10 "Okay this game is dumb" moments (Spoilers)

• 51 results
#1 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I loved the game, but here are 10 moments that made me go... "okay... this is dumb".

(This list is affectionate)

1) The reckless abandon applied to hopping through multiple dimensions during the section of the game where you supply weapons to the vox. Booker's like "yeah, alright whatever" to something that is not even possible to wrap one's head around.

2) Shooting Lady Comstock. It's a ghost? How am I going to fight a ghost? Well, I've got this gun. I guess I shoot it? Is that how you kill a ghost?

3) The finishing moves. I get that booker is a bad guy, but Elizabeth's reasonable freakout the first time Booker shoots somebody is nowhere NEAR enough for how he treats people during the finishing moves. The man is an absolute lunatic.

4) Eating from the trash. Somehow it made more sense in Rapture. It's hysterical to be walking around idyllic America and eating out of trashcans. At one point in the game, the designers put some potatoes in a scuzzy toilet because I guess it's the closest model they had to poop. My booker ate them. Again, the man is a lunatic.

5) Elizabeth is the most well adjusted shut-in who ever came out of a tower. She's somehow more socially adept than all the homeschoolers and gamers i know put together. In all honestly, I was sad they didn't handle it a bit more like Disney did with Rapunzel. It was played for comedy, but she was acceptably traumatized from having spent her whole life in a tower.

6) The first appearance of the fireman was ridiculous. Before he even strikes at Booker, he has set an entire block of Columbia on fire. Somewhere some governor has to mark "not worth it" on the budget for employing new firemen.

7) Booker sees a sign smack dab in the middle of the street that says they will know the false shepherd by his mark. Nevertheless, he makes NO ATTEMPT TO COVER IT UP. I can't tell who's dumber, Comstock for making a poster that sits in plain view of the entire city that tips his foe off to the one way he has of picking him out, or Booker for seeing that poster and not doing anything to disguise himself.

8)Elizabeth's ability to throw things at booker no matter where she is. At one point, she threw ammunition from the ground level to where I was camping out, at least 30 feet above her head. She even manages to fit it between the rungs of a gate. That girl needs to play for the major leagues.

9)How everyone is oblivious to the anguish of the Handy Man. I get that they're all racists and bigots, but they're social intelligence can't be SO dumb that they miss the fact that he Handyman doesn't WANT to be a horrible amalgamation of science and humanity.

10) Booker the ladies man. Booker gets hit on by crowds of women at least 5 or so times during the course of the game. They say nice guys finish last. Apparently bloody, garbage eating, middle aged men, with aforementioned psychopathic tendencies and quantum induced brain damage are hot, though.

#2 Posted by StrikeALight (1112 posts) -

I enjoyed your list.

And it just further highlights what a great game this is.

#3 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Add a spoiler tag buddy, you just spoiled #2 for me

#4 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Agreed with #7, quite fashionable back then for people to wear gloves & he could have avoided most of the problems early on by having a pair of gloves on his hands.

#5 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Trash eating Booker is the best Booker.

#6 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Add a spoiler tag buddy, you just spoiled #2 for me

sorry, brother. If you haven't finished the game yet, please don't read anything on this forum, though. My appologies.

#7 Edited by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@jazgalaxy: It's alright I took the risk and you're not to blame, but usually people add spoiler warnings if they're gonna spoil. Not all threads contain spoilers duder :)

#8 Posted by Mcfart (1537 posts) -

They needed to go to a universe where Booker died from food poisoning from eating like a homeless man with tapeworms.

#9 Posted by Dagbiker (6938 posts) -

@mcfart that was booker 121

#10 Posted by Karkarov (2939 posts) -

The only problem with this list is you forgot to mention that you are statistically as likely to find a hotdog, pineapples, or a piece of cake in a cash register as you are money.

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@karkarov said:

The only problem with this list is you forgot to mention that you are statistically as likely to find a hotdog, pineapples, or a piece of cake in a cash register as you are money.

In Soviet Russia.

The game does have some odd moments but they are still great.

I wanna add I do not think Lady Comstock was a ghost but more of a creature dragged into this world via Liz's powers.

#12 Edited by suprspecialawsm (57 posts) -

I actually thought number 10 was because They were all conditioned to accept Comstock as the paragon of rugged manly beauty, and subconsciously picked up on the similarities.

#13 Posted by Karkarov (2939 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: Oh yeah, she wasn't a ghost. She was just one of those freakazoid things that happen when you dimensionally rip a living person into the body of their alternate dimension self where they are a corpse.

#14 Posted by Humanity (8705 posts) -

If you guys aren't dipping into trash cans on your way to work to fish out an apple or some cereal then what the hell are you doing with your lives?

#15 Edited by zenmastah (870 posts) -

It just goes to show you that protagonists in BioShock games are very eco-conscious and are all for recycled food.

#16 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I think #5 is a pretty good criticism. If she only communicated with Songbird, and read books, how is she so socially aware?

#17 Posted by project343 (2809 posts) -

#10 - Speak for yourself. Dat voice and scruff...

#18 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

ha, good list.

I lol'd at #8

#19 Edited by DarkShaper (1319 posts) -

Eating from the garbage never bothered me because I had just played Bioshock 2, where you do the same thing even though Alpha has no was to put things in his mouth.

#20 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

6) The first appearance of the fireman was ridiculous. Before he even strikes at Booker, he has set an entire block of Columbia on fire. Somewhere some governor has to mark "not worth it" on the budget for employing new firemen.

Oh man, I'd kill for Fireman, under employed overly enthusiastic defense force the game.

#21 Posted by Bawlsz (84 posts) -

Everybody's a Clone

#22 Posted by JadeGL (694 posts) -

#10 - Speak for yourself. Dat voice and scruff...

I was going to say the same thing. The character model, plus the voice, is very attractive. Like a scruffier Nathan Drake, but not as quippy.

#23 Edited by Tumbler (161 posts) -

Heh, nice list.

Had many of the same thoughts as I played. The first time I did a finishing move I had a "WHAT THE F---" moment. Those seem like they don't belong in the game. Guy goes from hero rescuing the princess in the castle to psychopath.

Also the part where all the enemies stop and pray and you just go around murdering them...didn't like. I probably didn't have to do it but they're all armed enemies that are going to wake up and kill me soon right?...

#24 Edited by Wraxend (550 posts) -

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who ate those toilet potatoes.

#25 Edited by ripelivejam (3453 posts) -

@tumbler said:

Heh, nice list.

Had many of the same thoughts as I played. The first time I did a finishing move I had a "WHAT THE F---" moment. Those seem like they don't belong in the game. Guy goes from hero rescuing the princess in the castle to psychopath.

Also the part where all the enemies stop and pray and you just go around murdering them...didn't like. I probably didn't have to do it but they're all armed enemies that are going to wake up and kill me soon right?...

i'm guessing they were just lost in rapture for comstock. thought they would play on that more . i'm guessing it was just an extreme level of fanaticism (they were going to die for him anyway, no questions asked).

still wonder if it was a glitch/bug tho :/

it's amazing how there are admittedly quite a few gripes like this, and yet i think it's one of the most compelling and amazing games i've played in recent years.

#26 Edited by HerbieBug (4189 posts) -

Some of the things they programmed in Elizabeth's AI in order to make her a companion that you never have to worry about keeping track of made for some chuckles on a number of occasions as I was playing. I swear she warps around quite a lot when you aren't looking at her. She also seemed to enjoy picking the very darkest corner of a room to sit on a chair or lean against the wall. Every once in a while she'd start talking from her hiding place. Unintended Elizabeth jump scares. :D

The sequence of emotionally heavy scene with much gravitas immediately followed by "HAI BOOKER I FOUND A SHINY QUARTER!" happened more than once as well.

#27 Posted by WilliamHenry (1200 posts) -

@tumbler said:

Heh, nice list.

If its the section where Comstock tells them to stop attacking you so he can talk to you, then no, they don't stop praying and start attacking. So you killed them for no reason.

#28 Posted by ThePickle (4152 posts) -

I swear she warps around quite a lot when you aren't looking at her

I thought I was losing my mind at times. Thank god someone else noticed that.

#29 Edited by Tenebre (25 posts) -

For #5, Levine commented on this in an interview. He said something along the lines of she should be completely messed up but then that wouldn't make for much of a game, especially with the story he is trying to tell.

And great list :x

#30 Posted by Jay_Ray (1068 posts) -

@tumbler said:

Heh, nice list.

If its the section where Comstock tells them to stop attacking you so he can talk to you, then no, they don't stop praying and start attacking. So you killed them for no reason.

You Monster

#31 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Some of the things they programmed in Elizabeth's AI in order to make her a companion that you never have to worry about keeping track of made for some chuckles on a number of occasions as I was playing. I swear she warps around quite a lot when you aren't looking at her. She also seemed to enjoy picking the very darkest corner of a room to sit on a chair or lean against the wall. Every once in a while she'd start talking from her hiding place. Unintended Elizabeth jump scares. :D

The sequence of emotionally heavy scene with much gravitas immediately followed by "HAI BOOKER I FOUND A SHINY QUARTER!" happened more than once as well.

Yeah, I love when you're running and she runs out in front of you super fast. It's like she's just trying to prove she's faster than you. I'm like "geez, why are you so competitive?"

#32 Posted by Dahnosaur (19 posts) -

how about finding cigarettes and other food items in boxes of chocolates in the chocolate shop? I thought that was pretty hilarious.

#33 Edited by Snail (8574 posts) -

I swear I never even noticed number 10.

Also, suspension of disbelief is a thing. But yeah there are silly things in it. The whole "oh you can evoke parallel timelines? OK then yeah, let's just juxtapose an alternate reality with this one, see what turns out" parts of the story particularly seemed like a weird plot shortcut. They only recurred to that sort of thing when they were at a dead end, if I recall correctly, and had nowhere else to go - so the urgency is there, but it does seem weird that Booker warms to this notion the way he does (probably even weirder than how Elizabeth accepts all the killing, though that is better handled than in most other video-games I've played).

#34 Posted by Village_Guy (2476 posts) -

how about finding cigarettes and other food items in boxes of chocolates in the chocolate shop? I thought that was pretty hilarious.

This is probably what irked me most about the game, I go into a chocolate shop, I open boxes of chocolate, and there is none! Instead there are stupid things like pineapples and what not.

They could just have coded the chocolate box to only contain the chocolate bar food item... :(

#35 Edited by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

I totally agree with 1 and 2. Elizabeth suddenly realizing reckless manipulation of space-time would get people killed was absolutely a facepalm moment.

And everything about fighting ghost mom is fucking stupid. The concept, the actual act of fighting her, it's all dumb. Just a few blemishes on an amazing game, though.

#36 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Just to comment on #6, (I haven't played Infinite myself) it seems like a very obvious reference to Fahrenheit 451. It's not meant to be logical, this is a faux utopia. It's called symbolism or something. I don't remember, its been a couple years since I took a highschool English class.

#37 Posted by wardcleaver (172 posts) -

It was a time when almost everyone smoked. Maybe the smokey treat in the box of chocolates was the 1912 equivalent of the prize in the box of Cracker Jacks?

#38 Posted by StarvingGamer (7898 posts) -

1) At that point it's just Elizabeth's wish fulfillment power. He doesn't understand how it works but it does, what other choice does he have?

3) It's the weapon, just look at it. If your only means for self-defense is a chainsaw, you're not suddenly a lunatic for using it no matter how gory it may be.

6) It's not like they were calling firemen out for just anything. Booker is the false shepherd, the single biggest threat to Columbia, who has already killed a dozen policemen.

7) The shock of what was happening at the raffle made him momentarily forget this very new information

#39 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1726 posts) -

Personally, my favorite moment in Infinite is when I drank a bottle of ghosts that let me control robots.

#40 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

1) At that point it's just Elizabeth's wish fulfillment power. He doesn't understand how it works but it does, what other choice does he have?

3) It's the weapon, just look at it. If your only means for self-defense is a chainsaw, you're not suddenly a lunatic for using it no matter how gory it may be.

6) It's not like they were calling firemen out for just anything. Booker is the false shepherd, the single biggest threat to Columbia, who has already killed a dozen policemen.

7) The shock of what was happening at the raffle made him momentarily forget this very new information

1) What other choice does he have? NOT attempting to bring dead people back to life by futzing with the physics that underscore all of reality? "Daisy, I did all this crap to go find the guns guy, but he was dead when I got there. Junior, here, thought it would be a good idea to rip open the fabric of reality, leave you behind and go to another reality where he WASN'T dead so we scam around our failure, but I thought maybe you wouldn't want me to risk destroying all-that-is so we could get some other version of you the guns you wanted. You mad?"

2) Booker himself defies what you're suggesting in the hall of heroes when he says he does that kind of thing because he likes it. Not because he had to.

3)Booker manages to use the Devil's Kiss vigor without burnign down Columbia. I think any way you slice it, the Fireman was just bad at his job.

4) To quote my dad, "Some things you just don't forget".

Anyways, I don't know what your rebuttals are about. We were just poking fun at a game we all think is fantastic.

#41 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

I loved the game.. but the ending felt like bullshit to me, ooou it turns out you are X and your daughter is Y, and all Y timeline variables kill you, before everything happens... its like common, is this even sic-fi anymore or is it just Maaagic?

#42 Posted by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

My favorite wtf thing was: why do Colombian Peacemakers and Vox Populi carry boxes of cereal and whole cakes on their person?

#43 Posted by believer258 (11554 posts) -

@jazgalaxy:

2) Shooting Lady Comstock. It's a ghost? How am I going to fight a ghost? Well, I've got this gun. I guess I shoot it? Is that how you kill a ghost?

When is the last time that you played FEAR?

#44 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Personally, my favorite moment in Infinite is when I drank a bottle of ghosts that let me control robots.

I lol'd.

#45 Edited by StarvingGamer (7898 posts) -

@jazgalaxy said:

1) What other choice does he have? NOT attempting to bring dead people back to life by futzing with the physics that underscore all of reality? "Daisy, I did all this crap to go find the guns guy, but he was dead when I got there. Junior, here, thought it would be a good idea to rip open the fabric of reality, leave you behind and go to another reality where he WASN'T dead so we scam around our failure, but I thought maybe you wouldn't want me to risk destroying all-that-is so we could get some other version of you the guns you wanted. You mad?"

2) Booker himself defies what you're suggesting in the hall of heroes when he says he does that kind of thing because he likes it. Not because he had to.

3)Booker manages to use the Devil's Kiss vigor without burnign down Columbia. I think any way you slice it, the Fireman was just bad at his job.

4) To quote my dad, "Some things you just don't forget".

Anyways, I don't know what your rebuttals are about. We were just poking fun at a game we all think is fantastic.

1) He's not a physicist or a scientist or really book smart in any way. All he knows is that Elizabeth can somehow wish stuff into happening and that she's been doing it all her life with no repercussions. You're expecting him to reason using your knowledge.

2) So the reason you have a problem with the finishing moves is because of a line he says in the Hall of Heroes? Really?

3) Funneling the biggest threat to your society into a trap made of fire. Yeah, what was he thinking?

4) I guess your dad would know, since he also had his memory turned into soup as a side-effect of inter-dimensional travel.

I'm all for poking fun at the game. Finding a sandwich inside a box of chocolates is dumb. I just think some of your observations are way off the mark.

#46 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
#47 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@donpixel said:

I loved the game.. but the ending felt like bullshit to me, ooou it turns out you are X and your daughter is Y, and all Y timeline variables are kill you, before everything happens... its like common, is this even sic-fi anymore or is it just Maaagic?

Clarke's three laws, No. 3, states:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

#48 Posted by CornBREDX (4731 posts) -

You are right but I took most, if not all, to be metaphors for modern story conventions. A lot of the game is a social commentary or commentary on stories and modern video games (or so I understand a lot of it) and each of your perceived slights all come off intentional in the narrative.

Ken Levine is a fun developer, but he's never been very good at subtlety. Well, when it comes to his social commentary- I feel like he got some other aspects of this story across much better this time with more subtlety. While most things aren't subtle, there is several key points that he doesn't slap you over the head with. I kind of enjoyed that, but I don't know if it was all done intentionally (as much as they say they kept reiterating it may have been). It does seem like it was.

#49 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5153 posts) -

1. Sidetracking Bullshit

2. No death penalty

3. Overextended combat sequences

4. Dimension warping does NOTHING to the combat, weapons don't change, you still have extremely run of the mill abilities

5. Being a poor man's version of Bulletstorm

6. Factions all have the same enemy types; very limited variety

7. Underlying theme is ridiculously misanthropic, to the point that it's disgusting

8. Elizabeth could just pick from every eventuality and create the ideal world of her own volition

9. There's no way everything's not completely fucked before you ever get there

10. Songbird sounds really fucking annoying; not terrifying, just annoying

#50 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@donpixel said:

I loved the game.. but the ending felt like bullshit to me, ooou it turns out you are X and your daughter is Y, and all Y timeline variables are kill you, before everything happens... its like common, is this even sic-fi anymore or is it just Maaagic?

Clarke's three laws, No. 3, states:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Thats a fair and true statement, however story wise when you stretch that too thin it breaks the dramatic effect.

I'm a big fan of the Ian Banks Culture novels which are in many ways crazier than Bioshock Infinite plotline is.. yet they seem more grounded on "reality", I feel like B Infinite gets caught in the hyperbole of its own narrative, but that might be just me.

The timeline inside the timeline... Timelineception

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.