Bayonetta Early Access Demo Impressions

Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -

So I entered a giveaway that g4tv.com had hosted and the 3000 early access codes were given away and I sure was one of those lucky 3000 who got it. Of course I got excited when I got the email that congratulated me for winning it. So its coming out tomorrow but I kind of want to tell my perspective of the demo that I played. 

First thing I noticed is that the demo for the Xbox 360 is changed some compared to the Xbox 360 demo that Jeff and Vinny did a quick look on. It was disappointing because I wanted to see more of the hound popping out again and tearing its foes into shreds. They added another part in the beginning of the demo of you fighting angels on giant debris of what seems to be a clock tower and only show you part of Verse 4 which I guess means segment of the area. The beginning of the 360 Demo is far out insane! Although strange that she's standing and running on a giant piece of debris and killing all these angels, while all of this is falling in midair. While it may seem to break almost all of Newtons laws, its still very amazing nonetheless. The controls for this game are somewhat different and its not using exact God of War controls at all. Normally these action games you can get away with button mashing, but even on the normal difficulty I really had to dodge because the enemies really chip away at your health at a pretty fast rate if your not careful. In a nice addition if you dodge at the right moment, you enter in Witch Time (let the puns begin!) which is the slo mo of the game and it really gives you that edge you need to kill them. You can also use Torture attacks which is a finishing move and she summons up an iron maiden and seeing her pushing an angel into is very cool to watch.

Also the game is surprisingly stunning to look at; I kept getting distracted from the visuals when I was playing the game. Also it was very smooth the whole way, nice 60 frames per second that never seemed to drop during my playthrough. Also with great graphics comes with satisfying gore! Whenever you do a torture attack to the angels I mean they get ripped to pieces and all you see is red chunks flying everywhere. I was very entertained throughout the demo and I'm definitely keeping a good eye on this game because I really like what I saw so far.  

EDIT: Shout out to  SpaceInsomniac for telling me it was actually difference was between the PS3 and Xbox 360 demo and not Japanese and US demo.

#1 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -

So I entered a giveaway that g4tv.com had hosted and the 3000 early access codes were given away and I sure was one of those lucky 3000 who got it. Of course I got excited when I got the email that congratulated me for winning it. So its coming out tomorrow but I kind of want to tell my perspective of the demo that I played. 

First thing I noticed is that the demo for the Xbox 360 is changed some compared to the Xbox 360 demo that Jeff and Vinny did a quick look on. It was disappointing because I wanted to see more of the hound popping out again and tearing its foes into shreds. They added another part in the beginning of the demo of you fighting angels on giant debris of what seems to be a clock tower and only show you part of Verse 4 which I guess means segment of the area. The beginning of the 360 Demo is far out insane! Although strange that she's standing and running on a giant piece of debris and killing all these angels, while all of this is falling in midair. While it may seem to break almost all of Newtons laws, its still very amazing nonetheless. The controls for this game are somewhat different and its not using exact God of War controls at all. Normally these action games you can get away with button mashing, but even on the normal difficulty I really had to dodge because the enemies really chip away at your health at a pretty fast rate if your not careful. In a nice addition if you dodge at the right moment, you enter in Witch Time (let the puns begin!) which is the slo mo of the game and it really gives you that edge you need to kill them. You can also use Torture attacks which is a finishing move and she summons up an iron maiden and seeing her pushing an angel into is very cool to watch.

Also the game is surprisingly stunning to look at; I kept getting distracted from the visuals when I was playing the game. Also it was very smooth the whole way, nice 60 frames per second that never seemed to drop during my playthrough. Also with great graphics comes with satisfying gore! Whenever you do a torture attack to the angels I mean they get ripped to pieces and all you see is red chunks flying everywhere. I was very entertained throughout the demo and I'm definitely keeping a good eye on this game because I really like what I saw so far.  

EDIT: Shout out to  SpaceInsomniac for telling me it was actually difference was between the PS3 and Xbox 360 demo and not Japanese and US demo.

#2 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3903 posts) -

Been playing the early access demo for a couple weeks now.  It's not that there's a Japanese demo and a US demo, it's that there is a PS3 demo and a 360 demo.  Both are slightly different from each other.  This was likely done because the clock tower level that opens the 360 demo slows to a crawl on the PS3.  To compensate for the lack of the clock tower level, the rest of the demo goes on for a bit longer in the PS3 version.

And I'll agree that the game does seem pretty great.  I might even pick it up day one, which I didn't do for any Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden game, despite my enjoyment of those titles.

#3 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac said:
" Been playing the early access demo for a couple weeks now.  It's not that there's a Japanese demo and a US demo, it's that there is a PS3 demo and a 360 demo.  Both are slightly different from each other.  This was likely done because the clock tower level that opens the 360 demo slows to a crawl on the PS3.  To compensate for the lack of the clock tower level, the rest of the demo goes on for a bit longer in the PS3 version.  And I'll agree that the game does seem pretty great.  I might even pick it up day one, which I didn't do for any Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden game, despite my enjoyment of those titles. "
Okay now it makes more sense, because it was different compared to the quick look that Jeff and Vinny did although the QL is pretty hilarious at the end. Its going to be an interesting Q1 with all these 3rd person action games coming out such as Dante's Inferno and God of War III, I wonder how it will fare with all this competition.
#4 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@SpaceInsomniac said:

" Been playing the early access demo for a couple weeks now.  It's not that there's a Japanese demo and a US demo, it's that there is a PS3 demo and a 360 demo.  Both are slightly different from each other.  This was likely done because the clock tower level that opens the 360 demo slows to a crawl on the PS3.  To compensate for the lack of the clock tower level, the rest of the demo goes on for a bit longer in the PS3 version.  And I'll agree that the game does seem pretty great.  I might even pick it up day one, which I didn't do for any Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden game, despite my enjoyment of those titles. "

This.
#5 Posted by mondo625 (37 posts) -

Just played the demo and sadly I'm not a fan. There was too much going on, and during the clock tower part I couldnt tell where the attacks were coming from.  I might pick this up down the road when the price drop but not anytime soon. I rather the other action game coming out the same day. (darksiders)
#6 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3903 posts) -
@mondo625: @mondo625 said:
" Just played the demo and sadly I'm not a fan. There was too much going on, and during the clock tower part I couldnt tell where the attacks were coming from.  I might pick this up down the road when the price drop but not anytime soon. I rather the other action game coming out the same day. (darksiders) "
The clock tower level is meant to be crazy.  Most of the game shouldn't be like that.  As for telling where attacks are coming from, listen for the sounds weapons make before they hit you, and watch for the glow of the weapons.  There are both audio and visual cues, but you have to focus.  It took me a handful of times playing though the demo, but I've become much better at noticing attacks before they hit me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.