Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beer

Object » linked to 188 games

Beer is an alcoholic beverage made from water, barley, hops and brewer's yeast. It is the number one cause of hangovers, poor decisions, and one-night stands in human history, but we always manage to forgive it because it loves us.

How do you get Carnegie Hall?

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

Edited By dvaeg

Practice!   And how do you get better at writing blogs that are cohesively constructed, interesting to read and contain useful, helpful, or mildly entertaining information, thoughts or witticisms?  Practice.

Of course if I'm writing a blog on website about video games, I should probably be playing a video game or two to comment on.   Unfortunately, those things take time.   One thing I do not have a lot of right now.   I've been trying to balance time in Half-Life 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, World of Warcraft and Minecraft at the same time -- this doesn't actually seem possible, but I have not yet stopped trying.    My current lack of Internet access is the number one thing holding me back, as I can't play either WoW or HL2 without it, and those are the two I want to play most right now.   This leaves me with little alternative but to bleg on the few things that are on my mind right now.

Beer

Absolutely one of my favorite things in this world,  beer is a testament to man's ingenuity and tireless effort in pursuit of worldly happiness.   This weekend will mark my first foray into an entirely different level of beer-related love;  I am going to start home brewing.   As my preferred poison is a nice, cloudy hefeweizen, I have amassed the necessary equipment and have ordered a hefeweizen kit, granting me everything I need to brew 5 full gallons of this Nectar of the Gods.   I won't be going it alone though, as I will be joined by my brother-in-law, who has been home brewing for about three years now.    When it's all said and done in about 6 weeks, I will likely drink myself into a stupor. 

Money

News flash:  this economy sucks.   I've been doing my part to sock away money for retirement at my normal pace throughout this recession, choosing to keep up the habit so I can live within my means.  This means a double digit percentage of my salary is diverted into a 401k.   Six years ago I had a small nest egg set aside in various 401Ks from three different employers.    After checking again this morning, I have made tens of thousands of dollars in additional contributions these past few years, and I now have...a slightly smaller nest egg than I did a few years ago.  

As a professionally training economist, this is bullshit.

Patch 4.01

Seriously Blizzard?   I need to completely relearn all of my classes (all two of them?!) now that all the mechanics have changed?   Ugh.   I have to say though, I'm glad that WoW still feels fresh for casual players like me.  There's something new to learn at every turn.  I am supposed to join my first ICC raid ever this weekend, and I have no clue how to play my class or any time to learn it in 3 days.   Knowing some of the people in my guild, it's entirely possible I will still out-dps all but one other player.

Old Content

Not necessarily old games, but old stuff I've written.   Way back when (say, 2002ish) I wrote for a small website under an alter ego.   They have long since gone the way of the dodo, but I've been thinking about transferring my reviews and content to GB.   Since most of my writing was about video games and alcohol, I think this might be the best place. 

And that's what's on my mind right now.  

That, and hamburgers.
    dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dvaeg

Practice!   And how do you get better at writing blogs that are cohesively constructed, interesting to read and contain useful, helpful, or mildly entertaining information, thoughts or witticisms?  Practice.

Of course if I'm writing a blog on website about video games, I should probably be playing a video game or two to comment on.   Unfortunately, those things take time.   One thing I do not have a lot of right now.   I've been trying to balance time in Half-Life 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, World of Warcraft and Minecraft at the same time -- this doesn't actually seem possible, but I have not yet stopped trying.    My current lack of Internet access is the number one thing holding me back, as I can't play either WoW or HL2 without it, and those are the two I want to play most right now.   This leaves me with little alternative but to bleg on the few things that are on my mind right now.

Beer

Absolutely one of my favorite things in this world,  beer is a testament to man's ingenuity and tireless effort in pursuit of worldly happiness.   This weekend will mark my first foray into an entirely different level of beer-related love;  I am going to start home brewing.   As my preferred poison is a nice, cloudy hefeweizen, I have amassed the necessary equipment and have ordered a hefeweizen kit, granting me everything I need to brew 5 full gallons of this Nectar of the Gods.   I won't be going it alone though, as I will be joined by my brother-in-law, who has been home brewing for about three years now.    When it's all said and done in about 6 weeks, I will likely drink myself into a stupor. 

Money

News flash:  this economy sucks.   I've been doing my part to sock away money for retirement at my normal pace throughout this recession, choosing to keep up the habit so I can live within my means.  This means a double digit percentage of my salary is diverted into a 401k.   Six years ago I had a small nest egg set aside in various 401Ks from three different employers.    After checking again this morning, I have made tens of thousands of dollars in additional contributions these past few years, and I now have...a slightly smaller nest egg than I did a few years ago.  

As a professionally training economist, this is bullshit.

Patch 4.01

Seriously Blizzard?   I need to completely relearn all of my classes (all two of them?!) now that all the mechanics have changed?   Ugh.   I have to say though, I'm glad that WoW still feels fresh for casual players like me.  There's something new to learn at every turn.  I am supposed to join my first ICC raid ever this weekend, and I have no clue how to play my class or any time to learn it in 3 days.   Knowing some of the people in my guild, it's entirely possible I will still out-dps all but one other player.

Old Content

Not necessarily old games, but old stuff I've written.   Way back when (say, 2002ish) I wrote for a small website under an alter ego.   They have long since gone the way of the dodo, but I've been thinking about transferring my reviews and content to GB.   Since most of my writing was about video games and alcohol, I think this might be the best place. 

And that's what's on my mind right now.  

That, and hamburgers.
    yoyokid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By yoyokid

dude home brewing is amazing the beer tastes so much better then that pasteurized shit that you get from the store. i drink mine a lot but have to sub in some store bough when i run out and brewing some more. what brand of kit did u get?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By bed

nice read! good luck with the beer brewing, hehe. 

dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dvaeg
    @yoyokid:   At first I went for this, but they are out of the recommended yeast.    So I ended up buying this one.

@AjayRaz:  Thanks!   I plan on drinking it all.  
    Avatar image for dork_metamorphosis
    Dork_Metamorphosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dvaeg said:
    " @yoyokid:   At first I went for this, but they are out of the recommended yeast.    So I ended up buying this one.

@AjayRaz:  Thanks!   I plan on drinking it all.   "
    Good choice, and Northern Brewer is a quality outfit.   Did you get an auto-siphon with your kit?  You'll want one.  I assume your BIL told you that already though. 
    dvaeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dvaeg
    @Dork_Metamorphosis said:
    " @dvaeg said:
    " @yoyokid:   At first I went for this, but they are out of the recommended yeast.    So I ended up buying this one.

@AjayRaz:  Thanks!   I plan on drinking it all.   "
    Good choice, and Northern Brewer is a quality outfit.   Did you get an auto-siphon with your kit?  You'll want one.  I assume your BIL told you that already though.  "
    I think he did tell me that.   I said "I want to make my own beer".   He said, "let me put together a shopping list."  And I pulled out my credit card and bought everything he said I needed.

Now he did say that if I wanted to make a good lager, I need more.   So I will need to wait on that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.