Beyond Good & Evil 2 Won't Be Out For A While

• 74 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Despite its conspicuous absence at Ubisoft's E3 2010 media briefingBeyond Good & Evil 2 is still in development. But the forthcoming follow-up might be more than a couple of years in coming.

Creator Michel Ancel recently spoke about the successor to the critical darling at a Montpellier games conference, telling the attendants that the game will be a long time out as a result of its unconventional development process. 

Ancel has a small team on BG&E2, purposefully, in an attempt to keep the game from becoming a "commercial product," and to use it as a flagship for new set of 3D dev tools similar to the 2D ones being used by a five-man team on Rayman Origins. Speaking to the former point: "On this game, we're keeping the team small," Ancel said in French, according to a translation provided via Eurogamer, "to preserve creativity and so the game doesn't become a commercial product; so that it has a soul."

This pig has a soul, right?

== TEASER =="It takes a bit longer," Ancel continued, "but we're very keen to use this system with this game, because it's an ambitious game and we want to create something exceptional."

Earlier in the talk, Ancel apologized, stating that the game "will take time," and urging those who still care to "please have patience." Fair enough, sir.

But how long is "longer?" Within the next five years, at least, you'll get a sequel to the game--provided Ubisoft remains interested in the tech and in the follow-up, which was announced in 2008. "[Beyond Good & Evil 2] hasn't been abandoned," Ancel re-confirmed during the talk. "it's an ongoing project, and we hope to do it in this way using these tools, that's to say making a 3D game with very few people."
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Despite its conspicuous absence at Ubisoft's E3 2010 media briefingBeyond Good & Evil 2 is still in development. But the forthcoming follow-up might be more than a couple of years in coming.

Creator Michel Ancel recently spoke about the successor to the critical darling at a Montpellier games conference, telling the attendants that the game will be a long time out as a result of its unconventional development process. 

Ancel has a small team on BG&E2, purposefully, in an attempt to keep the game from becoming a "commercial product," and to use it as a flagship for new set of 3D dev tools similar to the 2D ones being used by a five-man team on Rayman Origins. Speaking to the former point: "On this game, we're keeping the team small," Ancel said in French, according to a translation provided via Eurogamer, "to preserve creativity and so the game doesn't become a commercial product; so that it has a soul."

This pig has a soul, right?

== TEASER =="It takes a bit longer," Ancel continued, "but we're very keen to use this system with this game, because it's an ambitious game and we want to create something exceptional."

Earlier in the talk, Ancel apologized, stating that the game "will take time," and urging those who still care to "please have patience." Fair enough, sir.

But how long is "longer?" Within the next five years, at least, you'll get a sequel to the game--provided Ubisoft remains interested in the tech and in the follow-up, which was announced in 2008. "[Beyond Good & Evil 2] hasn't been abandoned," Ancel re-confirmed during the talk. "it's an ongoing project, and we hope to do it in this way using these tools, that's to say making a 3D game with very few people."
#2 Posted by Shaanyboi (1342 posts) -

aww..... :(

#3 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -

noooooooo

#4 Posted by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

I get excited whenever this game is brought up.
Makes me wish people would stop bringing it up until it's potential for existence got a little more tangible.

...also, all of this will just serve to make it that much more disappointing when it's finally released and turns out to be "just okay".

#5 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -

I am just glad they acknowledge its existence.

#6 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

I will wait... I want this game to be AWESOME!!!

#7 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@DrDarkStryfe said:
" I am just glad they acknowledge its existence. "
Agreed.  At least it's still in development.
#8 Posted by Goldanas (550 posts) -

I am filled with sadness, but I will wait, Mr. Ancel. 

I will wait.

#9 Posted by SneakyPenguins (242 posts) -

as long as it is still happening, I want this game and if waiting is what i must do fine. Not happy about it though

#10 Posted by BaconGames (3574 posts) -

He's lying out of his goddamn ass, unless he legitimately believes all that hippie commune bullshit.

The team's small because he has no idea what will come of the project so if it goes sour, no one's losing their jobs.  A small team is much easier to manage financially and creatively and it is at that point when they can see if this project has wings.  There's no guarantee of anything if they dedicate a huge team to it, especially with its pedigree.  

Great idea that they're starting small, but don't be all snobby about it.

#11 Posted by DeviantJoker (398 posts) -
@DrDarkStryfe said:
" I am just glad they acknowledge its existence. "
Acknowledgement is always nice for those of us gnawing to know there's still hope. Oh silly hope.
#12 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Bummer, oh well that's what I expected anyway while laughing at some of my friends who were actually crying because they thought it wasn't gonna happen. Fucking morons

#13 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -

Still haven't played the first one but I really want this to come out so I can try it.

#14 Posted by RE_Player1 (7526 posts) -

Why tease it than over a year ago? Now people are going to be so hyped for this game it might fail. Why can't game companies announce a game at E3 and than release it that year. Ya ya I know they have to market it so take the entire summer to market it. Seriously I'm sick of developers showing trailers, cg trailers not even in game, and saying " See ya in 3 years". 

#15 Posted by Brendan (8127 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
"I get excited whenever this game is brought up. Makes me wish people would stop bringing it up until it's potential for existence got a little more tangible.  ...also, all of this will just serve to make it that much more disappointing when it's finally released and turns out to be "just okay". "

Future Giantbomb 3 star review forthcoming?
#16 Posted by Wandrecanada (415 posts) -

When he says 3D I hope he means polygons and not glasses.

#17 Posted by ch3burashka (5244 posts) -

I'm glad that it's at least being acknowledged as alive. They better explain the ending of that game...

#18 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -
@Tuffgong: So you're talking about a Frenchman, and you don't expect art-snobbery by default?
#19 Posted by BaconGames (3574 posts) -
@Scrawnto said:
" @Tuffgong: So you're talking about a Frenchman, and you don't expect art-snobbery by default? "
Goddamnit you're right.
#20 Posted by spartan1017 (222 posts) -

games with souls, finally!!!!

#21 Posted by Binman88 (3690 posts) -

Weird. They're trying to keep an Ubisoft game from getting too commercial? That doesn't sound right.

#22 Posted by artofwar420 (6311 posts) -

It's not canned so that's great news. I try to stay positive.

#23 Edited by CookieMonster (2448 posts) -

Why does this game have to be in 3D? Just why? I despise 3D, I hope this game is good enough to change my mind, or they mean 3D in another sense.

#24 Posted by ThePilgrums (433 posts) -
@luce said: 

" noooooooo "

What do you mean "nooooo"? The last we heard it was possibly cancelled. At least we know he still wants to make it and it's still an open project. That's good news if you ask me. If it takes another 3 years, so be it. At least it still has a chance of being made.

#25 Posted by Cheetoman (114 posts) -

I think I might buy the first one on steam. 

#26 Edited by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -
@Cheetoman said:

" I think I might buy the first one on steam.  "

It's a good game, but it's starting to get overhyped and I think it's going to turn some people off once they play it after all that's been said.  It was an above average action-adventure with some great art direction and a unique take on a rather rote "chosen one" storyline.  Playing it several years later I think it would feel somewhat derivative with all the Jak, Ratchet, and Sly games that came after it.

If that footage that showed up a while back was real, the game looks like it was going in a very Assassin's Creed style of parkour gameplay, something that's already become a little tired.  So maybe he wants to see how the current tastes change to see if it will still be worth doing.

Frankly, the original ended with a great way to leave it, so a sequel doesn't need to be made.  Just like the Matrix.
#27 Posted by ThePhilatron (257 posts) -

Very pleasing and yet very disheartening.

#28 Posted by TheYear20XX (426 posts) -

Just happy to finally hear something concrete on the game's status, and that it hasn't been canned.

#29 Posted by Shimakaze (166 posts) -

Yay!!!!! BG&E2 is still on!!!!!

#30 Posted by RipAndTear (125 posts) -

I'll wait for you,  Pey'j.

#31 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@CookieMonster said:
"Why does this game have to be in 3D? Just why? I despise 3D, I hope this game is good enough to change my mind, or they mean 3D in another sense. "

They mean 3D like any modern game with a 3D engine, not like, 3D as in puttin on glasses or 3DS.
#32 Posted by demontium (4710 posts) -

This will launch in tandem with Duke Nukem: Forever.

#33 Edited by darkjester74 (1597 posts) -
@demontium said:

" This will launch in tandem with Duke Nukem: Forever. "

And Half Life 2 Episode 3.  

Ubi sez:  "to preserve creativity and so the game doesn't become a commercial product; so that it has a soul."

Oh so its free?
#34 Posted by Winternet (8053 posts) -

Why on earth does BG&E 2 have to have a soul? Couldn't it be like everyone else and come out before the end of this fiscal year?

#35 Edited by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

Team Fortress 2 took nine years.
Alan Wake took five years. 
Too Human took three to eight years.
Duke Nukem Forever took.. forever.
Valve takes their sweet Valve time

Rome wasn't coded in a day, and neither was Alpha Protocol. It doesn't matter how long a game takes to make, or polish, it will be good or bad on its own merits; stay relevant and engaging or not on its own merits.  If a publisher sees the support in the community, they will want to get it out the door eventually, and then the sales numbers boil down to the release window competition. But sales numbers don't count much toward grabbing people's hearts and minds.

#36 Posted by sfighter21 (798 posts) -

So, is the first one any good?

#37 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Unless this game gets really, really, really awful reviews, I will buy the shit out of it. 

Please don't suck.

#38 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

Calling out Ubisoft Montreal?

#39 Posted by Vonocourt (2164 posts) -

Michel Ancel is telling me to have what now? 

I wish they would divulge at least a little bit of info about the gameplay, so we could know what type of game it actually is.

#40 Posted by Sjupp (1911 posts) -
@spartan1017 said:
" games with souls, finally!!!! "
But where the hell do they get them from? I suspect the.. deals, is taking time. Lot of chanting and lit candles.
#41 Posted by RagingLion (1368 posts) -

Good to know.  Knowing these things means I can stay patient for quite a long time, though my hype capacity for the game has increased.

#42 Posted by TheMoD (123 posts) -

Oh man actually I'm really happy about this news. Not only is the game still in development, but it's being developed by a small team so that it doesn't loose its personality.  I think that's awesome, having waited this long I really don't mind another year or 2
#43 Edited by Tomeh (66 posts) -

Damn !

But it's a lot better than releasing a bad BG&E2

#44 Posted by darianw (36 posts) -

Here's hoping it's released... someday.

#45 Posted by Mouth (138 posts) -

Damn...but I will have patience Mr Ancel. In the meantime, I'll go back and replay BG&E.
#46 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Fine by me. I still fear Ubisoft will can it any month.

#47 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

At least they are still working on it. Many people thought they had scraped it.

#48 Posted by jakob187 (21757 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:
" @CookieMonster said:
"Why does this game have to be in 3D? Just why? I despise 3D, I hope this game is good enough to change my mind, or they mean 3D in another sense. "
They mean 3D like any modern game with a 3D engine, not like, 3D as in puttin on glasses or 3DS. "
Bingo.  Even then, who's to say that they won't have some form of 3D setup with the game by that point?  If the tech is there, they could implement it more efficiently than most of the games that are hitting with it nowadays...I would assume.
#49 Posted by Toug (333 posts) -

As far as reasons for this game not being out go, "Not selling out to the man" is at least a somewhat acceptable one.

#50 Posted by JB16 (745 posts) -

It looks like this will launch in 2020 with Duke Nukem Forever and Half Life 2: Episode 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.