Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

New Details (some plot related spoilers, be warned)

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Steve_C

So gamespot scored a hot exclusive on Bioshock 2, which can be read here.

So the details:

• The game is set 10 years after the original Bioshock.
    • One of the rescued little sisters from the first game is a bit screwed up and never wanted to leave rapture. So she goes missing, going back to Rapture and ultimately becoming the 'big sister'. Cue string of kidnappings, which brings the reintroduction of little sisters and somewhat revival of the city.
    • You play as the first 'prototype' Big Daddy (maybe the last one alive?), which seems to have been in some sort of hibernation for whatever reason, once again reactivated by Dr. Tenenbaum to help out the sisters and sort shit out.
    • Apparently the big sister could be working for someone else, who in turn could be working for someone else. Interesting.
    • Old locations may be revisted in their aged state, as well as introducing new areas of course.
    • Underwater areas outside rapture essentially act as a breather, to take in the views of the city without the threat of splicers.
    • Little sisters first act friendly towards you unlike the original, you being a big daddy and all. You have to option to harvest them or adopt them.
    • If you adopt them they'll sit on your shoulder and you'll get enhanced vision, being able to see sources of ADAM. If you take them there, the little sister will harvest the ADAM for you to use. Doing so will attract heat from the splicers however, so you'd best be ready to kick some ass and protect her.
    • Weapons will include heavier weapons as seen in the original like the drill and rivet gun, though they may be slightly different, as well as new stuff. The weapons can be upgraded too.
    • Plasmids have more powerful versions still, but now they can be charged up for stronger attacks and combined too (incinerate and cyclone for instance forms a fiery tornado trap).
    • The big sister also makes apparent use of plasmids herself, being able to throw things around telekinetically.
    • More normal NPC's, who aren't completely screwed up like everyone else, will be present to interact with. There will be some choices regarding these people which can affect the story.
    • Throughout the game you'll learn more about Rapture before, during, and after the original game. It sounds like you'll find out about your own origins too; your past life before becoming a big daddy and maybe how that process occurred.

Final thoughts: Still sounds hot. It seems like they've been expanding on some of the concepts in the first game, as well as introducing new things. More fleshing out of the story and Rapture is always good too. I'm looking forward to it.

What does eveyone else think?
    BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By BoG

It looks like the Big Daddy you play as is the orignal big daddy, the prototype, who just happened to be a whole lot faster than the others, and has the ability to weild and blend plasmids. Not sure why they downgraded the final model. I also don't think the new moral choice is as good as the previous game. Now, for being good, you get expanded vision and your little sister will gather ADAM as you go along along, so you'll get a whole lot more. The whole kidnapping dynamic seems funny, too. They also allude to a plot twist that twists before twisting again, which really could end up falling flat. I really hope they do a good job of explaining everything, because so far it seems... lame, to be honest with you. 

I'll likely still buy it and play through, but I'm not exactly excited about the whole "ok, now let's make it a trilogy" thing. It didn't bode well for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and I think it will be worse for Bioshock.
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Eelcire

Great, thanks for the details! I am not a big FPS guy, but Bioshock ranks as one of my favorite games now and I am stoked about Bioshock 2. At first I was skeptical and would've rather they left the series alone since it was so self-contained, but it seems like 2K is really trying to flesh out the story of Bioshock in a coherent manner. Can't wait for E3!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Karmum

I'm still skeptic on this game, because the original gameplay footage we saw looked very like the first Bioshock. Being able to turn on the Little Sisters (this time as Big Daddy, though), could potentially be interesting. I wonder if your drill will play a part in harvesting the Little Sisters? I think combinding plasmids as the opportunity to make the game easier, with certain combonations, of course. Aside from that, I just don't really know how this is going to turn out, and I hope it doesn't suck.

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Carlos1408

I'm quite hyped for this game, looking forward to it and finding out more about Rapture, it was a great game! :)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64

I'm very excited about this game.  Really haven't played the first Bioshock since I beat it, which was around the time when the game first came out.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Steve_C
    BoG said:
    "It looks like the Big Daddy you play as is the orignal big daddy, the prototype, who just happened to be a whole lot faster than the others, and has the ability to weild and blend plasmids. Not sure why they downgraded the final model. I also don't think the new moral choice is as good as the previous game. Now, for being good, you get expanded vision and your little sister will gather ADAM as you go along along, so you'll get a whole lot more. The whole kidnapping dynamic seems funny, too. They also allude to a plot twist that twists before twisting again, which really could end up falling flat. I really hope they do a good job of explaining everything, because so far it seems... lame, to be honest with you. 
    I'll likely still buy it and play through, but I'm not exactly excited about the whole "ok, now let's make it a trilogy" thing. It didn't bode well for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and I think it will be worse for Bioshock.
    "
    I don't mind. I found the moral choices in the original to be kind of shallow. I first played through good, but when i started harvesting them in my second playthrough, they censor out the actual process so it never felt like i had done something really brutal and wrong. I'm hoping the choices regarding the little sisters in addition to the NPCs will make it a little more dynamic with a greater range of outcomes.

I feel like the slower big daddies were because the original was too powerful and not as easy to control, so they introduced limitations on the mass produced kind.

At the very least, i appreciate it that they're taking the original seriously and are trying to do this new one justice as a game on its own, trying to add to the universe, rather than just a straight cash-in.
    Just as an aside, i'm curious if the vitachambers return so i can abuse them, or what route they go for if not.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Hamz

Not sure how I feel about playing a Big Daddy that uses plasmids. That feels more like a gimmick than it does something that needed to be added into the game.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BoG
    Steve_C said:
    "BoG said:
    "It looks like the Big Daddy you play as is the orignal big daddy, the prototype, who just happened to be a whole lot faster than the others, and has the ability to weild and blend plasmids. Not sure why they downgraded the final model. I also don't think the new moral choice is as good as the previous game. Now, for being good, you get expanded vision and your little sister will gather ADAM as you go along along, so you'll get a whole lot more. The whole kidnapping dynamic seems funny, too. They also allude to a plot twist that twists before twisting again, which really could end up falling flat. I really hope they do a good job of explaining everything, because so far it seems... lame, to be honest with you. 
    "
    I don't mind. I found the moral choices in the original to be kind of shallow. I first played through good, but when i started harvesting them in my second playthrough, they censor out the actual process so it never felt like i had done something really brutal and wrong. I'm hoping the choices regarding the little sisters in addition to the NPCs will make it a little more dynamic with a greater range of outcomes.I feel like the slower big daddies were because the original was too powerful and not as easy to control, so they introduced limitations on the mass produced kind.At the very least, i appreciate it that they're taking the original seriously and are trying to do this new one justice as a game on its own, trying to add to the universe, rather than just a straight cash-in.Just as an aside, i'm curious if the vitachambers return so i can abuse them, or what route they go for if not."
    I agree that the moral choices in the original were shallow, but now they lack anything remotely resembling substance. There seems to be really no cost/benefit this time around. How do you think the range of outcomes will be exapnded?

We discussed this Big Daddy thing in the IRC, and if you observe the original, the Bag Daddies don't need to be controlled, and they're already quite powerful as is. They can take on a whole gang of splicers, and no matter what, they do their brainwashed duty. In this game, you're apparently doing the same thing. 

Once again, I compare it to the Pirates trilogy. They took that pretty serious too.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Steve_C
    BoG said:
    I agree that the moral choices in the original were shallow, but now they lack anything remotely resembling substance. There seems to be really no cost/benefit this time around. How do you think the range of outcomes will be exapnded?

We discussed this Big Daddy thing in the IRC, and if you observe the original, the Bag Daddies don't need to be controlled, and they're already quite powerful as is. They can take on a whole gang of splicers, and no matter what, they do their brainwashed duty. In this game, you're apparently doing the same thing. 

Once again, I compare it to the Pirates trilogy. They took that pretty serious too.
    "
    I think it's a little unfair to assume that the moral decisions won't be fleshed out more. In the first game you were ultimately rewarded with more ADAM even if you chose to save the little sisters. It was just a case of getting an instant hit vs. waiting a bit longer, and it ultimately didn't prove to be too crucial since you had infinite respawns, making the use of plasmids not very important.
    EDIT: I forgot to add that when little sisters are harvesting ADAM for you after you've adopted them, you'll be facing more enemies too as it attracts splicers. Depending on if you can freely respawn in this game, you might not feel compelled to deal with the trouble if you're low on health and would rather get the ADAM then and there. I do feel that the vitachambers changed the dynamic of the first game, moreso than just making it easy.

There are more NPC's that you can interact with, and there are supposed to be some choices regarding them which can affect the story too. The original had ending a,b, and c, and it was pretty obvious at the time that it would affect something. Even if it ends up with the choice of ending a, b, c, d ,e and f, it provides a little variety if nothing else.

The big daddies could cope in the original, but they were pretty subservient, brainwashed like you said, and just cared about the little sisters and nothing else. From the footage, it seems like you have a greater intellectual capacity and free-will, with tenenbaum talking to you, rather than just giving commands or whatever. So maybe the only difference between the prototype and the normal big daddies is their level of intelligence and not just their actual strength. I imagine that it will be explained in the sequel.

To speculate, since you - the protoype big daddy - have only just been woken up, maybe there was some accident in the past which you'll find out about. That's why you were essentially shut down and big daddies needed to become 'brainwashed', to help prevent it from happening again, only to be woken years later when you really are needed. In the original game, the big daddy conversion process was said to be irreversible, but maybe that reffered only to the effects of the brainwashing.
    Avatar image for babyfart_mcgeezaks
    BabyFart_McGeezaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yea like hamzburger said this game looks gimmicky

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By FlipperDesert

Looks nicer than I imagined for a Bioshock sequel, but no PC version?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

Sounds like a good chunk of storytelling.  I don't understand why so many people have so much hesitation about this game.  It's Bioshock fucking 2!!!  The first was AMAZING!  How could anyone expect anything less from Bioshock 2?  They obviously saw that Bioshock wasn't broke...so they don't need to fix anything.  All they are doing is adding to the world that we were given, as well as offering another perspective.

People are treating this like it's gonna be Devil May Cry 2 or something...  =  /
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Steve_C
    FlipperDesert said:
    "Looks nicer than I imagined for a Bioshock sequel, but no PC version?"
    I think they will do one. Gamespot seem to have a space for the pc version too. It seems like a no brainer if they're creating the xbox 360 version, as to my understanding its relatively easy to port over.

I'm not sure if it would be released simultaneously as the console verisons, but it'll no doubt look a bit nicer too.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By FlipperDesert
    Steve_C said:
    "FlipperDesert said:
    "Looks nicer than I imagined for a Bioshock sequel, but no PC version?"
    I think they will do one. Gamespot seem to have a space for the pc version too. It seems like a no brainer if they're creating the xbox 360 version, as to my understanding its relatively easy to port over.I'm not sure if it would be released simultaneously as the console verisons, but it'll no doubt look a bit nicer too."
    Hm. They only mentioned the PS3 and Xbox at the end of the video though. I like acheivments anyway.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hamz

BioShock 2 is coming out on the PC, PS3 and 360. As far as I am aware.

The one thing I am really looking forward to in this game is to see how they fix the general combat and gameplay aside from allowing you to use Plasmids in combination with each other and different weapons at the same time. BioShock's biggest failing was it really became a very 'rinse and repeat' style of gameplay from early on which in combination with the more linear aspect of the game was a little disheartening when everything else about it was absolutely superb.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain_Fookup

System Shock 2 underwater as a Big Daddy, yawn.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Steve_C
    Hamz said:
    "BioShock 2 is coming out on the PC, PS3 and 360. As far as I am aware.The one thing I am really looking forward to in this game is to see how they fix the general combat and gameplay aside from allowing you to use Plasmids in combination with each other and different weapons at the same time. BioShock's biggest failing was it really became a very 'rinse and repeat' style of gameplay from early on which in combination with the more linear aspect of the game was a little disheartening when everything else about it was absolutely superb."
    I have to agree with you there. I didn't really find the feel of the combat to be very satisfying.
    What interested me in that video (around 9:30) is that being a big daddy and obviously strong, the clip shows off you scaring away a splicer by spinning the drill at them. I wonder if there will be some sort of mob dynamic where you may be able to avoid fights and scare away individual splicers, but then if there is a group of them they'll be willing to challenge you.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187

Can I just say...THAT MUSIC IS FUCKING EPIC?!?!?!  My God, I wanna play this game so bad now!!!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By RHCPfan24

Looks like it is going to be good. The inclusion of "choice-driven" NPC's has me a bit skeptical, but they handled the Little Sister choices well in the first, so this will probably just be an extension of that. I am very excited for this....I am trying to ignore the negative chatter.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fraser

Hogarth De Le Plante?

What a name

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Snipzor

Okay, I'm no longer worried about the game. It looks quite good.

IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By IVIorpheus

I wonder how they'll balance out the power issues. The Big Daddy's of the first game were absolute powerhouses, flattening anything in their path. What sort of enemies will they dream up can take on such a thing. Plus, the character can use plasmids, another notch of power....

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Pibo47

NO! All lies. This game does not exist!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.