Are there really enough Bellator fans to warrant a game?

#1 Posted by simonsez (3 posts) -

As an MMA fan I barely follow Bellator (mostly watching Eddie Alvarez) - are there really enough fans to warrant a developer making a game for this niche league? It strikes me as a pretty strange business decision.

#2 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Maybe they thought that this would be a good way of raising awareness.

#3 Posted by L44 (550 posts) -

That is a really good question. Because Bellator is a relative unknown, the only way this would make any money would be for this game to come out and be unbelievably good. People won't buy this for just the sheer mystery of what the fuck Bellator even is.

#4 Posted by wafflez (523 posts) -
@BraveToaster said:

Maybe they thought that this would be a good way of raising awareness.

this is a very good reason and I'd assume its correct.  Also, achievement hunters (and Jeff) will buy it
#5 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

I'd never even heard of Bellator before I heard of this game. Maybe it's a case of trying to raise the profile of Bellator by releasing a game, rather than trying to capitalize on an existing fanbase?

#6 Posted by iAmJohn (6108 posts) -

Keep in mind: this game is being published by 345 Games, MTV/Comedy Central/Spike TV's games division, that Bellator is owned by Viacom who also owns 345 and all those networks, and that Spike would really like this to be a success for them now that they've lost UFC to Fox.

#7 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

@simonsez: Why does it say staff under your name?

#8 Posted by cbsimon (3 posts) -

@TheVeteran13: I work for CBS with and NPH helping re-build the web site - one of the perks of the gig is having the staff wording under my name!

#9 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

Most MMA fans I talk to have never heard of Bellator, despite it being free on MTV. It's kinda sad, they have great fights once in awhile. I'd like to see an MMA game based on one of the Japanese promotions, but it would probably never come out here.

#10 Posted by Sumbog (481 posts) -

Well the usual Bellator event dosn't do too bad in the ratings, and when they eventually move to Spike they will do even better. I think this game is a good way to raise people's awareness of Bellator, because it seems to me most people don't know about the organization (despite it being arguably the number 2 MMA org). Personally I don't like Bellator, I hate the tournament system and the non-title fights for their champions, but still guys like Michael Chandler are awesome.

#11 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Never heard of it before the game. So no?

#12 Posted by Village_Guy (2492 posts) -

I have never heard of it before, and it doesn't seem like it has a huge following, I'm not sure this game would inspire much interest in Bellator either.

Also you're going to create some confusion with that staff tag :P

#13 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@cbsimon said:

I work for CBS with and NPH

Neil Patrick Harris is working on the site redesign, confirmed!

#14 Posted by AgnosticJesus (542 posts) -

Only time I've ever seen Bellator was when I had horrible insomnia and it came on after Poker After Dark. The fight quality isn't that great.

#15 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

@cbsimon: Oh, ok the new username clears up confusion.

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@simonsez said:

As an MMA fan I barely follow Bellator (mostly watching Eddie Alvarez) - are there really enough fans to warrant a developer making a game for this niche league? It strikes me as a pretty strange business decision.

I thought the same thing when I saw the QL go up. Who is this game for?

#17 Posted by MrMazz (918 posts) -

Nope not really. Bellator is owned by Viacom though so it dosen't really matter if there is an auidence Viacom gets what it wants. Bellator in general has done a good job making it hard to get a natural grass roots following. Being on FSN and being prempted every time than moving to MTV2 which has no sports base at all and isn't exactly known for original content in the first place.

Only good thing is Spike loses the rights to the old UFC library in 2013 and they will be moved to Spike which will increase their potential viewership by a ton. Even if Spike is still a casual destination for males who just know it as that channel with the UFC on it the UFC brand is getting more exposure via FOX and has been around longer. I've tried to get my casual freiends to watch Bellator but since it isn't UFC they don't really care which is a shame since they have some great fighter 170lbs and below, after 185 man it's a crap shoot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.