Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Bayonetta is nuts

snorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By snorge

The quick look of Bayonetta really wet my appetite for that game. A great visual style mixed with satisfying combat sounded and looked terrific. Yet, I hesitated buying the game right away, mainly because at that time I still had some other games that I wanted to finish first.

However, last week I finally picked up Bayonetta for my XBox360. After installing it to the hard drive I fired it up and was curious how the actual gameplay would turn out. So there I was, watching the introduction sequence and listening to how the story began. At some point I was wondering why the animations of the main character had suddenly stopped while the dialog was still going on. It took a few seconds more until I realised that I was actually already knee-deep in the game and that I had control over Bayonetta, who was already being attacked by weird creatures. Not knowing the controls I hecticly started to push buttons on my gamepad. After some brief and uncontrolled fighting the sequence was over. Man, what a start! Unfortunately I missed a good chunk of the background story because I was so occupied figuring out the controls, that I didn't pay that much attention to what was spoken. Bummer, but I thought I would catch up with what is going on. Well, I did, but it literally took me the whole game to figure out what this was all about and I am still not sure if I got everything right.

As stated in the quick look and review, the game is a little over-the-top. Well, that is clearly one giant understatement. The whole game is just so fucking nuts. The whole fictional world in which this game takes place, seems to come straight out of the twisted brain of a madman. The character designs, especially the boss fights, are totally nuts and insane. The level design is stunningly beautiful but at the same time absolutely weird. At some point in the game I figured out that there is actually some sort of parallel dimension which is why everybody is translucent and nobody can see me. The transitions from one dimension to the other wasn't always that clear to me. More than once I was asking myself what the fuck is going on, when in one moment I was just strolling through a nice and old city or hanging out at some airbase, and in the next moment I find myself running through outer space or sitting on top of a giant rocket. In short: for me personally a whole freaking lot of Bayonetta doesn't make any sense. The game often feels like "Oh hey, here is a nice open area. Why don't we just pop in an insanely giant boss monster with multiple heads and tentacles and rocket launchers for arms and teeth and other freaky stuff!? Why it is here? Well, I don't know but it looks cool and you can fight it with your guns, your sword, your torture instruments and whatever creepy-ass enormous animal happens to materialize out of your hairdo." Yeah, awesome! To be fair, the fighting actually DOES feel satisfying. But there are A LOT of different attacks and combos, far more than I was willing to memorize. So I ended up using the same three or four attacks throughout the entire game. Thus, as the game progressed, the fight became more and more repetitive.

I finished the game in about 15 hours and despite all criticism I really enjoyed it. During that time I've seen a whole lot of fucking ridicolous stuff, fought against insanely designed monsters and bosses and finally somehow managed to save the universe. Seeing the credits roll, I felt relieved. Then realizing it wasn't over yet, because I still had to fight the most badass boss ever, made me want to scream in agony. After some more button mashing I was once again victorious. Credits rolled again and I leaned back - only to find myself fighting again a couple of moments later. Then the screen went black. Then Bayonetta and all her friends and foes danced for me. Then the game said congratulations. Then it told me that I had unlocked some handguns. Finally it told me I had unlocked a new difficulty setting and that I could now play through the game again in "hard" mode. I decided I will never do that, because I am not nuts - but Bayonetta is.

snorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By snorge

The quick look of Bayonetta really wet my appetite for that game. A great visual style mixed with satisfying combat sounded and looked terrific. Yet, I hesitated buying the game right away, mainly because at that time I still had some other games that I wanted to finish first.

However, last week I finally picked up Bayonetta for my XBox360. After installing it to the hard drive I fired it up and was curious how the actual gameplay would turn out. So there I was, watching the introduction sequence and listening to how the story began. At some point I was wondering why the animations of the main character had suddenly stopped while the dialog was still going on. It took a few seconds more until I realised that I was actually already knee-deep in the game and that I had control over Bayonetta, who was already being attacked by weird creatures. Not knowing the controls I hecticly started to push buttons on my gamepad. After some brief and uncontrolled fighting the sequence was over. Man, what a start! Unfortunately I missed a good chunk of the background story because I was so occupied figuring out the controls, that I didn't pay that much attention to what was spoken. Bummer, but I thought I would catch up with what is going on. Well, I did, but it literally took me the whole game to figure out what this was all about and I am still not sure if I got everything right.

As stated in the quick look and review, the game is a little over-the-top. Well, that is clearly one giant understatement. The whole game is just so fucking nuts. The whole fictional world in which this game takes place, seems to come straight out of the twisted brain of a madman. The character designs, especially the boss fights, are totally nuts and insane. The level design is stunningly beautiful but at the same time absolutely weird. At some point in the game I figured out that there is actually some sort of parallel dimension which is why everybody is translucent and nobody can see me. The transitions from one dimension to the other wasn't always that clear to me. More than once I was asking myself what the fuck is going on, when in one moment I was just strolling through a nice and old city or hanging out at some airbase, and in the next moment I find myself running through outer space or sitting on top of a giant rocket. In short: for me personally a whole freaking lot of Bayonetta doesn't make any sense. The game often feels like "Oh hey, here is a nice open area. Why don't we just pop in an insanely giant boss monster with multiple heads and tentacles and rocket launchers for arms and teeth and other freaky stuff!? Why it is here? Well, I don't know but it looks cool and you can fight it with your guns, your sword, your torture instruments and whatever creepy-ass enormous animal happens to materialize out of your hairdo." Yeah, awesome! To be fair, the fighting actually DOES feel satisfying. But there are A LOT of different attacks and combos, far more than I was willing to memorize. So I ended up using the same three or four attacks throughout the entire game. Thus, as the game progressed, the fight became more and more repetitive.

I finished the game in about 15 hours and despite all criticism I really enjoyed it. During that time I've seen a whole lot of fucking ridicolous stuff, fought against insanely designed monsters and bosses and finally somehow managed to save the universe. Seeing the credits roll, I felt relieved. Then realizing it wasn't over yet, because I still had to fight the most badass boss ever, made me want to scream in agony. After some more button mashing I was once again victorious. Credits rolled again and I leaned back - only to find myself fighting again a couple of moments later. Then the screen went black. Then Bayonetta and all her friends and foes danced for me. Then the game said congratulations. Then it told me that I had unlocked some handguns. Finally it told me I had unlocked a new difficulty setting and that I could now play through the game again in "hard" mode. I decided I will never do that, because I am not nuts - but Bayonetta is.

wutaiSTYLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wutaiSTYLE

I think you meant Bayonetta is ass. As in datass.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Genjai

hehe, glad you enjoyed it! The demo was enough nuts for me. But, I was never a Devil May Cry fan, either. Probably a good idea not to do hard ;^)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.