So if we get Baldur's Gate, how about Fallout 1 & 2?

#1 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I've loved my iPad ever since picking it up, but I've been sorely desiring some more in-depth gaming on the device. After hearing about Baldur's Gate coming to the device, my mind has been racing with other possibilites. Maybe Baldur's gate can set the stage for some other great revivals?

I heard about Bethesda staffing up for an iOS title recently on NeoGAFand it got me thinking that maybe, just maybe the isometric return of Fallout might be a good fit. Maybe a revival of Fallout 1 & 2? Of course, it could always be some sort of "lore" app for Elder Scrolls like the ME3 Datapad, but here's to hoping it's something more interesting.

So who would be down for seeing Fallout on iPad? Any other titles from Bethesda you might want to see?

#2 Posted by Anthony (237 posts) -

It would definitely work well on a touch screen especially since they are turn-based. Bring Fallout Tactics as well.

#3 Posted by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -

I may be a crazy person, but I would buy an iPad if it meant I could play a new proper isometric Fallout. Fallout 2 is still my favorite game of all time. I dropped a hundred dollars on the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter. Though to be fair, I'm having to fight the urge to buy an iPad anyway, this would just push me over the edge.

#4 Posted by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

Stop the meandering and cut to Arcanum directly, boom, done.

#5 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

Fallout 1,2 and tactics was being sold on steam recently for next to nothing. Just play them on your pc or laptop.

#6 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

You know what else would work pretty well?

X-COM.

#7 Posted by Enigma777 (6074 posts) -

How about some Planetscape Fucking Torment!

#8 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I agree. I'd love a high resolution remake of Fallout 1 and 2, AND Arcanum. But since Arcanum's primary combat mode was real-time, and the turn based stuff wasn't fleshed out too well, It probably wouldn't be as good a fit.

#9 Edited by Scrawnto (2452 posts) -

@Christoffer said:

Stop the meandering and cut to Arcanum directly, boom, done.

Despite loving the Fallouts so much, I could never get past how Arcanum's graphics and interface were even jankier. The combat also seemed less balanced, though it's entirely possible that I did a bad job while rolling my character. All told, I only played a few hours of Arcanum before I set it down.

@MrKlorox: Ah, maybe that's the problem. I probably played in turn based, since I was accustomed to Fallout mechanics, and made things harder for myself.

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: I have them all, and I do still play them from time to time. What I really want is another game in that style, but I know that's not likely to come from Bethesda. Hence my pledge to Wasteland 2.

#10 Posted by Animasta (14698 posts) -

do you really think bethesda wants to remind people of the series' past? back in the day where the games were written well (so was new vegas, obviously, I was just speakin to 3)

#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@gladspooky said:

X-COM.

I would love to see them bring back the original X-com. That would be an immediate purchase.

#12 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Just cut to Arcanum. Then I might even consider the iPad a gaming device.

#13 Posted by Shivoa (626 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@gladspooky said:

X-COM.

I would love to see them bring back the original X-com. That would be an immediate purchase.

Frozen Synapse is coming to iPad at some point, that might scratch that (or a similar) itch.

#14 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

How about them making new games? That would be pretty cool.

#15 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Winternet said:

Or allowing a generation that never got the chance to get into them. That seems pretty cool too.

#16 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Shivoa said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@gladspooky said:

X-COM.

Frozen Synapse is coming to iPad at some point, that might scratch that (or a similar) itch.

Played it on PC. Couldn't get into it. There is something about the interface and manner of play I just found impenetrable.

#17 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@Winternet said:

Or allowing a generation that never got the chance to get into them. That seems pretty cool too.

So they could go and say "what is this? this is crap!"? Better let them play new games as well.

#18 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1119 posts) -

Interplay still owns the rights to all Fallout's prior to Fallout 3, but they have to get Bethesda's permission to release it on new platforms. Eventually everything Fallout will change hands to Bethesda, but for now, I doubt we will see the old Fallout's on anything other than for the PC.

#19 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@DrDarkStryfe: I thought Bethesda later obtained the rights to the original games too. At least they seem to think they own them from reading all that stuff about them trying to block Fallout MMO and stuff.
#20 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

@DrDarkStryfe: I thought Bethesda later obtained the rights to the original games too. At least they seem to think they do from reading all that stuff about them trying to block Fallout MMO and stuff.

That was my impression of the settlement they reached with Interplay.

#21 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1119 posts) -

My bad, there was a thing in January of this year. Interplay just has permission to sell the first three Fallout's now. I forgot about all of that Fallout Online brouhaha.

#22 Edited by gorkamorkaorka (442 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

So who would be down for seeing Fallout on iPad? Any other titles from Bethesda you might want to see?

I hope you're not calling Fallout 1 and 2 "Bethesda" games. It would be a shame for a new player to play the first two and think "Fallout 3 is not as good as I once thought it was."

#23 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11799 posts) -

@Scrawnto: Nope. Your impressions are pretty spot on. Arcanum is, for better or for worse, basically a less polished Fallout with an incredibly open and fairly imbalanced character development system. I've said some fairly negative things about it in the past, but even though I don't think the story or characters are all that memorable I still think that it's at least an interesting mess of a game, with ambition that far outstrips the actuality of what is accomplished. If it weren't for the kind of terrible real time combat, it'd be a perfect fit for the iPad.

#24 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

My bad, there was a thing in January of this year. Interplay just has permission to sell the first three Fallout's now. I forgot about all of that Fallout Online brouhaha.

Their right to even sell those games will revert entirely to Bethesda pretty soon.

#25 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Fallout on the iPad?

Make it so.

#26 Posted by Zacagawea (1596 posts) -

I'd pay tons of planets for those

#27 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@gorkamorkaorka said:

@BrockNRolla said:

I hope you're not calling Fallout 1 and 2 "Bethesda" games. It would be a shame for a new player to play the first two and think "Fallout 3 is not as good as I once thought it was."

To clarify, I mean games that Bethesda owns. Not ones they necessarily created.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.