Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

360 Version — Lock Framerate?

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

So I'm in the middle of BioShock Infinite just now (trying my damnest to avoid spoilers!) but just wondered whether anyone noticed the "Lock Framerate" option on the 360 version? If so, did you disable it? It is on by default.

Not sure whether having the game installed onto the hard drive has anything to do with it, but I'm noticing a decent jump in performance in the game since disabling. It's a little erratic as you would expect, but some sequences are really smooth. I don't have any frame capture tech or analysis to back it up, but currently on my way through Hall of Heroes and it's feeling a lot smoother. Maybe around high 40s / 50 fps? It's an interesting option to have if nothing else!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Bioshock 2 also had it, I believe.

I think it also turns off Vsync. I'd rather have a solid 30 and no screen tearing than an erratic 30-50 with tearing, though.

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Rave

Bioshock 1 has is as well, I noticed it was there when I started to replay it last week.

I don't find the frame rate that bad in either game on 360 so I've always just left it

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I tried both settings and in the end I'm giving up on the 360 version as the inconsistency and general choppiness really bothers me. I found that while it was never terrible it fluctuated to the point that I kept getting distracted. I've since ordered the PC version and will happily run it on the lowest settings if it can run a little more consistently.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By expensiveham

I don't want to sound rude or elitist but as a PC user i must admit that i chuckled a little after reading you describe 40-50 fps as "really smooth".

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I don't want to sound rude or elitist but as a PC user i must admit that i chuckled a little after reading you describe 40-50 fps as "really smooth".

Well then you failed on both accounts.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By thetenthdoctor

Don't worry man- I'm a PC gamer recently converted from Xbox, and 40-50 IS nice and smooth, especially when you're accustomed to 20-30.

In a nutshell, most console games have a "cap" coded into them that prevents the FPS from going over 30. The game will occasionally struggle to maintain 30fps and drop below, during which you'll see some screen tearing and feel a bit if input lag, but it won't be that noticeable since you're only fluctuating between 25 and 30. Unlocking the framerate tells the engine to render as many frames as possible per second, even if it exceeds the refresh rate of your TV (which will cause screen tearing also).

This will make certain sections that aren't processor intensive run at 40-60fps, but as soon as things get hectic it'll come crashing back down to around 25. A sudden drop of 30 frames will be a lot more noticeable than 5, making the game feel choppy and inconsistent as the frame rate soars and dives. Hope that helps.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

@lashe:

I turned it off. The framerate improves dramatically but there is some screen tearing. It's basically like turning off v-sync.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@JasonR86: That's exactly what it's doing. The "sync" in vsync means syncing the frame cap to your monitor's refresh rate (60hz on most TVs). I it drops below that it will tear, so vsync instructs the GPU to cut the FPS to half your refresh rate (30).

A 360 or PS3 definitely CAN NOT run games at 60 without dropping a single frame, so unless you want your frames lurching back and forth between 30 and 60 (very jarring), leave the 30fps lock on. My computer isn't cutting edge but can run the game @ 1080p about 45-50fps, so I lock it at 30 and enjoy a nice, consistent feel without a single dropped or torn frame.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I tried it for a bit and could do with the reduced graphical fidelity, but eventually the higher framerate made the game harder to play because of the constant jumps from 30 to 60 fps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.