Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Beyond: Two Souls

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 08, 2013

An interactive supernatural thriller from the studio behind Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. It tells the story of Jodie Holmes, a girl with mysterious psychokinetic abilities.

Who is still interested in these David Cage games?

• 122 results
    korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Me, because while he doesn't always succeed he's trying to do something against the norm in the industry.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm still interested, but I'll stick to never buying any of them. Heavy Rain was terrible for the exact reasons you mentioned in the OP, and I have absolutely no faith that he will ever do better. But they are still unique and interesting games, so I'll stick around and see what happens from an academic standpoint.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@phantomzxro: I stated that IP had promise as a good murder mystery before it flew off the handles.

As for the decisions in Heavy Rain that changed the ending, they only changed in inconsistent ways. For example: When Ethan is the only one to make it to the warehouse, Shelby lets him walk away with Shaun to be shot down by police (By the way, that would NEVER happen in reality). But when more than one person gets to the warehouse, Shelby pulls a gun on Ethan, just to create drama without any reason behind it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm not sure if I'll play Beyond. I doubt I will. Indigo Prophecy was pretty cool (even the oft-lamented twist that was so batshit insane one must applaud it), Heavy Rain was great up until it ate its own ass with the killer's reveal, and this looks to have an intriguing premise. Or did. I was sold on it before I caught wind of the FBI/military shenanigans. That seems to be a problem with Cage, actually. He tries to stuff his games with too much shit instead of focusing on the few good ideas he has. Or had. Whichever.

Also Ellen Page is in it. She's really hit or miss.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People have different opinions and different tastes. Shocking.

I love all of David Cage's game even though they are flawed.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Telltale is one word. That's all I have to add to this conversation. I'm interested in reading Alex's review.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Hayt

What a crazy question. People play games because they enjoy them, you may not enjoy them and that's fine. I don't like mushrooms, they are objectively slimey and that bothers me more than millions of other people but I'm not going to start a thread on taste.com.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#109  Edited By Little_Socrates

I enjoyed Heavy Rain enough that I have interest in Beyond: Two Souls, which has a more interesting premise and is a more impressive technical feat.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I'm not sure if I'll pick up Beyond, but I liked Heavy Rain. The game has some big problems, but also some amazing and memorable moments.

AMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Heavy Rain due to its novel structure/gameplay and that's why I continued to play it. Yes the dialogue, voice acting and scenarios are hokey but I did enjoy it. There were some genuinely interesting moments in the game or character interactions. I'm interested in Two Souls for the same reason. It won't be fine art, or even a great game but its novel.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll buy Beyond. To me, Heavy Rain was an interesting experiment with the medium known as "games." Do experiments always work? No. Does it mean that any future attempts should be cancelled? No. Part of the fun for me is to play through those kinds of games and see how they try to mix-n-mesh with the formula. Be it a good experience or a bad one, if the game was made with good intentions to try something new (Please note that I'm not referring to games that try to survive solely on a gimmick, but games that actually try to blend the line between "game" and "movie/book/TV show" a la TellTale's The Walking Dead), I would play it. Worst case scenario, as Thomas Edison was said about his attempts to successfully create a light bulb: "I haven't failed 200 times, I just found 200 ways how not a create a light bulb"

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By MudMan

I am.

I also wish this gang of hardcore gamers would stop mixing up his issues as a storyteller with whether or not the design he's come up with to do that storytelling is any good. People tend to go for the "they're not even games, just crappy movies" angle, which gets really confusing for everybody when something like The Walking Dead comes along and uses the same toolset to do something amazing.

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling:

David Cage intended Heavy Rain to have a supernatural element linked with the folded paper pieces and black-outs. But they got completely scrapped and thrown into the bin. Hence why alot of the story isn't explained and cleared up.

So in a way, if they let him, Heavy Rain might have been a similar story to Indigo Prophecy. So I expect Beyond will also have this ridiculous non-realistic edge to it.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Cage comes off like a bit of a douche and the writing in his games is rather poor but I'm interested and will play Beyond Two Souls

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

David Cage is a failure of game design.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By deathbyyeti

The man who complains about games and wants to make movies, writes some of the worst stories I have taken part in and he would be laughed out of making movies

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a industry of carbon copies, David Cage is an open window of fresh air.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#120  Edited By Zurv

i'm done with his "games" - 1) they aren't games.. 2) you can tell the ppl writing the story think the story is MUCH better than it really is. they need to take whatever it is up their ass...

that said.. i remember liking omikron.. but that was a long time ago

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think David Cage could do something pretty spectacular given a professional script writer to look over his scripts. The world he builds and the ideas he have are often pretty good and the graphical presentation are often spectacular. But he just doesn't quite know how to piece together a story to save his life. But if he could be the creative with the ideas and someone else helps him piece together the puzzle, that would be great.

That being said, I support his brand of crazy either way. As he brings something else to the table.

The man who complains about games and wants to make movies, writes some of the worst stories I have taken part in and he would be laughed out of making movies

You say that as if there's not an ocean of shit in the movie industry making David Cage's stories seem like Academy Award material.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By chrissedoff

@pezen: Almost all movies are much tighter and more cohesive than Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain. Even really bad ones.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought Indigo Prophecy was unplayable due to the controls at times, but I like Cage's work on everything after that. People call his writing terrible, but to me it's on par with or exceeds most games out there. Walking Dead had plenty of cheese in it and I lol hard at anyone who would compare the writing, voice work, and physical performances of QD against AAA content like Call of Duty, Gears of War, Tomb Raider, and all but the creme de la creme and say QD titles are the ones that come up short. It may not rival $10M per episode House of Cards or shows that went down in history as like the Top 25 TV series ever made, but no game is and it's lame imo to try and single out QD like they're the only ones failing while every other game is easily handling it.

Anyways, Quantic Dream is one of the only companies that even seems remotely interested in making these types of interactive experiences. Of the few willing to work in that genre, nobody is coming anywhere close to matching them on technical expertise and visual fidelity. The others either aren't trying or can't get anyone to finance it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'll play the next one. Beyond was pretty awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.