Bayonetta 2 might be cancelled

#1 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

Rumor has it that the development of Bayonetta 2 has ceased due to reorganization at Sega, or something like that.

Regardless of opinions regarding the character and world, I feel that at a gameplay level Bayonetta has become the gold standard in the character action genre.

#2 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4525 posts) -

...da fuck is with that website? The comments there make any other game site look like the fucking paradise. Damn.

Also, if this is true, this sucks beyond belief. The first Bayonetta was amazing.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (24858 posts) -

I didn't realize they had even started on a sequel.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9952 posts) -

Sega being stupid, as always.

#5 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

That game was the best. Why cancel this, you guys? Please don't be true.

#6 Edited by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

This. Way to get me excited for a sequel to Bayonetta and then ruin my day all in one post.

#7 Posted by Tophat666 (232 posts) -

No matter what the name is, Clover or Platinum, they can never catch a fucking break.

Please let this not be true.

#8 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

@Hailinel said:

This. Way to get me excited for a sequel to Bayonetta and then ruin my day all in one post.

Same here ._.

Loved the first one, a sequel would be awesome!

#9 Posted by Anupsis (293 posts) -

I personally did not really enjoy Bayonetta. If this is true it sucks for people who liked it.

#10 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

...da fuck is with that website? The comments there make any other game site look like the fucking paradise. Damn.

Also, if this is true, this sucks beyond belief. The first Bayonetta was amazing.

Yeah, that website is insane.

@YI_Orange said:

@Hailinel said:

I'll be here all week! =p

#11 Posted by EXTomar (4744 posts) -

...and nothing of value was lost?

I think the combat in Bayonetta was the thing that made it work where the world, setting, and characters where a giant "meh" leaving me no desire to see any of that again. I'd rather see Sega take that tech and make a new game.

#12 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Looks like it's true, according to Kamiya's twitter.

#13 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

Fine with me, I didn't like that game very much anyway, especially the aesthetic. I'd rather see them try something new.

#14 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

That not good but maybe something new will arise

#15 Posted by Chris2KLee (2336 posts) -

I really enjoyed Bayonetta, be shame to see it go away, but SEGA is in such a weird place right now I guess they want to hedge their bets or more sure things. Like more crappy Sonic games or something.

#16 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

I feel like something is wrong in the world when God of War has several sequels but Bayonetta doesn't get one.

#17 Edited by EXTomar (4744 posts) -

A new crappy Sonic even featuring "Sonic's crappy friends" will probably make Sega more money than an expensive Bayonetta 2.

#18 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

A new crappy Sonic even featuring "Sonic's crappy friends" will probably make Sega more money than an expensive Bayonetta 2.

The sad truth, of course.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (14848 posts) -

First one was fun but I'm okay with no sequel. I dont think all games need sequels.

#20 Posted by Kidavenger (3557 posts) -

I'm not clicking that link to drive traffic to some dude's shitty ass blog.

Seeing how the developer of the original game is busy making two games right now and they are still posting regular monthly updates about Bayonetta more than 2 years after it's release, I really doubt they plan on abandoning the series.

#21 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3102 posts) -

If somehow Bayonetta had a sequel in development that was canceled, then I say with absolutely no exaggeration whatsoever: Fuck this planet.

#22 Posted by PenguinDust (12523 posts) -

Computerandvideogames.com suggests that it might not be cancelled and an announcement is coming very soon. Of course, this is speculation based of the twitters from Kamiya and Fellow Platinum Games producer Atsushi Inaba. Misinformation and "joke" replies are not new to Kamiya so, this one could go either way, still. I guess we might know when the next Famitsu drops.

#23 Posted by RVonE (4638 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Computerandvideogames.com suggests that it might not be cancelled and an announcement is coming very soon. Of course, this is speculation based of the twitters from Kamiya and Fellow Platinum Games producer Atsushi Inaba. Misinformation and "joke" replies are not new to Kamiya so, this one could go either way, still. I guess we might know when the next Famitsu drops.

Really? That's interesting. Thanks for pointing that out!

#24 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -

God I hope not. Bayonetta felt like the first of those character action games that actually wanted me, a person who isn't the greatest in the world, play it.

#25 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4816 posts) -

The combat for Bayonetta was pretty fun. Everything else about it was a giant bowl of diarrhetic shit, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.