Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Bayonetta - Any Buyers?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Diamond:  

I don't, but what I do know is that their inclusions are not down to Sega's involvement with the game, but instead because Hideki Kamiya's a huge After Burner and Harrier fan, In fact, at the end of this video Kamiya begs Sega directly for one of the After Burner arcade machines as a bonus. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#52  Edited By AgentJ

It's a "Platinum Games" game. Of course I'll buy it. Won't be day one, but I will buy it.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By demontium

ME!

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By RsistncE

I couldn't care less about Bayonetta...it's Darksiders that I'm looking forward to, although I do still have to finish Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Uncharted 2, Dead Space and Mass Effect....

@Rebirth1337 said:

" I'm only going to be picking up one DMC/God of War clone this 2010, and that's either Darksiders or Dante's Inferno. "

Darksiders isn't even close to being a straight out action game in the style of DMC or GoW...it's actually closer to a Zelda game than anything I would say (from what I've seen).
    thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By thecleric

Getting Darksiders because I own a PS3. 

Of course they barely show any gameplay of that on PS3 as well.. That seems to be the hot new thing these days, showing everything off on 360.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By ApertureSilence

I had it preordered, but I cancelled after playing the demo. Same with Dante's Inferno.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Zereta

I might buy it but I don't see the hype for this game at all. Tried the demo and well, it was alright but... Nothing amazing. In fact, I don't see how people are much more excited about this than Dante's Inferno, who demo just made me want the damn game right there and then. 

Am I missing something? I really want to like Bayonetta, but I don't see what's so amazing that people are throwing 9s and 10s.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

I will wait and see, but that is just my nature. Actually, as soon as I can get a good deal on it, I will probably get it. No more than $40 for me, though.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Zereta:

One of my replies to Evilsbane in this thread explains a little why, I could go into more detail but it's getting dull. I suggest you simply keep an eye on forth coming reviews and for now watch the videos I've edited into the OP.
    TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#60  Edited By TobyD81

This could be a buy for me, and I'm sure that the dude at my New Year party who played the demo twice will buy one too.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By lethalki11ler

Meh I didn't love the demo so I think it's more of a rental for me. I loved the Devil May Cry games but still Bayonetta didn't really appeal me. I might just be weird/

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By c1337us

I am torn. I thought about getting the Climax edition but I'll only be buying the regular edition and when is still to be decided. Its scheduled for a 7th release which is the same day as Darksiders which I am also interested in getting. I am still recovering from Christmas and the Boxing day sales shopping spree splurge so I can't spring for both on day one. So I will have to decide which one I want to play first and get that and have the other put away. We will see.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Linkyshinks

Just some of the reviews so far... (360 version) 

Edge Magazine

A beautiful and graceful fighting game that lets imagination loose, and winks before slapping Dante, Kratos and every other hero back to the drawing board. [Christmas 2009, p.90]

Eurogamer Spain

The best beat 'em up we've played since God Hand, a game that not only lives to its hype, but surpasses it.

Read Full Review >

1UP

This is as good as action games get. It controls like a dream, is extremely well balanced (not terribly difficult on Normal and incredibly challenging on Hard), has tons of variety, features great retro game references, contains tons of unlockables and challenges to keep you busy after you finish the story, and when it comes down to it, is the best game Sega has published in years.

Read Full Review >

Games Radar (in-house)

It’s an almost flawless exhibition of gaming greatness, which can effortlessly make even the most ham-fisted of gamers feel like they’ve got elite skills. Bayonetta is already an early contender for GOTY for 2010.

Read Full Review >

IGN UK

Bayonetta flies so astonishingly close to perfection. While in essence it’s cast from the same mould as Devil May Cry and the games that followed in its wake, Platinum Games have flourished that template with an imagination that’s impossible not to be charmed by, with Bayonetta’s first five hours enthralling and its latter seven absolutely mesmeric.

Read Full Review >

IGN

The 360 version is vastly superior to the PS3 version on a technical level, so PS3 owners fortunate enough to own a 360 should absolutely avoid the PS3 copy.

Read Full Review >

Multiplayer.it

Bayonetta is truly a masterpiece of the action genre, a fresh, funny and spectacular stylish game also very deep in its gameplay. Platinum Games has definitely made a title that put Devil May Cry and every other action game in shame. Must Buy, period.

Read Full Review >

PALGN

Bayonetta is the new Queen of action games, making other games in the genre feel redundant by comparison. Kratos, Dante and Ryu… eat your heart out because Bayonetta is here.

Read Full Review >

3DJuegos

Bayonetta is a step further in the hack 'n slash genre, a genuine explosion of fun in which Hideki Kamiya discovers his feminine side: a witch killing angels and dancing to the beat of Fly Me to the Moon. In other words, we love you, Bayonetta.

Read Full Review >

Vandal Online

Visually stunning and beautiful, full of imagination and charming details, and excellent gameplay-wise, Bayonetta is a dream come true for those who consider Devil May Cry a milestone of the past generation.

Read Full Review >

Games Master UK

The first truly "next generation" action game and the standard everyone else has to follow. [Christmas 2009, p.70]

Xbox World 360 Magazine UK

The first hack-'n'-slash game which genuinely belongs to this gen, Bayonetta also sets a new standard. [Jan 2010, p.94]

Official Xbox Magazine UK

This is pure videogame from start to finish - escapism at its finest. It reminds you of a time you didn't question why, you just went along for the ride. There's only one question: how the hell do you top it? [Jan 2009, p.92]

games(TM)

Ping-ponging from the sublime to the ridiculous with sass, style and a potty mouth, Bayonetta is a ten-hour journey into both the obscenely brilliant and the brilliantly obscene, but you'll still be playing it for its wealth of extras long beyond that. [Issue#91, p.102]

GamePro

Even after suffering through the grueling battles, the repeated deaths, the campy dialogue and the head-numbingly bad plot, I still had a hell of time thanks to the immensely satisfying combat, the inspired level design and the memorable boss encounters.

Read Full Review >

Game Informer

When you’re chaining combos together, switching between weapons, and punishing otherworldly opponents, Bayonetta is the epitome of its breed. It isn’t so much an evolution of the genre as a well-tuned and highly polished culmination of its history.

Read Full Review >

Official Xbox Magazine

Astonishingly, every one of these dazzling battles is thrilling without overstaying its welcome - and also challenges you without being cheap. [Jan 2009, p.66]

Eurogamer

A game that exemplifies so much of what commentators claim has died in the Japanese game industry. A blast of creative brilliance, both technically accomplished, strategically deep and infused with rare imagination, Bayonetta represents the pinnacle of its chosen niche. [JPN Import]

Read Full Review >
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By artofwar420

I have a tiny bit of hope that they'll do something and make the PS3 version more on par with the Xbox.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @artofwar420:  

PS3 users need to start piling on the pressure on Sega and PlatinumGames as soon as the game hits, if they kick up enough of a fuss in places where their voice will be heard by the right people, I'm confident they'll address the matter. The thing is, Japanese gamers don't give a fuck, they don't kick up a fuss like we Westerners do, so PS3 users will need to be very vocal about the issues. 

You can raise the issues here in a respectful manner: 

http://forums.platinumgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4    

&

http://forums.sega.com/index.php    

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By sloppyjoe

Getting it as soon as I get my $50 gift card from credit card rewards.  Hopefully that's day one!

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Inuzagi

I imported my copy of Bayonetta(PS3) quite some time ago....as you can guess the game is of course great. So far, Bayonetta herself, has not yet dissapointed me with her brand of insanity. Combat moves swiftly and fluidly, and the game offer's up some great humor with references to other games. One thing that I do like though, is that Bayonetta defines itself. It doesn't feel like I'm playing some DMC knockoff, Bayonetta separates itself from other franchises and keep itself on it's own. 

I do see the inspirations for some of the enemies ( certain twin enemies in the game bearing an ode to Agni and Rudra from DMC3), but they still feel as if their own entities.  

Yes as you can guess, I do love me some Bayonetta. Defiantly worth buying if you haven't picked it up (well imported in this case...and yes the game is in complete english when you play if you play it on your PS3).

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By captain_clayman

i wouldn't buy it for full price, maybe used when it gets down cheaper. 

especially becuase i have a PS3 and no xbox

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jeffsekai

YESSS PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I think Bayonetta looks cool and I was all set to get it, but then Darksiders came up all sleeper-style and I like what that games doing more, so I'll have to check that out first.  Bayonetta will be played tho, looking forward to it.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AgentofChaos

I saw a commercial for this on TV and was totally turned off. Not my flavor.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
    @Linkyshinks: Hot damn, that review list might have sold me on this game...
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#73  Edited By Undeadpool

I'm not gonna buy it launch day per se, but it's in my Gamefly queue, so hopefully it'll get sent the day it comes out.

I really did a 180 on this game after that quick look, at first I thought it was just gonna be yet another DMC derivative, but after that Look, I was astounded and interested.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By Xeiphyer

A bunch of stores broke the street date early a few weeks ago, and if you know where to look, the game is already available O_o" 

At first I was really turned off by Bayonetta, but after playing the demo, it just finally clicked. The fighting is a lot more fluid and insane, and the characters are awesome.

I have played the first 2 chapters of the game already, and its pretty amazing! Some cutscenes are pretty damn long too, and not all of them are that filmstrip style, which is cool.. but you cant see half the time.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Inuzagi said:

" I imported my copy of Bayonetta(PS3) quite some time ago....as you can guess the game is of course great. So far, Bayonetta herself, has not yet dissapointed me with her brand of insanity. Combat moves swiftly and fluidly, and the game offer's up some great humor with references to other games. One thing that I do like though, is that Bayonetta defines itself. It doesn't feel like I'm playing some DMC knockoff, Bayonetta separates itself from other franchises and keep itself on it's own.    I do see the inspirations for some of the enemies ( certain twin enemies in the game bearing an ode to Agni and Rudra from DMC3), but they still feel as if their own entities.     Yes as you can guess, I do love me some Bayonetta. Defiantly worth buying if you haven't picked it up (well imported in this case...and yes the game is in complete english when you play if you play it on your PS3). "

That's an intentional design decision of Kamiya-sans. As far as he's concerned, where that series is at now has nothing to do with him, he wanted this game to stand out as being it's own thing, he wanted it to be better. He saw the flaws in that series and elsewhere and then began attempting to capitalize on their shortcomings with intelligent innovation.  

I think your part of a very small band of players wishing that it was more akin to DMC, the majority will be thankful this is different, once they realise so, after actually playing it.  There are still some calling it a DMC clone after all...   
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Shadow

Assuming there's no ridiculous Devil May Cry-style S-rank every mission bullshit, I fully intend to thousand-point this game.

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Inuzagi
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Inuzagi said:

" I imported my copy of Bayonetta(PS3) quite some time ago....as you can guess the game is of course great. So far, Bayonetta herself, has not yet dissapointed me with her brand of insanity. Combat moves swiftly and fluidly, and the game offer's up some great humor with references to other games. One thing that I do like though, is that Bayonetta defines itself. It doesn't feel like I'm playing some DMC knockoff, Bayonetta separates itself from other franchises and keep itself on it's own.    I do see the inspirations for some of the enemies ( certain twin enemies in the game bearing an ode to Agni and Rudra from DMC3), but they still feel as if their own entities.     Yes as you can guess, I do love me some Bayonetta. Defiantly worth buying if you haven't picked it up (well imported in this case...and yes the game is in complete english when you play if you play it on your PS3). "

That's an intentional design decision of Kamiya-sans. As far as he's concerned, where that series is at now has nothing to do with him, he wanted this game to stand out as being it's own thing, he wanted it to be better. He saw the flaws in that series and elsewhere and then began attempting to capitalize on their shortcomings with intelligent innovation.   I think your part of a very small band of players wishing that it was more akin to DMC, the majority will be thankful this is different, once they realise so, after actually playing it.  There are still some calling it a DMC clone after all...    "

No, I never wanted Bayonetta to be more akin to DMC, in fact, just the opposite. It's because Bayonetta manage's to be on it's own, that I love it even more.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Linkyshinks

lol, I thought you said don't like :)

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Inuzagi

Eh, it's no problem. So which version of Bayonetta are you going to get?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Linkyshinks

I haven't slept, that's what it is... 

360 all the way.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Shadow said:
    " Assuming there's no ridiculous Devil May Cry-style S-rank every mission bullshit, I fully intend to thousand-point this game. "
    OH you are going to be dissapointed. I expect an achievement for getting Pure Platinum on the hardest difficulty on every chapter.
    Avatar image for 45hefvserg 34t34 t3
    45ysdfgsd g35t3t54 3t4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#83  Edited By the8bitNacho

Yep, day one here.  This along with season two of Chuck and Darksiders have my wallet conquered.

Inuzagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Inuzagi

Their is no trophy for getting Pure Platinum on every mission....so I would assume the achievements would be the same. I'll probably go ahead and try to get Pure Platinum on every mission (old DMC habit), so even if their was a trophy like that, I'd get it eventually.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @bmassah said:

" I don't think the PS3 problems are actually Sega's fault. I think its more because the game was made to utilize the strengths of a 360, then ported over to the PS3 which has different hardware.  

Read this, its a really good article.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff  "

There are many multi-plats games designed that very way, and they don't fall this badly. This is ultimately Sega's fault, they should have been well aware this would be an issue, knowing full well that PlatinumGames is a western focused developer (-XBOX360), and knowing the technical demands of the game were very high. They should have worked closely with PlatinumGames to combat this at the design stage, but they didn't. They appear to have chosen not to direct sufficient resources needed to prevent this.  

There is no valid excuse as far as I'm concerned, Sega have failed miserably with the PS3 version. It was a cheap knock out from them.
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By artofwar420
    @Linkyshinks: The real problem is that the just handed the port development to Sega, and kinda brushed it off. Either they didn't have the resources/time to spend on the port or they don't care about the PS3. They're great devs and if we make noise I guess they gotta do something... like write a blog post explaining why they can't do anything. We shall see.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @artofwar420 said:

" @Linkyshinks: The real problem is that the just handed the port development to Sega, and kinda brushed it off. Either they didn't have the resources/time to spend on the port or they don't care about the PS3. They're great devs and if we make noise I guess they gotta do something... like write a blog post explaining why they can't do anything. We shall see. "

PlatinumGames are a tiny developer with small resources, at the time they were already spread thin working on a few on going projects, there was never going to be an optrion of an in-house team working on a PS3 version, because they've got little to no experience of programing for Cell processor. The big men at Sega gave them a very lucrative publishing deal ages ago, saying they could  take care of the ports and in maximize PG's profits by making it multi-plat and bringing it to PS3. It must have been very tempting for a fledgling company... Initially, this was never going to be a multi-plat, there's been no official word on that, but I'm pretty sure  that was the case. When I first heard about PlatinumGames I got the distinct impression they would be a 360 centric development house, who would be focused primarily on the Western market (they said so), Like it or not, that means XBOX 360.  

I would prefer it if we kept PS3 V 360 discussion in this relevant thread, there's no need to pollute this thread, I know none of you may not mean to do so, but the fact is these things have a habit of snowballing:  http://www.giantbomb.com/bayonetta/61-20710/so-its-official-bayonetta-on-ps3-sucks/35-379328/#103
    artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By artofwar420
    @Linkyshinks: In that case I'm very grateful we're getting Bayonetta in its current state. Bettter than not getting it.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Linkyshinks

Yea, I guess the PS3 users should be grateful, but of course the reality is that they wont be.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I will likely be getting this very soon after release, I loved the DMC games. I anticipate this will be one of those games where I love the gameplay and hate the characters and story, e.g. Infamous.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:

" I will likely be getting this very soon after release, I loved the DMC games. I anticipate this will be one of those games where I love the gameplay and hate the characters and story, e.g. Infamous. "

The cut scenes are so bad their hilarious, and characters so extreme they're comedic -  inspired by God Hand.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#92  Edited By calidan777

Yeah I'm definitely picking this up day one, I really enjoyed the demo and can't wait to play the full game. Though I have to disagree with you that the combat goes way beyond that of Ninja Gaiden or God of War. GoW I can see as it's pretty much a button masher with some depth, but Ninja Gaiden has tons of depth to the combat, plus we won't know the full depth of Bayonetta until it ships so I'll hold my judgement until then. But yeah, very excited to get this game : )

Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Siris

hmm I want to like this game, but it looks like the same games I've already played.. with new visuals.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By LiquidSwords
    @Siris said:
    " hmm I want to like this game, but it looks like the same games I've already played.. with new visuals. "
    What game isn't?
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Ghostiet

The PS3 demo had too inconsistent framerate for me to enjoy it. F that.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Seppli

I wait for the bargain bin release. Not big into straight forward hack 'n slash stuff.

Opting for Darksiders instead. I want some Zelda in my hack 'n slash action. More of an action adventure guy myself.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Ghostiet said:
    " The PS3 demo had too inconsistent framerate for me to enjoy it. F that. "

Buy a 360 *tickle*
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Ghostiet said:
    " The PS3 demo had too inconsistent framerate for me to enjoy it. F that. "
      Buy a 360 *tickle* "

Ok, I'll buy a console that is not supported in Poland by any means (in contrary to the PS3), with games I don't really have much interest right now, that requires me to pay 40 bones to enjoy playing with other dudes and gives me shit like last.fm or Facebook that I don't care about just for a game I barely had any interest and that my friend is already buying.

I am a trophy whore, sir, but I have limits.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#99  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Ghostiet: Whoa calm down, did the 360 kill your mother or something
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Ghostiet

@Whisperkill: I was calm. I'm no Sony fanboy, I just dislike that kind of advice as much as the "WHY IS [insert PS3/Xbox 360/Wii/PC game] NOT ON [insert Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/PC]" bitching. Also, it's sometimes hard to love the X360 in Poland, because Microsoft plays us like assholes - they include Polish interface in the NXE, but we still can't have a normal XBL/Games for Windows account. No, instead we have to make fucking hotmail accounts in Ireland or Bangladesh.

Besides, I'm bros with Linkyshinks, nigga. We're following each other. That means something!

EOT, anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.