Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Bayonetta things

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

Good things first. This game is awesome. At first i thought this was going to be some exploitative titty party, but instead B turns out to be a pretty good character. She's certainly oversexed, but the vulgarity of it all somehow removes it from titillation and into the realm of.. Empowerment? She's the first female action game hero (for a game of this sort) that i think actually works. My girlfriend said, after watching me play it for a couple hours, that this is the "gayest game she has ever seen", and she means that in the best way. It's just a total gay-parade of a game. Just nothing but flamboyance and skin and celebration of being something else. I heart it.

I'm really enjoying the witch-time dynamic. Like Ninja Gaiden (my favorite action game series by far), it trains you to look for patterns on a screen-wide scale instead of concentrating on one enemy alone, and getting pure platinum medals feels well earned and very satisfying. It's funny how the defining factor of games like this tend to be how you avoid damage, rather than dish it out. The combat is mashy enough to be effective under stress (there's a lot of that), but deep enough with its timing windows that you can really lay on the murder on individual enemies if you wish (you typically wish). The boss fights are truly epic. The result is, for the most part, a game where you'll happily replay levels for better ratings, simply because it feels fair, and a clean victory is up to YOU, not the odds the game throws you. For all the talk about how western development is "taking over", i haven't seen a western title that nails this aspect of an action game ever, and i hope Japanese devs are proud of this.

It does, however, have a bunch of flaws. It's a game after all, games have flaws. Typically the camera will treat you pretty good, but i have had enough camera freakouts to mess up my flow. It's not as thoroughly borked as the Ninja Gaiden 2 camera was, but it's certainly in the way more than you'd like. It made me think of how much flak NG2 got for its camera, and how little I've heard about Bayonetta's. Worse is the absolutely ridiculous story. I don't mind a ridiculous story, but in Bayonetta, there's a lot of it. Lengthy cutscenes offer nothing of interest, with reams and reams of dialogue that for the most part don't even make sense. It just won't shut up! It doesn't help that the landscape is strewn with tomes of lore. For a game that's so absolutely retarded (i mean that in a good way), this abundance of self-important lore is baffling.

The worst bit by FAR has been a level I'll characterize as straight up "broken". Ostensibly a bike racing.. thing.. It instead suffers dramatically from absolutely abysmal physics, repetitive design, and a section where i would fall through the ground on every single pass until i started slamming the jump button randomly until i somehow made it across. This whole level seems absolutely amateurish compared to the sheen of the rest of the game, and i wish Platinum had straight up cut it from the game. I don't ever want to play it again.

But my god. I'll recommend this game to anyone up for a crazy Japanese variety cabaret show filled with ridiculous characters and over the top madness. I haven't had this kind of base joy playing a game in a very long time. I hope it sells well and Platinum get to make more of this.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

Good things first. This game is awesome. At first i thought this was going to be some exploitative titty party, but instead B turns out to be a pretty good character. She's certainly oversexed, but the vulgarity of it all somehow removes it from titillation and into the realm of.. Empowerment? She's the first female action game hero (for a game of this sort) that i think actually works. My girlfriend said, after watching me play it for a couple hours, that this is the "gayest game she has ever seen", and she means that in the best way. It's just a total gay-parade of a game. Just nothing but flamboyance and skin and celebration of being something else. I heart it.

I'm really enjoying the witch-time dynamic. Like Ninja Gaiden (my favorite action game series by far), it trains you to look for patterns on a screen-wide scale instead of concentrating on one enemy alone, and getting pure platinum medals feels well earned and very satisfying. It's funny how the defining factor of games like this tend to be how you avoid damage, rather than dish it out. The combat is mashy enough to be effective under stress (there's a lot of that), but deep enough with its timing windows that you can really lay on the murder on individual enemies if you wish (you typically wish). The boss fights are truly epic. The result is, for the most part, a game where you'll happily replay levels for better ratings, simply because it feels fair, and a clean victory is up to YOU, not the odds the game throws you. For all the talk about how western development is "taking over", i haven't seen a western title that nails this aspect of an action game ever, and i hope Japanese devs are proud of this.

It does, however, have a bunch of flaws. It's a game after all, games have flaws. Typically the camera will treat you pretty good, but i have had enough camera freakouts to mess up my flow. It's not as thoroughly borked as the Ninja Gaiden 2 camera was, but it's certainly in the way more than you'd like. It made me think of how much flak NG2 got for its camera, and how little I've heard about Bayonetta's. Worse is the absolutely ridiculous story. I don't mind a ridiculous story, but in Bayonetta, there's a lot of it. Lengthy cutscenes offer nothing of interest, with reams and reams of dialogue that for the most part don't even make sense. It just won't shut up! It doesn't help that the landscape is strewn with tomes of lore. For a game that's so absolutely retarded (i mean that in a good way), this abundance of self-important lore is baffling.

The worst bit by FAR has been a level I'll characterize as straight up "broken". Ostensibly a bike racing.. thing.. It instead suffers dramatically from absolutely abysmal physics, repetitive design, and a section where i would fall through the ground on every single pass until i started slamming the jump button randomly until i somehow made it across. This whole level seems absolutely amateurish compared to the sheen of the rest of the game, and i wish Platinum had straight up cut it from the game. I don't ever want to play it again.

But my god. I'll recommend this game to anyone up for a crazy Japanese variety cabaret show filled with ridiculous characters and over the top madness. I haven't had this kind of base joy playing a game in a very long time. I hope it sells well and Platinum get to make more of this.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

The worst bit by FAR has been a level I'll characterize as straight up "broken". Ostensibly a bike racing.. thing.. It instead suffers dramatically from absolutely abysmal physics, repetitive design, and a section where i would fall through the ground on every single pass until i started slamming the jump button randomly until i somehow made it across    

What!, the bike sequence was fucking awesome, I had no problems what so ever with the level. I certainly didn't jump repeatedly, lol

absolutely abysmal physics, repetitive design 

Fail, you seem unaware of a certain Sega made motorcycle game, a game called Hang On, the game that actually inspired the level  >_> 
    Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sunjammer

Of course I'm aware of Hang On. This game is wall to wall references. No amount of referencing pardons poor gameplay. In a game filled with sweetness, the biking bit stands in sharp relief.  Super Hang On was better.

Holy christ. It's the section right after the first required jump. Landing the first jump puts you on another tilted bridge segment. If you don't jump after that segment, you'll clip through the next, flip 90 degrees to the right and fall to your death. If you DO jump that segment, the camera will make a momentary freakout before BAM, suddenly you're driving straight ahead someplace else. I can reproduce this shit every single time. Abysmal. Out of everyone I've discussed this with today, you're the first to have no issue with it. We must be playing different games.

Arjuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Arjuna

The bike riding level was exhilarating and great fun!  I only missed one jump, and it was my fault.  I was surprised how easy it was compared to the difficulty of the rest of the game.  Falling through the ground?  That sounds serious.  I wonder why Ryan Davis never mentioned anything about this in his review.  I guess it never happened to him either.  If you're falling through the ground, then maybe your Xbox is broken.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

@Arjuna said:

" The bike riding level was exhilarating and great fun!  I only missed one jump, and it was my fault.  I was surprised how easy it was compared to the difficulty of the rest of the game.  Falling through the ground?  That sounds serious.  I wonder why Ryan Davis never mentioned anything about this in his review.  I guess it never happened to him either.  If you're falling through the ground, then maybe your Xbox is broken. "

Agreed, exhilarating rest bite.  His timing sounds abysmal, not the level.

@Sunjammer said:

" Of course I'm aware of Hang On. This game is wall to wall references. No amount of referencing pardons poor gameplay. In a game filled with sweetness, the biking bit stands in sharp relief.  Super Hang On was better. Holy christ. It's the section right after the first required jump. Landing the first jump puts you on another tilted bridge segment. If you don't jump after that segment, you'll clip through the next, flip 90 degrees to the right and fall to your death. If you DO jump that segment, the camera will make a momentary freakout before BAM, suddenly you're driving straight ahead someplace else. I can reproduce this shit every single time. Abysmal. Out of everyone I've discussed this with today, you're the first to have no issue with it. We must be playing different games. "

Your missing my point, both those Hang On games have repetitive design and basic physics, but they still have great gameplay as does this. 

This is how it's done, and was done my me. Do take notice of the fact  both players don't fall once ^^ 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.