I love that David Cage showed us a gameplay trailer.

#1 Posted by verticalstripes (33 posts) -

I expect the game will have exactly as much gameplay as the trailer, so I'm glad they represented that in the premier video.

#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@verticalstripes said:

I expect the game will have exactly as much gameplay as the trailer, so I'm glad they represented that in the premier video.

Probably is true but its a David Cage game. I'm excited by it, looks rad.

#3 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1197 posts) -

You're so witty and clever

#4 Posted by verticalstripes (33 posts) -
@TheVeteran13 said:

You're so witty and clever

Thank you!
#5 Posted by Demoskinos (14512 posts) -

I can't wait to count all of the plot holes and badly written "emotional" sequences. Ah, memories of Heavy Rain.

#6 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

This warranted a thread?

#7 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Haha....Ha...Eeeeeeeeeh.

#8 Posted by familyphotoshoot (652 posts) -

If there's not French child voice actors doing a terrible job trying to sound American, then I'm not interested

#9 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Anwar said:

You got David Cage really good, everybody knows that he's an avid reader of threads on Giant Bomb.

Nice try, David Cage.

#10 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -

BALD ELLEN PAGE <3

#11 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

I really like that trailer.

#12 Posted by Nilazz (606 posts) -

If feel there is a lack of Jason in this thread.

#13 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

@Nilazz said:

If feel there is a lack of Jason in this thread.

JAAAAAASOOOOOOOOON!

There ya go buddy :)

#14 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

David Cage is the real Don Bluth of 2012!

REVOLUTIONARY

#15 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I can't wait to count all of the plot holes and badly written "emotional" sequences. Ah, memories of Heavy Rain.

Heavy Rain was awesome.

#16 Posted by xyzygy (9867 posts) -

David Cage is the ultimate pretentious developer. I'd hardly call what he makes games, they're just great looking yet badly implemented cinematics with random button presses. His modus operandi is all style and no substance. Sorry, but I want to play games, not watch an overly long and boring movie starring Ellen Page, one of the most annoying actresses I can think of.

(You'd think I'd give her some support seeing as I live in the city where she's from... but she's still super annoying.)

#17 Posted by CottonWolf (88 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx: Yeah. It seems that everyone hates it, but I thought it was really interesting.

#18 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4247 posts) -

I don't give a fuck. I'm in love with Ellen Paige and I enjoyed Heavy Rain. There could be 30 seconds of gameplay on that disc and I'd still buy it.

#19 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Those characters looked creepy, not uncanny valley creepy, just stupid creepy.

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Demoskinos said:

Heavy Rain was awesome.

The reveal of the killer was pretty stupid though, I was in control of the character at that time and I never saw him do that to the old dude in the shop.
#20 Posted by Baillie (4026 posts) -

Fahrenheit is easily one of my favourite games, ever. Heavy rain was a pretty solid story. I can't wait.

#21 Posted by senorfuzzeh (385 posts) -

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Demoskinos said:

Heavy Rain was awesome.

Indeed it was my good man. Indeed it was.

#22 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

game looks interesting, but if it ends up having as bad writing and voice acting as heavy rain did, I'm not going to waste my time with it to end up just being extremely disappointed. That and heavy rain just had some unpolished, sometimes just awful looking scenes that alone were enough to ruin it for me. Hopefully they learned a lot from those missteps, but hell maybe they don't think they were missteps.

#23 Posted by DonutFever (3548 posts) -

GOOD ONE DOOD

#24 Posted by wemibelec90 (1494 posts) -

Did he say gameplay or did he say "in engine"? I don't remember.

#25 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1798 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said@Demoskinos said:

Heavy Rain was awesome.

The reveal of the killer was pretty stupid though, I was in control of the character at that time and I never saw him do that to the old dude in the shop.
but you cant say it wasnt terrifying having a giant fat cop chase you through a junkyard
#26 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

The thing about heavy Rain was that it was fine when you were playing it, its only when you finish the game where it goes off the rails, like some one wrote a great script, then about one third way through some one threw up on it, ripped it up, threw out half of it, then glued it back together again.

#27 Posted by AlexW00d (6167 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

If there's not French child voice actors doing a terrible job trying to sound American, then I'm not interested

At least they weren't as bad as the American VA Crystal Dynamics got in to do Lara. I didn't realise Lara was Australian.

#28 Posted by Special_K (102 posts) -

When he revealed Ellen Page as the main character my interest went way up. Not so much because I'm a fan of her in particular, but because she won't have a horrible american accent. Though as I'm thinking about it, if she intentionally did a bad accent that would be awesome. "I can't makethatjump!"

#29 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2114 posts) -

@CottonWolf said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx: Yeah. It seems that everyone hates it, but I thought it was really interesting.

I don't think people hate the game so much as they hate when people try to hold it up as a shining example of storytelling when they story only works if you don't ever think about it.

And the voice acting was fucking atrocious.

#30 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@Demoskinos said:

Heavy Rain was awesome.

No you weren't, the scene cuts to hooker who lost her son looking at random clock like items. You weren't in control when he killed the clock store owner.

#31 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

The thing about heavy Rain was that it was fine when you were playing it, its only when you finish the game where it goes off the rails, like some one wrote a great script, then about one third way through some one threw up on it, ripped it up, threw out half of it, then glued it back together again.

Yeah I really like the game but some of it falls apart once everything is done.

Like cutting away when the killer killed the guy in the shop. Or how there were around 20 dudes you meet as Jayden and Paige that could be the killer but aren't but are super creepy. Also the blacking out, but thats not a huge deal. If only Lauren (I think thats her name) was also playable so it wouldn't make the clock shop scene so awkward. The scene could still happen but it wouldn't be as contrived.

Also I never found the acting all that bad, but I just laugh off anything that seems strange.

I honestly wish more games would look at Heavy Rain as inspiration, the player can have quite an impact the way things will unfold.

#32 Posted by newslowsad (74 posts) -

Loved Heavy Rain even with its warts. Admired what it was aiming for. Definitely looking forward to following Beyond.

#33 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -

I usually manage to stop myself before I post threads that make me look like a bit of prick.

#34 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

@verticalstripes said:

I can't believe your smack talking a David Cage game when he probably has more posts on this site than you do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.