Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Chapter 14 - The Rocket Sequence

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By the8bitNacho

Yeah, I admit it.  I'm making this thread simpkly to vent my own frustration.  I just cleared the "Rocket Sequence" in Chapter XIV, which is probably the worst part of this entire game.  Was it really necessary?  Did Platinum Games really just toss in a ridiculously lengthy on-rails shooter stage with next to zero checkpoints that wasn't even entertaining and call it a day?  I didn't even find it that difficult, but the length and general out-of-place feel of the whole thing was a huge turn off.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Steve_C

Well there was one checkpoint i'm sure during that section since it's made up of two verses. I liked it myself, but it did drag on a bit like the motorbike part.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Space Harrier dude! I will admit it was a little lengthy and you can get through the whole level just mashing the trigger button, but that was also very effective in making me feel sick to my stomach.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @Steve_C said:
    " Well there was one checkpoint i'm sure during that section since it's made up of two verses. I liked it myself, but it did drag on a bit like the motorbike part. "
    I know.  I said "next to zero," not zero.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the8bitNacho

Never mind the rocket sequence.  Got to the final boss and that game can go and fuck itself.  The difficulty of that last encounter turned the game from "pretty awesome" to "clusterfuck" in a matter of minutes.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @Kombat: So you hate Bayonetta now because the game is challenging?
    Maclintok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Maclintok
    @JJOR64: I don't think we need to reduce Kombat's argument to that extreme.  I didn't care for this chapter either. It wasn't nearly as bad as Highway 666 but they again veered into "Matt Hazard" parody territory where they went through the trouble to do a game reference & homage but forgot to create something fun in the process. 

It also would not have killed them to put a checkpoint right before the Jeanne fight.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JJOR64
    @Maclintok: I guess that's true.  I thought the part was OK, but it dragged on way to long, same for the motorcycle part.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By jkz
    @Kombat said:
    " Never mind the rocket sequence.  Got to the final boss and that game can go and fuck itself.  The difficulty of that last encounter turned the game from "pretty awesome" to "clusterfuck" in a matter of minutes. "
    What difficulty are you playing on, out of curiosity?
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @Kombat: So you hate Bayonetta now because the game is challenging? "
    When it comes to the final boss, there's a difference between challenging and "fucked."  Challenge is good, but when it's so challenging that it ceases to be entertaining, it's lost its purpose as a video game. 

That said, no, I don't hate Bayonetta.  Honestly, the game isn't even challenging.  It just has several ridiculous difficulty spikes that, contrasted against the rest of the game, are quite ridiculous.  The vehicle segments -- both motorcycle and rocket -- are attempts to throw some variety into the game, but they just don't work and ultimately turn out bland. 

None of this really has a huge effect on my opinion of the game.  I'm writing my review tomorrow and more than likely handing in 4 stars.  I was thinking of going with 3, but the more I think about it, my issues with the game just don't seem to warrant subtracting an additional star. 
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @jukezypoo said:
    " @Kombat said:
    " Never mind the rocket sequence.  Got to the final boss and that game can go and fuck itself.  The difficulty of that last encounter turned the game from "pretty awesome" to "clusterfuck" in a matter of minutes. "
    What difficulty are you playing on, out of curiosity? "
    Normal.  I don't believe anything other than that's unlocked prior to completing the game for the first time.  Except easy.
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jkz
    @Kombat said:
    " @jukezypoo said:
    " @Kombat said:
    What difficulty are you playing on, out of curiosity? "
    Normal.  I don't believe anything other than that's unlocked prior to completing the game for the first time.  Except easy. "
    Yeah assumed so I was just making sure, since I've heard playing on hard is a huge difficulty spike. 

As for this boss, I've found that the best bet is simply to keep dodging until she lands from her jump attacks (she'll land with her legs spread out and take a second or two to recover). During that, I went with the 5 or so quick-attacks with the sword into the flurry, and then the heavy attack with the slamming boot, so long as she hasn't dodged backwards by then, which is a sign that she's moving in for a quick flurry of attacks. 

Hope that makes sense; I lost a full health bar but managed to beat it in one try by doing that (thanks to a red-hot-shot).
    Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

I'll agree about the random difficulty spikes, they really do harm the overall flow of the game.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By c1337us

It was way better then the motorbike chapter.

TsuHai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TsuHai

I didn't play space harrier and i hated the rocket scene. really the worst thing in th whole game for me.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy

I didn't play Space Harrier either yet I frekaing loved that scene. The music! The awesome arcadey controls! If you're having trouble just do some Witch Time and you can blast them for a while. 

As for fighting Jeanne and the final chapters on Normal... go buy the Mahala Kalaa (W/E) accessory. It will make your fights with Jeanne so easy because it's one on one. It takes a lot of skill to use that accessory with multiple enemies, though.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By Icemael
    @Kombat said:
    What? The final boss is really easy...
    WonderboyCoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By WonderboyCoz

hmm, I have never seen any of these difficulty spikes as you describe them, I get caught on a few fights every now and then, but its not frustrating, it just makes me want to pull off some fancy ass techniques to take the suckers down, and I enjoyed the otor bike and rocket sequences, not because they are homages to other games, but because they accent how ridiculous this game is...

...maybe I am just better at this game than you guys, haha

PK_Koopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PK_Koopa
    @Icemael said:
    " @Kombat said:
    What? The final boss is really easy... "
    Beat me to it.  I mean I guess its oppinion but the last boss was one of the more easier bosses in the game and I even got a gold (platinum on the over all mission) on my first try.
    Oh and I didn't find the motor cycle part too long, probably cause I really enjoyed it. XIV was definatly long though but I still loved it despite never playing space harrier
    Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sabata

Welcome to MY fantasy zone! 

Also yeah, the last boss was pretty easy, just long as fuck.  That dumb insta-kill black hole move can get bent, though.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By MildMolasses

The only problem I had with the last boss was during the lightning phase, when trying to jump from rock to rock. The prompt to jump would flicker on the screen causing me to get stuck on the rock when it was destroyed, then falling to my death. Other than that it was pretty simple and straight forward. Just remember that the dog form runs really fast
    Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ineedaname

It got on my nerves aswell, I done it first time but it was far too long.
    There were also some scenes later, particularly one where you have to sit an use a cannon that really grated on me.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By killroycantkill

I found this to be the easiest level in the game actually (easier than Route 666). Just hit both the fire buttons real fast and you should be good. The dodge button still nulls everything in the level. Also don't forget you have rockets. Takes up one blip on the magic meter.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By VWGTI

I think the game could have done without the random difficulty spikes. I'm with the OP on this 100%. Great game overall though.
    SilenceUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SilenceUK
    @Kombat said:
    "Never mind the rocket sequence.  Got to the final boss and that game can go and fuck itself.  The difficulty of that last encounter turned the game from "pretty awesome" to "clusterfuck" in a matter of minutes. "

what dificulty are you playing on? my first time through playing on normal was just about right in terms of getting my ass handed to me.....now 3/4 through on hard now i am getting clusterfucked on a regular basis  
    so guessing this is ur first time through u can at most be on normal so guna just say ur not good at the game ergo its not ur game so just move on my friend let the big boys play :P lol of which one i am not :P
    Silver_Glint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Silver_Glint

The spinning dodge move made me dizzy. And the explosions hurt my eyes.

Avatar image for guiniebeanturio
    Guiniebeanturio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Guiniebeanturio

Is it possible to avoid the attack from the last boss where you get turned into cereza and all you can do is run around? 
    Am I being really stupid? 

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Shadow

That part was fucking fantastic.  You are a terrible person
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The last boss was disappointingly easy; especially compared to some of the freakishly harder previous ones.  It had a very cool theme song, though.

Oh, and I liked the concept of Bayonetta's "fantasy zone", but just like "Route 666", it was executed poorly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.