Am I the only one who enjoyed the combat in Infinite?

• 71 results
#51 Posted by EXTomar (4727 posts) -

To me the irony of Bioshock Infinite would be that I would have been much happier if "1999 Mode" really behaved like 1999 FPS.

#52 Posted by TobbRobb (4647 posts) -

I thought it was kinda shit and I wish I didnt have to deal with it. :D

#53 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

It felt like a video game forced into a great story. Much like The Last of Us did.

#54 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

Am I the only one is a giantbomb maymay

Am I the only one who thinks this is a dumb meme?

On-topic: the combat was conceptually cool but killed the enjoyment of the game for me.

#55 Posted by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

I enjoyed the combat just fine. The final horde-like battle scenario was pretty awesome.

What a fantastic game.

#56 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3834 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. I think it was WAY WAY better than Bioshock 1's (which I didn't care for).

Definitely underrated. I have read/heard plenty of people say this game and then Last of Us have "terrible" or "horrible" combat and I just shake my head. It's like if a game has a well presented story people won't accept any combat I guess? I'm trying to figure it out. I get that the two might not fit super well together but I don't see how it's that much of an issue. But hey, opinions.

You aren't alone OP.

#57 Posted by Nux (2360 posts) -

No, I really liked the combat. Once I got the murder of crows and undertow I was pretty much unstoppable. It was pretty rad.

#58 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

I liked it, but way less than Bio 1 and 2.

The weapons were far from being fun this time around and unfortunately, they have zero visual upgrades. The fact that you can only carry two made the whole game a lot less strategic. Same goes with the Vigor, who have to be '' acquired '' at specific spots in the game, unlike Bio 1 and 2 where you'd get access to them all pretty early on.

Also, the Handymen were very frustrating to fight. Way too big, hit way too hard and way too fast. You can only *hope* to stun them for a second or two with the crows, and that's it. I know you have to hit them in the heart, but damn it's not always obvious when the bloody thing is always flailing its arm around like an ape. At least, with the Big Daddies, you could prepare and lay traps.

#59 Posted by Veektarius (4832 posts) -

Despite the multiple people who agreed with you, yes, you are the only one.

#60 Posted by spraynardtatum (2950 posts) -

Despite the multiple people who agreed with you, yes, you are the only one.

wait....but....

#61 Posted by DeF (4887 posts) -

@extomar said:

To me the irony of Bioshock Infinite would be that I would have been much happier if "1999 Mode" really behaved like 1999 FPS.

Yea kinda. Or at least deliver on its promise. See, I made the mistake of unlocking 1999 Mode from the get go (Konami Code FTW) because I loved BioShock 1 and 2 on Survivor and Hard (hardest difficulties) respectively so immensely that I assumed the same would hold true for Infinite. But the promised "consequences" and "really having to think about your choices" were afterthoughts. The shield felt pointless as it disappeared too quickly and enemies had too many automatic guns that forced you to hide behind cover or snipe from another room for the entire duration of the encounter unless you were in a sky-line arena. And there's the other thing: combat didn't occur naturally in the world, you literally entered a kill arena every time. Throwing enemies off of Columbia with undertow and creating Vigor combos was neat but playing around with that wasn't really encouraged since anything that caused you to leave your safe cover was an almost sure guarantee for a quick death.

Upgrading didn't feel significant at all since I always had a ton of cash on hand so I could get most of the things I wanted for all the vigors I had at the time anyway. And the only real consequence came when dying meant paying a hefty sum, which I didn't like so I restarted from the last checkpoint which emphasized the poor checkpointing.

I plan on playing Infinite again on Easy at some point, just to see if my theory of that being a vastly more fun and enjoyable and less meddlesome experience holds true. I don't want there to not be any combat really, I just would've wanted there to be less and better integrated combat.

#62 Posted by BisonHero (6524 posts) -

I think it's bullshit that Handymen shake the screen whenever they're near you, making it that much harder to aim. Other than that, I don't mind the combat.

#63 Posted by JakeMoore1106 (51 posts) -

No i really enjoyed it!

#64 Edited by Tarsier (1064 posts) -

i thought it was great. i played on hard which demanded that you make use of the full system. you couldnt play it like call of duty at that point.

i wish the DLC was a deathmatch / ctf type multiplayer mode.

the clothing perks, vigors, weapon loadouts, tears, and rails can make for some really unique and fun combat moments that could go far in a multiplayer mode. sadly i guess ken levine doesnt see it.

#66 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I enjoyed it, although it was very easy and there were many ways to exploit combos. Firebird Traps all over the shit anyone?

#67 Edited by chocolaterhinovampire (1289 posts) -

I thought the combat felt really dated and unrewarding, but I still loved the game

#68 Posted by crithon (3228 posts) -

the combat is good, coming out of replaying Bioshock 1 and 2, it's better because they do few more tricks to make it feel satisfying with it's musical stings and it's melee finishers. That music feels like the Re-Animator or the Fly remake.

#69 Posted by elko84 (1068 posts) -

Yup, the ONLY one. Out of the entire world. Congrats.

#70 Edited by Roboculus92 (516 posts) -

I enjoyed it for the most part, though I did start to get tired of it towards the end. The first Bioshock is still an overall better game but I think I enjoyed the combat in Infinite more.

#71 Posted by 49th (2757 posts) -

I thought the combat was awesome. Fully upgraded revolver to reload super fast made me feel like a badass, and pulling and pushing guys around with the tentacle power was fun. The final battle on hard is the most intense and exciting combat I've played for years.

#72 Posted by LucidDreams117 (393 posts) -

Yes. You are. The combat in the first Bioshock was loads better. From the ammo, the gun upgrades, the plasmids and the health and oh hell, just all of it. No need to rely on Elizabeth.

And yes, there was too much in Infinite and too many enemies.

Anyway, my opinion. And no, just kidding. You're never the only one.

#73 Posted by theveej (831 posts) -

I thought it was leagues better than bioshock 1. I just can not comprehend how people enjoyed bioshock1's combat, it was fucking terrible. Infinite's combat was totally fine and worked well and was fun.

Bioshock Infinite is a fantastic game, and this recent hipster bullshit thing going on around the internent recently of people doing a 180 on infinite is completely bonkers to me. Yah I kind of get some of the arguments about the divide of the gameplay and story, but I just don't agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.