Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beyond: Two Souls

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

An interactive supernatural thriller from the studio behind Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. It tells the story of Jodie Holmes, a girl with mysterious psychokinetic abilities.

What are your expectations for this game?

• 98 results
    I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

So I've kind of been on the fence about this game, I really enjoyed my time with Heavy Rain and played it multiple times even including a second playthrough with move support. Beyond: TS I'm really really unsure what this game is suppose to be. Is it suppose to be similar to Heavy Rain? Is it a story interactive adventure game with different scenarios and endings like in other Quantic Dream games or what. I'm wondering for those who pre-ordered the game was there any one thing that sold you on this game or are you just hoping for something similar to the previous Quantic Dream games? This game to me seems like the one last game of this current generation worth looking into, just not sure whether to grab it or not till at least a quick look or review is up.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Last one? Sony supports consoles long after the next generation comes along. Hell, the PS2 is still getting games(even though it's just Fifa14) and had one of the best games 1-2 years into the life of the PS3.

But I digress. The game is supposed to be more interactive than Heavy Rain(The less 'Press X to Jason' the better) and take place during multiple periods of the MC's life. I'd say it's at least worth taking a look at, but I agree with your argument of holding off until a review comes up. You never know if the game is a blunder or not(see: Dragon Age 2, The Bureau etc.) Also: Never pre-order a game.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably good but wait until the price goes down.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I expect Whatserface to give a solid performance, but I also expect a lot of French and assorted European accents throughout. Thus, it would take me right out of the game, if I bothered to play it.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm expecting a lot of emotional polygons because polygons are the key to emotions in games and also a lot of nonsense because it's a David Cage game and reinforced by the fact Willem Dafoe is in it.

All i really what is for it to be a more functional version of Heavy Rain with a more focused story. I'll trade a bit less freedom to truly influence the story itself for fewer plot holes.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm expecting it to be hokey in the way quantic dream games are (which I like) and I'm expecting the gameplay to be more indepth than heavy rain, but still in service of solidifying the narrative. I'm not sure of how it will be reviewed, and honestly don't care. I'm excited for it and will (probably) get it day 1. If anything, at least it will be something different amongst the sameness of the AAA landscape.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Probably going to watch it on youtube. I got no intentions of buying the game at all, looks more like a interactive movie like Heavy Rain.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@pr1mus said:

I'm expecting a lot of emotional polygons because polygons are the key to emotions in games and also a lot of nonsense because it's a David Cage game and reinforced by the fact Willem Dafoe is in it.

All i really what is for it to be a more functional version of Heavy Rain with a more focused story. I'll trade a bit less freedom to truly influence the story itself for fewer plot holes.

Yeah, the presentation of Heavy Rain as OK, but the story itself completely falls apart. Though, given the size of David Cage's ego, I'm not entirely sure that's a lesson he learned. At least Heavy Rain didn't devolve into Space Mayans hacking the Matrix or whatever the hell it was Indigo Prophecy became.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never seen David cage be egotistical in interviews. Unless you think calling out the industry for its extreme shortcomings egotistical? Can someone provide an example?

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zaccheus

I pre-ordered it and try to avoid any information about it. It might be a emotional if broken Heavy Rain or complete madness like Fahrenheit. I'm happy either way.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never seen David cage be egotistical in interviews. Unless you think calling out the industry for its extreme shortcomings egotistical? Can someone provide an example?

If by "calling out industry shortcomings" you mean "harboring the traits of a messiah complex," then sure. Cage doesn't seem to recognize or acknowledge the flaws in his game design preferences, nor the hypocrisy in his own philosophy. He is a man self-assured in the notion that he knows what's ailing the industry and that games like Heavy Rain are a revolution.

Heavy Rain is entertaining, but far from a revolution. It is heavily flawed interactive fiction in terms of its writing and mechanics. Cage essentially created a poorly written visual novel.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sure it won't be perfect (in fact if Heavy Rain is anything to go by it will be riddled with flaws) but I will definitely play it. I would much rather see someone try something interesting and new but fail than churn out the same cookie-cutter stuff the industry is full of. I know what shooters play like thanks, don't bother unless it is sensational.

Heavy Rain had so much wrong with it but I was gripped to the end, just because I honestly didn't know what was coming next which is not something that can be said about a lot of games. The sad thing (for David Cage at least) is that The Walking Dead did what he is trying to do way more effectively than he ever has. It showed that building empathy and emotion comes from good writing, story and acting, qualities Heavy Rain sadly lacked. Hopefully he is taking a bit more care of those areas this time.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm expecting that whatever the result is, I probably don't want to play it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: where in that article does it prove he has a messiah complex. There are 2 quotes from him, one saying most video games are targeted at teenagers and are meaningless experiences (true) and we need to look past standard video game conventions and help the medium move forward. No where does he say he is the fix for the industries ailments or that he is the leader of a revolution; the writer of the article says those things

If you actually watch him speak and see what he has to say, you'll see a knowledgeable person who believes in their work. Or maybe not, I don't really care. People love to vilify those who try different things and there's no use arguing about it. I'll just leave you with this video and end it there

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/09/28/david-cage-talks-about-ps4

(Maybe its the french accent? I kid, of course )

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Low, very, very low expectations. Even then, I suspect I'm going to be let down. I'd rather watch a movie than play one.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: where in that article does it prove he has a messiah complex. There are 2 quotes from him, one saying most video games are targeted at teenagers and are meaningless experiences (true) and we need to look past standard video game conventions and help the medium move forward. No where does he say he is the fix for the industries ailments or that he is the leader of a revolution; the writer of the article says those things

If you actually watch him speak and see what he has to say, you'll see a knowledgeable person who believes in their work. Or maybe not, I don't really care. People love to vilify those who try different things and there's no use arguing about it. I'll just leave you with this video and end it there

Whoa this is the first time I've heard of this hate, just thought the hate came cause he was French. Way out of the loop here I guess.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really liked Heavy Rain and what I've seen of this looks much, much better then Heavy Rain. So I'm pretty excited to play this.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: yeah, people think he's got a huge ego because he believes in what he does, and people make up things about him to feed into the hate. Sure, he has given some boring keynote speeches and has a French accent, but I don't think he's full of himself in the way people make him out to be. To me, his perspective is insightful, especially when he talks about his fear for next gen

David

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By David

I'm guessing it might be my favourite game of the year considering I really loved Heavy Rain despite some of it's shortcomings.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will wait for reviews for this game.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chrissedoff

I'm expecting it to have major story problems. Both Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain had insane stories that stretched credulity and were full of red herrings, had totally unearned plot twists and pointless sequences that did nothing to advance the plot and were there only to prevent the game from being four hours long.

I expect the gameplay and controls to be an improvement on Heavy Rain because Heavy Rain was an improvement of Indigo Prophecy. However, I don't expect it to be an especially fun game to play. It'll still lean heavily on storytelling over a good sense of interactivity.

I expect the game to get really good reviews because a lot of video game critics believe that Quantic Dream's games are a step up for video game storytelling (wrongly, in my opinion). Though that might have been more true in '09 before the glut of really, really good indie games really got underway. Also, it's a Sony-published game and I tend to think that the reviews for Sony's games are always inflated (Killzone, for example).

I expect that I will show the restraint not to fall for another Quantic Dream game and avoid feeling betrayed this time.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd like the plot to not fucking suck.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think it's either going to be good enough that I want to see it for myself, or it's going to be bad enough that I want to see it for myself (at a lower price).

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game will be very strong in the story and characters and of course be visually stunning but I'm unsure about how the game will play and what kind of freedom there is or even how long the game will be. I will still pick this one up as I'm still very interested in it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I see is someone that comes across as the French equivalent of Peter Molyneux. Grand ideas and vision, loves to talk up their game to an insane degree, and then fails to execute.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emotions. Lots of emotions.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

David Cage doing his thing and Ellen page. Hopefully the latter makes up for the former.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@naru_joe93 said:

If by "calling out industry shortcomings" you mean "harboring the traits of a messiah complex," then sure. Cage doesn't seem to recognize or acknowledge the flaws in his game design preferences, nor the hypocrisy in his own philosophy. He is a man self-assured in the notion that he knows what's ailing the industry and that games like Heavy Rain are a revolution.

Heavy Rain is entertaining, but far from a revolution. It is heavily flawed interactive fiction in terms of its writing and mechanics. Cage essentially created a poorly written visual novel.

I would even take it a bit further, and say that Cage's games are an actively negative influence on games overcoming those shortcomings. What we have with Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain, are a pair of games that strip out gameplay in large part to service the storytelling in a pair of games that are worse, narrative speaking, than your bog standard angry war guy shooter. And that's, presumably, an example that other games are supposed to follow. The message that sends to me is 'keep writing terrible scripts. Just take out even more gameplay.'

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshthebear

Heavy Rain 2.0

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RonGalaxy

@hailinel: his game is being funded by sony; of course he has to talk up his games to the press. Have you ever seen a behind the scenes trailer for a game before? They ALWAYS have devs using press-speak to talk up how revolutionary their game will be, and it's because that attracts the proles (according to publishers).

Example: Ken Levine, the interviewee, is a different person from Ken Levine the developer. Same goes for cage. Its just something prolific devs have to do to appease the people bank rolling their project

I mean, the dude hasn't used his twitter since April of last year. I know it might not make sense, but that's really telling of what kind of Dev he is (hint, peter molyneux is decently prolific on twitter AND he fucking guest commentates for ign from time to time). You can have your opinion of his writing, but he has never once lied or overestimated what his games are. Molyneuxs games are, flat out, different from conception to actual product. David Cage makes interactive dramas, and he has never claimed to do more.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#31  Edited By StarvingGamer

I expect it to be one of the 10+ games better than Brothers to come out this year.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

needs more it turns out he's dead and has mystical powers

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

French accents.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Less plot holes, hopefully.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By mracoon

Played it today at Eurogamer and I left surprisingly impressed. The problem I had with Heavy Rain was that it tried to have a realistic and super serious story but incorporated a lot of ridiculous and over-the-top QTE sequences. Beyond doesn't suffer from that as from the start it introduces psychic powers and so when crazy stuff happens it makes more sense in the world. The psychic stuff is kind of cool because it's considered a separate entity (called Aiden) to Jodie (Ellen Page's character) and when you start messing with stuff you're not supposed to you can hear Jodie telling you to stop.

It also does away with another of Heavy Rain's big problems which were the QTE button prompts. It still has some of them but instead whenever Jodie makes an action like punching or kicking the game slows down and you have to move the right stick in the direction of her action. It's a bit silly because Jodie has to make dramatic motions so you don't get confused which direction she's moving in but it means you get more cinematic sequences, which David Cage loves, and you can actually follow the action instead of looking for button prompts.

In the end I expect the story to become really dumb like most other Quantic Dream games but, as it's already starting from a point of unreality, unlike Fahrenheit or Heavy Rain, I'm more ok with it going off the deep end. Also, Quantic Dream continue to have some of the best looking face tech in games.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@david: Your nickame has exposed you, David Cage.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Played the demo and loved it. Heavy Rain is probably my favorite PS3 game, but I wasn't expecting much out of it after E3. After playing the demo, I'm completely sold. Just have to know what you're in for.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SlashDance

Hopefully it's more like The Walking Dead and less like Heavy Rain, but even with bad writing and gaping plot holes I'll probably enjoy it because we don't get many games like that.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By onyxghost

Absolute zero. The advertising has been kinda all over. Just waiting to see on this one, maybe it's amazing, maybe it's hot garbage.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

It's from David Cage, and after Heavy Rain and Inigo Prophecy my only expectation is that this game will continue the trend of being shit. There are very few games I can say I actually hate, but Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy definitely make that list.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I loved Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) but didn't care for Heavy Rain at all. My expectations are pretty low but hey I'm happy to be surprised. I can't say I agree with anything that comes out of David Cages mouth but atleast his games are unique.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: his game is being funded by sony; of course he has to talk up his games to the press. Have you ever seen a behind the scenes trailer for a game before? They ALWAYS have devs using press-speak to talk up how revolutionary their game will be, and it's because that attracts the proles (according to publishers).

Example: Ken Levine, the interviewee, is a different person from Ken Levine the developer. Same goes for cage. Its just something prolific devs have to do to appease the people bank rolling their project

I mean, the dude hasn't used his twitter since April of last year. I know it might not make sense, but that's really telling of what kind of Dev he is (hint, peter molyneux is decently prolific on twitter AND he fucking guest commentates for ign from time to time). You can have your opinion of his writing, but he has never once lied or overestimated what his games are. Molyneuxs games are, flat out, different from conception to actual product. David Cage makes interactive dramas, and he has never claimed to do more.

You glossed over something, only labeling it as "true" without elaboration:

“With most games and the designs we as an industry offer, we clearly target teenagers. Most games are based on violence and/or physical actions,” Cage said at his GDC panel. “These two activities are what you do in most video games out there. The consequence of all this is that video games become — most of the time — meaningless.”

This isn't Cage speaking a profound truth. This is him deeming the media he has chosen to work in beneath him by classifying it as meaningless under the assumption that his own work is somehow more meaningful.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered it and I have nooo fucking clue what to expect. All I'm sure is, I'm playing that game.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The demo I got of Facebook is really fun. A little disconnect as the ghost killin dudes while other dudes stand around but that's fine. I had a really good time.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Hunter5024

Despite most of the criticisms people throw at the game being true, and despite having a few deep flaws, I really loved Heavy Rain when it came out. I even got a platinum in it. The farther I get from the release of that game however, the less I like it, and the more I see about Beyond, the less I want to play it, even though I was initially really interested. Honestly, it just looks all over the place. I don't expect it to be very good, though I am tentatively interested in seeing some peoples opinions of it, because if they're generally positive I'm totally willing to give this game a shot.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Despite liking Heavy Rain a lot, I'm still taking a 'wait and see' approach with Beyond. I was not expecting the whole CIA Agent Ellen Page middle-eastern commando thing, and that deflated a lot of the initial excitement I had for it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

I was not expecting the whole CIA Agent Ellen Page middle-eastern commando thing, and that deflated a lot of the initial excitement I had for it.

O_o

OK, I hadn't been reading up on the game at all recently, but what?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By tourgen

I expect a mostly linear plot line with some heavy-handed FEEL THE EMOTIONS, and maybe, if we're lucky, some non-trivial gameplay interactions. I'll check it out when it's $20.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#49  Edited By Yummylee
    @hailinel said:

@yummylee said:

I was not expecting the whole CIA Agent Ellen Page middle-eastern commando thing, and that deflated a lot of the initial excitement I had for it.

O_o

OK, I hadn't been reading up on the game at all recently, but what?

Loading Video...

Though I was mistaken; it's set in Africa, not the Middle-East. Still, it's a turn I didn't expect from a game like this.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something at least interesting, I expect lots of rough edges going in but I usually still enjoy them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.