Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Bayonetta

• 58 results
    HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By HisDudeness

(Sorry for the bad English). This always seemed like a must for me, but the fact that I owned a PS3 and the port always received poor reviews prevented me from buying it, because as a fan of Devil May Cry, I knew that a bad framerate really could ruin the experience for this kind of game. So when I finally set up my new shiny and slim Xbox 360, I started thinking of what game I could get that I previously couldn't play, and this one immediately popped into my mind. And I must say... it is mindblowing. I thought I would probably liked it, but nowhere near this. In fact, I could say it's probably my favorite action game for this entire generation. Doing the Climax on that final boss with that ''Fly Me To The Moon'' remix is absolutely unforgettable. The combo combat system is so fine tuned it hurts, and the amount of crazyness in the game fits the tone of the game just perfectly.

Such a bummer that Bayonetta 2 is being released as a Wii U exclusive, but it's better than no sequel at all... the industry really needs more games of this kind. A masterpiece.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HisDudeness

(Sorry for the bad English). This always seemed like a must for me, but the fact that I owned a PS3 and the port always received poor reviews prevented me from buying it, because as a fan of Devil May Cry, I knew that a bad framerate really could ruin the experience for this kind of game. So when I finally set up my new shiny and slim Xbox 360, I started thinking of what game I could get that I previously couldn't play, and this one immediately popped into my mind. And I must say... it is mindblowing. I thought I would probably liked it, but nowhere near this. In fact, I could say it's probably my favorite action game for this entire generation. Doing the Climax on that final boss with that ''Fly Me To The Moon'' remix is absolutely unforgettable. The combo combat system is so fine tuned it hurts, and the amount of crazyness in the game fits the tone of the game just perfectly.

Such a bummer that Bayonetta 2 is being released as a Wii U exclusive, but it's better than no sequel at all... the industry really needs more games of this kind. A masterpiece.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Without sarcasm, irony or any of that shit, Bayonetta is one of my favorite games. Ever. God damn that ending is fantastic.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Canteu

@HisDudeness: Your English is excellent, do not fret.

Yes it's a bummer that Bayonetta 2 is not going to be played by anyone who loved Bayonetta.

Perhaps both a blessing and a curse? For it would not exist without this curse.

I'm 1 achievement away from an S rank, and it makes me feel like a bad person. Might have to repurchase.

edit: odd, that i'm wearing a Big Lebowski t-shirt at this very moment.

No Caption Provided
    LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Canteu said:

Yes it's a bummer that Bayonetta 2 is not going to be played by anyone who loved Bayonetta.

Speak for yourself.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By toowalrus

@LikeaSsur said:

@Canteu said:

Speak for yourself.

I... will probably buy a WiiU for Bayonetta 2. I can honestly say that I can't think of a single other reason to buy one- at the moment, anyway.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Vonocourt

@Canteu said:

Uh, wut...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671

I played the PS3 version a few months back and didn't have any problems with it. Apparently they patched it into pretty decent shape.

On the game itself, I didn't really get it, but I kind of liked its style, so I kept it anyway. Still, I think the pacing is pretty terrible.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Canteu

@LikeaSsur: @TooWalrus: Alright, you guys are nutties! I work minimum wage, and the only reason i would consider buying a Wii-U would be for bayonetta 2. So maybe i'm crazy like you both are!

@Vonocourt: Only crazy people own a Wii-U!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By PandaBear

@HisDudeness said:

Your English is better than 99% of the the people online who claim to speak it as a first language. And Bayonetta is right up there as the best game of this generation. It sucks the sequel is a Wii U exclusive, but Nintendo saved them game from SEGA ... but Sony or Microsoft really should have picked it up... or better yet, Capcom.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Canteu said:

@LikeaSsur: @TooWalrus: Alright, you guys are nutties! I work minimum wage, and the only reason i would consider buying a Wii-U would be for bayonetta 2. So maybe i'm crazy like you both are!

I'm fortunate because I have Bayonetta 2 AND Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to look forward to! Monster Hunter Tri basically justified my Wii existing, so I expect this will be the same story.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Canteu

@LikeaSsur: Damn son, you cray cray!

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

@LikeaSsur said:

@Canteu said:

I'm fortunate because I have Bayonetta 2 AND Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to look forward to! Monster Hunter Tri basically justified my Wii existing, so I expect this will be the same story.

I think it's also a bit unfair to completely discount the Wii/Wii U. The Wii had a few interesting games, they just fell through the cracks a little to easily.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Bayonetta is fantastic.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Miketakon

Bayonetta 2 will end up on a Xbox and a PlayStation.

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HisDudeness

@Miketakon said:

Bayonetta 2 will end up on a Xbox and a PlayStation.

I would love that to happen... but remember this is a Nintendo exclusive we're talking about, not something like Ninja Gaiden's Microsoft exclusivity.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By JazGalaxy

@HisDudeness said:

Wow.

Take your entire scenario and set it up again replacing PS3 for Xbox 360 and you have my exact situation. Only I was so blown away by how terrible the game was, I couldn't finish it. It's honestly the worst game in my PS3 library.

As that one game developer got in trouble for saying, the game is almost entirely gibberish. Characters will randomly intersperse lines that are complete non-sequiters to what was going on just seconds before, and many of their motions and poses are lacking in sense. I tried to stand the story and voice acting for as long as I could and then just resolved to tune it out and just play the action game, except that the game doesn't control well enough to even be fun purely on it's game mechanics. I found myself having problems with the camera and the level design. Pretty much anything that wasn't combat was boring or frustrating.

I think I left off on a part where you're in some strange shangri-la place with waterfalls that you can walk on if you stop time or something? I'm not sure how far that is.

Anyhow, I honestly, for the life of me, don't understand why anyone would like this game. I also think it would interesting to find out how old the fans of this game are. Not to say that people who like it are immature, but I just wonder if it's a generational thing.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Miketakon

@HisDudeness: Keep this in mind Resident Evil 4 was Nintendo exclusive at one point.

Zebracal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zebracal

I probably guess the exclusivity is one way to boost console sales. Just like what they did for Mad World and No More Heroes before. Then again in later years the sequels of those games were released into different consoles.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By pr1mus

I was thinking about that game recently and was wondering, did they ever fix the PS3 version?

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Klei

Bayonetta was awesome. Except for... it's story cutscenes. They started to get so bad in my nerves that I ended up skipping most of them, even the first time I played through. To this day, I have no clue what the storyline is about. And I beat it nearly 7 times. Yep.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By project343

@Klei said:

Bayonetta was awesome. Except for... it's story cutscenes. They started to get so bad in my nerves that I ended up skipping most of them, even the first time I played through. To this day, I have no clue what the storyline is about. And I beat it nearly 7 times. Yep.

I actually really enjoyed the cutscenes. I think her over-the-top persona is spectacular, I think the nonsensical story is exactly what I want from a game like this, and all the cinematic action is really well animated. It very much treads into the 'it's so bad it's good' territory.

Avatar image for themaniacsgnome
    TheManiacsGnome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheManiacsGnome

@Miketakon: Completely different, Nintendo wasn't funding development and publishing RE4.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EXTomar

Bayonetta scenes make more sense if you turn off the audio and just watch the visuals.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bane122

I'm glad you liked it so much. Rarely has a game had me smiling so much when the credits rolled. It's easily one of my favorite games of all time, which has me both excited and a tad worried about the sequel.

I really wish Kamiya was at the helm again but Platinum is a pretty great studio so I have a good bit of faith that at least the gameplay will turn out well, it's the rest of the package I'm nervous about. The first game had a fantastic cast of likable characters and rode a knife's edge between awesome-stupid and just stupid, and it's that balance that I'm nervous the sequel may miss. Bayonetta could very easily have been a pretty sexist game but, they really pulled off the tongue-in-cheek vibe well.

Already got a Wii U so I'm set when 2 comes out.

@Pr1mus: Well, they cut the load times down (through an option to install IIRC) but it still has muddier visuals and a worse framerate than the 360 version. If you've not played it you shouldn't let that stop you. It's still a fantastic game and the PS3 version is by no means broken.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By JJOR64

Bayonetta is an amazing game. Arguably the best in the genre. Really looking forward to Bayonetta 2.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think I liked it more than most people, but damn, that was a fantastic game, I have a great respect to Platinum for creating something of that quality. Like you said, a shame that Bayonetta 2 is tied solely to the Wii U, even if I thought I'd never see a sequel of that game anyway.

Gerriam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Gerriam

@JazGalaxy: Well, I'm 28 and Bayonetta is probably my game of the generation. There just was not a single other game that got me that excited to turn on my Xbox. Probably the only other game this generation that I had such agood time with was Mass Effect 2, but still I think I liked Bayonetta more. One of the main reasons that I got my Wii U was so that I could be able to experience the sequel.

I do think that it is easy to be put off by this game as it is just balls-out crazy. But, I don't know, there was just such a vibe to that game that just made me happy and made me want to continue playing...

So, I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience playing it.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ectoplasma

Bayonetta was my game of the year back then (2010? don't remember). I loved the story as well. I think it's really multi-layered and full of cross cultural reference work.

Avatar image for deactivated-59ec818a3faf4
    deactivated-59ec818a3faf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has to be one of my favourite games this generation. Platinum haven't made a bad game yet, I may even buy a WiiU just to play 2

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By happenstance

I rented Bayonetta when it first came out and remember not liking it at all, cant remember why though. Lately I have been thinking that I probably didnt give it enough of a chance, which happened a lot when I only rented games so Im currently looking for a cheap copy of it to buy again and play through properly.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By TobbRobb

Bayonetta is one of the best games of all time.

Yup.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I am firmly on the side of "Bayonetta is one of the finest games ever made".

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    @Miketakon said:

@HisDudeness: Keep this in mind Resident Evil 4 was Nintendo exclusive at one point.

The problem with this logic is that Nintendo didn't publish Resident Evil 4 after Capcom sold them the rights to the entire franchise, because that's exactly what happened with Bayonetta. 

Sega is a company of fools, and Nintendo took advantage of that fact.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AlexW00d

@Pr1mus said:

I was thinking about that game recently and was wondering, did they ever fix the PS3 version?

I played it the day it came out on PS3. It was fine. The internet just did its thing and blew stuff out of proportion.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By UlquioKani

Bayo is bitchin'

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By musubi

I really liked the game but they should really balance the next one a bit better. There were really easy ways to exploit the combo system to ridiculous effect. Again, enjoyable but there were cracks in the combat system.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Getz

Yep, Bayonetta was pretty good. I dunno. what else is there to say?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By pr1mus

@AlexW00d said:

@Pr1mus said:

I played it the day it came out on PS3. It was fine. The internet just did its thing and blew stuff out of proportion.

but but but.. the internet can't lie! And Ryan too in his review!

It's cool though, i was in the process of coming out with good reasons to not buy Metal Gear Rising because i'm broke and will probably get that instead.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CptBedlam

Bayonetta is weird. I do remember snippets that make absolutely no sense, almost as if I had a blackout after getting drunk. I still know that at some point I was driving a motorcycle upside a rocket that was flying into space... and then I must have passed out or or something and eventually everyone was dancing.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nottle

@CptBedlam said:

Bayonetta is weird. I do remember snippets that make absolutely no sense, almost as if I had a blackout after getting drunk. I still know that at some point I was driving a motorcycle upside a rocket that was flying into space... and then I must have passed out or or something and eventually everyone was dancing.

I've played Bayonetta about 7 times and I'm still pretty confused. Especially story stuff. At somepoint I realized Cereza was Bayonetta and that the person you played as during the flashback stuff was Bayonetta's mom (I think.) But Jeanne was still the same age.

That said one of the best games this gen. Perfect in terms of gameplay.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CptBedlam

@Nottle said:

@CptBedlam said:

I've played Bayonetta about 7 times and I'm still pretty confused. Especially story stuff. At somepoint I realized Cereza was Bayonetta and that the person you played as during the flashback stuff was Bayonetta's mom (I think.) But Jeanne was still the same age.

Wat o_O

Maybe I should play that game a second time.

edit: okay, it's coming back. My memories are still hazy but some of it sounds familiar. Man, what a trip that game was - in a good way. I kinda like the feeling of being mentally exhausted from all that crazy stuff in the game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LiquidPrince

I think I'm turning around a bit on it. Upon release I despised it mostly for it's shitty cutscenes. DMC was always known for bookending chapters with mind blowing cutscenes, so the film roll style thing from Bayonetta really pissed me off.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By toowalrus

@LiquidPrince said:

I think I'm turning around a bit on it. Upon release I despised it mostly for it's shitty cutscenes. DMC was always known for bookending chapters with mind blowing cutscenes, so the film roll style thing from Bayonetta really pissed me off.

Just finish that game and report back. It's not very long. Trust me.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LiquidPrince

@TooWalrus said:

@LiquidPrince said:

Just finish that game and report back. It's not very long. Trust me.

I beat the game years ago. Like the day it was released. I just really hated it. I rebought it recently again though to give it another try, and it's still ridiculous. But god damn do those cutscenes still reek of running out of budget.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PixelPrinny

@TooWalrus said:

Without sarcasm, irony or any of that shit, Bayonetta is one of my favorite games. Ever. God damn that ending is fantastic.

I second this sentiment. Such a fantastic game and I was especially surprised by how much I enjoyed it due to the fact it's not in my usual wheelhouse (that being rpgs and fighting games, mainly). I was not a fan of God of War and I was fairly neutral about the original Devil May Cry, so I wasn't going into Bayonetta expecting to have it ending up on my all-time favorites list. Just goes to show that it never hurts to give games in genres you're not familiar with or particularly fond of a chance.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By golguin

Bayonetta was my GOTY the year it came out (2010 I think). The combat was a fresh take on the DMC formula and I played the hell out of it. I originally used gamefly to rent it, but after playing it for an hour I bought it outright and gamefly sent the cover and everything. I went on to 1000/1000 the game and I didn't do that for DMC4.

Miketakon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Miketakon

@SpaceInsomniac If Sega sold the rights they wouldn't be supervising Bayonetta 2.

No Caption Provided
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#48  Edited By Lazyaza

I can only assume Bayonetta 2 will eventually make its way to PS4 and 720. Exclusive deals don't last forever more often than not and I'm sure it being released on other platforms is merely a matter of time and money.

Least that's what I hope, gosh is the first game so fantastically stupid it's brilliant.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Nottle

@CptBedlam said:

@Nottle said:

@CptBedlam said:

Wat o_O

Maybe I should play that game a second time.

edit: okay, it's coming back. My memories are still hazy but some of it sounds familiar. Man, what a trip that game was - in a good way. I kinda like the feeling of being mentally exhausted from all that crazy stuff in the game.

I'd say the game is at it's strongest when it's not trying to have any emotion to it. Thats when it just gets confusing. I'm still not even sure who is who by the end and I've played it so many times. Kind of weird to think Bayonetta was ever a child.

But the weird story stuff is worth it for Bayonetta playing volleyball with enemies using her hair-demon=hands, or her starting a motorcycle with her middle finger, or Jeanne climbing a tower into space then knocking hair God into the sun.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By Humanity
    @JazGalaxy while the story is pretty wacky I believe most fans are in fact huge fans because of the amazing gameplay and finely tuned combat system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.