Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando Rearmed

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 13, 2008

Bionic Commando Rearmed is a remake of the classic NES game, Bionic Commando. Although it was designed mainly as a marketing tie-in to the 360 and PS3 game also called Bionic Commando, it was actually far, far better received by critics than the real console game.

Yahtzee's Review of Bionic Commando VS Jeff Gerstmann's Review

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By g805ge

Who do you think made a better review of Bionic Commando Rearmed?

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw or Jeff Gerstmann?

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By PureRok

Probably Jeff. I watch Yahtzee's "reviews" for entertainment purposes only. If anyone seriously makes buying decisions with his "reviews" should stop right away.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DualReaver

Vinny.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187
    PureRok said:
    "Probably Jeff. I watch Yahtzee's "reviews" for entertainment purposes only. If anyone seriously makes buying decisions with his "reviews" should stop right away."
    *ugh*  I wish people would get off their high horses and realize that as much as they may hate Yahtzee, he speaks a lot of truth.  He's not JUST being a douche.  He's saved me from a ton of bad buys so far, but offering good rentals instead.
    But I do watch his reviews for entertainment value more than I do for a "critical" opinion.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Oh God. Are we comparing REVIEWS?!

This is totally ridiculous.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I haven't played the game, so I can't say, but too many people disregard Yahtzee's words because he's funny. He makes a hell of a lot of good points, and made the definitive review of Too Human, I think.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

There is plenty of value to be had from listening to Yahtzee, just as there is value from listening to Jeff. I mainly watch Yahtzee for the entertainment value, but I have found myself agreeing with him on many points. That being said, I still don't like Psychonauts and still love Oblivion.

Back on point though, who cares who's review was better? If there comes a day when there's a website which reviews the reviews of games, I'm pretty certain the world will then end. Either that or all us sane people will just think its ridiculous. One of the two.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jayge_
    jakob187 said:
    " He's not JUST being a douche. "
    Yes he is. Even he admits it. He doesn't *want* anybody to make a serious consideration of a game using his "reviews" as part of that decision. He's made that explicitly clear before.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Jayge said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Yes he is. Even he admits it. He doesn't *want* anybody to make a serious consideration of a game using his "reviews" as part of that decision. He's made that explicitly clear before."
    Bush doesn't want people to hate him, but we do gladly anyways. Also, this holds no relevance.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Jayge said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Yes he is. Even he admits it. He doesn't *want* anybody to make a serious consideration of a game using his "reviews" as part of that decision. He's made that explicitly clear before."
    Bush doesn't want people to hate him, but we do gladly anyways. Also, this holds no relevance."
    Yeah, well, that's a whole other point that I could go off on, but this is about Yahtzee and Jeff...not Bush.  lol
    g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By g805ge

Yahtzee = ultimate douchebag.

The most condescending asshole on the planet and yet many fanboys on earth praise him as the messiah of gaming criticism....FUBAR! The cunts insults the people who like the games he hates and people stand up for this guy? Then optimistic gamers might as well be fanboys.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
    g805ge said:
    "Yahtzee = ultimate douchebag.

The most condescending asshole on the planet and yet many fanboys on earth praise him as the messiah of gaming criticism....FUBAR! The cunts insults the people who like the games he hates and people stand up for this guy? Then optimistic gamers might as well be fanboys."
    You must be a Smash Bros. fanboy.
    g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By g805ge
    jakob187 said:
    "g805ge said:
    "Yahtzee = ultimate douchebag.

The most condescending asshole on the planet and yet many fanboys on earth praise him as the messiah of gaming criticism....FUBAR! The cunts insults the people who like the games he hates and people stand up for this guy? Then optimistic gamers might as well be fanboys."
    You must be a Smash Bros. fanboy."
    I like the game but it's not one of my favorites. He called anyone the plays the game competively fanboys. You think people don't have the right to have angry for him to insult people who like SSBB like that?

You must be a Yahtzee fanboy.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    g805ge said:
    "I like the game but it's not one of my favorites. He called anyone the plays the game competively fanboys. You think people don't have the right to have angry for him to insult people who like SSBB like that?

You must be a Yahtzee fanboy."
    See, somehow, I knew this was going to stem from his SSBB review, like most of the bile people spew at him is from.  And you know what?  He's fucking right about all of it.  The SSB franchise is nothing more than a huge button-masher, and it's completely pointless.  All the competitive fanboys that drool over that hunking pile of shit are the same kinds of guys that fail to excel at something like Samurai Showdown or SFII, and so they have to find something retardedly simple in order to "make a competition" off of.

And if you are competing on SSB, you might as well jerk each other off and see who busts a nut first...because it takes about the same amount of effort and creates about the same level of mess.

And it IS bullshit that you have to unlock characters for a fucking party game!!!  Same goes for every Mario Party game (although I liked 8 as a "nothing else to play" game).

I thought all of this shit BEFORE he reviewed SSBB, but he finally said what I couldn't put into words nearly as well.

And just for a quick bit of curiosity:  if you hate the fucker so much, why do you watch his reviews?  Do you like kicking yourself in the nuts so you can look at the bruises too?
    g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By g805ge
    jakob187 said:
    "g805ge said:
    "I like the game but it's not one of my favorites. He called anyone the plays the game competively fanboys. You think people don't have the right to have angry for him to insult people who like SSBB like that?

See, somehow, I knew this was going to stem from his SSBB review, like most of the bile people spew at him is from.  And you know what?  He's fucking right about all of it.  The SSB franchise is nothing more than a huge button-masher, and it's completely pointless.  All the competitive fanboys that drool over that hunking pile of shit are the same kinds of guys that fail to excel at something like Samurai Showdown or SFII, and so they have to find something retardedly simple in order to "make a competition" off of.

And if you are competing on SSB, you might as well jerk each other off and see who busts a nut first...because it takes about the same amount of effort and creates about the same level of mess.

And it IS bullshit that you have to unlock characters for a fucking party game!!!  Same goes for every Mario Party game (although I liked 8 as a "nothing else to play" game).

I thought all of this shit BEFORE he reviewed SSBB, but he finally said what I couldn't put into words nearly as well.

And just for a quick bit of curiosity:  if you hate the fucker so much, why do you watch his reviews?  Do you like kicking yourself in the nuts so you can look at the bruises too?
    "
    Pfft, this is was pathetic reply. SSBB is a button masher? He said the same thing about fighting games in general, plus the Super Smash Bros. series isn't fighting game; it's a party game. People play it competively so they can have fun and challenge themselves, plus I know some gamers who actually really good at the game who don't button mash through victory, these guys manage to beat anyone who button mashed them including me and I'm not very good at Brawl. The fact the game doesn't give you all the characters is because you need to earn the game and makes the game more compelling and rewarding to play, but Yahtzee is right that the single player is repetive and weak. Yahtzee does make valid points but he also comes off as a elitist who obviously creates a army of mindless fanboys {like you} so he can become more famous for money. The man is far from a constructive and he's a poor at commentary. I can sum up his rant on retro games like this: Sonic for the Xbox360 > Sonic for the Genesis. The man is a snarky sensationalist who's just going to make the gaming industry worse. There's another website that offers constructive criticism that are valid and honest. It's called Gamecritics.com, they're so many reviews I disagree from them but they are excellent at critiqueing, they're aren't elitist, the game critics are nice, and they are constructive and take gaming as a art form. Yahtzee bashed nearly every game that tried to trescend from game to art like Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto IV, Braid, MGS4, Uncharted, The Witcher, and BioShock despite the fact he considers himself to be a game is a artform guy. The reason I still watch his videos so I can see how low he stoop, he used to create legitimate criticism but know he's nothing more than a guy who talks fast and a troll which is something Yahtzee refuse that fact.

Go back to your hole, you're just one of his mindless fanboys.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I love Yahtzee, one of my favorite reviewers. Despite being a heavy gamer, he seems to hate every game that's ever released. We are very similar in that regard.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Coltonio7

I wouldn't really call Yahtzee a reviewer....more like a commentator.

If the point of the video is comedy more than anything then it's not really an accurate review. But...he gets his point across.

g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By g805ge
    Coltonio7 said:
    "I wouldn't really call Yahtzee a reviewer....more like a commentator.

If the point of the video is comedy more than anything then it's not really an accurate review. But...he gets his point across."
    So you agee that retro games and fighting games suck?
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snail

Yahtzee doesn't really review...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The man is a snarky sensationalist who's just going to make the gaming industry worse.

Don't be stupid. A single reviewer isn't going to have any effect on the industry at all. You entire post is full of shining logic such as this. How am I to take you any more seriously than Yahtzee when you say things that are obviously meant to appeal to peoples emotions more than their intellect?
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snail

Guys... guys...

Yahtzee is payed to simply comment on the game in a pessimistic way, if you have a mind of your own you don't give a shit about his opinion and just enjoy the videos which are plain awesome. Sometimes you agree, sometimes you don't who cares?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
    g805ge said:
    "Coltonio7 said:
    "I wouldn't really call Yahtzee a reviewer....more like a commentator.

If the point of the video is comedy more than anything then it's not really an accurate review. But...he gets his point across."
    So you agee that retro games and fighting games suck?"
    For the most part, yeah.  I'd explain, but you're just another brick wall with unwavering ideas.

I can easily agree with Coltonio, however.

As for your recent wall of text, I stopped reading whenever I saw "People play it competively so they can have fun and challenge themselves" in reference to the SSB franchise.  If seeing who has a thicker forehead to bash a controller with is a fucking challenge, then you sir must be playing the wrong video games.

And the whole "games are art" thing that you ranted about?  He complained about the games you listed for the same reasons that ALL of the people who have played those games complained:

Mass Effect - gets repetitive after a while, and fuck text
    GTA IV - gets annoying and can't decide what it wants to be
    Braid - you can essentially never die, which is bullshit
    MGS4 - it's a fucking movie disguised in a game box
    Uncharted - it wasn't a good game, get over it
    The Witcher - it was bugged, it was weak, and it was whiny
    Bioshock - it was a dumbed down System Shock 2

Does that mean that I had to listen to Yahtzee to come to those conclusions?  NO!  I played the games, and after playing them, I could completely agree with him.  Despite that, I still love Bioshock, The Witcher (well, the recent re-release of it at least), and Braid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes you agree, sometimes you don't who cares?

I agree.
    g805ge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By g805ge
    Bellum said:
    "
    The man is a snarky sensationalist who's just going to make the gaming industry worse.

Don't be stupid. A single reviewer isn't going to have any effect on the industry at all. You entire post is full of shining logic such as this. How am I to take you any more seriously than Yahtzee when you say things that are obviously meant to appeal to peoples emotions more than their intellect?"
    Ifs just that I hate it when people try to shun me for not agreeing with Yahtzee and like the games he hates. I always get that from his fanboys. I can't get the sound of his fanboys out of my fucking mind. I hate his fanbase so much that it gets on my fucking nerves. I don't mind if people agree with him or being a fan of Yahtzee but I hate it when people call me a fanboy for liking the games he hates and disagreeing with him. It's becoming so big on the fucking internet I just can't take it. Look I'm sorry I just hate his fucking fanbase. Now that yahtzee is becoming more popular than the Halo series, alot of gamers are going to be like this. I just don't want people to insult me like that.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Oni
    jakob187 said:
    "g805ge said:

"
    Please don't procreate and let your stupid contaminate the human gene pool. Please. Ignoring the fact that you seem to think your opinion on a fucking video game is the only right one, it appears you've never spent more than 5 minutes playing the game.

Smash Bros is not a button masher. I am not a series fanboy nor do I play it competetively, but anyone with an ounce of skill will realize this. I'm not even that good but so help me god I will fucking destroy you if you try to button mash against me, or any skilled player. Simplistic controls =/= no depth, I wish people would realize this.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By fr0br0

Can anybody post Yahtzee's review/commentary/stupidity/godlyness of Bionic Commando please?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
    g805ge said:
    "Ifs just that I hate it when people try to shun me for not agreeing with Yahtzee and like the games he hates."
    You cannot make a statement like this when you allow yourself to make a statement like this:
    g805ge said:
    "I hate his fanbase so much that it gets on my fucking nerves."
    That's what we call a double standard.  You are saying you hate Yahtzee and his fanbase, but you don't want to be hated by them?  Wake the fuck up, man.

Next, you've got this nice little morsel:

g805ge said:
    "I don't mind if people agree with him or being a fan of Yahtzee but I hate it when people call me a fanboy for liking the games he hates and disagreeing with him."
    Again, you bring up this double standard where you say you don't mind if people are fans...but you fucking hate them?  And you wonder why you receive hate in return?  My God, man.

And honestly, if Yahtzee doesn't like a game that you do like...and his fans don't like a game that you do...WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT MATTER?!  If you like the game, that's all that matters.  Welcome to teh interwebz?  It's a place filled with hate and bile.  Get used ot it or gtfo.

And now that we're done beating up on each other, we move to the next logical step:  go out and buy a round for everyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best idea I've heard all night.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Snail

This is starting to get fun!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
    Oni said:
    "Please don't procreate and let your stupid contaminate the human gene pool. Please. Ignoring the fact that you seem to think your opinion on a fucking video game is the only right one, it appears you've never spent more than 5 minutes playing the game.

Smash Bros is not a button masher. I am not a series fanboy nor do I play it competetively, but anyone with an ounce of skill will realize this. I'm not even that good but so help me god I will fucking destroy you if you try to button mash against me, or any skilled player. Simplistic controls =/= no depth, I wish people would realize this."
    Not saying my opinion is the only right one.  Simply offering up my view on it, which I happen to share with Yahtzee.  That's it.  I will give it that Melee holds some skill needs if you get into some of the competitive play, but Brawl was weak in comparison.  I only know this because I've button-mashed and beaten seven different tournament winners in the Central Texas area on Brawl.  It wasn't a super huge win in any case, but I still won...proving to me beyond a shadow of a doubt that people can get lucky too easily on the game.  This was something that happened a handful of times on Melee, and happened all the time on the first game.  Melee is, in my opinion, the better of the three...but even then, that's not saying much for me.  So it's whatever.  It's just my opinion.

However, I still understand the views of the SSB community.  I don't agree, and that's what opinions and criticism are built for.

I'm just saying...I don't get the same thing out of SSB that I get out of SFII.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Snail

WA--? You're stuck at 35 posts Jakob!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187

I CAN ONLY HOPE!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Snail

35 sounds mediocre. 0 rocked man...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
    Snail said:
    "35 sounds mediocre. 0 rocked man..."
    Now you are just rubbing it in my face.  =  (
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By keyhunter

I don't trust Australians opinions on things, so I wouldn't take him seriously if he actually did do a serious review of a game. 

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PureRok

The only thing that bugs me about Yahtzee is not him himself, but the people who comment on his videos. They all try to write stuff that sounds like the way he talks in his videos with the flamboyant vocabulary. It's not that I don't understand what they're are saying, it's just that they come off as pretentious and seem like they are trying too hard.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By Cube

I used to hate him for some reason but he's funny and sometimes he is right, joking or not.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Snail
    jakob187 said:
    "Snail said:
    Now you are just rubbing it in my face.  =  ("
    54! How does it feel Jakob? How does it feel?!
    Blindfutur3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Blindfutur3

Does anyone know where I can find the review by Yahtzee. Would be nice to see it

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jakob187
    Snail said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Snail said:
    Now you are just rubbing it in my face.  =  ("
    54! How does it feel Jakob? How does it feel?!"
    LOL  Man, I remember back when I had no posts.  =  (  They never would fix it...
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Although this was not originally an SSB thread , i can never help myself hating on that game. SSB is trash , phew i feel much better now, i bid you all goodnight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.