Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

"Any port in a storm, if you know what I mean"

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Anybody run into that shady character in Columbia at the beginning of the game who meets you around a corner and idly, but in a sinister voice, asks you where you're from? Then he adds "any port in a storm, if you know what I mean".

When I first ran into him, I thought he was part of the sinister men who were forcing booker to steal the girl and erase his gambling debt. That's the handle I had on the plot at the time.

Anybody know what that guy was really on about? His tone was way too sinister to not be there for any purpose. Especially in a game werein everything has purpose.

I assumed the port in a storm was referring to the way he arrived to be in columbia...

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yeah, that guy.

He's propositioning Booker.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seriously?

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Barrock

That's what that phrase can mean, yeah. You'll take anything you can get when you're desperate.

Plus the citizens really seemed to like him...

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a gay man wanting to bumrush Booker's bum. Quite rare for a non-Bioware game if you ask me..

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

He's a gay man wanting to bumrush Booker's bum. Quite rare for a non-Bioware game if you ask me..

You don't accidentally end up making sweaty man-love to him just because you were being polite and going through all his dialogue options. It's not really like a Bioware game at all :P

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight:

LMAO, so true. Early in DA2, one of my companions says something like "I'm glad we've teamed up for this mission", and I was like "Yeah, me too". Suddenly his voice changes to this Barry White baritone, and he's all "Oh reeeeally? Well, don't be such a tease or I'll take you up on that offer".

WHATTHEHELLMAN?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hey, so what's the deal with being gay, guys?

Amirite?

Guys?

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight said:

@ahaisthisourchance said:

You don't accidentally end up making sweaty man-love to him just because you were being polite and going through all his dialogue options. It's not really like a Bioware game at all :P

Does this really happen to people or is it just a joke people make? I only played through as NotFemShep once but it was pretty clear which dialogue options were flirty.

@ravenlight:

LMAO, so true. Early in DA2, one of my companions says something like "I'm glad we've teamed up for this mission", and I was like "Yeah, me too". Suddenly his voice changes to this Barry White baritone, and he's all "Oh reeeeally? Well, don't be such a tease or I'll take you up on that offer".

WHATTHEHELLMAN?

What the hell indeed, considering every flirt option in DA2 is clearly indicated with a heart symbol.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@smcn said:

@ravenlight said:

Does this really happen to people or is it just a joke people make? I only played through as NotFemShep once but it was pretty clear which dialogue options were flirty.

It's a joke people once meant completely seriously because this generation's RPGs made a lot of people crazy about satisfying everyone and gaining the absolute "best" outcome. Since telling a character in DA2 that you don't want a relationship results in a slight loss of approval, a lot of people apparently "accidently" ventured there. Combine that with the fact that the lines where the character suddenly becomes flirty are almost always triggered and you have a meme.

Which is ironic, because the only time I accidentially fell into a romance was Mass Effect 1, where me being nice to Kaidan was interpreted as wanting to bone him due to the shitty dialogue wheel.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostiet said:

@smcn said:

@ravenlight said:

It's a joke people once meant completely seriously because this generation's RPGs made a lot of people crazy about satisfying everyone and gaining the absolute "best" outcome. Since telling a character in DA2 that you don't want a relationship results in a slight loss of approval, a lot of people apparently "accidently" ventured there. Combine that with the fact that the lines where the character suddenly becomes flirty are almost always triggered and you have a meme.

Which is ironic, because the only time I accidentially fell into a romance was Mass Effect 1, where me being nice to Kaidan was interpreted as wanting to bone him due to the shitty dialogue wheel.

Mass Effect 1's dialogue choices are Terrible. My go-to example is when Udina informs you that you're taking control of the Normandy. The middle option is (paraphrasing) "alright cool I got this", and both the top and the bottom ones are "b-b-b-but that's Anderson's ship!". The exact same line. ME2 is only slightly better, and to me eliminating the "middle" choice was a blessing in ME3.

Dragon Age 2 had the best dialogue wheel, and the "personality system" for Hawke was brilliant. Never not Snarky!Hawke.

strangecargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anybody else run into that guy that wanted to teach Booker how to Greco-Roman wrestle? I think it was even earlier in the game, right as you first start walking through the streets of Columbia.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.