have the main character be a witch. From there, we expanded on the concept: instead of thinking about how a female protagonist would limit us, we thought about what we could do because Bayonetta was female.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

That artwork, so beautiful! I can't wait for this game. Also cool to see a woman in such a forward-facing, high-level position at a Japanese game company.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I just love the way Platinum Games write their blogs and such.

I wish I was a witch and could just summon my hair into any hairstyle I wanted.

This is actually my first job as a full-fledged producer, so being given two titles was quite a sudden crescendo to climax action.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

The failure to include significant original commentary on the starting post of this thread means that it qualifies as spam. Please read our Forum Rules for more details as to what we consider to be spam on Giant Bomb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.