More BioShock 2 Viral Marketing Hits Our Desks

Posted by Brad (3215 posts) -

This oh-so-mysterious packet arrived in our office today, indicating 2K Games has extended BioShock 2's viral marketing campaign from the web to the United States Postal Service.

It looks like they actually took the time to singe the edges of the second picture with real, honest-to-goodness fire, considering the paper sort of crumbled and fell apart when I took it out of the envelope. A for effort, guys. The crayon drawing of the Big Sister is kind of neat, and it's at least cool to see 2K developing the background fiction of this sequel--even if we're not entirely sold yet on the direction that fiction is going. See the following video for more.

#1 Posted by Brad (3215 posts) -

This oh-so-mysterious packet arrived in our office today, indicating 2K Games has extended BioShock 2's viral marketing campaign from the web to the United States Postal Service.

It looks like they actually took the time to singe the edges of the second picture with real, honest-to-goodness fire, considering the paper sort of crumbled and fell apart when I took it out of the envelope. A for effort, guys. The crayon drawing of the Big Sister is kind of neat, and it's at least cool to see 2K developing the background fiction of this sequel--even if we're not entirely sold yet on the direction that fiction is going. See the following video for more.

#2 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

thats a pretty cool tactic

#3 Posted by okuzy (137 posts) -

the second one is true marketing for ya

#4 Posted by Double0hFor (410 posts) -

niiiiiiice

#5 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I'd love to have that drawing...

#6 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Although the original Bioshock frustrated the fuck out of me, I'll probably pick this one up. Or rent it. Maybe rent it.

#7 Posted by AuthenticM (3761 posts) -

I can't decipher the signature.

#8 Posted by Shoraine (17 posts) -

That's a really interesting way to market a game. I loved the original Bioshock so I'm stoked for this one :)

#9 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

The letter mentions "HER", which can only be referring to the ultimate BIG MAMA. OH YEAH. STEP ASIDE, LIL DADDY!

#10 Edited by mordukai (7157 posts) -
@End_Boss said:
" Although the original Bioshock frustrated the fuck out of me, I'll probably pick this one up. Or rent it. Maybe rent it. "
Kinda been skeptic about the game myself since I learned that Ken Levine has nothing to do with it and only four people from the original development team are working on the sequel. But look at the God of War series, every game had a different game director and every one of them toped it's predecessor. 
I will rent the game first and if I'll like as much as the first one then I'll buy it. 

P.S - I really want to know what frustrated you about the original Bioshock?, Have you ever played System Shock 2?
#11 Posted by Lies (3867 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @End_Boss said:
" Although the original Bioshock frustrated the fuck out of me, I'll probably pick this one up. Or rent it. Maybe rent it. "
Kinda been skeptic about the game myself since I learned that Ken Levine has nothing to do with it and only four people from the original development team are working on the sequel. But look at the God of War series, every game had a different game director and every one of them toped it's predecessor. 
I will rent the game first and if I'll like as much as the first one then I'll buy it. 

P.S - I really want to know what frustrated you about the original Bioshock?, Have you ever played System Shock 2?
"
The guy who designed Fort Frolic is the lead designer.

The guy. Who Designed. Fort Frolic.

Designed Fort Frolic.

FORT FROLIC

#12 Posted by Doomguy (17 posts) -

Bioshock was great but I only played it the once. The sequel needs more replay value, and less of those mini games where you divert the water around the pipes. Oh yeah and a better last boss.

#13 Posted by TheClap (538 posts) -

Hmm, who is the chick in blue on the right?

#14 Posted by mordukai (7157 posts) -
@Lies: What level did the guy design?
#15 Edited by jakob187 (21691 posts) -

Cool beans.

Also, why is everyone STILL hating on this game?  What, does it have to offer free blowjobs for people to approve?  I remember when everyone kept saying "there shouldn't be a sequel to System Shock"...

...and then the world hailed System Shock 2 as one of the best games ever made.  -_-

@Lies said:
"The guy who designed Fort Frolic is the lead designer.

Designed Fort Frolic.

FORT FROLIC

"
Are you saying this like it's a BAD thing?  Fort Frolic was probably one of the most memorable areas to me.
#16 Posted by Player1 (3876 posts) -

That is awesome. 

#17 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I wanna ride a whale.

#18 Posted by Kinggi (282 posts) -

game will be badass awesome to the MAX!

#19 Edited by goodwood (600 posts) -
@AuthenticM said:
" I can't decipher the signature. "
check out the top of the fourth picture the name is there. Mark Meltzer or something like that.
#20 Posted by OptimusPrime (81 posts) -

i haven't been to  www.theressomethinginthesea.com  for ages now

#21 Posted by OptimusPrime (81 posts) -

wow, ignore that link. i obviously forgot the url. my bad.

#22 Posted by cyrax (205 posts) -

The video overlaps the pictures when I enlarge them.
FF 3.0.10

#23 Posted by MadeinFinland (839 posts) -
@Mordukai said:

Designed Fort Frolic.

FORT FROLIC

"
I loved Fort Frolic.
#24 Posted by artofwar420 (6295 posts) -

Nice discussion there.

#25 Posted by Reverseface (1221 posts) -

Snoop dogg once said ..... BLAZE IT UP! BLAZE IT UP!

#26 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -

I think it is pretty inventive.

#27 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

I demand more videos like this.

#28 Posted by Nat3TheGreat13 (260 posts) -

I don't know why but I'm not as excited for bioshock 2 as I was for Bioshock.

#29 Posted by theMcNasty (740 posts) -

Wasn't this video linked in a story earlier this week?

Why don't you guys go to the wine bar and chat again?

#30 Edited by jacobshock (10 posts) -
@Lies said:
" @Mordukai said:
" @End_Boss said:

"

Designed Fort Frolic.

FORT FROLIC

"
Fort Frolic you say?
#31 Posted by Media_Master (3283 posts) -

odd stuff, but neat!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.