Anyone remember bioshock infinite?

• 151 results
#101 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

@nodima said:

Of course. I typically am bored to death by First Person Shooters, and think the first Bioshock is nearly unplayable, but I had more fun with Bioshock Infinite's single player than any campaign since...Uncharted 3? I don't know, my memory is bad. I'm tempted to say it was my favorite campaign of the generation taking both gameplay and story into account.

I recently re-downloaded my copy to play Clash of the Titans JUST because of how much I liked the gameplay, but for whatever reason I haven't actually bothered to get the DLC yet. I am genuinely psyched to dive into that eventually, though.

Wait, what?

#102 Posted by dudeglove (7685 posts) -

It's no System Shock 3

#103 Edited by dudeglove (7685 posts) -

It's no System Shock 3

#104 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

@klei said:

@nodima said:

Of course. I typically am bored to death by First Person Shooters, and think the first Bioshock is nearly unplayable, but I had more fun with Bioshock Infinite's single player than any campaign since...Uncharted 3? I don't know, my memory is bad. I'm tempted to say it was my favorite campaign of the generation taking both gameplay and story into account.

I recently re-downloaded my copy to play Clash of the Titans JUST because of how much I liked the gameplay, but for whatever reason I haven't actually bothered to get the DLC yet. I am genuinely psyched to dive into that eventually, though.

Wait, what?

Oh dude, you didn't know about the sick Clash of the Titans mini-game? You got to fight the Kraken.

#105 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

Good game

#106 Posted by Humanity (8808 posts) -

@greggd said:
@klei said:

@nodima said:

Wait, what?

Oh dude, you didn't know about the sick Clash of the Titans mini-game? You got to fight the Kraken.

The funny thing is that Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite have nearly identical combat. So if the first was nearly unplayable, then the second must have been just a tad better than that!

#107 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Yes. Very fondly.

#108 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3785 posts) -

Yeah. And it was awesome.

#109 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (615 posts) -

Why did everybody turn against Bioshock infinite?

It honestly was incredible to me.

#110 Posted by Doskias (303 posts) -

I thought it was fun to play and I enjoyed the story. It is okay that other people did not think it was fun to play, and it is okay that other people did not enjoy the story. That does not take away from how much fun I had playing it, or how much I enjoyed the story.

#111 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -
#112 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

@humanity said:

@greggd said:
@klei said:

@nodima said:

Wait, what?

The funny thing is that Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite have nearly identical combat. So if the first was nearly unplayable, then the second must have been just a tad better than that!

I don't that's true at all. The feel and the weight and the pace are completely different. It would be like saying The Last of Us and Just Cause 2 have nearly identical combat.

#113 Edited by stryker1121 (1344 posts) -

100-plus comments for a thread OP took 2 seconds to dash off..Oh the cruel irony that I'm commenting on this fingernail clipping of a thread, too. I liked Bioshock infinite, but not as much as BioShock. The world wasn't as interesting as Rapture and I generally enjoy a more grounded story than the metaphysical abstract weirdness that we ended up getting with the new game. It's good and I'll play the DLC when it arrives, but I don't exactly look back at Infinite with fondness or feel that it's incredibly memorable like Bio1.

#114 Posted by Fattony12000 (7040 posts) -

Still haven't finished it! But I think I got from that game the things I needed to, even without bothering about such trite things as narrative or characters or combat or story. I was super super taken by the themes and atmosphere emanating from the early portions of that video game.

#115 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite is one of the worst games I've played this year, and there's been a lot of bad games this year. Just about everything about it was stupid, painfully cliché, or both. In addition to the dumbass plot and setting, the shooting was bad, the AI was bad, the graphics were bad, the vigor system was bad, Elizabeth keeps pulling ammo, health, and salts out of her vagina every 2 seconds, so there's really no fear of dying. The story seems like it was written by a 10 year old, and seeing how it played out, it probably was. This game really seems like they stopped giving a fuck halfway through development. To this day, I regret wasting my time on it.

#117 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -

100-plus comments for a thread OP took 2 seconds to dash off..Oh the cruel irony that I'm commenting on this fingernail clipping of a thread, too. I liked Bioshock infinite, but not as much as BioShock. The world wasn't as interesting as Rapture and I generally enjoy a more grounded story than the metaphysical abstract weirdness that we ended up getting with the new game. It's good and I'll play the DLC when it arrives, but I don't exactly look back at Infinite with fondness or feel that it's incredibly memorable like Bio1.

This pretty much sums up my general thoughts up of BioShock Infinite exactly. I think it's a good game (good, but not great), and I vastly preferred the original two. Part of that was definitely down to the setting, as I also found Rapture to be a much more enthralling environment to explore -- so much so that I welcomed the opportunity to return with BioShock 2, and I'm more excited for Infinite's Rapture DLC than I ever was for Infinite's base game. I think I liked Rapture, at least in part, because it's pretty much the prime setting of a horror game, and the first game in particular was incredibly moody and unnerving.

That, and like you said, the high-concept sci-fi story of Infinite didn't align with my tastes as much as the psychological drama (another key element of horror) of the first two BioShock's.

#118 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

Yup, just played through it again and finished 1999 mode. It is my favorite game of the year so far.

#119 Posted by guiseppe (2837 posts) -

Yup, just played through it again and finished 1999 mode. It is my favorite game of the year so far.

#120 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

More like Bioshock: Finite. Am I right?

#121 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@missacre said:

Elizabeth keeps pulling ammo, health, and salts out of her vagina every 2 seconds

Has to be her vagina. It's not like there's some major plot point establishing her ability to reach into other realities at will or anything. (Several other things I take issue with in that post, but I could only choose one.)

#122 Edited by Korolev (1700 posts) -

It was a great game. Really enjoyed it. Still my game of the year, but I haven't finished Last of Us yet - I've bought it, but the gameplay really puts me off. Still, I've heard the Last of Us is truly great, so I'm withholding judgement until I finally finish that game. Which won't be for a while - exams and stuff coming up.

#123 Posted by Hadoken101 (712 posts) -

Still my favourite game this year so far.

#124 Posted by RonGalaxy (2871 posts) -

Biowho Infiwhat?

#126 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

@missacre said:

Elizabeth keeps pulling ammo, health, and salts out of her vagina every 2 seconds

Has to be her vagina. It's not like there's some major plot point establishing her ability to reach into other realities at will or anything. (Several other things I take issue with in that post, but I could only choose one.)

Eh, either way, that makes the game laughably easy, and there's no real sense of danger at any time because of that. Also, please, do educate me on why you have an issue with my post and the several other points you apparently took offense with.

#127 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

#128 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

I just beat it and holy fuckballs of tin man baptisms bizmarck what a do. So many great moments in that game, but the ending just comes and says "hey fuckface, ready for a curveball? Well fuck you, where'd the floor go. BITCH YOU FREEFALLIN INTO CRAZY TOWN".

Uhmazing.

#129 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

@missacre said:

Oh you mean the cosmic vaginas?

#130 Edited by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I remember it well, what I don't remember is playing Earth Defense Force 2017, judging by my achievements, I finished this game but I don't remember doing so.

#131 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Finished it twice. 7/10.

#132 Edited by chilipeppersman (1146 posts) -

@yummylee: yea kinda a letdown, I wasnt that into it. the only one in the trilogy I ever liked much was the first. it was just downhill after that

#133 Posted by SMTDante89 (2545 posts) -

Bio...shock? Don't you mean BioForge? I'm assuming you put Infinite after because that's how much fun you'll be having and because it accurately describes how long that fun will last.

#134 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

Yes?

#135 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

Well I only got around to playing it last week so I'm going to say yes. Probably my favourite game of the year so far. I was going to go back and play 1999 mode but now GTA is out so that's that put off for a while.

#136 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (406 posts) -

One of the few games that left me truly dumbfounded as the credits rolled. The discussions about the ending and going over what all the minor details added up to made me feel like one of my favourite TV series had finally ended and now all we could do was go back and examine how it all looked as a whole.

People have been talking about games as movies for a while and though I never really bought into that idea before, I think Infinite really gave me the same feeling as sort of coming-to in a dimly lit movie theatre as the credits roll. That moment where you snap back into your body, almost unaware that you'd actually been somewhere else for the past few hours. There were moments in Dishonored that sort-of gave me that same feeling of transporting me into another world but the game as a whole couldn't deliver on the promise of those few set pieces.

The combat was basically an iteration of 2. I was never a huge fan of the way combat felt in Bioshock games but it functioned well enough and offered enough opportunities experimentation that I didn't become too bored of it during the small gaps between plot points.

The story, environment, atmosphere in Infinite -and in all of the Bioshock series- is really the memorable part for me. When I stepped into the lighthouse in 1 and Inf it gave me chills, something very very few other games have been able to pull off.

#137 Posted by spraynardtatum (2605 posts) -

I remember playing it twice!

#138 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (245 posts) -

You mean that Disney game?

#139 Posted by Mcfart (1548 posts) -

Nope. Gameplay was mediocre, and it stole its storyline from every scfi ever. Saw it 1 million times before.

#140 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1838 posts) -

@missacre said:

@video_game_king said:

@missacre said:

Eh, either way, that makes the game laughably easy, and there's no real sense of danger at any time because of that. Also, please, do educate me on why you have an issue with my post and the several other points you apparently took offense with.

You have reminded me that women have vaginas. Sexism!

#141 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@artelinarose:

More like it's really crass and reductive. Anybody remember that thread where somebody got pissed over Loki calling Black Widow a "mewling whelp" or whatever in The Avengers (and I made the joke that somebody implied that she had Down Syndrome)? Something similar to that is going on here.

#142 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1838 posts) -

@artelinarose:

More like it's really crass and reductive. Anybody remember that thread where somebody got pissed over Loki calling Black Widow a "mewling whelp" or whatever in The Avengers (and I made the joke that somebody implied that she had Down Syndrome)? Something similar to that is going on here.

I got it. I was being dumb.

#143 Edited by Missacre (566 posts) -

@missacre said:

@video_game_king said:

@missacre said:

You have reminded me that women have vaginas. Sexism!

OK that made me laugh a bit too loud.

#144 Edited by AmatureIdiot (1076 posts) -

It was overall a pretty good game. The story was good, if a little underbaked. The gameplay was pretty solid but generic. As a physics student the ending wasn't really any sort of revelation for me. Probably the third best older guy/younger woman simulator I've played within a year.

#145 Edited by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@artelinarose:

Oh. Thought you were being sarcastic and deprecating.

Shin, you truly were ahead of your time.

#146 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

It was overall a pretty good game. The story was good, if a little underbaked. The gameplay was pretty solid but generic. As a physics student the ending wasn't really any sort of revelation for me. Probably the third best older guy/younger woman simulator I've played within a year.

You don't have to be a physics student to figure out the dumbass ending. Anybody with two brain cells could figure it out. This game is pretty insulting, actually. It assumes the person is too stupid to figure out the ending way before it happens.

#147 Posted by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

Insert pithy comment about not remembering the game: Isn't that the game where there was a racist sky city? Check

Dismiss it as being overrated ignoring any fun you had playing: Yeah it was okay, though everyone was jizzing themselves calling it the best game ever, but I didn't see it. Check

Talk about it in comparison to another game: I just feel that it lost something that the first Bioshock had. Check

Deride the narrative: I just wish they'd focused more on the game play and less on the story then it would have been excellent. Check

Internet meme: Would you kindly?

Yes I do remember Bioshock Infinite and fondly at that, It's still one of my games of the year, and I'm still moved and impressed every time I play it because of the brilliant use of narrative and the game play. For a game that's not even a year old I kind of think this post is a slap in the face to everyone who devoted years of their lives to make it.

#148 Edited by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

@missacre: Ah so you knew the ending within the first 5 minutes eh? Impressive, I can't wait to see how your game trumps it.

#149 Posted by Video_Game_King (35992 posts) -

@missacre: Ah so you knew the ending within the first 5 minutes eh? Impressive, I can't wait to see how your game trumps it.

How does this make any sense? Identifying a flaw and knowing how to fix that flaw are two very different things. If they weren't, I'm pretty sure doctors wouldn't be paid as much as they are.

#150 Posted by DanteFaustEsq (109 posts) -

@video_game_king: You're right, however my point was to say there is no flaw. The narrative doesn't break any of the rules of the world that it's set in. And honestly if you expect me to believe that anyone saw the ending of the game, and I'm not talking about pieces of it but the entire resolution of the story, playing out like it did then I want to play their game because they are a far better story teller than I or countless others could ever hope to be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.