Bethesda is offering to give away every game they've ever made...

• 75 results
#1 Posted by Geno (6479 posts) -
#2 Posted by august (3811 posts) -

Someone call Robin WIlliams.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (22696 posts) -

...Did they accidentally hire someone from Acclaim's old marketing team?

#4 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

Why couldn't they have let us know sooner?  Even if I impregnate a woman today, it's going to be born after that.

#5 Posted by guthwulf (251 posts) -

It's kinda unfair because the child must have already been conceived if you want a realistic chance at getting this. Also Dovahkiin is a pretty shitty name.

#6 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

That's pretty awesome/funny, but I feel bad for the kid who gets named Dovahkiin.  Maybe as a middle name.

#7 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

Well, that seems a bit irresponsible.

#8 Posted by natetodamax (19136 posts) -

Oh, whaaat... that is really bizarre. I wonder what it would be like growing up knowing you were named Dovahkiin so your father/mother could get free games.

#9 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4037 posts) -

Damn, polygamists probably have a better shot at this...

#10 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

At least it's a good story to tell you kid. Good luck getting your wife/girlfriend to agree to this though...also explaining the name to relatives could get awkward. 

#11 Posted by GeneralTurkle (335 posts) -

His name could be dovey. That isn't bad.

/sarcasm

#12 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

If I knew that I was named Dovahkiin because of a contest, I'd be unbelievably depressed.

#13 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

That will be a great story for the kid to tell when he grows up.

#14 Posted by Beforet (2884 posts) -

Someone was already planning on doing that, I'd wager.

#15 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

I don't think the name is that bad. Just call the kid Donovan and claim that someone fucked up the birth certificate.

#16 Posted by Berserker976 (291 posts) -
@xobballox:  

"  Disclaimer: Any reward for completing this quest will not ultimately justify the potential teasing your child could — and probably will — endure over its lifespan. Bethesda Softworks is not responsible for your parenting. You may gain experience points for completing this quest, but you will not care at 3am on a work night. Completion of this quest may also result in decreased desire to play video games and/or function as a human being. Consult with your friends before embarking on this quest; while it may not start in prison, it probably ends there."

#17 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I don't see it happening .
#18 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

I wouldn't fuck with a kid named Dovahkiin.  That motherfucker's dragon-born!

#19 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5117 posts) -

Yep, it's totally worth ruining your child's life for 400$.

#20 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

You probably could name the kid that, then leave it a couple weeks and have his/her named changed. 

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" ...Did they accidentally hire someone from Acclaim's old marketing team? "
Yeah I was totally reminded of that stuff. I think the Shadowman graveyard stunt is still one of the most appalling attempts at marketing I've seen.  

Man... imagine explaining that to your kid. Well, Dovahkiin. you were given that name because mommy and daddy wanted free video games from Besthesda. Sorry everyone you meet mocks you, but we couldn't pass it up!
#22 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I already called my kid Akuma so I can't join in.

#23 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -
@Berserker976 said:
" @xobballox:  

"  Disclaimer: Any reward for completing this quest will not ultimately justify the potential teasing your child could — and probably will — endure over its lifespan. Bethesda Softworks is not responsible for your parenting. You may gain experience points for completing this quest, but you will not care at 3am on a work night. Completion of this quest may also result in decreased desire to play video games and/or function as a human being. Consult with your friends before embarking on this quest; while it may not start in prison, it probably ends there."

"
Yeah, still though.  I would almost bet someone that will be a terrible parent will try to have a child by that date and name the kid that, and the kid grows up being made fun of and having terrible parents.
#24 Posted by Harbinger_Of_Hippos (224 posts) -

The child's happiness be damned! I want free Bethesda games!

#25 Posted by zameer (605 posts) -

Turok was funnier imo.

#26 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

If you're going to do a disclaimer like that, then why even bother having the contest?

Oh right, to get news stories on sites reminding us Skyrim is coming out on 11.11.11. Ahhh, those clever marketing guys, they got us again.

#27 Posted by Ironbunny (51 posts) -

That sounds like the worst thing ever.

#28 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I resent my parents for not having the balls to name me after a Star Trek character. I would totally do this. Except for the whole not having a girlfriend or wanting to have a kid at 21 thing. I am also not the biggest Bethesda fan.

#29 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

hurry bang someone right now

#30 Posted by SomeJerk (2966 posts) -

Better than most names tossed out there today. Look at the school yards, it's not the kids with two mommies or two daddies being bullied, it's a flock of children born to parents who saw one of the Matrix films, Star Wars prequels or the Lord of The Rings trilogy. Even the welfare kids with broken shoes and worn out shirts join in.

#31 Posted by Dilenger93 (42 posts) -

What happens if the game gets delayed?
#32 Posted by SammydesinasNL (840 posts) -

Well, technically you could make it the kid's second name.
#33 Posted by JackSukeru (5816 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" Why couldn't they have let us know sooner?  Even if I impregnate a woman today, it's going to be born after that. "
I feel like this was a deliberate and wise way to go about this.
#34 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -

Hide your women!

#35 Posted by Soulglove (143 posts) -

I feel like you have a better chance at this than having their game actually come out on the 11/11/11.

#36 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -
@RockmanBionics said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" Why couldn't they have let us know sooner?  Even if I impregnate a woman today, it's going to be born after that. "
I feel like this was a deliberate and wise way to go about this. "
You can always hope for a preemie!
#37 Posted by ch3burashka (4900 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
Wikipedia says human pregnancy is 37-42 weeks, so you're still good. However, that's still a big range, so I suggest you impregnate a LOT of women to increase your chances. Telling them your plan might not be a good idea, though.
#38 Posted by AlexW00d (6059 posts) -

I kinda like the name tbh...

#39 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5235 posts) -
@CH3BURASHKA said:
" @MattyFTM said:
Wikipedia says human pregnancy is 37-42 weeks, so you're still good. However, that's still a big range, so I suggest you impregnate a LOT of women to increase your chances. Telling them your plan might not be a good idea, though. "
No, but impregnating a LOT women is always the key to winning. Condoms are for second place losers.
#40 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

confirmed: bethesda - aggressively pro-life.

#41 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

It's on. My fiancée wants a 3rd child. So, I'm doing this.

#42 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

WHO HERE IS READY FOR THE CHALLENGE?

Come forward, thy noblest of peoples, and accept thy challenge. 

For it is written in the Elder Scrolls:  
2011 of the Current Serpentine Era,  
a child will be,  
of a Dragon,  
born.
#43 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

Dovahkiin Johansson...yeah with the right mix of genes and a little luck a person could find success even with the name. 

I'm a dragon slayer
#44 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" I don't think the name is that bad. Just call the kid Donovan and claim that someone fucked up the birth certificate. "
That would be a Major league fuck up if that actually happened.
#45 Posted by eroticfishcake (7780 posts) -

The reward is awesome but the concept is fucking awful.

#46 Posted by FlyingRat (1445 posts) -

Why the fuck would anyone do that?

#47 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

In some alternate universe, an eight year old named Turok is getting a baby brother named Dovahkiin.

#48 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I hope someone claims this. 

#49 Posted by dungbootle (2453 posts) -

Wish I'd known about this sooner.

#50 Posted by Dalai (6876 posts) -

For every Bethesda game ever? No fucking way. I'd give it some thought if it were Nintendo or even EA, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.