I could have worked on inFamous 2 :(

#1 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

I was in the interview process at Sucker Punch to test infamous 2 when I got hired at my current non gaming job.

I was so excited at the possibility of working on a game I'm excited for and a developer again, but when I had to measure the fact it was a contract job compared to the fulltime retail job with benefits job I have now I know I made the right decision.

But I can always dream of what could have been.

#2 Posted by N7 (3574 posts) -

I remember that post. Didn't you turn it down because you had to raise a family?

#3 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

Yup. What I make now us a lot more then what I would have made.

#4 Posted by DeeGee (2116 posts) -

Work on, test, I'm not sure if I think they're the same thing >.>

#5 Posted by HatKing (5848 posts) -

I could have been a tester for Saints Row 2/Red Faction Guerrilla.  The only reason I didn't take the job was because the city they're located in is (or was at the time) about forty minutes away, and I just couldn't justify the commute when I had a job in the town I lived in.

#6 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -
@DeeGee I agree. I should have used different terminology but in my defense when you do developer testing while you don't actually fix the bugs you may have to show the developers how the bug occurs personally or even use tools to locate the bug a little deeper.

@HatKing When I worked at Nintendo the commute was almost and hour.
#7 Posted by Amerist (58 posts) -
@Shakezula84: That sounds like a mad commute, but then I realized that here in Phoenix, a 1 hour commute has never been unknown to me. (Dreadful and annoying, but dismally common.) ξ
#8 Posted by c_rakestraw (839 posts) -

You definitely made the right choice if you've got a family to support. Game testing ain't that great of a long-term career, I hear, in addition to the poor pay.

#9 Posted by HatKing (5848 posts) -
@Shakezula84: The commute just seemed like an unnecessary expense considering I already had a job about two blocks away from my house.
#10 Posted by hoossy (932 posts) -

I always worried that working on a game for the long hours would ruin my ability to sit back and enjoy them during my free time...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.