Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Bioshock 2 to have a multiplayer component

• 55 results
    ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZombieJesus

According to N4G.com  this was revealed on a recent job listing on gamasutra.com . Link.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By brukaoru

R.I.P Bioshock.

Wasn't expecting much from the sequel but this pretty much kills any hope that it'll be good for me.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

Wasn't expecting much from the sequel but this pretty much kills any hope that it'll be good for me."
    Don't mind her, she's probably all drugged up on killing babies and weed.

The next Bioshock will be good!
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By clarke0

Multiplayer in Bioshock? Did they really think this over?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Hamz

BioShock had a great single player experience in every aspect except for its gameplay. What worries me about adding multiplayer to Sea of Dreams is that they won't improve the single player gameplay experience much if any at all and instead will have some half assed multiplayer feature.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By daz0608

I really hoped that they wern't going to do this, and they just made another amazing single player game, but I guess that's what happens when money becomes the main priority when making a game.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Hopefully it will be a co operative mode and not a competitive one.
    tokyochicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By tokyochicken

Hm, I agree with the guy above me, I really don't know if a competitive bioshock mode will be fun, the game didn't seem to have a lot of focus on the whole shooting aspect of the game for it to hold up in multiplayer

Ashibaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ashibaka

Don't know how that will work, but I am curious. And very cautious.

daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daz0608
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "Hopefully it will be a co operative mode and not a competitive one. "
    I think that would be worse you would lose any tension the game could have had, it needs to stay single player
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I hope the game tanks.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Daz0608 said:
    "DirrtyNinja said:
    I think that would be worse you would lose any tension the game could have had, it needs to stay single player"
    Now thats bollocks. Alot of it.
    Thecookiejar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Thecookiejar

A mode where one player is a big daddy and the rest have to work together to bring him down might be kinda cool

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By Snail
    brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

Wasn't expecting much from the sequel but this pretty much kills any hope that it'll be good for me."
    It can be as good or even better than the first one plus multiplayer. What the fuck is up with you?
    ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By ZombiePie

Hey even if the multiplayer isn't good as long as the single player is good I'll be fine. But I think if done correctly I think that there is potential for a good multiplayer game. Shocking other players in water as they're shooting you sounds interesting.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By jeff

Not really. Or, at least, there's not enough info there to determine one way or the other.

Remember, BioShock 2 isn't being made by the BioShock team. It's coming out of 2K Marin. Ken Levine is supposedly onto something else, last rumored to be a new X-Com.
    Thecookiejar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thecookiejar

All hail jeff

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Gargantuan
    Jeff said:
    "Not really. Or, at least, there's not enough info there to determine one way or the other.
    Remember, BioShock 2 isn't being made by the BioShock team. It's coming out of 2K Marin. Ken Levine is supposedly onto something else, last rumored to be a new X-Com.
    "
    Really? I love X-Com: UFO Defence! It's definitely one of the best games ever.

On topic: Multiplayer in BioShock is just wrong...
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PercyChuggs

So? Nobody is going to force any of you to play multiplayer Bioshock. The Darkness had MP, and it was still a pretty damn fine single player game.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cheapoz

Ugh, the 'internet backlack' begins on even Bioshock, just because they announced a multi? Seriously?

BioShock was a great single player, but with the varying plasmids and weapons I thought it could've made a ripping multiplayer. You could set different players as different classes using different abilities. It would have to be separate to the main story line, but a fun competitive world set in the Bioshockverse could be sweet.
    wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By wrecks

I would like to see a stand alone multiplayer set in the Bioshock universe, as well as a seperate dedicated single player sequel. Won't happen, but one can dream.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru
    Snail said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

It can be as good or even better than the first one plus multiplayer. What the fuck is up with you?"
    I have a different opinion than you? I don't have high hopes for a sequel to a game that pretty much had it's story wrapped up in the first game I don't see where they could go with it in terms of the storyline, I also don't see how multi-player could work. Can it be good? Yes, but I personally don't think it will be on par with the first game. I would love to be proven wrong though... Plus this fact:

Jeff
    said:
    "Remember, BioShock 2 isn't being made by the BioShock team. It's coming out of 2K Marin. Ken Levine is supposedly onto something else, last rumored to be a new X-Com."
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Snail
    brukaoru said:
    "Snail said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

It can be as good or even better than the first one plus multiplayer. What the fuck is up with you?"
    I have a different opinion than you? I don't have high hopes for a sequel to a game that pretty much had it's story wrapped up in the first game I don't see where they could go with it in terms of the storyline, I also don't see how multi-player could work. Can it be good? Yes, but I personally don't think it will be on par with the first game. I would love to be proven wrong though... Plus this fact:

Jeff
    said:
    "Remember, BioShock 2 isn't being made by the BioShock team. It's coming out of 2K Marin. Ken Levine is supposedly onto something else, last rumored to be a new X-Com."
    "
    Ah, so that's your issue. The multiplayer would not affect the single-player gameplay, don't blame it in the multi-player, even if it will probably be lame.

I think of this as a COD: WaW, made on the CoD 4 engine by a lamer team.
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daz0608
    Snail said:
    Ah, so that's your issue. The multiplayer would not affect the single-player gameplay, don't blame it in the multi-player, even if it will probably be lame.
    Of course Multiplayer would affect gameplay, think of all that time/money being put in to multiplayer that could have been used on Singleplayer, the only reason it is in there is to put another bullet point on the back of the box so 2K can make as much money as possible
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By BoG
    brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

I'm in the same boat, had no expectations, and now there is no hope I ever will. 
    Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lieutenant
    Daz0608 said:
    "DirrtyNinja said:
    I think that would be worse you would lose any tension the game could have had, it needs to stay single player"
    Bioshock 1 had tension to begin with? Maybe with those chambers turned off but it was a rather easy stress free game even on the hardest difficulty.
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daz0608
    Lieutenant said:
    "Daz0608 said:
    "DirrtyNinja said:
    Bioshock 1 had tension to begin with? Maybe with those chambers turned off but it was a rather easy stress free game on the hardest difficulty."
    Maybe tension was the wrong word, but definitely the atmosphere and imersion the game had
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't know if multiplayer Bioshock is a good thing, but we can all rest assured that if this one fails, the chances of this "quadtrilogy" or whatever they are planning diminishes. And this is coming from someone who hailed Bioshock 1 as their GOTY of 2007.

Avatar image for deactivated-618a95e831da7
    deactivated-618a95e831da7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if any of you tried it, but System Shock 2 had online co-op for the whole story.  It appeared spontaneously in a patch, which I thought odd.  Having to share loot was hardly game-ruining and these days you could easily throw in a different radio message here and there that refers to two people.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MKHavoc

I don't know why they feel that a game like Bioshock would need multiplayer.  It just won't work.  This seems like a bit of a desperate move, hopefully they can pull it off.  I thought Bioshock was the best game of 2007, I'm still looking forward to the sequel.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By jakob187

HOLD THE FUCK UP, PEOPLE!!!

Before you all start freaking the hell out and causing backlash over something that YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IN ACTION YET, let's look at some of the things that have already been said in this thread a little closer.

1.  I gotta say something about your comment, Jeff.  You mentioned that 2K Marin is working on this game and not the original Bioshock team.  However, 2K Marin was actually founded by members of the original Bioshock team.  Therefore, while the entire team may not be there, it doesn't mean that there aren't some members working in that studio.

2.  Obviously, we've got a lot of backlash in here about a multiplayer component being added to the game.  However, how many of you remember when Bioshock was coming out and Levine was saying that he would've liked to put a multiplayer component in the game but couldn't find a way to do it that he liked?  Anyone?  Therefore, it's not like this is a brand new idea.  I've already heard people here at the gaming center say "oh, it's a cop out to get more sales".  Really?  Is that how this is going to be viewed?  It's a shitty way of viewing it, I think.

3.  Snijglau brings up a GREAT point about SS2 having online co-op, and you know what?  That worked quite well and still kept the tension up.  Therefore, why wouldn't it work with Bioshock 2?  There could be some incredibly tense moments in the game for something like that, like splitting the two of you up and making you go down different paths to get back to each other.

4.  Cheapoz has a GREAT point about competitive online multiplayer.  With all the plasmids, tonics, and upgrades to weaponry featured in the first game, it's almost absurd to think that they couldn't use these types of things to an advantage in multiplayer components of Bioshock 2.  I think the only real concern would be maps and how they would be laid out.  It seems a bit difficult to make good multiplayer maps that would work within the Bioshock universe.  However, I'm sure that something could be done to make it work well.

I'm completely open-minded to the idea of a multiplayer component in Bioshock 2, as they could really do some interesting stuff to change up how multiplayer is viewed on the consoles.  It doesn't have to be straight-up deathmatches.  Left 4 Dead doesn't have leaderboards or any type of ranking system, and it doesn't necessarily follow the typical multiplayer formula.  However, it's one of the coolest multiplayer experiences that we've seen in a while...and it's tense as Hell!!!  Therefore, what's to say that the same couldn't be done with Bioshock 2?

So FFS, stop condemning it before we know more about it already.  Geez.  I understand the need to defend something that you cherish, but sometimes, things need to grow up.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By pause422
    brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

Yeah, exactly. It never needed a sequel to begin with, and with the team of 2k Boston not working on the second(even tho as I said i didn't want a sequel) that guaranteed my loss of interest for it already. However, adding multiplayer ..to Bioshock? Yeah, no thanks.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
    pause422 said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

Yeah, exactly. It never needed a sequel to begin with, and with the team of 2k Boston not working on the second(even tho as I said i didn't want a sequel) that guaranteed my loss of interest for it already. However, adding multiplayer ..to Bioshock? Yeah, no thanks."
    GRRRR!!!!  2K MARIN IS A STUDIO FOUNDED BY MEMBERS OF THE BIOSHOCK FUCKING TEAM!!!  MY GOD, PEOPLE, STOP PUTTING OUT ALL THIS MISINFORMATION!!!
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Still hope it tanks. Bioshock's team is a bunch of arrogant fucks.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ieatlions

i would like a horde like level.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Still hope it tanks. Bioshock's team is a bunch of arrogant fucks."
    Really?  I thought they were a team that was recognized as one of the best development teams for years, making games like System Shock and System Shock 2, Freedom Force, and of course, the critically and commercially acclaimed Bioshock.  In that right, then yeah...maybe they are arrogant fucks...and maybe they've earned the right to be.  =  /
    CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CreamyGoodness

dam. they could maybe pull it off but how would it work. co-op would be nice. but competetative, RIP bioshock

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187

I can't wait to hear all of you saying
    I can't wait to hear all of you saying "dood, the multiplayer on this is going to be awesome"...because I'm going to rub this thread in your faces.
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pibo47
    brukaoru said:
    "R.I.P Bioshock.

Same here, personally i think they shouldnt have made a sequel...but here it comes...
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jakob187

Well, at least bru, Pibo, and BoG are staying consistent in their viewpoints...  =  /

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Really?  I thought they were a team that was recognized as one of the best development teams for years, making games like System Shock and System Shock 2, Freedom Force, and of course, the critically and commercially acclaimed Bioshock.  In that right, then yeah...maybe they are arrogant fucks...and maybe they've earned the right to be.  =  /"
    Hey man, Shiggy Miyamoto bikes to work, and Sid Meier has never said a word of arrogance about his position that I've read.
    The Objectivism has gone straight to their heads.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    Really?  I thought they were a team that was recognized as one of the best development teams for years, making games like System Shock and System Shock 2, Freedom Force, and of course, the critically and commercially acclaimed Bioshock.  In that right, then yeah...maybe they are arrogant fucks...and maybe they've earned the right to be.  =  /"
    Hey man, Shiggy Miyamoto bikes to work, and Sid Meier has never said a word of arrogance about his position that I've read.
    The Objectivism has gone straight to their heads."
    Shiggy also doesn't really do anything to make his games new and fresh, and Sid Meier has...2 franchises that are worth mentioning (Civilization and Pirates), both of which haven't had massive changes from their base formula?  Therefore, I'm sure the Objectivism hasn't gone to their heads - simply the fact that they can make people pay money over and over for what is essentially an updated product...ya know, like Madden.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    Shiggy also doesn't really do anything to make his games new and fresh, and Sid Meier has...2 franchises that are worth mentioning (Civilization and Pirates), both of which haven't had massive changes from their base formula?  Therefore, I'm sure the Objectivism hasn't gone to their heads - simply the fact that they can make people pay money over and over for what is essentially an updated product...ya know, like Madden."
    Dude, Sid Meier has never been behind a bad game. and Miyamoto is the legend of the industry. In fact, of the entire game development community, there's probably three legends: Miyamoto, Meier and Wright. None of them are as cocky as what I've seen from these 2K assclowns. Maybe I'm overreacting, but the Bioshock team has said the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life, so I'm quick to judge.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    Shiggy also doesn't really do anything to make his games new and fresh, and Sid Meier has...2 franchises that are worth mentioning (Civilization and Pirates), both of which haven't had massive changes from their base formula?  Therefore, I'm sure the Objectivism hasn't gone to their heads - simply the fact that they can make people pay money over and over for what is essentially an updated product...ya know, like Madden."
    Dude, Sid Meier has never been behind a bad game. and Miyamoto is the legend of the industry. In fact, of the entire game development community, there's probably three legends: Miyamoto, Meier and Wright. None of them are as cocky as what I've seen from these 2K assclowns. Maybe I'm overreacting, but the Bioshock team has said the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life, so I'm quick to judge."
    Maybe I'm just predispositioned by the fact that I've talked to the Bioshock team back before they were called the Bioshock team...back when I knew them as the Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich and The Lost team.  Levine is worthy of being right up there with the three guys you listed, but again...I'll be honest - the three guys you listed are simply riding the same shit over and over.  While I'm aware that Levine is not currently a part of Bioshock 2, that doesn't mean he didn't mentor these doods to make sure they develop quality products every time.
    Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lieutenant
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    but the Bioshock team has said the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life, so I'm quick to judge.
    "
    What did they say? Got me curious now
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Bioshock 2 will also add a Cash-In-Franchise component.  I hear that's a new fad now when you make something significant. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Lieutenant said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    but the Bioshock team has said the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life, so I'm quick to judge.
    "
    What did they say? Got me curious now"
    Well, they've said multiple things that just scream cocky. Stuff like, " Bioshock 2 was destined for the Xbox 360 and PS3," and "The Bioshock movie will coincide with the release of Bioshock 3 (stated early 2008)." 
    I think it's retarded to make plans for spinoff content to be released alongside a game that hasn't even had its predecessor announced yet.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Lieutenant said:
    "What did they say? Got me curious now"
    Well, they've said multiple things that just scream cocky. Stuff like, " Bioshock 2 was destined for the Xbox 360 and PS3," and "The Bioshock movie will coincide with the release of Bioshock 3 (stated early 2008)." 
    I think it's retarded to make plans for spinoff content to be released alongside a game that hasn't even had its predecessor announced yet."
    Wait, wait.  So what other console would Bioshock be going to?  To me, I would expect that Bioshock 2 is destined for the 360 and PS3.  How is that cocky?  That's just common sense.
    And the movie is expected to coincide with the release of Bioshock 3, as it was stated by 2K some time back that they were making Bioshock a major franchise under their umbrella.  The movie is expected to release sometime in 2010 - 2011, which would put it right in the same place as...Bioshock 3?

I don't think any of that is cocky.  I think that is simply ambitious thinking based on extreme past success.  =  /
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Well, if Bioshock 2 tanks, you'll be singing a different tune, and planning Bioshock 3 and the movie to tie in with it would seem cocky and stupid. That's why I want it to tank.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.