Binary Domain is looking interesting.

#1 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

Throw Binary Domain into the pile of most likely bad games that I'm very interested in, along with Cursed Crusade and Silent Hill Downpour. This video is what got me interested in the game. It looks very Mass Effect/Alpha Protocol-ish. It's made by the Yakuza team at Sega and I love those games, but that has nothing to do with this. I  always seem to enjoy odd B-list games.

#2 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Every time I see a bit of this game, I get more interested. Thanks for the reminder of this game's existence.

#3 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

Sounds like the game will hinge upon the intelligence of its AI and it's story. I don't have much faith in either.

The concept of having decisions and consequences being directly integrated into the combat mechanics is very intriguing though. If done correctly, it would make the game's experience feel very fluid, rather than Mass Effect's/Alpha Protocol's structure of Combat --> Decision --> Combat --> Consequence --> Repeat.

#4 Posted by Dport (102 posts) -

I think the voice acting in this game will be it's downfall. That trailer does nothing to sell it tom me.

#5 Posted by Capt_Ventris (592 posts) -

I like the setting they are going for.

Future Japanese robot apocalypse is always an interesting thematic idea to play with

#6 Edited by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

I've followed this a bit, some of the voice work is ridiculous but I think it could be fun in a "so bad it's good" sorta way. I'm really fond of the theme of robots versus humans, where the robots aren't merely mindless killing machines but more of an oppressed minority. They have dreams and feelings in the same way that humans do. In short they are relatable.

My original guess for a twist was that one of your teammates turned out to be a robot, Alien 4 style, but it seems like there's already a robot team member so that's probably unlikely now.

As for the trailer, I don't buy into the hype of having consequences of your gameplay performance affect the story, that's not how modern games are built. I expect you to pretty easily be able to gind "like" points with your team mates at one point or another so that by the end everybody loves you.

#7 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

@Dport said:

I think the voice acting in this game will be it's downfall. That trailer does nothing to sell it tom me.

Yeah, that was cringeworthy.

#8 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@kingzetta said:

Throw Binary Domain into the pile of most likely bad games that I'm very interested in, along with Cursed Crusade and Silent Hill Downpour. This video is what got me interested in the game. It looks very Mass Effect/Alpha Protocol-ish. It's made by the Yakuza team at Sega and I love those games, but that has nothing to do with this. I  always seem to enjoy odd B-list games.

Your right me from three months ago.
#9 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

Parts of that seem pretty awesome and novel, but I was lol'ing hard all throughout at some of the reactions. This will be awesome if friendly fire can be turned on or there is a way to purposefully murder your squadmates.

#10 Posted by StrawHatLaw13 (166 posts) -

I was hoping for some co-op but w/ this system it's not likely. But I do like it, it's reminding me of Freedom Fighters. I will definitely try this out.

#11 Posted by CornBREDX (5095 posts) -

I know this is old but first I've seen this. 
Idea has merit, but it hinges a lot on AI, and that is always sketchy. They're betting a lot on this consequence system, but if it becomes annoying or get in the way of game play the whole thing falls apart. That's a thin line so I'll be interested to see if it can even be pulled off in a playable way. 

My biggest worry (granted this is probably really early game play being shown here) is these combat scenarios look really badly arena like (much like Mind Jack was). That would be a damn shame if that is the case. 

I found it amusing the robots crumble like glass. Also the acting is pretty great haha. 
I don't know, could be good. I don't mind me some B games as long as they have something to latch onto and the game play is not tedious.

#12 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

the whole consequence thing is probably gonna be one of those things that sounds great on paper, but when you see how it actually works, it's really stupid.

#13 Posted by Enigma777 (6071 posts) -

My penzor remains flaccid.

#14 Posted by Eveready (4 posts) -

The consequence system sounds like it will get annoying as hell especially with that bad voice acting and bad dialogue

#15 Posted by Encephalon (1241 posts) -

At first I thought "I have no interest in a Japanese shooter that plays it straight, I want the crazy." Then I heard the robot with a shitty French accent and thought "Okay, Binary Domain. I'm listening."

Also is that Laura Bailey attempting some sort of ethnic accent? Cause that's pretty bad.

#16 Posted by nomorehalfmeasuresdoctor (143 posts) -

I wasn't interested in the game until I saw this trailer.

I've never played any of the Yakuza games so I don't know what to expect from the team making this game. I can only hope they achieve that right tone/balance of specific humour mixed in with the undeniably dramatic moments that mostly games from Japan seem to do for me. I hope that makes sense as it seems to be what they're going for.

#17 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@nomorehalfmeasures said:

I wasn't interested in the game until I saw this trailer.

I've never played any of the Yakuza games so I don't know what to expect from the team making this game. I can only hope they achieve that right tone/balance of specific humour mixed in with the undeniably dramatic moments that mostly games from Japan seem to do for me. I hope that makes sense as it seems to be what they're going for.

That trailer pretty much sold it for me. There was a demo at last years PAX that I played, tucked in a corner at the Sega booth.  

I remember being surprised at how solid the core mechanics were. The demo didn't show a bunch, but usually I get the impression that Japanese developers sometimes struggle a bit with the fundamentals of stop-and-pop. Granted, the track record of emulating is minor, with examples on opposite ends of the spectrum with quality.  
The demo stated it was supposedly at an early, rough state, but everything felt solid

So yeah, keeping an eye out on this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.