Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bayonetta

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Oct 29, 2009

Bayonetta is a "non-stop action game" from PlatinumGames. The titular character is a witch who can use hair-based magic, as well as firearms attached to her feet, to battle fallen angels and other foes.

What's up with Bayonetta on the PS3?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ch13696

Just out of curiosity, I think I've seen this somewhere before, but did the developers ever say why the PS3 version looks crappier than the 360 version? Because this can affect me buying the game. If it's something out of their control then I'll buy it. There's nothing they can do. But if they did it on purpose, basically something they can fix but don't want to, then I'm not going to buy it. Anyways, does anyone know?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Sambambo

"But if they did it on purpose, basically something they can fix but don't want to, then I'm not going to buy it. Anyways, does anyone know? "

Why on earth would they do that/not fix it if they could?

udabenshen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By udabenshen

Its as simple as this:  

Platinum Games developed the 360 version and the ps3 port was done internally by Sega.  They had some issues with getting the framerate as consistent as on 360.  Its not broken, just technically inferior. 

I doubt, however, that it will be that radically different of a game.  If the game looks fun to you, get it!

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dogbox

I'm playing it on PS3 and while there indeed some framerate issues it's certainly still playable and fun.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

I don't wish to cause offense dude, but there are already numerous topics in the forum that will answer your questions, and give you a great deal of insight into what's up.  

Edit 

The game at the development stage was entirely geared to squeeze the 360 as much as it could safely. The code is streamlined for 360.  There's a write on Eurogamer, and a very competent comparison. 

I should add, that Bayonetta is one of the most technically demanding games of this generation, some stages in particular stretch the 360 to it's very limits, that's evident, and you know it's not through ill programming. You can't do everything, but Bayonetta tries to, lol. The PG team responsible are highly skilled, just look at the games they've given us in the past. 

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ch13696
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I don't wish to cause offense dude, but there are already numerous topics in the forum that will answer your questions, and give you a great deal of insight into what's up.   Edit  The game at the development stage was entirely geared to squeeze the 360 as much as it could safely. The code is streamlined for 360.  There's a write on Eurogamer, and a very competent comparison. "
    Basically that's all I needed to know. I checked all the other forum posts and it was just people complaining about the PS3 issues. I just didn't know why it was like that. 

@SuperSambo said:
    "  "But if they did it on purpose, basically something they can fix but don't want to, then I'm not going to buy it. Anyways, does anyone know? "  Why on earth would they do that/not fix it if they could? "
    I've heard some people saying stuff like that. I mean, I'm pretty sure they didn't do it on purpose. So, does that mean they will bring out a fix? Because right now I'm probably thinking about waiting till the game drops in price.
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Heartagram

I know that on IGN they have separate Video Reviews. You should watch each and judge for yourself 

Bayonetta on IGN

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ch13696
    @Heartagram said:
    " I know that on IGN they have separate Video Reviews. You should watch each and judge for yourself 

Bayonetta on IGN "
    Yeah I read those reviews. I'm not impressed or even close. Their bottom line scores are not even close to what they were mentioning in the review. Basically, they gave all low scores due to frame rate issues and blur effects. The 360 score was perfect but for some reason the PS3 score didn't fit. They dropped the lasting appeal rating even though the replay value is exactly the same as the 360 version. 

Maybe I should get the 360 version. I just need to get of the RRoD.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

A post of mine from another thread
    A high rate of FPS is absolutely vital for the game to maintain it's excellent gameplay, there's way too much going on in this game to have to endure terrible frame dips that distort your ability to read the game and act accordingly. The combat demands a rock solid FPS, something that even the 360 version cannot provide throughout. There's also the issue of long loading screens which break the intensity and flow of the game too harshly on PS3. In the 360 version your in that practise session soon, performing moves gearing up for the next battle.

As far as external polish is concerned, textures in places seem worse than those that can be found in the best PS2 games. The lighting so dark and murky in places, can give the game a notably different atmosphere on PS3. Blurry undefined edges mean some of the most visually awesome moments in the game, are simply not going to be appreciated by Sony PS3 users to the same degree.   

I've played it, I know first hand how well it compares to the 360 game. The experience is sadly diminished.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By raven_squad

I've played it extensively now, and I have yet to encounter a single issue that really hurt the experience for me one bit. Perhaps if you'd played the 360 version before hand it would be an issue, but I certainly wouldn't let it stop me from experiencing this incredible game... 

Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
    PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII
    @raven_squad said:

" I've played it extensively now, and I have yet to encounter a single issue that really hurt the experience for me one bit. Perhaps if you'd played the 360 version before hand it would be an issue, but I certainly wouldn't let it stop me from experiencing this incredible game...  "

I agree, I'm at mid point of the game, and I find all these claims that the PS3 version is near unplayable to be nothing but fluffed up hyperbole.  Even as it is, Bayonetta on PS3 is my favorite game of the past few years.  Down the road, if I ever get a 360, I'll consider picking it up on that system as well just to show more support for Platinum.  As an aside, I was reminded today of one advantage of this version, not much appreciated either really.  My sisters boyfriend is a serious gamer, he actually comes over with her to throw down in BlazBlue and SF4 every now and then.  He came over while I was playing Bayonetta, asked me how I was enjoying, I replied and asked him how he liked and how far he was.

Said he hadn't played it since Wednesday night.

His 360 red ringed on chapter 4.  Ouch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.