Buttonmashing YES/NO ?

#1 Posted by TsuHai (109 posts) -

((( I say button - you say mashing... ))) 

Hi guys.  
I'd really like to hear your opinion on how buttonmashy the game really is. And i'd like only people to answer that have PLAYED the game quite a bit - not only the demo. 

I don't think the game is buttonmashy. I mean, there are plenty of combos and which you take is not that importat, but you need to get the timing of evading,junping and attacking pretty right to succeed (in normal at least) . 
The most important thing : i find the combat rewarding. I like hard games ( played through ninja gaiden on hardest difficulty ) and this seems just right. it's not as hard as ninja gaiden , but i don't have that much time to spend for games so this looks like it's perfect - challenging on normal on a first playthrough and im definitely going for hard after i'm done with normal - then i think i really gotta start thinking about different combos and enemie's attackpatterns. 

what do you think?

#2 Posted by DirrtyNinja (715 posts) -
 Is Bayonetta a button-masher?

Short answer; No.

Long answer;  Noo.
#3 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

Bayonetta is just tits
#4 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -

I haven't played it, so I'll say yes.

#5 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Certainly not, the games combat of the highest calibre. It's combat has a great deal of depth to it, it forces players to attack in a almost rhythmic fashion, and to block and evade so also. Watch a noob play and it seems like just another slasher, but watch a expert play and it can be wow worthy enough for you to drop your jaw.     

#6 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

Nooo.  Not at all, there are easier difficulties (one hand monde?) where I'm sure you'd be able to get through the game just by mashing buttons, but the game is a lot more akin to something like Ninja Gaiden.  If all you're doing is mashing buttons, you're going to get beat down pretty hard on the later stages.

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

Nooo.  Not at all, there are easier difficulties (one hand monde?) where I'm sure you'd be able to get through the game just by mashing buttons, but the game is a lot more akin to something like Ninja Gaiden.  If all you're doing is mashing buttons, you're going to get beat down pretty hard on the later stages.

#8 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

no way, you will die so fast if you button mash. This game is better than that.

#9 Edited by Tiwi (1401 posts) -

what could you comparing it against? GOW? SFIV? patapon?

Edit: i have not played the game.

#10 Posted by IzzyGraze (850 posts) -

I have no idea but....

#11 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

You'll get your arse whipped severe thinking you can play this game like a mindless button masher. The Bayonetta demo uses prologue levels that work to allow the player to grow accustomed to the controls and possibilities, (after they've done some work in training) - not to come up with the dumb conclusion it's a button masher. 

#12 Posted by Flurolamp (31 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" I haven't played it, so I'll say yes. "
Why oh why did you post? People like you are irritating. Don't post.
#13 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

No and it certainly goes out of its way early on to tell you that. However from what I have seen also it would be possible to go through playing like that but it would be hard and near on impossible in the latter stages. Well I certainly assume so, I admittedly haven't beaten it yet.

#14 Edited by GunstarRed (5172 posts) -

you can on easy/very easy... and there is a certain  amount you can get away with once you get the sword..but the grace and glory enemies will destroy you if you button mash them.
#15 Posted by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -
@tiwi said:

"what could you comparing it against? GOW? SFIV? patapon?  Edit: i have not played the game. "

God of War comes closest, Street Fighter IV... well, only because there's combat in it, Patapon...? 
I take it you were just joking with that one.    
#16 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

Yes, it is.

#17 Posted by pause422 (6181 posts) -

No its not. Don't post and state false information if you have no idea what you're talking about.

#18 Edited by Laz (16 posts) -

I'm inclined to kind of disagree with the masses here.  Do I have a memory of which combos I'm doing?  No, I'm mainly just mashing a combination of punch and kick in order to beat the hell out of what I'm fighting.  In that regard, yes, it is a button masher.

However, there is a cognitive effort that needs to be made in order to do things like evading and witch time, evading and continuing a combo, and using the cool 360' shooting thing (I forgot what it's called), not to mention using items.  So in that regard, no, it's not a button masher.

Perhaps as I play more, and pay attention to the various combos in the loading screens, I will start favoring certain combos over another and will eventually turn combat into less of a button mashing experience in the end, but as of now I'd have to say it's a 50/50 mix of button mashing and cognitive action.

EDIT: Just an edit, I am playing on Normal.  I've only gotten to the 3rd verse, so there's still a lot I have to play.

#19 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5256 posts) -

Not at all...you can try, but you'll die. On normal difficulty that is. Easy and very easy you can, but what's the fun in that?

#20 Posted by Phonics (327 posts) -

Im shit in games like this and beat it on normal in 8 hours...The only button I really 'smashed' was dodge. Against the faster enemies I can't see how its possible to dodge them without smashing the button.

#21 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@Flurolamp said:
" @nanikore said:
Why oh why did you post? People like you are irritating. Don't post. "
You fail. I was parodying the idiots who judge games before playing them.
#22 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

I thought we were talkin' bout Rich Gallup.

I'll leave.

#23 Posted by 45ysdfgsd g35t3t54 3t4 (48 posts) -
@krazy_kyle said:
" Bayonetta is just tits "
and ass.
#24 Posted by essaregee (573 posts) -
@IzzyGraze said:
" I have no idea but....

"
What ever happened to Rich Gallup? He was the coolest host of OTS. I miss him =(
#25 Edited by ZmillA (2271 posts) -

It's very easy to button mash. However you can (and should) play it deliberately. In these aspects it is a huge success.

The combat is unbelievable, the game is amazing

#26 Posted by spazmaster666 (1967 posts) -

It all depends on how you want to play the game. If you want to just barely make it through each stage with minimal health and numerous deaths, then yeah you can definitely get through the normal difficulty just by mashing (though dodging is essential even if you plan to mash). But if you want to actually do well at the game, mashing is a big no no. And besides, it's a lot more fun to play the game with finesse then trying to brute force your way through it (while dying a lot in the process).

#27 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

Not just the demo? Well guess I'm excluded from this, but from what I've heard Bayonetta requires skill, not just button mashing and I like that. Also it was nice to see a Button Mashing reference after all this time.

#28 Posted by DonChipotle (2746 posts) -

Button mashing will get you to about chapter 5.

#29 Posted by WillyLo (302 posts) -

It plays pretty similar to God of War from the couple hours I've put in, it definitely helps to learn more combos and will make it easier but mashing the buttons still works. The evade is the biggest thing to learn, without it you're screwed at some points.

#30 Posted by Flurolamp (31 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" @Flurolamp said:
" @nanikore said:
Why oh why did you post? People like you are irritating. Don't post. "
You fail. I was parodying the idiots who judge games before playing them. "
Sorry, my text sarcasm app wasn't running.
#31 Posted by nanikore (2740 posts) -
@Flurolamp: No problem. I hear there's a new version of that app now.
#32 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO YES NO

#33 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

BUTTON
#34 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

MASHING

I'm sorry, but any topic that has button and mashing in that specific order will always (and rightfully so) turn into a topic about Gamespots new gameshow.

#35 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

BUTTON

#36 Posted by Thrillhouse87 (232 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

"Nooo.  Not at all, there are easier difficulties (one hand monde?) where I'm sure you'd be able to get through the game just by mashing buttons, but the game is a lot more akin to something like Ninja Gaiden.  If all you're doing is mashing buttons, you're going to get beat down pretty hard on the later stages. "

WOW, The easy difficultiy is actually called "one hand mode"? That is... terrible!
#37 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -

It's button mashing with timing.

#38 Posted by Vision (796 posts) -

It is only a button masher if you make it so. 

When i play it's not mashy one bit since i have played the DMC series to death. :)

#39 Posted by KillerFly (396 posts) -

Bayonetta is more about timing than anything else.  If you don't get the timing right on those dodges, you're screwed.   You can get through the game on normal by just mashing buttons and dodging at the right times, but you won't do very well. And if you try button mashing at all on Hard, you will fail.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.