Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Sep 20, 2014

The sequel to the critically-acclaimed action brawler Bayonetta, this time with a two-player online co-op mode and exclusive to the Nintendo Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread

• 193 results
    oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@redhotchilimist said:

Seriously? Those are amazing scores. I'm gonna read a bunch of them(and, I presume, wait for some in-depth look at the mechanics from a youtuber or blogger). Hope this will motivate the Giant Bomb crew to actually play it.

They probably won't, considering their tastes, but Dan is at least reviewing it. If nothing else, we can look forward to a QL of it and maybe see it on Dan's Top 10.

I might be remembering this wrong, but the whole staff was way into the first game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@fredchuckdave: Oh sure, I highly doubt the game will do better than 500k, timely reviews or not. These aren't big-picture thoughts about commercial success I'm having here. It's just that if I had to choose between the game selling 250k and 251k copies, I'd much rather it be 251k for my own satisfaction, because I'm just really invested in the game emotionally or whatever.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@fredchuckdave: Ha! It takes a lot for me to put that kind of time into any game, and in the case of Bayonetta it's looking at the unlock list, remembering you have zero chance of getting a platinum medal on every level because you aren't a wizard and sufficing for playing the first few levels on hard.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh crap. I found myself looking up prices on Wii U now. Sure looks tempting.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#155  Edited By Aegon

Dammit Kamiya...fine. I'll put this on my to-play list now, but I should burn through quite a bit of my backlog before I get to it.

Kamiya, don't be afraid to make an epic scaled Okami / Zelda style game again.

I'd buy it. That's good enough, right?

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Are people really shocked about Gies review? Hell if you listen to his podcast you knew this was coming. Hearing him talk about Mordor was cringeworthy, as well. But hey keep putting those agendas in reviews where they don't belong.

What did he say about Mordor? I can (kind of) understand his "complaints" with Bayonetta, but I havent seen anything that could even be considered remotely sexist in that game.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Corevi
    @humanity said:

@fredchuckdave said:

@starvinggamer: What is the impact of a timely review score on a non-indie game? A 10% boost? 20% boost? Even 10 seems like an extraordinarily high amount, and if we're talking say 100k copies selling 110k isn't going to change that much, even 500k to 550k is a fairly small margin in the grand scheme of things. It would likely have to sell a million or more to be considered a success; probably a lot more than that. Meanwhile I guess be happy the game exists and that publishers are interested in Platinum.

Well in the opening week it sold a quarter of what the original game made on just one of the two platforms it came out for.

So yah. I really want to play it, but I'm not an insane person so I'm not going to, quite literally, waste money on an entire console for just one game. I wish I could say it's tempting but common sense is too strong.

2 games. If you enjoy Bayonetta you will probably enjoy Wonderful 101.

@supermonkey122 He had incredible problems with the stealth kiss in the tutorial

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

LOL Polygon and their neo-puritan prudishness.

GOTY

Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, ... come on Nintendo add a good Metroid game and I'll buy your dumb console.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#159  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: Fair enough. I'll have to be happy playing it in 5 or 6 years I think, but who knows maybe they'll have a Vita-esque Black Friday deal one of these years.

@arbitrarywater: I think Bayonetta teaches you pretty well, even if it is pretty harsh for the first 20 or so hours that you play it, just keep at it and Platinum medals should be in reach. Of course like every character action game a random normal enemy is probably going to be harder than 90% of the bosses. Pure Platinum is the one for the crazy people outside of maybe normal...

No Caption Provided

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Praises Platinum*

Can't freaking wait to get my copy!

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Really sucks that its an exclusive really liked the first one. hell even wrote and posted a review here. I would however bet anyone if this was published by anyone other than Nintendo, it would be getting totally SLAMMED for its female protagonist and how she uses her sexuality. Hopefully they have a clause if it doesnt sell so many copies they can distribute out in a year. Also will be a big measuring stick for other companies, if this doesn't sell, 3rd party will never return to a Nintedno platform. not worth the time.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So Platinum is basically the new Rare from the N64 era? You're buying the console for the Nintendo classics, but staying for the Platinum goodness. Only infuriating thing is EVERYONE complaining that this is a Wii U exclusive. If you people had bought the original in the first place it WOULD have been on other consoles god dammit, Nintendo betting their chips on this is incredibly cool and should be praised by everyone.

Back to the reviews I really dug the Paste review, I've never heard of that site but I might stick around. Super informative review all around.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid: Actually Bayonetta sold really well in comparison to every other Platinum game.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By civid

@kishinfoulux said:

Are people really shocked about Gies review? Hell if you listen to his podcast you knew this was coming. Hearing him talk about Mordor was cringeworthy, as well. But hey keep putting those agendas in reviews where they don't belong.

What did he say about Mordor? I can (kind of) understand his "complaints" with Bayonetta, but I havent seen anything that could even be considered remotely sexist in that game.

Well other than Mordor pretty much only containing one female character, who IMMEDIATLY gets killed off to serve as a plot setup. You know like 90% of female characters in Western videogames. Oh, but that's not sexist, but look over at this videogame with a female protagonist and MULTIPLE female supporting characters all with their own agenda, THAT game is sexist as fuck.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

@civid: Actually Bayonetta sold really well in comparison to every other Platinum game.

That's at least awesome. So why wouldn't Sega publish it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This made me realize that the only Platinum games I've played are Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish(speaking of, I would kill for a 60 FPS current-gen port of Vanquish). I really need to fix that.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

glad ti see the good reviews, too bad its for a system ill likely never own

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@civid: It sold better than other Platinum games, but not well enough to give Sega confidence in funding a sequel. They should be given credit for letting Platinum search for another publisher, however.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This made me realize that the only Platinum games I've played are Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish(speaking of, I would kill for a 60 FPS current-gen port of Vanquish). I really need to fix that.

Luckily most of their games go for pretty cheap. Bayonetta 1, Madworld, Anarchy Reigns and the 2 Viewtiful Joes can easily be found for 5 bucks, God Hand is a PS2 Classic for 10, Okami HD is on PSN for 20 and Wonderful 101 is on Amazon for 30.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By civid

@hailinel said:

@civid: It sold better than other Platinum games, but not well enough to give Sega confidence in funding a sequel. They should be given credit for letting Platinum search for another publisher, however.

Everything about this game just makes me feel better about the video game industry :D Any good post mortem articles on the original? Or maybe just Platinum in general.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@civid said:
    @hailinel said:

Everything about this game just makes me feel better about the video game industry :D Any good post mortem articles on the original? Or maybe just Platinum in general.

Not really. Japanese companies aren't particularly open with that stuff.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@corevi: Sorry to be that guy but actually The Wonderful 101 is $23.59 on Amazon.

I just picked it up last week and it truly is wonderful.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: Thats what Ive been debating for the last several day. All these great Wii U games Nintendo is putting out is making me want to buy one more than the xbox one.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably sit this one out. Not really interested in buying a WiiU and I've never been much of a fan of Platinum, despite their relative critical success.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Today, I ask the Giant Bomb community to do the right thing and donate to my "Buy Milkman A WiiU" Kickstarter campaign. Your help can make this dream a reality.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#176  Edited By cornbredx

Hmm... interesting. I wonder if these reviews are unconscious attempts to perceive a female lead in a game as one of the best games this year, or legitimate criticism found no flaws (besides polygon who I will not comment on more than to say they have a right to their opinion, but they don't like to be constructively criticized so I won't go there anymore). I do really wonder that; I'm not saying it to spark a war. It's on everyone's minds, even if not conscientiously.

Anyway, I didn't like the first Bayonetta. I don't know why, really. Crazy enemies and bosses with insane combat is something I like, but that game never clicked with me. It's cool that it will get some attention, but I would guess that the attention it gets after release will not have anything to do with it's (I presume) solid game play experience.

We'll see. I feel I should leave it at that.

DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: After the reviews hit, I was super pumped for this game. If they had waited until a couple days before release I'm sure this would have inspired a few Wii U impulse buys. Its possible they wanted to avoid comparisons with another game coming out that week, but after looking at the release calendar, I don't know what game that might be.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Yet another reason that proves why I think Polygon is kind of a joke. Not because of a 7.5 revire but because why it got a 7.5 review. Also reminds me why I stopped listening to Rebel FM.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't buy a Wii U for this game specifically, but it definitely made the decision easier.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#180  Edited By TruthTellah

Hmm... interesting. I wonder if these reviews are unconscious attempts to perceive a female lead in a game as one of the best games this year, or legitimate criticism found no flaws (besides polygon who I will not comment on more than to say they have a right to their opinion, but they don't like to be constructively criticized so I won't go there anymore). I do really wonder that; I'm not saying it to spark a war. It's on everyone's minds, even if not conscientiously.

Anyway, I didn't like the first Bayonetta. I don't know why, really. Crazy enemies and bosses with insane combat is something I like, but that game never clicked with me. It's cool that it will get some attention, but I would guess that the attention it gets after release will not have anything to do with it's (I presume) solid game play experience.

We'll see. I feel I should leave it at that.

I can say, after watching someone play the Japanese version, Bayonetta 2 is a heck of a good time. I totally understand why it has gotten the reviews it has. It's just about exactly what it sets out to be.

With that said, if you didn't like Bayonetta 1, then this isn't for you. Bayonetta 2 is almost the perfect sequel to that original game. It fixes some of its annoyances and then ratchets things up even more. It's loads of fun if character action games are your kind of thing.

I can understand some suspicions if the first game didn't click with you, but there's no secret here. There's just a pretty solid game that delivers on what many hoped for in a Bayonetta sequel.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Man, I need to get a Wii U fast!

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

I sure do hope this comes to PC/PS4! Does anyone know how likely/unlikely that would be? (I haven't really been paying attention to the development of this game.)

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@tearhead said:

I sure do hope this comes to PC/PS4! Does anyone know how likely/unlikely that would be? (I haven't really been paying attention to the development of this game.)

It was funded by Nintendo so not likely.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tearhead said:

It was funded by Nintendo so not likely.

Not likely at all, in fact.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By kishinfoulux

@supermonkey122 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

Something about the wife being a damsel and being killed (even though the son was too) and that usual nonsense. Basically "waaaaah a woman was in peril so it's sexist".

@sammo21 said:

Yet another reason that proves why I think Polygon is kind of a joke. Not because of a 7.5 revire but because why it got a 7.5 review. Also reminds me why I stopped listening to Rebel FM.

Yeah I don't even know why I listen to that show anymore. It's just "everything is sexist grrrrr".

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii U exclusive = No buy for me.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Can someone, anyone, explain these two games to me? I remember briefly playing the first Bayonetta and I remember the loading screen lets you try out moves. Other than that, I felt like it was just another 3rd person action game. Am I missing something? Not hating on it, I just don't remember it being as incredible as people say it is. But maybe I missed something?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only seven more plays left on my demo. The controls are tight, the frame rate is smooth, and that terrible song is going to be stuck in my brain for days. This thing seems really good.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

That stinks. You really should get a Wii U, it's great! Secretly best of the new 3 consoles.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone, anyone, explain these two games to me? I remember briefly playing the first Bayonetta and I remember the loading screen lets you try out moves. Other than that, I felt like it was just another 3rd person action game. Am I missing something? Not hating on it, I just don't remember it being as incredible as people say it is. But maybe I missed something?

It's the best playing character action game ever made.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster said:

@redhotchilimist said:

Seriously? Those are amazing scores. I'm gonna read a bunch of them(and, I presume, wait for some in-depth look at the mechanics from a youtuber or blogger). Hope this will motivate the Giant Bomb crew to actually play it.

They probably won't, considering their tastes, but Dan is at least reviewing it. If nothing else, we can look forward to a QL of it and maybe see it on Dan's Top 10.

I might be remembering this wrong, but the whole staff was way into the first game.

Bayonetta the character was even in the running for their award for best new character, and was technically beaten by Mordin from Mass Effect 2, yet they still somehow got confused enough to declare her the winner in the award video. That was pretty fantastic.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#192  Edited By The_Nubster

@hailinel said:
    @oldenglishc said:
    @the_nubster said:

@redhotchilimist said:

Bayonetta the character was even in the running for their award for best new character, and was technically beaten by Mordin from Mass Effect 2, yet they still somehow got confused enough to declare her the winner in the award video. That was pretty fantastic.

I don't remember that, or how into the game they were. Interesting. I think my own general disinterest in that franchise somewhat coloured my idea of how the staff thinks about it.

As clarification, I don't dislike Bayonetta, I just don't enjoy the game very much personally. I think both the portrayal of the character and the design of that game are fantastic though.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Let me see if I understand the situation here. The game to dethrone Bayonetta as the best character action game of all time is Bayonetta 2? I guess that confirms my future Wii U purchase.

I can't believe I'm still salty about this, but Brad seriously needs to play Bayonetta 2. If he thought DmC was good then he should find out what perfection is directly from The Queen.

shora_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai said:

@dudeglove said:

That Polygon review is a useless rant and tells me absolutely nothing.

The Polygon review is a great example of social critique actually ruining games criticism, not because the social critique exists at all, but because the review is almost entirely comprised of that and seems laser focused on that issue alone, and very little of the game. The review itself isn't even all that long, either.

I whole-heatedly agree. Pushing your own social agenda is much different than actually criticism of a work of art.

The sad reality is, (as much as we don't want to accept as developers and we have been trained to not get involved in this social stuff), these shitty social agenda pushing reviews affect the lives of creators and rubbing people of joy of more experiences by that talented bunch. Aside from the metacritic-related bonuses and whatnot, for a AA game, these reviews make or break a game and the livelihood of the studio!

ps. my fav comment of the day was "if she gets a pant-suit DLC pack, is Polygon gonna up the review score now?"

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By BradBrains

Fuck you reviews! I was happy with no games till we 2k14 then this happens.

Even the gamespot review is ecstatic about it and they don't like anything

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64 said:

@asilentprotagonist said:

That stinks. You really should get a Wii U, it's great! Secretly best of the new 3 consoles.

I will eventually! I can only afford one next gen console and that's a PS4 for bloodborne and Uncharted 4.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.