Completing Bayonetta felt like I'd done something important

Posted by MisterBronze (48 posts) -

Finally got round to playing and finishing Bayonetta today. Holy hell that game is batshit crazy and in the most damned awesome way possible. I loved the shameless classic Sega game references and sudden genre changes. 

I had a lot of other games on my playlist, but I think Vanquish just got bumped way up. I played Infinite Space too recently - PlatinumGames might just be in danger of becoming my favourite studio.

#1 Posted by MisterBronze (48 posts) -

Finally got round to playing and finishing Bayonetta today. Holy hell that game is batshit crazy and in the most damned awesome way possible. I loved the shameless classic Sega game references and sudden genre changes. 

I had a lot of other games on my playlist, but I think Vanquish just got bumped way up. I played Infinite Space too recently - PlatinumGames might just be in danger of becoming my favourite studio.

#2 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Did you play it on the PS3? If so how does that version of Bayonetta perform and play?

#3 Posted by FLStyle (4767 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" Did you play it on the PS3? If so how does that version of Bayonetta perform and play? "
A friend and I completed Bayonetta PS3 in December, I noticed 10 seconds of lag in the entire game. I haven't seen the 360 version so I can't give a direct comparison but as far as I'm concerned it's perfectly playable.
#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@FLStyle said:
" @Hamz said:
" Did you play it on the PS3? If so how does that version of Bayonetta perform and play? "
A friend and I completed Bayonetta PS3 in December, I noticed 10 seconds of lag in the entire game. I haven't seen the 360 version so I can't give a direct comparison but as far as I'm concerned it's perfectly playable. "
That's good to hear. As long as I can play it without any major performance issues impacting my enjoyment or ability to progress I'm happy :)
#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12589 posts) -

Even though I wanted to finish Bayonetta, I just got my ass kicked far too much in the first stages that I had to give up.

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -
@Hamz said:
I always see people moan of the PS3 version being awful, but they generally seem to then go on to say that they only played the xbox version. But I played it on PS3 and I noticed absolutely zero performance issues, and I racked up a lot of time on that game.
#7 Posted by Icemael (6339 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
" @Hamz said:
I always see people moan of the PS3 version being awful, but they generally seem to then go on to say that they only played the xbox version. But I played it on PS3 and I noticed absolutely zero performance issues, and I racked up a lot of time on that game. "
I find that it's the other way around: people who say the PS3 version is fine are people who haven't played the 360 version. Everyone I know of that's played both (including myself) thinks the PS3 version is garbage.
#8 Edited by xyzygy (10029 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:

" @Hamz said:

I always see people moan of the PS3 version being awful, but they generally seem to then go on to say that they only played the xbox version. But I played it on PS3 and I noticed absolutely zero performance issues, and I racked up a lot of time on that game. "
If you play the 360 version and the PS3 version you can tell there is a massive difference. Framerate is generally poorer (while still playable), textures are god afwul, ridiculously stupid loading times, and the game has this really muddy look, almost like you're wearing glasses that have smudges all over it. The 360 version is so crisp, fast and clean looking. 

@MisterBronze: I loved Bayonetta too and I've been thinking about getting Vanquish for the past little while. Have you played the demo? It's short but awesome.
#9 Posted by Grelik (150 posts) -

The problems with the ps3 version were apparently only on the slim model because of something related to the way the slim was reading the blu ray. I heard it was patched and fixed and should play just fine on the ps3.

Regardless I still bought it for the 360.

#10 Posted by JCGamer (666 posts) -

Interesting, I'm playing though Vanquish right now and will (probably) be playing Bayonetta next (got it from Amazon for 10 bones).

#11 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I didn't feel an overwhelming sense of satisfaction completing Bayonetta but that's not what Bayonetta was about, what I did feel was that each little battle and action sequence in the game was satisfying and just pure, unadulterated fun.

#12 Posted by Catarrhal (839 posts) -
#13 Posted by bolognarock (171 posts) -

I'm sorry but Bayonetta on the PS3 is just a bad port. I own it and have played it recently too. The PS3 version is still playable, but if you have a choice, play the 360 version since it's superior.

#14 Posted by MisterBronze (48 posts) -

I actually bought the game on PS3 first and downloaded the patch that "fixes" the problems, then I saw it running on a friend's 360. I'm sorry to say it really is very clear which version is superior, it's night and day. 

I generally prefer playing on my PS3, but there really was no choice here - it was a very bad PS3 port. 

xyzygy I have played the demo of Vanquish and thought it was decent. I also thought the Bayonetta demo was only "decent" but the full game blew me away :)

#15 Posted by Otogi (263 posts) -

Congratulations, Mr. Bronze, congratulations indeed.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

happy for you ^^

#17 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@Hamz said:
I think it's been made out to be a lot worse than it actually is. Graphically it's nice and I haven't run into any slow-down. I will say this, though: Opening a menu, or collecting a new item can cause a pretty unacceptable load. It's only ever really 5 - 10 seconds, but during actual play it isn't on. 

Otherwise, everything is A-OK.
#18 Posted by MisterBronze (48 posts) -
@GetEveryone: The patch they released on PS3 includes the option to install the game. Doing so cuts down those loads times almost entirely. The 360 version is actually instant - no load at all on those screens.
#19 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@MisterBronze: Ah, cheers broski. I actually stopped playing it, but knowing the patched it makes me want to try and finish it.
#20 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" Even though I wanted to finish Bayonetta, I just got my ass kicked far too much in the first stages that I had to give up. "
I gave up at Chapter 12, I believe. I was playing on normal, and just got wrecked by the difficulty.

It is, by far and away, the retail game that I had the least gamerscore in on my Xbox before selling the console. In fact, it was the only game below a 750 on my gamertag.
#21 Posted by MisterBronze (48 posts) -
@Aus_azn: That's a shame. There are "Easy" and "Very Easy" difficulties available if you ever wanted to revisit it to see the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.