Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock 2

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Feb 09, 2010

Ten years after the events of the first game, Subject Delta is awoken and must unravel the mystery behind the Big Sisters and his own past in the ruined underwater city of Rapture.

Sequel or Prequel?

• 71 results
    Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Superchris129

Do we know yet if this game is going to be a Sequel or a Prequel? If not, I hope it's a Prequel, I don't want to continue a game where I killed a dozen little girls...

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Termite

I think it will be a prequel as well...what else can they do with that story?

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By xplodedd

We don't know yet as they have announced nothing of this game.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Joru

A prequel would be better since there are more interesting events possible and I would love to see Rapture as it was before those accidents, but if they think of a cool direction to take the story to I think a sequel would be great too, we'll see where they go with it.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By suneku

Yeah i'd love a prequel, something around the beginning of when Rapture went straight to hell

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

Prequel would make more sense. To be honest I don't care; I'm just glad they're making another one.

Brucie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Brucie

Yeah I wanna play as Andrew Ryan

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By CoinMatze

It must be a prequel. There are only two possible scenarios for a sequel: Since Rapture is destroyed there would be another underwater city which is just lame or they would bring Bioshock to the surface which wouldn't be Bioshock. I'm not against it, I just don't think they could pull off the latter, so yeah, prequel set during the fall of Rapture.

Orakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Orakk

Prequel! Nuff' said :D.

-Orakk

NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NeoTheta

As pretty much everybody has said, I too think a sequel would be the best course for BioShock 2. There's over a decade of backstory they explore, and give the player a much deeper understanding of the whole world. I think a good way to do this would be to show Rapture the day before open war broke out. Everything's normal, people going about their business, stores and shops running normally. Then, show the new year's eve attack through the eyes of someone that experienced it. I think that would really give a greater sense of all the types of people that lived in rapture.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By trulyalive

I'm not a big fan of the prequel idea. A big part of Bioshock, for me anyway, was hearing these audio tapes and constructing Rapture in my head. If they presented pre-war Rapture to me in a game, I'd just be like "Oh, well, thanks, I guess."
    I just don't see why a Bioshock game has to be limited specifically to Rapture. I mean, you may think it'd be absurd to have it anywhere else, but an underwater utopia in the 60's is hardly the most sound concept ever constructed by human minds and they somehow managed to pull it off. Hopefully, if their history is anything to go by, they'll disapear for a while and suddenly show up with something that blows our freakin' minds, sequel or prequel, whatever.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By DarkLegend

Prequel, I prefer back story.

aliensexist4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By aliensexist4

I guess I had been hoping for a sequel but considering that I don't really care what happens to our protagonist from the original as much as what happens to Rapture, I'd rather play a prequel as Andrew Ryan or someone else who still has the use of plasmids.  Whatever it is, there just better be more Rapture or else I'll be upset. It is the best game environment ever.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By twenty0ne

I'd prefer a prequel. Seeing Rapture before things went to hell would be great.

Hilit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Hilit

I don't think it needs to have any ties to the previous game at all. Sort of like how the Final Fantasy games are not tied together by any direct plot threads despite the numbering suggesting so.

I'd rather Ken Levine just let his imagination run wild again and not be constrained by the world of Bioshock 1.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By epic_pets

I would want a prequel alot more then a sequel

ledzep528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ledzep528

Well nothing has been said, but i hope its a prequel. and they can't really make a sequel because the story ends completely at the end of Bioshock1.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deskp

i would want a prewuel, so that our character could maybe soemtimes have friends on hes team x]

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I'm pretty sure they said it was a prequel.

Ryan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ryan_

but if it's a prequel you can't have any new plasmids because there would be no way to explain where they went

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By brukaoru
    Superchris129 said:
    "Do we know yet if this game is going to be a Sequel or a Prequel? If not, I hope it's a Prequel, I don't want to continue a game where I killed a dozen little girls..."
    I feel the same way. I believe it will be a prequel, however they have already said there will be a Bioshock 3, when they said the movie was being made. :( I really am not looking forward to these prequels/sequels, I really think they'll take the spirit of what made Bioshock good and remove it.
    lakeport_abe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lakeport_abe

it should be a sequel set in the far future on-board a star cruiser named rapture that has been taken over by an evil AI haha ;)

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By trulyalive

But wouldn't that just be System Shock Tw--
    Oh. Wait. I see what you did there! ^_^;

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hazelnutman

If it was a sequel, imagine a completely screwed up and ancient world of Rapture. I mean, older than it is now.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ma7moud

Prequel. I want to know more about Atlas and why is he special ?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pause422

I'm actually pretty sure at one point someone at 2k did confirm that it was definitely a prequel.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By SSbabel

In my opinion i would rather a prequal, one that develops the story about the buildung process of the city and the leading up to the fucked up people.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By gamer_152

Everybody's been saying prequel and I'd like to see one too, but I t'hink they might be able to do some kind of sequel if they take it from the perspective of another person, they've got a good writer.

kilzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kilzombie

Hmm, I'd like to see a prequel, like it could be set in rapture around the time where things started to go wrong and you'd learn why/how, obviously you'd be a different character. Because I don't see how they could make a sequel.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AaronBelfast

Of course it will be a prequel. What else can they do?

jlaudio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jlaudio7

It will most likely be a prequel. I don't see how its possible to make a sequel.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RobDaFunk

How about a Sequel where Rapture gets left alone for another 30 or 40 years and then a team stumbles on it after 40 years of evolution in its broken state??  Rapture was a Big place, surely other areas of it can be explored??

just throwin' it out there........ ;)

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Warfare

I hope it's a Prequel.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#35  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd prefer a sequel.  As someone already mentioned, I like to let my mind imagine what Rapture would have been like.  A sequel could possible see someone rebuilding Rapture, or a variant of it.  I'd love to see a city similar to Rapture both in and out of the water.  Or perhaps move the idea of an ideal city to a deserted island or an entirely underground area.  The claustrophobia potentials there are pretty unlimited, though it wouldn't hold the strange beauty of the underwater city.

Avatar image for burjeffton--defunct
    burjeffton--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

I'd like a prequel, but my first thought is that the female is a grown up little-sister...

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pibo47

No, we don't need either! Bioshock is a one and done type of game, and now its just another franchise....WE DONT NEED MORE BIOSHOCK! Stop. They are just going to turn this into another FPS series, and i dont want that, this game was so good and so deep they can only fuck it up.

Chaoman223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Chaoman223
    Ma7moud said:
    "Prequel. I want to know more about Atlas and why is he special ?"
    were you playing the game? I would give you the reason why but that'd be major spoilers...

Me, either one would be great, because lets put into perspective for all you who cant understand how they could link up the ideas and form a sequel.  You're forgetting how large rapture is, its a city underwater, a city! It doesn't matter whats running or not modern day century sonar would be able to pick that up.  Plus the sequel doesn't have have to take place right after the original it could take place 30, 40, 50 years from then which would allow for things to develop. 

Let me create a scenario for you here...  In the year 2010 a submarine wandering the pacific detects large amounts of sound emitting towards the ocean floor, so naturally an expedition team is organized to find out whats going on.  When they reach the underwater city they are shocked in awe of the scientific achievement; however upon discovering it they also find plasmids.  The new technology is quickly put into production on the main land and leads to the benefit of society for sometime... one thing leads to another and the world is turned into rapture.

A prequel would also work very well considering how massive the backstory was but how much better the depth could be in it.

So yeah rant over
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daniel_beck_90

it is either a prequel or an entirely different under water city (a city like rapture ) created by someone other than Andrew Ryan .

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Jackel2072

My theory judging by the trailer is that You play as a Little Sister all grown up heading back to rapture. I also like the theory someone posted about the US military finding Rapture 30 years after the evens of the 1st game. That could be pretty cool. If they were going to make a Prequel to the game i would really love it if that's what the Bioshock movie was. i would just prey they dont fuck it up.

OfficialJab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By OfficialJab

Waiting to get the PS3 Bioshock, and then hoping for a prequel. We don't get enough of those these days.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vidiot
    Jackel2072 said:
    "My theory judging by the trailer is that You play as a Little Sister all grown up heading back to rapture. I also like the theory someone posted about the US military finding Rapture 30 years after the evens of the 1st game. That could be pretty cool. If they were going to make a Prequel to the game i would really love it if that's what the Bioshock movie was. i would just prey they dont fuck it up."
    Agree that you play as a grown up Little Sister going back to Rapture.
    Disagree with the military finding Rapture, that would be painfully generic.

I'm a bit confused by a lot of comments here. Either the new trailer has completely failed, or there is a completely other trailer circulating the webs that I haven't seen that alludes to this being a "prequel". In fairness, like all teasers we are not given a whole lot of information: Aside from a woman looking out into the sea holding a Big Daddy doll with stones forming the "skyline" (waterline?) of Rapture. But lets use a bit of common sense here. Who else other than an ex little sister would be more suitable to being there, reminiscing about what happened? With what little information they've given us now, it makes the most sense.

Granted a prequel made the most sense too. But I would be more excited to see how they can construct a sequel from the ending of BioShock. Where else can they jump off into? That to me seems more exciting, and more risky.
    fruitisgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By fruitisgood

The new trailer seems to have a little sister all grown up holding a big daddy doll, so it looks like a sequel

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By BiggerBomb
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By c1337us

Well its supposed to be a trilogy right? So I think it would be intersting if they worked their way backwards with the story and revealed more and more of what happened with Rapture that way.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By Davvyk

i wanted a prequel but that new trailer leads me to think its a sequel. The fact that the woman appears to be a grown up little sister is one  thing that leads me to think its a sequel. The other thing is that the woman is holding a big daddy toy which suggests to me that big daddys are established in the bioshock 2's timescale. This makes me think that it cant be a prequel as i was of the understanding that big daddys came about late in raptures development.

buthats just a guess. id love it to be a prequel

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By jakob187

How about part prequel, part sequel?

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Davvyk
    Pibo47 said:
    "No, we don't need either! Bioshock is a one and done type of game, and now its just another franchise....WE DONT NEED MORE BIOSHOCK! Stop. They are just going to turn this into another FPS series, and i dont want that, this game was so good and so deep they can only fuck it up."
    i agree but even if the sequel or prequel is bad it doesnt lessen how impactfull the original was.
    The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Icon

Definitely sequel, I think the Big Sister will save Jack somehow from the ocean. I dont know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.