Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

40 Minutes With Bionic Commando...And What Do I Think?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

IT'S FUCKING AWESOME!!!

Sure, it's not too far into the game, but man...it's BRUTAL on Commando mode (highest difficulty...gotta get those achievements, son!).  The swinging mechanic has a bit of a learning curve, but within 40 minutes, I was swinging around Ascension City like it was no thang.  The shooting portion of it had me using a pistol with a very forgiving targeting reticle.

Achievements are mainly just the challenges that the game has for you, but playing through on Commando nets you all three of the difficulty achievements, which is worth about 200+ points.  Other than that, the challenges are pretty easy in the beginning, but so far, they are damn fun.

Graphics are pretty good.  I mean, it's Capcom.  You can see a lot of pop-in here and there, but given that my fanboy senses are on overload from finally getting to play Bionic Commando, I'm not really too worried about that.  The voice acting doesn't seem to fit the character models, but I was skipping most of the cutscenes anyways, as I only had 40 minutes before going on duty at work.

I'm gonna plug up on it some more tonight, but doods...IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By daz0608

I can't wait until this get released in the UK

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

Bionic Commando was before my time. However, I got into Rearmed. I'll probably get it on my trip to the Best Buy tomorrow, along with Punch-Out!! (gotta remember the exclamation marks)

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I canceled my preorder for now when I heard the game took some reviewers only 5 hours.  I want to know how long it takes you to get through the game, not counting any replayed levels, but of course not speed running either.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
    Diamond said:
    I canceled my preorder for now when I heard the game took some reviewers only 5 hours.  I want to ... [more]
    Well, I'm sure that 5 hours isn't on the Commando difficulty setting, which is what I'm playing on.  I'm going to play it after I get off work tonight, and I'll update tomorrow with my progression and such.  = D  Needless to say, I'm not expecting the game to be super long.  The original wasn't.  lol  Personally, the amount of time a playthrough takes doesn't make a difference to me (unless I get to the end and pull a "WTF, IT'S OVER ALREADY" moment).
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By George_Hukas
    Diamond said:
    I canceled my preorder for now when I heard the game took some reviewers only 5 hours.  I want to ... [more]
    I heard it was twice that, but who knows what difficulty they played I guess. Nice to hear Commando mode is pretty tough though. I was a huge fan of Lost Planet and I need my swinging fix.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @jakob187: I did not appreciate the huge "BIONIC COMMANDO!!!!!!!" before I got off my Xbox.

I DID NOT APPRECIATE!!!

Send it to me when you're done. Thank you.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
    Vinchenzo said:
    @jakob187: I did not appreciate the huge "BIONIC COMMANDO!!!!!!!" before I got off my Xbox.I DID NOT APPRECIATE!!!Send it to ... [more]
    LAWL  Dood, you're gonna have some FUN achievement whoring this hoe.

SO HERE'S THE UPDATE:

I'm 36% of the way through the game right now.  Commando mode is NO JOKE!!!  Very very tough as nails.  Enemies will kill you quick and easy, so you need to utilize cover as much as you can and have some pretty good aim.  Granted, it's that situation where the enemies have the same guns but they do a shitload more damage rather than just being smarter, but man...it's still tough as nails.

I wasn't very happy with the controls to start, but once I found out I could turn up the sensitivity on my right analog's X-axis, it made manuevering around much easier.  I would've been thoroughly pissed if they didn't have that option and tried to force your fingers to use the D-pad for all this quick turning nonsense.  Other than that, the controls seem pretty smooth once you get past the learning curve of it all.  I've been swinging away like crazy, and I'm sure that if I go down to a lower difficulty, the achievements won't be too tough to get.

Most of the achievements happen to be the challenges that you complete in the game, and the more you complete, the more upgrades you'll get:  faster reloading, more ammo capacity, stronger weapons.  I had read Jeff's review and he said that the weapons didn't feel very powerful, but I can't say I totally agree with that.  By no means do these weapons actually hit like they are supposed to (then again, I'm playing on Commando mode), but it does seem like they get the job done properly.  The aiming reticle really pisses me off, though, as I wish there was just a traditional crosshair and not this big, open circle that shoots guesstimates.  Precision would've made this a lesser (and decidedly easier) game, but at the same time, the aiming reticle they have here doesn't do much better.

Swinging through the air is so fucking awesome, and there's tons of it so far.  One part has you swinging through the Fissure, and it's pretty fucking awesome just going from ledge to ledge swinging around.

One thing that I've had some issues with about the arm is the arm combat moves with enemies.  When you are fighting against the Shield Biomechs and the Polycrafts (those are the flying things you saw in the GB Quick Look...and that's the part that I'm currently on now in the game), it can sometimes be very difficult to get that red reticle to pop up for a zip kick.  It's annoying as sin, and when it fails to happen, you've got another 10 second setup usually before you get another chance...and that's IF you can get it to work again.

So yeah, the game has a few hiccups here and there (like how the majority of the game is simply swinging and shooting...but hey, we learned from Wanted that GRIN is good at repetition), but to be honest...Rad just plays too much like an incredible badass.

I'm going to dig down into the game some more tonight and HOPEFULLY get past the 70% mark.  I'm NOT looking forward to that worm fight.  Mostly, though, I really wanna see this big badass ending sequence that Jeff was talking about in his review...
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

Have you been hadokened yet Jakob ????

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
    ZombieHunterOG said:
    Have you been hadokened yet Jakob ????
    Actually, no I haven't!!!  I feel kinda left out.  =  (  Maybe I should plug in SFIV for a couple minutes tonight just for that.  lol
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well, I am glad that the game is good, jakob. I was a bit discouraged by the reviews, but it really looks like old-school Bionic Commando and that is a good thing. I am also glad the challenge is properly implemented ;)

I will give this a rent because it looks like a short, compact experience that I could plow through in a few days.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    jakob187 said:
    ZombieHunterOG said: Have you been hadokened yet Jakob ???? Actually, no I haven't!!! I feel kinda left out. = ( ... [more]
    When i watched the quick look  i was sold as soon as i saw those giant robots throwing hadokens 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai

I was totally gonna buy this but the multiplayer beta totally killed it for me it was so laggy with the hit detection and was utter crap , the only fun part was swinging.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
    RHCPfan24 said:
    Well, I am glad that the game is good, jakob. I was a bit discouraged by the reviews, but it ... [more]
    It's short and compact if you are playing on lower difficulties, I'm sure.  On Commando mode, I've easily put in 6 hours already and I'm 1/3 of the way through the game.  I spent about 2 hours on one level last night because one enemy just kept getting the best of me until I finally just got lucky today when I came into work and beat him (it's the Polycraft on the little island piece in front of the minefield that needs to be deactivated...the three soldiers there + the Polycraft just get fucking me up, but I finally figured out a way around it).

Also, I just remembered...because of explaining that part...my sole massive problem with this game:  THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH CHECKPOINTS!!!  It's something I'm actually divided on:
    • On one hand, to truly keep it old school, starting over from scratch on an area is the only way to go, BUT...
    • On the other hand, I don't feel like going through the easier portion of something OVER AND OVER AND OVER again that I KNOW I can get past without an issue just to get trumped by a big fucking Biomech that refuses to fucking die...or a swarm of 6 enemies that all have dead-aim accuracy!!!

So, if you are the kind of person that gets frustrated easily from playing video games...avoid Commando mode like it's the muthafuckin' PLAGUE!!!
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jakob187
    Jeffsekai said:
    I was totally gonna buy this but the multiplayer beta totally killed it for me it was so laggy with ... [more]
    I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet, mostly because this has always felt like a single-player priority game to me.  Don't judge the game itself from the multiplayer demo.  That's a bad, bad thing.  Now, if you are a multiplayer focused type of gamer, I've heard that many of the issues from the demo have been addressed.  As far as hit detection goes, though...that's just how the aiming reticle works.  Like I said, it kind of pisses me off.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RHCPfan24
    jakob187 said:
    RHCPfan24 said: Well, I am glad that the game is good, jakob. I was a bit discouraged by the reviews, ... [more]
    Ah, the good old "lack of checkpoint" problem resurfaces once again. Yeah, I don't know if I would jump straight into Commando mode (maybe a second playthrough, but achievements are always an incentive!) but obviously this problem follows over to the other difficulties. Oh well, it is one of those problems that some people will love because of its old-school nature and others will despise. I don't mind when a checkpoint is placed before a difficult section so you have to play that over and over until you master it, but one before an easy section that leads into a hard one is pretty lame. I understand where the frustration can come from.
    SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

Well, I have yet to get Bionic Commando: ReArmed, but this game looks incredibly fun.  I love the swinging mechanic.

Is there any connection between the stories of ReArmed and this game?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
    RHCPfan24 said:
    jakob187 said: RHCPfan24 said: Well, I am glad that the game is good, jakob. I was a bit discouraged by ... [more]
    Playing through the game on Hard nets you 75 points, while playing through on Commando nets you 100.  I'm guessing that the difficulty achievements are retroactive, so playing through on Commando should be 175G.  That is worth playing through on Commando to start.  Plus, I was a mad crazy Bionic Commando freak as a kid.  Unfortunately, since I don't own my OWN Xbox, I haven't gotten to play Rearmed (which I want to SOOOOO fucking bad), but nonetheless, I dusted off my old copy of BC about a week ago and played it at my parents' house.  I felt like I was 7 all over again.  It was fucking awesome.  Therefore, I had to jump right into Commando mode.  There was just no other way to play it.

Yeah, the checkpoint thing is a toss-up.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai
    jakob187 said:
    Jeffsekai said: I was totally gonna buy this but the multiplayer beta totally killed it for me it was so ... [more]
    I guess I am kinda multiplayer focused, just that after I beat the story I like it when there's a fun hassle free multiplayer aspect for the game as well... it  just has to be fun.

On the hit detection thingy, its not how the redical works (I thought it was fine) I guess its more of the bullet lag/player lag that killed it for me and I know that wont be fixed because it never is (Take a look at Gear 2) idn tho I might rent it at some point after Im done with Sacred 2

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax

Now I want it again : \

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
    Jeffsekai said:
    jakob187 said: Jeffsekai said: I was totally gonna buy this but the multiplayer beta totally killed it for me it ... [more]
    Well, I'll probably dig into some of the multiplayer after I get stuck on whatever level I get stuck on tonight.  lol  I'll let you know how things turn out...
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22  Edited By natetodamax
    @jakob187: Will you be writing a review anytime in the near future?
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
    Voxel said:
    @jakob187: Will you be writing a review anytime in the near future?
    I don't typically write reviews, especially because if you are reading this ongoing topic...I'm basically reviewing the game already.  lol  I prefer discussing a game and informing people of answers to their questions rather than writing reviews.

But I might...  Last one I wrote was for BattleForge.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @jakob187: Hmm....points......how nice. And I would recommend you pick up BC: Rearmed on XBL next week. It is dropping 50%, to 400 points ($5). It is pretty much a steal at that price.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By toowalrus

It's in my gamefly que... looks great, but I've got to save my cash... still want a PS3.

Edit: It actually shipped this morning, I'll have it in two days.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
    RHCPfan24 said:
    @jakob187: Hmm....points......how nice. And I would recommend you pick up BC: Rearmed on XBL next week. It is dropping 50%, ... [more]
    I would totally buy it...if it were my own personal Xbox.  =  /
    Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By gingertastic_10

jakob i agree with you 100%...its a great game

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @jakob187: I see. Well, that's a shame. Try and find a way to play it eventually. It's freaking sweet.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187

STATUS UPDATE!!!

Alright, so I STILL haven't beaten it yet.  Had two very very VERY rough areas while I was playing yesterday (and I kind of got lost in playing X-Men Origins: Wolverine for the better part of 3 hours or so).  Nonetheless, I'm past The Mohole (that's the big worm boss).  Yes, Super Joe DID tell me "you'll just have to fuck it"...followed by Rad saying "my pleasure" in a very "did you SERIOUSLY just say that" fashion.  I couldn't stop laughing.  It was great.

I think I'm at the 86% or so mark, not too much further to go.  Right now, I'm on the Oil Rig level after I've lost communication with Super Joe since I didn't get the evac I was supposed to get.  Anyone have any clue how far away from over that is?  Just curious.

All I know is the FSA Memorial Building was a B-I-T-C-H on Commando.  I finally planned it all out and got it, but it took me upwards of 3 hours or so.  I now FULLY understand what Jeff meant when he said that the Tungsten is a peashooter and virtually useless.  lol  Even then, trying to throw stuff at the enemies and just generally trying to be tricky and clever was pure Hell, as one little thing would go awry and fuck EVERYTHING up, then "Game Over".

Also, I met the Hadoken Mechs (called Air Force Biomechs, but might as well call them Street Fighter IV Championship Gundam Mechs with Frills).  Please tell me there are only four of those fuckers.  I had to run around SOOOO fucking much trying to find little spots to wait in hiding while they turned around and shit, then eventually just got tired of playing cat and mouse and started swinging around like crazy.  Word to the wise:  DON'T SWING AROUND LIKE CRAZY ON COMMANDO WHEN FIGHTING THE SF4CGMwF's!!!  THEY FUCKING HURT, MAN!!!

So, hopefully I'll be done today.  If not, I think I'll have to give up on gaming forever.  Thankfully, though, Bionic Commando and Wolverine helped bust me over the 19k points hump on gamerscore, and I've still got about 600 to pull on BC and 600 or so on Wolverine.  = D  NOM NOM NOM!!!  20K, HERE I COME!!!

I SERIOUSLY wanna S Rank Bionic Commando, folks!!!

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By gingertastic_10

i just got the game and i just got done with the tutorial...hows the story and gameplay holding up where your at in it?..im really really liking it so far

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    gingertastic_10 said:
    i just got the game and i just got done with the tutorial...hows the story and gameplay holding up where ... [more]
    Just finished the game last night.  I'd guess it was somewhere between eight and ten hours long.  Nowhere near the BS twenty hour number that Ben Judd talked about.   Gameplay was fun throughout.  Story on the other hand was awful.  Someone needs to make a *spoiler*  thread about that, as I'm not about the ruin the story for others by talking about it here.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187

UPDATE!!!

Finished the game tonight.  820 points on my first run through.  Finishing the game on Commando WILL unlock the "I got hard!" achievement for beating the game on Hard.  That ending sequence was FUCKING AWESOME!!!

The story...look, the story is paper thin, but the ending...the twist...was EXCELLENT!!!  I was kind of figuring that there was something fishy going on with some things, but MAN!!!  I don't even think I can reference the movie that the twist rips from because THAT might be giving something away.

The morse code ending...if you haven't looked it up...speculation is that there might be a sequel, and it might involve the resurrection of Hitler!!!  WOOT!!!  Of course...with the way the game ends...who knows how a sequel will work or not?  =  /

All around, besides the amount of frustration I felt playing the game on Commando mode, the game is definitely a good, fun experience...and playing through on Commando...every save point feels like an accomplishment.  lol

I haven't played the multiplayer, and to be honest, I don't really know if I want to bother.

Now, I need to finish up X-Men Origins Wolverine so I can go BACK to Bionic Commando, start a game on easy, and get all the collectibles and finish all the challenges.  Does anyone happen to know if all the challenges have to be completely on one save game, or will it count the achievements across ALL of the different save games?  Also, does anyone know if the lower difficulties (like Easy for example) have fewer enemies at any point of the game compared to the higher difficulties?

Thanks, guys, for checking out this thread over the last week.  I hope I've been able to help you guys decide on whether you should give it a try or not.  I definitely recommend it, if not just for the craziness of the swinging and awesome factor it exudes.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#33  Edited By c1337us

I only got this game last night. I havent played much yet, probably about 20-30 minutes worth and I am having a shit ton of fun already.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
    SuperJoe said:
    jakob187 said: UPDATE!!!Finished the game tonight. 820 points on my first run through. Finishing the game on Commando WILL unlock ... [more]
    No, Spencer is not a ghost...although, for a while, I had the idea in my head that maybe it was all a dream he was running through and by the end, he'd wake up in 1988 or something right after the first game ended and he'd be dying or something.  lol

The thing is that the twist...yeah, it kind of hits out of left field.  It's a love/hate situation.  On one hand, you'll wish that the story was more developed so that the twist might hold a little bit more to it.  On the other hand, it's an excellent fucking ending to an excellent fucking game!  If you are a fan of the NES game and have an attachment to certain characters, it'll definitely make you sit back and say "oh fuck".

God, I wanna just scream out the name of the movie that the twist rips from...but it would be giving SOOOO much away!!!  lol

@c1337us:  LOVE THE DON ADAMS AVATAR!!!  Get Smart is one of my favorite TV shows of all time.  Used to watch it all the time when I was a kid, and NEVER missed a Nick at Nite marathon!!!
    70sStylePimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#35  Edited By 70sStylePimp

Bought this today and after I reckon an hour or so play i am enjoying it.  Got the swining mechanic sorted I reckon, and I like how the trophies (Im on PS3 for this one) are based upon the challenges.

Can't comment on the Commando difficulty as I chickened out and decided to play on normal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.