Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

Did anyone actually like this game as much as I did?

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By chilipeppersman

Bionic Commando....kind of a sad story. Sold really bad, got critiqued pretty bad, and most players ended up not liking it due to bugs in the game or lag in the multiplexer. Valid points, but when I played it on PC, I didnt notice any of this. The frame rate was smooth, the visuals IMO looked very good, and the game was just downright fun. Sure, it was kinda short, but I liked the story and found it easy to follow.

That was about 2-3 years ago, and playing the multiplayer demo on my X360 sparked my fond memories of the single player. Definitely a game I would go back through and play again, so whatsup? Am I way off, or are there some people who genuinely enjoyed this game as much as I did?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By laserbolts

I'm trying to remember if I did or not. I know I didn't beat it but it's been so long now since I played it. Was it sort of difficult or am I thinking about something else? I remember a huge worm boss or something that pissed me off so I stopped playing. I remember the swinging definitely took some time to get used to.

shootermcclay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By shootermcclay

I remember really liking the swinging and the level design, but not really enjoying the third-person shooting. It was a little frustrating but I ended up getting all of the trophies. I think it was my third platinum trophy.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Klei

I remember liking it.. I don't care for the dreadlocks, it's just the cheesy-as-fuck storyline but the overall gameplay that felt lame to me.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By NegativeCero

I never actually played it, but I remember really liking the multiplayer demo. I guess just not enough to buy the game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JasonR86

@chilipeppersman:

No one else did. It was just you.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the demo, never bothered with the full game though.

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Tharrington

I actually really liked it. I always enjoy Mike Patton hamming it up, and I really loved how the swinging felt. Plus, I always used the Rearmed skin for some 80s flavor.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WarlordPayne

I didn't have any bugs or framerate issues, I just thought it was a shitty game. The shooting was pretty bad and the story was awful. The swinging was a lot of fun but the level design was so restrictive with that god damned radiation that you couldn't really have any fun with it without accidentally swinging into radiation and dying before you could get back out.

I really wanted to like that game since I love the original Bionic Commando and BC: Rearmed, but it was horrible start to finish.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I actually just bought it recently cause I've been listening to old Bombcasts, specifically the one Jeff talked about the game in. Aaaand. I dunno, I kinda lost interest. To be fair I had a bunch of other better games waiting so I'll try to go back to it when I hit a lull some time. I really wanted to love it but it didn't grab me for some reason.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By Mnemoidian

Started playing it about a year ago, but for some reason put it down.

I keep thinking about finishing it. Then I start up Dark Souls, or something, instead.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ramone

I fucking hate Bionic Commando.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Carryboy

Didn't like it when it came out went back and completed it earlier this year enjoyed it, definitely had its problems visually very impressive at times even now.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By jacksukeru

It's half of my name.

@WarlordPayne said:

I didn't have any bugs or framerate issues, I just thought it was a shitty game. The shooting was pretty bad and the story was awful. The swinging was a lot of fun but the level design was so restrictive with that god damned radiation that you couldn't really have any fun with it without accidentally swinging into radiation and dying before you could get back out.

I really wanted to like that game since I love the original Bionic Commando and BC: Rearmed, but it was horrible start to finish.

I agree with a lot of this, though I actually really liked the game. It had this interesting idea where it tied achievements into upgrades so if you would say, hit 4 guys with a grenade you could carry more grenades, but it was implemented really terribly. Levels were also mostly small areas with long load times inbetween and, like previously mentioned, were often restricted by radiation in really aggravating ways.

Then there was the lack of ammo for all of the secondary weapons, and how it locks a lot of your arm abilities to progression despite this restriction not being really necessary. Let's not even get into where the story went.

With all this said I loved the movement, the swinging and the level design, despite the small levels. I thought the two first bosses were really good, the first one especially challenging on higher difficulties, the latter where middling to non-existent and one I expect were cut out entirely.

Overall, a very, very unfortunately put together game with some base mechanics I grew very fond of.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Sunjammer

Loved it to death

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn

Yup, Bionic Commando is awesome. The gameplay is fun as hell, and the story is hilarious. The game had some problems (the checkpointing was really no good, for one) but it was a stellar foundation and I'd still love to see what they could do with a sequel. Wishful thinking, I know.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Tylea002
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By huntad

I'd probably like it now, but I'll be honest in saying that I wouldn't pay full price for it. It's just not my kind of game.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Lukeweizer

I really liked the gameplay. The story was... whatever. But I loved swinging around. I remember playing the multiplayer demo before the game came out for hours and just swinging during matches. I always tell my friends that Bionic Commando is the best Spider-Man game ever made.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By I_smell

Some of the combat was a bit rubbish, and the dialogue was dumb as hell, and the TOXIC SMOG that you weren't allowed to swing into was fucking annoying- it had it's down points.

But hey it wasn't too bad! It was alright. I liked the whole ending.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tobiass

I did. It presented me with weird challenge....the controls were weird. It felt like an N64 game with SNES style level by level system.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ProfessorK

I thought it was pretty good. Once you acclimated to the swinging that game was very good about letting you choose you method of attack and you could get very creative. It was pretty refreshing. My only real issue was i thought the ending was shit. It lacked any real sense of closure.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I liked the way the environments looked and I remember the colors used were bright and colorful, a nice change of pace.

But I didn't like the actual gameplay and certain parts of levels seemed to be copy and pasted too much.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By TheHT

The wife in arm thing was stupid, and I wasn't a fan of Super Joe, but that swinging was a blast. At first I hated it, but when you stop yourself from thinking that you can swing around willy nilly like Spider-Man, you can start doing some crazy stuff with it.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meltac

Absolutely loved it. It was just dumb and fun.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By GunstarRed

I have a lot of love for the game. The first thing that you need to get past is the swing. It requires you to let go a little sooner than you'd expect, but once you've mastered it you could do some truly insane stuff. I remember a lot of people complaining that it wasn't open world, but I loved its straightforward action adventureyness. It's not like there wasn't some pretty huge environments around. I rarely felt restricted by my swinging options.

I loved how the game forced you into not playing the game as a shooter, it very, very clearly is not a shooter. There's a reason why the weapons from pods only have limited ammo and your gun is like a tiny pistol. The arm, the arm is capable of doing a ton of different things and the hardest difficulty requires you to master it. I felt incredibly proud when I finished the game, like I had truly achieved something. It was doable, but not cheap like COD on veteran or something... although there are a handful of terrible checkpoints.

I adored the "fuck you, I'm a video game!" attitude the game had. Silly story, giant bosses, dumb dialogue and big 8-bit icons floating about in the air everywhere. I'm glad the game exists, there isn't anything quite like it, but I could totally understand how some of its quirks could turn people off.

Music was also great with little snippets of the music from rearmed integrated into it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Humanity

I picked it up a year or so ago for $5 and it was one of the better platformer action games I had played to date. Especially the early levels in the irradiated city ruins that offer a ton of freedom in mobility are a blast. Once you get the swinging mechanics kinda down and start unlocking new abilities it plays great.

Not sure where the hate comes from. The ending was kinda great on a grand scale as endings should be. They did leave it hanging which is terrible when the game doesn't become commercially successful and is never going to get a sequel.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By falserelic

I didn't like this game I loved It. I had played the shit out of it. I'm still hoping 1 day they can make a sequel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but I hated this game. I actually broke the disc in half and threw it in the garbage.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.