Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando Rearmed 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 01, 2011

Nathan "Rad" Spencer returns with the ability to jump and a snazzy moustache, in order to face an evil general bent on launching a missile strike.

Free Mustache Rides

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    No Caption Provided
    Nathan Spencer rocks a totally sweet mustache in the follow-up to Bionic Commando Rearmed. Though I pressed for an answer, I was unable to find out if the mustache is bionic, and if it is, which one of his relatives lives inside of it. I guess we can consider that a cliffhanger for now.

Fatshark, one of the many studios that has risen up out of now-defunct GRIN (which developed the previous game) is handling development duties this time around, and from the two-level demo I took in, the new team appears to be picking up right where the old one left off. That's goes right down to the music, which is again being handled by Simon Viklund. The soundtrack in the previous game was nothing short of amazing, and the music I heard seems to be right up there with that stuff.

But Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 is about more than just mustaches and music. Spencer will have new moves this time around, the most blasphemous of which is the ability to jump. Yeah, dude can jump. Conceptually, this is a pretty crazy addition to a 2D Bionic Commando game, as the entire franchise has been designed around the idea of using your arm to get around. That's still the case in BCR2, but the developers seem to be using the jump ability to add a bit more variety and challenge to the swinging. Now, you'll occasionally have to take a running jump off of a ledge to reach the next swing point. Also, while you're in the air you can execute a death from above ground pound that sends Rad crashing to the Earth, screaming all the way. When your bionic arm is connected to something, you'll also be able to push back and forth to gain speed and swing, even if you're currently just hanging around. Rad is able to duck into doors and acquire temporary upgrades, like a napalm launcher that brings hot burning death to those that stand in your path or an uppercut that's great for wasting fools that get too close.

One of the two levels I played was a boss fight against a weird piece of machinery that seemed to fit perfectly with all of the crazy contraptions Rad Spencer has taken on in the past. It, too, was armed with a napalm launcher, which made quick work of me time and time again. Capcom reps claimed that the game was currently a bit too difficult and in need of some tuning at some point in the future. That didn't make me feel any better about myself.

Bionic Commando Rearmed is one of the most impressive games that Capcom has released in the last few years, and it's awesome to see it getting a proper sequel, even if the full-fledged Bionic Commando sequel didn't exactly set the world on fire. Less awesome is the fact that it won't be released to any download services until 2011. Maybe that'll give Fatshark some time to build a better bionic facial hair system.    
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    No Caption Provided
    Nathan Spencer rocks a totally sweet mustache in the follow-up to Bionic Commando Rearmed. Though I pressed for an answer, I was unable to find out if the mustache is bionic, and if it is, which one of his relatives lives inside of it. I guess we can consider that a cliffhanger for now.

Fatshark, one of the many studios that has risen up out of now-defunct GRIN (which developed the previous game) is handling development duties this time around, and from the two-level demo I took in, the new team appears to be picking up right where the old one left off. That's goes right down to the music, which is again being handled by Simon Viklund. The soundtrack in the previous game was nothing short of amazing, and the music I heard seems to be right up there with that stuff.

But Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 is about more than just mustaches and music. Spencer will have new moves this time around, the most blasphemous of which is the ability to jump. Yeah, dude can jump. Conceptually, this is a pretty crazy addition to a 2D Bionic Commando game, as the entire franchise has been designed around the idea of using your arm to get around. That's still the case in BCR2, but the developers seem to be using the jump ability to add a bit more variety and challenge to the swinging. Now, you'll occasionally have to take a running jump off of a ledge to reach the next swing point. Also, while you're in the air you can execute a death from above ground pound that sends Rad crashing to the Earth, screaming all the way. When your bionic arm is connected to something, you'll also be able to push back and forth to gain speed and swing, even if you're currently just hanging around. Rad is able to duck into doors and acquire temporary upgrades, like a napalm launcher that brings hot burning death to those that stand in your path or an uppercut that's great for wasting fools that get too close.

One of the two levels I played was a boss fight against a weird piece of machinery that seemed to fit perfectly with all of the crazy contraptions Rad Spencer has taken on in the past. It, too, was armed with a napalm launcher, which made quick work of me time and time again. Capcom reps claimed that the game was currently a bit too difficult and in need of some tuning at some point in the future. That didn't make me feel any better about myself.

Bionic Commando Rearmed is one of the most impressive games that Capcom has released in the last few years, and it's awesome to see it getting a proper sequel, even if the full-fledged Bionic Commando sequel didn't exactly set the world on fire. Less awesome is the fact that it won't be released to any download services until 2011. Maybe that'll give Fatshark some time to build a better bionic facial hair system.    
    VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By VicRattlehead

boom

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By wrecks

Still one of the best xbla titles. Can't wait.

MartinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MartinG

Guaranteed purchase!

coonce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By coonce

No Caption Provided
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By skrutop

So then we'll be able to do a 2D version of Rico Rodriguez's physics-bitch-slapping grappling hook dive?

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Crono

2011!????? NOOOOOOOOOO!

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Tordah

I can't wait to get into some Bionic Mustache action!

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Parabole

Oh, well. I guess this will do until Bionic Commando 2.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#10  Edited By sjschmidt93

The 1st was one of the best games this gen... easily.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Yanngc33

Too-mmuch-news 
    NERDGASM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By dbz1995

Get SWERY in on mustachioed goodness.

Avatar image for mustacheride420
    mustacheride420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By mustacheride420

I, on the other hand, will keep charging 4.20$ for mustache rides.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By jacksukeru

Loved BC:R and loved BC, though didn't dig what the latter did too the story's and the characters. Hopefully they'll just forget BC ever happened and keep building on this BC:R-iverse for a while. (I bet they hope they could forget about BC.) 

I'm still gonna hope for that the series return to 3D at some point in the future, that swinging was too much fun to get abandoned as a gameplay idea just because of too small, too linear levels and some bad gameplay design.
    Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Quacktastic

Viklund was the real star of Rearmed.  The music is honestly my favorite part of the game.

TheTemplar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By TheTemplar

Good stuff

blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By blacklab

+sideways 8 for the title of this article.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By MeatSim

I approve of a nice mustache.

MasterVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By MasterVader

Mustache? Now things are about to get real.

reruns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By reruns

As a regular reader of Mustache Aficionado magazine, I feel qualified to declare that a mustache of the highest grade.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By I_smell

HOLY FUCKING MOUSTACHE.
    Lock the doors. Everybody go home. This E3 is over. Nothing beats Rad Spencer with a moustache.

JeffEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JeffEater

Fuck this game. Fuck Capcom. They all suck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.