Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

Is anyone else really put off by the sex thing?

• 120 results
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By guiseppe

Not at all, in fact that's part of what I like about it, gloriously over the top :D. I think you all need to take a chillpill.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Nasos100

you know i liked Devil May Cry mostly due to the  coolness it tried to have (and succeeded mostly).  But Bayonetta seems to put a lot of emphasis on the ' the game is fuckin crazy DUDE' which i am not that much into. Yeah sure i love god of war, which is crazy in its own way and all, but it doesnt DEPEND that much on it.

schnatterfleck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By schnatterfleck

If I get this right then violence is o.k but sex isn't. Now I understand why our world is in such a fucked up condition!

RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By RaoulDo0k
    @Turambar said:
    " @I_smell: It's not exactly different from Kratos running around killing things in overly violent fashion, ripping someone's head off and using it as a search light.  Both are crazy, just different kinds of crazy. "
    Not to mention God of War has full on digital boobs as well as a implied sex quick-time-event. Nobody seems to say boo about that. 
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By brukaoru

I honestly couldn't care less about it. I know the game's going to be really fun to play and that's all that matters to me. Besides, it's come to a point in videogames and in other media when women are objectified it doesn't surprise or shock me anymore. Men are objectified too, maybe not to the same extent, yet they are and no one seems to be concerned about them. Pointing at one game and criticizing it for it's over-sexual tones while not criticizing other media is hypocritical. As the old saying goes, sex sells.   

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Daryl

The main character is not even sexy. 

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @RaoulDo0k said:
    " @Turambar said:
    " @I_smell: It's not exactly different from Kratos running around killing things in overly violent fashion, ripping someone's head off and using it as a search light.  Both are crazy, just different kinds of crazy. "
    Not to mention God of War has full on digital boobs as well as a implied sex quick-time-event. Nobody seems to say boo about that.  "
    Because it's not trendy to hate on God of War yet it is trendy to be faux upset at this game.  Oh the bullshit humanity!
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

If you're still afraid of girls just don't play it. Problem solved.

sam33r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By sam33r

I didn't really think of it as sexual. For me, the whole game looks like a piece of art, and nudity was part of it like it sometimes is in art.

That said, I probably wouldn't have liked it as much if there was a nude dude :D

RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RaoulDo0k
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @RaoulDo0k said:
    " @Turambar said:
    Not to mention God of War has full on digital boobs as well as a implied sex quick-time-event. Nobody seems to say boo about that.  "
    Because it's not trendy to hate on God of War yet it is trendy to be faux upset at this game.  Oh the bullshit humanity! "
    Just like it was trendy to hate on RE:5 becuase you were shooting Africans, or hate on MW2 becuase Infinity Ward deigned to put Donnald Rumsfeld and Dick Chenney quotes in the game or get butthurt becuase Orson Scott Card had some tangential association with Shadow Complex? 

Honestly political correctness, especially on the internet, is a race to the bottom. Lets all look for the next thing that we can endlessly talk about to retain our "Progressive" card and then as soon as the game comes out and we all love it completely drop the topic.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@RaoulDo0k

I just find the whole discussion to be hilarious though.  Seriously, it's like some men are so confused by post chauvinism that they actually are self protesting the game's sexual nature.  What's next, do some guys end up growing ovaries too?

The whole thing is completely lollable.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#62  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

For some odd reason I now want to play this just to see what your talking about. Thank you, I think your topic has failed.

JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By JackLumber
    @PenguinDust said:

" Not at all.  I'll never understand why people get so uptight by a little sexuality in games but freely support the evisceration, decapitation and disembowelment of others with fervor.   "

It's not the fact that it has "a little sexuality", its that it has a whole lot of misogyny. And it glamorizes it. I'll be the last person to say that there's anything wrong with having sex in video games, if anything we need more of it, but it's all about how its handled. Depicting sexuality in a way that reduces women to pure sexual objects is just wrong, and trying to make it look cool like the game does just validates the misogynistic male fantasy on display. It's the male gaze at its worst (
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_gaze#The_Male_Gaze_and_Feminist_theory) . Its The Jack Thompsons of the world say a lot of dumb shit about video games, but they'd be totally justified to attack this game. I'm not saying this game is going to make you go rape someone, but its reflective of and in support of a culture and a mindset which that sort of behavior is born out of.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#64  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I'm more put off by the fact it plays like DMC.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @JackLumber said:

" @PenguinDust said:

" Not at all.  I'll never understand why people get so uptight by a little sexuality in games but freely support the evisceration, decapitation and disembowelment of others with fervor.   "

It's not the fact that it has "a little sexuality", its that it has a whole lot of misogyny. And it glamorizes it. I'll be the last person to say that there's anything wrong with having sex in video games, if anything we need more of it, but it's all about how its handled. Depicting sexuality in a way that reduces women to pure sexual objects is just wrong, and trying to make it look cool like the game does just validates the misogynistic male fantasy on display. It's the male gaze at its worst ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_gaze#The_Male_Gaze_and_Feminist_theory) . Its The Jack Thompsons of the world say a lot of dumb shit about video games, but they'd be totally justified to attack this game. I'm not saying this game is going to make you go rape someone, but its reflective of and in support of a culture and a mindset which that sort of behavior is born out of. "
    Whoah.  Did you just quote the male gaze?  For a game...really? 

No way jose is this related to an entirely fictional character who exists in a whacked out game where she is the most powerful witch out hunting for angels to kill.  Your point of view is incredibly inept if you think that the moral lolcats of this world would even bother to attack this game.  They wouldn't and you know why?  Because this game is upfront and honest with its overtly sexual and graphic titillation of images of power yet it has a strong female lead.  It's a crazy game, yes and it's sexual yes and it's stupid yes but misogynist ABSOLUTELY NOT.  For something to be misogyny it has to show a female in such a way as to depict her to be hated or to have her character as having inflated aspects of her sexuality (titillating or otherwise) to be hateful.  The worst thing this lead character says is a reference to the SNL Cowbell sketch, as in "I've got a fever and the only cure is more dead angels".  That's ridiculous I grant you, but in no way does it connect with her feminine qualities nor does it depict her or any other women associated with her as stupid, evil or even mildly irritating (well maybe the latter if you concentrate too deeply on the dialogue and are bothered by ridiculous statements).  Her enemies are sometimes women and in fact her man raison d;etre is indeed a woman, but once again, none of the female leads are portrayed with any form of derogation.  The lead character is sexualised to the extreme but it's no worse than the "battle nuns" or indeed any of the bondage clad female forms in one of three factions in Brutal Legend.  

The kind of idiots who might attack this are the same people who inspired the album cover and song by one of my favourite all time comments on the ridiculousness of it all who reminded us to laugh all the way to "11". Spinal Tap with their album and self titled hit song "Smell the Glove" 
     Once we've lost the ability to laugh at ourselves or in this case, the 3D images of hyper reality and overt sexuality and violence, which reflect ourselves and our own limitations through the artists lense, then we may as well all give up and go home,  

I mean you actually refered to Jack Thompson.  His campaigning was idiotic and decried his own personal issues which led to him being disbarred.  That's almost a funnier comment on this so called (non) issue than your reference to the male gaze.

Now, if you wouldn't mind I have to go put a tinfoil covered cucumber down my pants before I go on tour.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By penguindust
    @JackLumber:  Yes, I don't accept that argument though in this case since these allegations are only applied to games.  Beauty contests, cheerleaders, Victoria Secret TV shows, etc...all have cultural acceptance and they in no way elevate anything.  If you want to travel down that very limiting view that any glorification of sexuality, male or female is bad then that's fine for you, but I don't see this representation as negative.   However, if you were to argue that there is too much of this particular portrayal in games and not enough realism to counter-balance the fantasy imagery then I would agree.  But, still I don't know how times I've heard the outrage from even those depictions.  As game developers travel farther into controversial areas, the more resistance they encounter.   It's easier to dismiss the over-the-top jiggles of DOA and the sculpted shirtless form of Kratos than it is a pseudo-lesbian encounter in Mass Effect which is why those depictions draw more ire.  I wonder how many people are confused by what they feel when seeing Bayonetta and are therefore angered by the rendering.  Personally, I don't think anything should be censored and if game makers want to continue creating games with pretty women and beefy men then that's fine with me.
    JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By JackLumber
    @SeriouslyNow said:

" @JackLumber said:

" @PenguinDust said:

It's not the fact that it has "a little sexuality", its that it has a whole lot of misogyny. And it glamorizes it. I'll be the last person to say that there's anything wrong with having sex in video games, if anything we need more of it, but it's all about how its handled. Depicting sexuality in a way that reduces women to pure sexual objects is just wrong, and trying to make it look cool like the game does just validates the misogynistic male fantasy on display. It's the male gaze at its worst ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_gaze#The_Male_Gaze_and_Feminist_theory) . Its The Jack Thompsons of the world say a lot of dumb shit about video games, but they'd be totally justified to attack this game. I'm not saying this game is going to make you go rape someone, but its reflective of and in support of a culture and a mindset which that sort of behavior is born out of. "

No way jose is this related to an entirely fictional character who exists in a whacked out game where she is the most powerful witch out hunting for angels to kill.  Your point of view is incredibly inept if you think that the moral lolcats of this world would even bother to attack this game.  They wouldn't and you know why?  Because this game is upfront and honest with its overtly sexual and graphic titillation of images of power yet it has a strong female lead.  It's a crazy game, yes and it's sexual yes and it's stupid yes but misogynist ABSOLUTELY NOT.  For something to be misogyny it has to show a female in such a way as to depict her to be hated or to have her character as having inflated aspects of her sexuality (titillating or otherwise) to be hateful.  The worst thing this lead character says is a reference to the SNL Cowbell sketch, as in "I've got a fever and the only cure is more dead angels".  That's ridiculous I grant you, but in no way does it connect with her feminine qualities nor does it depict her or any other women associated with her as stupid, evil or even mildly irritating (well maybe the latter if you concentrate too deeply on the dialogue and are bothered by ridiculous statements).  Her enemies are sometimes women and in fact her man raison d;etre is indeed a woman, but once again, none of the female leads are portrayed with any form of derogation.  The lead character is sexualised to the extreme but it's no worse than the "battle nuns" or indeed any of the bondage clad female forms in one of three factions in Brutal Legend.  

The kind of idiots who might attack this are the same people who inspired the album cover and song by one of my favourite all time comments on the ridiculousness of it all who reminded us to laugh all the way to "11". Spinal Tap with their album and self titled hit song "Smell the Glove" 
      Once we've lost the ability to laugh at ourselves or in this case, the 3D images of hyper reality and overt sexuality and violence, which reflect ourselves and our own limitations through the artists lense, then we may as well all give up and go home,    I mean you actually refered to Jack Thompson.  His campaigning was idiotic and decried his own personal issues which led to him being disbarred.  That's almost a funnier comment on this so called (non) issue than your reference to the male gaze.  Now, if you wouldn't mind I have to go put a tinfoil covered cucumber down my pants before I go on tour. "
    Well, yeah. I think you can apply the male gaze to pretty much any visual art. Video games use similar techniques for visual storytelling to film, and as far as cutscenes are concerned, there's really no difference at all in how you analyze it.  Camera placement and movement, editing, mise en scene, etc, all those techniques apply just as much to video games as to film, at least in the cases where those choices have been made by the developer.

As for saying it's mysogynistic, I wasn't using the strict dictionary definition of the word. I was just going with the common use of the word (at least how I usually hear it thrown around). What I meant was that its displaying her as a sexual object. It has nothing to do with making her hateful. In fact, I think it's a lot worse to show a woman as an object of lust than an object of hatred. Ask anyone who's been raped or had someone very close to them be raped and they'll probably tell you the same thing. Validating a view of women as creatures who exist to serve male fantasies is just wrong. And its worth mentioning that that sort of thing usually happens in very subtle ways. Its usually entirely visual. The actual story of the game doesn't have anything to do with it. I think the context that it's put in can negate the problem (Brutal Legend does that for the most part. It's a comedic parody of old school heavy metal culture), but it can exist entirely independently of context.

Perhaps what this argument comes down to is whether or not you view the game's depiction of women as a tounge in cheek, jokey sort of thing, done on purpose for the sake of parody or what have you, or if you view it as a shameless attempt to appeal to a young male audience. Personally, it seems to me to be more of the latter. And even if that wasn't the intention, that seems to be the reaction. 

P.S. I wasn't really trying to refer to Jack Thompson, I was just using his name a shorthand for all the politicians and media figures who talk about the evils of video games and their detrimental effect on society and so on and so forth.
    JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By JackLumber
    @PenguinDust said:
    " @JackLumber:  Yes, I don't accept that argument though in this case since these allegations are only applied to games.  Beauty contests, cheerleaders, Victoria Secret TV shows, etc...all have cultural acceptance and they in no way elevate anything.  If you want to travel down that very limiting view that any glorification of sexuality, male or female is bad then that's fine for you, but I don't see this representation as negative.   However, if you were to argue that there is too much of this particular portrayal in games and not enough realism to counter-balance the fantasy imagery then I would agree.  But, still I don't know how times I've heard the outrage from even those depictions.  As game developers travel farther into controversial areas, the more resistance they encounter.   It's easier to dismiss the over-the-top jiggles of DOA and the sculpted shirtless form of Kratos than it is a pseudo-lesbian encounter in Mass Effect which is why those depictions draw more ire.  I wonder how many people are confused by what they feel when seeing Bayonetta and are therefore angered by the rendering.  Personally, I don't think anything should be censored and if game makers want to continue creating games with pretty women and beefy men then that's fine with me. "
    I would never argue that glorification of sexuality is inherently bad, but glorifying certain aspects of it are bad. The problem comes when you make it a one way street, just women pleasing men, purely physically, and for no other reason than because that's what men desire (i'm saying thats the subtext, not the context). There's plenty of ways to counterbalance that. Even doing the same thing to men, showing it from a female point of view, would be better. 

And I'm not trying to make any broad statements about video games in general here, nor do I think the game should be censored. I'm just expressing my disapproval.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By RsistncE

I also think it's quite pathetic, is pandering and detracts from the overall quality of the game.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By JokerClown88

Dude sex is like a natural part of life and stuff.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#71  Edited By I_smell

Calm down guys, all I'm sayin is that I don't wanna have to sit through a Carry On film to play this game.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ninjakiller

Totally dude, girls are icky.  But there is this one girl I like...so I ran up to her and punched her in the shoulder, and instead of saying "i like you too" she bursts into tears and tells her friends what an asshole I am.  Go figure.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @JackLumber said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

" @JackLumber said:

" @PenguinDust said:

Once we've lost the ability to laugh at ourselves or in this case, the 3D images of hyper reality and overt sexuality and violence, which reflect ourselves and our own limitations through the artists lense, then we may as well all give up and go home,    I mean you actually refered to Jack Thompson.  His campaigning was idiotic and decried his own personal issues which led to him being disbarred.  That's almost a funnier comment on this so called (non) issue than your reference to the male gaze.  Now, if you wouldn't mind I have to go put a tinfoil covered cucumber down my pants before I go on tour. "
    Well, yeah. I think you can apply the male gaze to pretty much any visual art. Video games use similar techniques for visual storytelling to film, and as far as cutscenes are concerned, there's really no difference at all in how you analyze it.  Camera placement and movement, editing, mise en scene, etc, all those techniques apply just as much to video games as to film, at least in the cases where those choices have been made by the developer.  As for saying it's mysogynistic, I wasn't using the strict dictionary definition of the word. I was just going with the common use of the word (at least how I usually hear it thrown around). What I meant was that its displaying her as a sexual object. It has nothing to do with making her hateful. In fact, I think it's a lot worse to show a woman as an object of lust than an object of hatred. Ask anyone who's been raped or had someone very close to them be raped and they'll probably tell you the same thing. Validating a view of women as creatures who exist to serve male fantasies is just wrong. And its worth mentioning that that sort of thing usually happens in very subtle ways. Its usually entirely visual. The actual story of the game doesn't have anything to do with it. I think the context that it's put in can negate the problem (Brutal Legend does that for the most part. It's a comedic parody of old school heavy metal culture), but it can exist entirely independently of context.  Perhaps what this argument comes down to is whether or not you view the game's depiction of women as a tounge in cheek, jokey sort of thing, done on purpose for the sake of parody or what have you, or if you view it as a shameless attempt to appeal to a young male audience. Personally, it seems to me to be more of the latter. And even if that wasn't the intention, that seems to be the reaction.   P.S. I wasn't really trying to refer to Jack Thompson, I was just using his name a shorthand for all the politicians and media figures who talk about the evils of video games and their detrimental effect on society and so on and so forth. "
    When you base your argument around the game being misogynistic and that it falls prey to male gazing you have to be willing to be criticised.  You can't use a term like misogyny in any other sense than what it was designed for.  This isn't poetry or dramatic prose you're writing it's argumentative discussion.  And if you really want to have one of then speak plainly.  I am.

Bayonetta's not a sexual object.  Now Vagina faced RAKK HIVE in Borderlands might be a sexual object, because we do not know RAKK HIVE's sexuality nor its desires (other then to look vagina faced and to kill you) but we can assume the developers chose RAKK HIVE's look because it was offensive and alien.  Does that mean that they are the real (DUN DUN DUUUUNNNN) misogynists?  They're portraying something that's evil and must be killed with a vagina for a face!  Or maybe their just being post modernist feminists, kind of like Fellini, because that vagina faced monstrosity can KILL YOU? OMG I'm all confused now!  Quick call the moral police before this gets too complicated, they'll know what to do.....oooohhh I can't think!  Quick get me a Rabbi, a Priest, a Wiccan Goddess, a Buddhist Monk and an Anglican Minister oh yeah and someone from those nice Tom Cruisians.....tell them to meet me at the bar....I have a joke to write.

The whole argument is stupid.  If anyone takes the quite obvious self satire in Bayonetta from the man who produced Devil May Cry a series of games that took it self WAY too seriously ("I should have been the one to fill her dark with LIGHYIGHHHHT!"), then they're missing the point of this game.  Bayonetta is a ride into crazed DMC style oblivion on the back of two beasts,satire and ridiculousness who are both dressed in hair suits (remember, as Jack said, your hair is your head suit) which barely covers their ample bosoms and shapely arses.  In every action game since we've had computers, females have had HUGE curves and tiny outfits where it counted (if-you-know-wharramean-ah-thankyou) and this game's creator has been responsible for some of that.  Now he satirising that aspect of his own work and that of his peers and that's all there is to it.  

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By killroycantkill

It dosen't bother me at all, whenever I hear people complaining about this part of the game it just comes off as pretentious to me. Kind of like "Well I, as a high class gamer prefer my characters serious and my women to also be serious". In the end it comes down to the gameplay and if the demo is anything to judge by, this game is going to be fun.

JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By JackLumber
    @SeriouslyNow: 

Words aren't designed for anything. They mean whatever the vast majority of people accept them to mean.

Bringing up Borderlands is just dumb. A RAKK HIVE isn't and cant be a sexual object because it's not a human (or something closely resembling it. Avatar might be a good example of that, not that I think it's too gratuitous there). I was under the impression that you knew what concepts like "sexual object' and "male gaze" and etc meant. Either figure out what they mean or stop making pointless diversions.

As for what I said about rape, you're just nitpicking my choice of words. Trust me, I know rape isn't really a sexual crime. i've spent too much time working with rape victims to not know that. I'm not sure where you got that I was making that connection. I was just referring to the idea of a sexual object again and trying to not be too repetitive in my choice of words. Perhaps I sacrificed clarity there, and that's my mistake. 

Also, don't start attacking me. Attack my argument. And try reading what I said. Here I'll quote it again:

@JackLumber said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

" @JackLumber said:

Perhaps what this argument comes down to is whether or not you view the game's depiction of women as a tounge in cheek, jokey sort of thing, done on purpose for the sake of parody or what have you, or if you view it as a shameless attempt to appeal to a young male audience. Personally, it seems to me to be more of the latter.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " For some odd reason I now want to play this just to see what your talking about. "
    Agreed. But don't agree on the topic failed part.
    bertmasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By bertmasta

i dont think its a reason not to pick it up

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Gregomasta

Yeah, I am.  I'm also off put how by the fact that you're a sex witch.  This line alone describes the game and one of the many reasons I have no interest in it , "Mummy is a witch, and witches protect people and are very strong."

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#79  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I find that her weird sexiness is just yet another part of Bayonetta that makes it totally and absolutley crazy. Yes, it's a little off-putting but at least it doesn't seem as creepy and fetishized as say... Dead or Alive. In other words: If we are going to talk about misogyny in video games there is still farther down to go. Everything about Bayonetta seems to be a little tounge-in-cheek. The same cannot be said for all games that objectify women in a similar or worse manner.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Scooper
    @rjayb89 said:
    " According to Arthur Gies, this game can and has been masturbated to. "
    Dude I masterbated to day time television once when I was without the internet for a couple weeks so this game isn't a stretch. Bayonetta ain't my sorta bag, though.
    Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#81  Edited By Hector
    @Toxin066 said:
    " I'm not put off by it, but I'm not turned on by it. "
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#82  Edited By Trilogy

People need to come off their high horses. I understand you're trying to be mature about it, but it isn't a big deal. 

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#83  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @Trilogy said:
    " People need to come off their high horses. I understand you're trying to be mature about it, but it isn't a big deal.  "
    This.
    Teirdome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#84  Edited By Teirdome

As a married man, the overt sexuality makes this a title that I cannot play, similar to how I would never play an extremely violent title in front of my wife.  However, I could never even own Bayonetta, but I could buy AC2 and play it when she's not around.  Maybe it's just American conditioning that sexually charged material is somehow more "ebil" than violent, but I feel it has more to do with the reaction that erotic material triggers in men.  It is far easier for me to fantasize about sexual acts than violent ones, and that's enough to keep me away.

Call me prude or whatever you want, the over-the-top sexuality has "turned me off".

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Jadeskye
    @rjayb89:  Considering the speed of the gameplay thats damn impressive!
    RaoulDo0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By RaoulDo0k
    @Trilogy said:
    " People need to come off their high horses. I understand you're trying to be mature about it, but it isn't a big deal.  "
    Its a good thing that they got the ivory upgrade for their high horses so it can double as a tower to look down upon from.
    MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MiamiRedHawks
    @Snail said:
    " I understand where you're coming from. It kinda pushes me away from the game, but it isn't my style of game anyway. "
    this.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Rowr
    @CharleyTony said:
    " First off, it is from SEGA, not Capcom...  Second, it is okay for a woman to be sexy. What is wrong is a woman being used as a sexual object. If you have a problem with the Bayonetta character, what's next ? Women (and homosexual males) will complain about a totally ripped and shirtless male hero ? We actually have that in every other game... Just to be clear, they heroine in Bayonetta isn't forced to be naked. She decides to be ... "
    ...by the male development team that created her O____O

This isnt a real person.
    ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#89  Edited By ErgoProxy77
    @I_smell: It's crazy, that's kinda the point of it.  I think people take this stuff to seriously.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#90  Edited By CharleyTony
    @Rowr said:
    " @CharleyTony said:
    " First off, it is from SEGA, not Capcom...  Second, it is okay for a woman to be sexy. What is wrong is a woman being used as a sexual object. If you have a problem with the Bayonetta character, what's next ? Women (and homosexual males) will complain about a totally ripped and shirtless male hero ? We actually have that in every other game... Just to be clear, they heroine in Bayonetta isn't forced to be naked. She decides to be ... "
    ...by the male development team that created her O____O  This isnt a real person. "

inside the games fiction, she is not a sex slave, that is what I meant. 
    If a male dev team cannot make a sexy female character,  they could not even make any women... 

Do you think Lara Croft's character is sexist ? She is stereotyped but the fact that she is the master of her own destiny pushes me to believe that she is more on the side of female empowerment. Of course I prefer Jade from Beyond Good and Evil to Lara Croft to crusade for feminism but that is not the point. 

By the way could a mostly female dev team be allowed to make a strong, beautiful sexy man ? or would all female gamers complain ???
    JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By JoshLarson

To me Bayonetta is just a female version of the game series Cho Aniki, except aimed at straight guys. Sure its ridiculous and won't appeal to everyone but at least Bayonetta is upfront about the overexaggerated sexuality so you know going in if it is for you or not.
    stratzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By stratzilla

The boner lets me use both analog sticks and face buttons at once. I see no problem.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
    The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By The_Philosopher
    @I_smell: 
    I actually have decided not to play that possibly because I have no interest in it but also because I fear what my friends and family would think of me. I mean she is naked the whole time, she's just covered in hair which is gross.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#94  Edited By FireBurger

Yeah, it's creepy and pathetic. Better question would be: "Does anybody actually like it?"

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Zereta

I think that's just it for me. I played the demo. Gameplay seemed fine but something seemed to poke me where it was uncomfortable and it might just be this.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @JackLumber said:
    " @SeriouslyNow: 

Words aren't designed for anything. They mean whatever the vast majority of people accept them to mean.

Bringing up Borderlands is just dumb. A RAKK HIVE isn't and cant be a sexual object because it's not a human (or something closely resembling it. Avatar might be a good example of that, not that I think it's too gratuitous there). I was under the impression that you knew what concepts like "sexual object' and "male gaze" and etc meant. Either figure out what they mean or stop making pointless diversions.

As for what I said about rape, you're just nitpicking my choice of words. Trust me, I know rape isn't really a sexual crime. i've spent too much time working with rape victims to not know that. I'm not sure where you got that I was making that connection. I was just referring to the idea of a sexual object again and trying to not be too repetitive in my choice of words. Perhaps I sacrificed clarity there, and that's my mistake. 

Also, don't start attacking me. Attack my argument. And try reading what I said. Here I'll quote it again:

@JackLumber said:
    " @SeriouslyNow said:

" @JackLumber said:

Perhaps what this argument comes down to is whether or not you view the game's depiction of women as a tounge in cheek, jokey sort of thing, done on purpose for the sake of parody or what have you, or if you view it as a shameless attempt to appeal to a young male audience. Personally, it seems to me to be more of the latter.
    "
    Just because you didn't get the response you assumed you would, don't call my argument void and equally, just because you misunderstand or misuse the concept of projecting sexual objectivity don't try to invalidate my example of RAKK HIVE potentially being a sexual object.  In the case of the latter you seem to totally ignore the context of phallic symbols wherein non-human non-sentient items such as cars, guns (common for some) and complex gadgetry are often referred to as such because they are often used as a reference of virility.    Even the humble bottle of Coke is an allusion to the female form.

In any case that aspect of my  argument was purposely good humored as to reflect the tongue-in-cheek nature of Bayonetta's ridiculously over the top overt sexuality.  I find it rather sad that you couldn't grasp or ignored the goodwill and humour as it was intended, but then I shouldn't be surprised either as you seem to miss both aspects of the game which we're discussing. 

So much so that you took the discussion into a dark place by referring to the overtly sexual imagery as being potentially responsible for uncontrolled feelings of lust which could end in rape*.  

To try and then restore your shaky argument by telling me that I twisted your words or by 'nitpicking' is actually offensive.  If you say something serious in a discussion, stand by it.  Don't try to play the victim, it's weak.  I haven't attacked you as a person.  I have only commented on the words and ideas that you put forward because I do not agree with those ideas.  Words are indeed designed for something and that is communication. If as you say, they "mean whatever the vast majority of people accept them to mean" it's because they are the tools by which we can convey ideas to one another.  

When you use the words lust and rape in a discussion regarding the potential overuse of sexual objectivity in a computer game you are quite clearly trying to elevate or denigrate the discussion in saying that you feel that said game is dangerous in its use of sexuality.  I disagree.

LUST + OVERT SEXUALITY + GAME =/ RAPE

LUST =/ RAPE

OVERT SEXUALITY + GAME ~= LUST  (I'm not sure how to display the word 'may' as a symbol so "~=" will have to do)

That we disagree is another matter entirely as you took the conversation to a really dark place where you puppet the victims of such heinous crimes to appeal to people's fears and to cast aspersion and doubts on the game and its creators.  That is frankly offensive to me on every level.  I won't even bother with any similes or metaphors to convey how I feel about your use of the word rape in this discussion as they would pointlessly be mere echoes of my true feelings.  It just sucks.  Badly. 

That you bring up the fact of your work with victims of rape is even worse and it seems you can't help yourself from using to other people's awful experiences as some prop for your arguments, which are undeniably shaky.  Their pain doesn't belong in this discussion and bile rises to my throat at a rate of knots that you even mention it so casually. 

I have no lack of comprehension skill so I don't need to try reading what you wrote.  I read it already and it exists as only a portion of your commentary.  It's an important summation, yes, but to only respond to it and it alone would be an affront because the summation itself is rather harmless and doesn't reflect the rest of your acidic comments which you tossed out with reckless abandon.  

* I hid my commentary on your usage of the word out of respect for other people's feeling and to make it clear that in my view it didn't belong in the discussion but you seem hell bent on keeping it in public view.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MrKlorox

Nah, they could have done it up way worse.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Zereta
    @MrKlorox said:
    " Nah, they could have done it up way worse. "
    This I agree with. I played the Bayonetta demo again and it def could have been much worse.
    JackLumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By JackLumber
    @SeriouslyNow: 

Even if that's true it doesn't apply to the male gaze. If you can point to me where in "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema" there's anything to suggest that it would, by all means, show me. 

How do you expect me to take your argument as "purposely good humored as to reflect the tongue-in-cheek nature of Bayonetta" when in the same post you're making weird personal attacks comparing me to a televangelist?

And I'm not saying the game is going to lead ot rape. In fact, I said it wouldn't. The point I was trying to make was that it contributes to a mindset in which people are more permissive to rape, and of course, it follows logically that it would make them more likely to do it. It's absurd to say that Bayonetta is going to make you go out and rape someone, but Bayonetta in combination with the hundreds of other similar depiction across a wide range of media one might consume could certainly make it much more likely that the person consuming all of that media would have a mindset that would make them more likely to rape someone if in certain situations. It's not like I'm pulling these ideas out my ass. It's pretty basic media effects theory shit. 

I mean, it's absolutely debatable.  Communications researchers have been debating how much the media effects our attitudes and behaviors for years. I could be wrong about all this, but it seems plausible, and seeing it as a possibility means I'm not going to like it. That sort of thing bothers me anyway. As I've said, I don't think the game should be banned or anything, I was just saying that that aspect of is something that turns me off about the game, which is what this thread is about. 

And don't tell me I'm using their experiences as a prop for my arguments. That's just flat out wrong, and a cruel thing to say. I said it so that a) you might have an idea of where I'm coming from, and how my experiences might have shaped my view of this issue, and b) because you called my knowledge of the issue into question.  

And I didn't really realize why you'd try to hide that. It seemed odd to me, I figured you made a mistake or something. And then I commented on it because it seemed to me to be highly relevant to the discussion.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Galamoth said:
    " Yeah I'd rather play as a really old lady in a sweat suit. "
    This

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.