Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Bionic Commando

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released May 18, 2009

Bionic Commando is the follow-up to the NES classic of the same name. The game revolves around the protagonist's bionic arm used for swinging, and combat.

S-Rank Blog Posts #3: Bionic Commando

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Phr4nk0

Another few days another game finished. Bionic Commando took around 5 days for me to 100%. It's received a lot of negativity but I actually thought it was a pretty good game, the shooting is good and swinging around like some badass gun-slinging Spiderman is suitably badass. I would say it deserves a look, especially now that you can probably find it for like $10, atleast thats what I paid for it. It's not the longest game but it's a fun silly ride. 

The one annoyance is the character you control, Nathan "Rad" Spencer. The story is so obvious and the incoming radio messages you recieve give so much away that he never picks up on. They basically slap you over the face with barely hidden cliches of "somethings not quite as it seems" yet he doesn't even get it. Not only that but Nathan is nothing but a straight boy scout. It's pathetic, I actually got angry at some of the cutscenes due to the combination of an IQ below plant level and the black/white state of mind "Rad" can't break free of. 

The story goes something like you stopped all the bad things happening in the previous game (Bionic Commando) and everythings cool, then some dickhead that's basically butthurt he didn't get as much praise/fame as good ol' Spence, decides to launch some scare campaign against Bionics. He get's elected or somehow gains power and hill anti-bionic bill passes because they're too dangerous apparently. Never mind that Bionics were the reason the world didn't fall to the 'evil facists' last time. I 'spose I should explain what/who bionics are, well they're basically soldiers that suffered injuries (ie legs blown off by a landmine is an example in game) that get a/some bionic attachments to not only let them live a normal life again, but to return to service and actually be better than they were before (bionic legs gave the soldier the ability to run super fast, naturality). 

So basically this bill demands that bionics be seperated from there bionic enhancements. Lets see you go up to someone that had their legs blown off to defend you and demand they give up their chance at having some legs. It's bullcrap, and you feel for them, and you hate the high and mighty dickhead that chimes in on your radio that was responsible for it all. Nathan has spent years in deathrow, without his arm, and now the city is under attack from some pro-bionic "terrorists" and he's the only one that can help. So he does, barely holding a grudge and the annoying self rightious crap he spews about what the bionics are doing not being right and blah blah, basically he's fine with laying down and taking it up the ass. Maybe the story's ment to be that he's so brainwashed by the military to protect his country that he doesn't care at all about himself and his situation anymore, but he whinges about it the whole game through and still waxes poetic to the bionics. They're basically just fighting for the chance at a normal life and acceptance while Nathan wants the omlette but refuses to crack an egg.  

All through out the story the main mystery is the sudden disappearance of his wife at about the time he got his arm. Halfway through the story you've got some idea that either she volunteered of they used her in some capacity to get his arm to work. Three-quarters through you know they used her life essence or something for his arm. But Spencer is to dumb to put 2+2 together. It takes him all the way through the last level before he finally realises, even though you see a cutscene where he sees a schematic of his arm with his wifes name and a god damn arrow that connects the two. Pea brain still can't make sense of shit.
    Also his voice acting is completely over the top, I don't know if this was on purpose (I think/hope it was) but it's still incredibly stupid. 

So I've been fairly negative so far but It's only the story, character backgrounds and voice acting thats on the bad side. The part where you actually play the game is quite good. Your arm is badass, you can pull trains down off monorails to crush dudes, grab cars and throw them at robots, swing around like a mad man firing off lock on missiles, it's a load of fun. The plink sound you get for pulling off a headshot is super satisfying lol. As I said before if you see it cheap and are in the mood for some silly fun then you can do a lot worse. The achievements are easy as hell and you could get the full 1000 in one playthrough if you wanted, though I did it in two. The only annoying achievement is The Collector, there's 150 of them scattered throughout the game and while they're bright and stand out you have to get them all in one runthrough. There is no way to go back to get one you missed. Also if you die without getting a checkpoint you have to collect them all again, which is quite frustrating at times. 

Well that's about it. I don't have much to say about Bionic Commando, which is telling. It is a decidedly average game, borrowing bits and pieces from all over but nothing really stands out except the swinging. Which basically is the reason to come here. Get it on the cheap and you'll enjoy it, I know I did.
    Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Phr4nk0

Another few days another game finished. Bionic Commando took around 5 days for me to 100%. It's received a lot of negativity but I actually thought it was a pretty good game, the shooting is good and swinging around like some badass gun-slinging Spiderman is suitably badass. I would say it deserves a look, especially now that you can probably find it for like $10, atleast thats what I paid for it. It's not the longest game but it's a fun silly ride. 

The one annoyance is the character you control, Nathan "Rad" Spencer. The story is so obvious and the incoming radio messages you recieve give so much away that he never picks up on. They basically slap you over the face with barely hidden cliches of "somethings not quite as it seems" yet he doesn't even get it. Not only that but Nathan is nothing but a straight boy scout. It's pathetic, I actually got angry at some of the cutscenes due to the combination of an IQ below plant level and the black/white state of mind "Rad" can't break free of. 

The story goes something like you stopped all the bad things happening in the previous game (Bionic Commando) and everythings cool, then some dickhead that's basically butthurt he didn't get as much praise/fame as good ol' Spence, decides to launch some scare campaign against Bionics. He get's elected or somehow gains power and hill anti-bionic bill passes because they're too dangerous apparently. Never mind that Bionics were the reason the world didn't fall to the 'evil facists' last time. I 'spose I should explain what/who bionics are, well they're basically soldiers that suffered injuries (ie legs blown off by a landmine is an example in game) that get a/some bionic attachments to not only let them live a normal life again, but to return to service and actually be better than they were before (bionic legs gave the soldier the ability to run super fast, naturality). 

So basically this bill demands that bionics be seperated from there bionic enhancements. Lets see you go up to someone that had their legs blown off to defend you and demand they give up their chance at having some legs. It's bullcrap, and you feel for them, and you hate the high and mighty dickhead that chimes in on your radio that was responsible for it all. Nathan has spent years in deathrow, without his arm, and now the city is under attack from some pro-bionic "terrorists" and he's the only one that can help. So he does, barely holding a grudge and the annoying self rightious crap he spews about what the bionics are doing not being right and blah blah, basically he's fine with laying down and taking it up the ass. Maybe the story's ment to be that he's so brainwashed by the military to protect his country that he doesn't care at all about himself and his situation anymore, but he whinges about it the whole game through and still waxes poetic to the bionics. They're basically just fighting for the chance at a normal life and acceptance while Nathan wants the omlette but refuses to crack an egg.  

All through out the story the main mystery is the sudden disappearance of his wife at about the time he got his arm. Halfway through the story you've got some idea that either she volunteered of they used her in some capacity to get his arm to work. Three-quarters through you know they used her life essence or something for his arm. But Spencer is to dumb to put 2+2 together. It takes him all the way through the last level before he finally realises, even though you see a cutscene where he sees a schematic of his arm with his wifes name and a god damn arrow that connects the two. Pea brain still can't make sense of shit.
    Also his voice acting is completely over the top, I don't know if this was on purpose (I think/hope it was) but it's still incredibly stupid. 

So I've been fairly negative so far but It's only the story, character backgrounds and voice acting thats on the bad side. The part where you actually play the game is quite good. Your arm is badass, you can pull trains down off monorails to crush dudes, grab cars and throw them at robots, swing around like a mad man firing off lock on missiles, it's a load of fun. The plink sound you get for pulling off a headshot is super satisfying lol. As I said before if you see it cheap and are in the mood for some silly fun then you can do a lot worse. The achievements are easy as hell and you could get the full 1000 in one playthrough if you wanted, though I did it in two. The only annoying achievement is The Collector, there's 150 of them scattered throughout the game and while they're bright and stand out you have to get them all in one runthrough. There is no way to go back to get one you missed. Also if you die without getting a checkpoint you have to collect them all again, which is quite frustrating at times. 

Well that's about it. I don't have much to say about Bionic Commando, which is telling. It is a decidedly average game, borrowing bits and pieces from all over but nothing really stands out except the swinging. Which basically is the reason to come here. Get it on the cheap and you'll enjoy it, I know I did.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.