Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bethesda Softworks

Company »

Bethesda Softworks is an American publisher responsible for franchises like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, and more. Previously a part of Zenimax Media, Bethesda was purchased by Microsoft in September 2020.

Could someone tell me if this would be a good idea?

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pw2566ch

I submitted this picture on Reddit, but I haven't got a single reply as to why it's being downvoted.

No Caption Provided

I thought this would be a hell of a good idea. I mean, think about it.

• Jedi's and Sith most of the time work alone.
    • Just like in the beginning of Skyrim, you can find out that you can learn the Force.
    • Instead of traveling in one land, you can travel through different worlds. Your ship will be your horse.

There's all kinds of different possibilities and I believe that Lucas Arts should think about this.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Genius! 

Meh, Star Wars, meh..

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

If you took out the Star Wars part, that'd be great!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By TobbRobb

Fuck you. I'm installing Freelancer again.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pw2566ch

@TobbRobb said:

I had to look up this game. Why is it that I never heard of this?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mazik765

Lots of hate for Star Wars....

Would be cool, but doubt it will ever happen. I do love me a good Star Wars game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TobbRobb

@pw2566ch: You missed out my friend, :P I don't know how it would hold up for new players, but I freaking love it.

I also get the urge to replay it every other week or so since people keep raving for new space sims, very loudly, all over the internet.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

I'm not sure that the Star Wars universe is equipped to handle characters that act rationally or based on some form of logic. You know, like players with true free will.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kingzetta

well there would be a huge lack of loot because a lightsaber is a lightsaber.
    I think it would be neat

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pw2566ch

@nintendoeats said:

I'm not sure that the Star Wars universe is equipped to handle characters that act rationally or based on some form of logic. You know, like players with true free will.

Couldn't the same be said for all Elder Scrolls games? The universe doesn't have to change because of free will. From what I've experienced in Skyrim, nothing changes if I decide to kill a bunch of people.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By thatfrood

@TobbRobb said:

Fuck yes.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nintendoeats

@pw2566ch: The difference is that Star Wars has an established fiction and internal logic that everybody knows, and players can't be permitted to act in ways that are inconsistent with them. The ES universe has never had such a thing, and was expressly designed to let players dick around doing whatever they want. As weird as this can be in-game, at the very least players can't act in ways that are inconsistent with the broader fiction.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pw2566ch

@kingzetta said:

well there would be a huge lack of loot because a lightsaber is a lightsaber. I think it would be neat

There's different forms of lightsabers. You would have your double bladed be the two handed. You can dual wield lightsabers. Of course there's also different color crystals, different types of hilts. You also don't have to stick to lightsabers. There's also blaster rifles for the ranged lover.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TobbRobb

@nintendoeats: Though I can act like a complete fuckwad and still be a Jedi in most SW games? I don't really see your point. Just because I'm a Star Wars Bounty Hunter doesn't mean I have no heart. ;(

Also isn't a very large part of SWtOR acting entirely out of character? Light Side Sith and so on.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pw2566ch

@TobbRobb said:

@nintendoeats: Though I can act like a complete fuckwad and still be a Jedi in most SW games? I don't really see your point. Just because I'm a Star Wars Bounty Hunter doesn't mean I have no heart. ;(

Also isn't a very large part of SWtOR acting entirely out of character? Light Side Sith and so on.

That's true. I've played a lot of the Old Republic and noticed that what I do doesn't affect the back story. Also, after five games, Elder Scrolls already established some sort of story that can piss of fanboys if it was done wrong.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta
    @pw2566ch said:

@kingzetta said:

well there would be a huge lack of loot because a lightsaber is a lightsaber. I think it would be neat

There's different forms of lightsabers. You would have your double bladed be the two handed. You can dual wield lightsabers. Of course there's also different color crystals, different types of hilts. You also don't have to stick to lightsabers. There's also blaster rifles for the ranged lover.

yeah but besides color they all look the same. it's not as big of a difference as iron,steel, ebony, orcish, elven, glass, dadric.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShaggE

A wall-cutting sim from Bethesda? Hell yeah!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kingzetta
    @TobbRobb: Well that wright said a light side sith is kill them quickly instead of slowly. A dark side jedi is giving someone not the best advice. So it's not like the light side sith is all sunshine and lollipops.
    pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pw2566ch

@ShaggE said:

A wall-cutting sim from Bethesda? Hell yeah!

A way better idea than what I previously had. We'll definitely go with this.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoeats

@pw2566ch: @TobbRobb: To be sure there is some of that in Bioware games, but I feel like there is a difference of degree, and also kind to some extent. Bioware's achievement is that they can write large amounts of dialog that ties everything together. Bethesda is more focused on building gameplay systems that will adapt to player behavior. Because they are using their own universe that they control they can adjust that universe to fit what their systems will do. Obviously as their games become more popular this becomes less true (as people are more familiar with pre-established concepts), but since they have only been making small changes to a preexisting design model this has yet to be too much of a problem. If they were to radically alter how those games were built I think that you would see some very weird stuff happen within the fiction to account to for new forms of player interaction.

Basically, Bioware builds much more controlled experiences than Bethesda. They are just very good at making you FEEL like you have more freedom than you really do. Bethesda would find themselves constrained by the preexisting fiction.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pw2566ch

@kingzetta said:

@pw2566ch said:

@kingzetta said:

yeah but besides color they all look the same. it's not as big of a difference as iron,steel, ebony, orcish, elven, glass, dadric.

I know this matter a lot in the Elder Scrolls universe, but I'm sure if Bethesda were to work with Lucas Arts, I'm sure they would come up with something bad ass with the Star Wars weapons.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By coaxmetal

@Cloudenvy said:

If you took out the Star Wars part, that'd be great!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jimbo

@pw2566ch: I had the exact same thought when I was playing Skyrim.

I wouldn't expect Bethesda to do it necessarily, but given how well Fallout 3 / Fallout NV / Skyrim have sold, I am surprised EA haven't taken a crack at making a competing first person open-world RPG yet. They do take a lot of work to do well, but the rewards are clearly there, and the Star Wars license would only add to that pull. I think the universe would work well too.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By kindgineer

The reason it's getting down voted is because Reddit is full of hipsters that hate on things for the sake of hating (and love things for hell of it too). I think Bethesda would be a great studio to make a Star Wars game but right now it's too soon and we don't need more Star Warsy lore clogging up our gaming tubes.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pw2566ch

@nintendoeats: I still believe that Bethesda can do this. The only difference between how Bioware and Bethesda does their games is the dialogue choices. Everything else is still the same if you think about it. You create your character and you watch as the story develops. The character does not change any of that story and your created character is never part of the back story.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Jimbo

Just remembered, Lucas Arts themselves hired Clint Hocking (Far Cry 2) and there was talk of them working on an open world RPG. So... maybe?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kingzetta
    @pw2566ch: like this?
    pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pw2566ch

@kingzetta said:

@pw2566ch: like this?

Son of a bitch. Here's my wallet, my life savings, and my dignity. Give me that damn lightsaber.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.