Are you planning on using '1999 Mode' in your initial playthrough?

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11267 posts) -

#2 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Fuck yes

#3 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I want to hear some more about it, but so far it seems like the only way to play for me.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11267 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

I want to hear some more about it, but so far it seems like the only way to play for me.

Have a look here.

#5 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Have a look here.

Alright then.

Game of the year.

#6 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

No way, I don't player "shooters" for the challenge, especially because i am so crap at them normal difficulty is challenging enough for me. Should I really, really love this game I might try it on subsequent playthroughs.

#7 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

No, but I'll definitely go through on my second playthrough on 1999 mode.

#8 Posted by ReyGitano (2465 posts) -

@Redbullet685 said:

Same, I rather be somewhat familiar with the game's weapons and systems before I decide to have my ass handed to me.

Seems like a game I'm suppose to enjoy for the atmosphere and story rather than worrying about making the right decisions and not dying.

#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

I'm game.

#10 Posted by hermes (1270 posts) -

I don't really like the idea of being f***ed for my decisions without proper knowledge of what they imply...

Meaning, I will not use it in my first playthrough.

#11 Posted by Demoskinos (13879 posts) -

I'm all in on this. I need a challenge. If I'm just burning through dudes with little to no consequence where is the motivation to play better? And if there is no motivation to play better its REALLY easy to get bored of a game.

#12 Edited by CptBedlam (4440 posts) -

No, I'm too worried about missing stuff when I'm busy surviving.

@ReyGitano said:

@Redbullet685 said:

Same, I rather be somewhat familiar with the game's weapons and systems before I decide to have my ass handed to me.

Yup, 1999 on 2nd playthrough for me as well.

#13 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

If it's just that you can't re-roll your perks then I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

#14 Posted by DXmagma (317 posts) -

Nope. It really just seems like a more creative very hard mode, so I'll build up to that.

#15 Posted by natetodamax (19137 posts) -

I'm not really sure yet. I don't want to play this game for the challenge, but the mode does seem pretty interesting.

#16 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

Nah, I'll get frustrated enough playing it normally.

#17 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

Usually you have to beat the game at least once to unlock cool modes like this. Props to Irrational for dropping this in from the get-go.

I'll be diving straight into 1999 Mode.

#18 Posted by Village_Guy (2410 posts) -

Hell yeah, I really like the idea of making a game "harder" in other ways than increasing enemy health and damage.

#19 Posted by DeF (4692 posts) -

I plan to ... but that might eventually turn out to be determined by my platform decision. I played BioShock 1 and 2 on PS3 but with this, I think a mouse+keyboard setup might be the better choice - especially considering that "every shot counts".

But this mode is really intriguing, no matter what!

#20 Posted by hawkinson76 (340 posts) -

No, not unless they can promise me that any build is good enough to beat the game (without too much difficulty).

I loved System Shock 2, but I had a really tough time with my initial build and eventually started over using a couple of tips from a guide. The second time I felt like I had plenty of room to customize as I wanted without gimping myself. However, that was a LOOOOONG time ago, and I absolutely do not have the time to restart a game after several hours because I spec'd wrong.

#21 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Yes. Hell yes. Oh my god, yes.

#22 Posted by DonutFever (3515 posts) -

Second Playthrough.

#23 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

I'm gonna party like its 1999.

#24 Posted by New_Age_Retro_Hippie (1 posts) -

Not entirely sure; on the one hand, I do enjoy BioShock at its hardest, but I've never been able to experience System Shock 2 before, so I really don't know how hard it is.

#25 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2072 posts) -

Itll be my second playthrough, that ways things stay even more fresh

#26 Posted by wemibelec90 (1286 posts) -

Probably not at all. Bioshock was a game I enjoyed for the atmosphere, not the combat. While Bioshock Infinite's combat looks a bit more engaging and fun, I still would much rather focus on the plain experience. If I feel like playing it again, maybe?

#27 Posted by BBQBram (2165 posts) -

Probably, yeah.

#28 Posted by desolation15 (113 posts) -

Depends*, does this game use hit points or duck and regen? If hit points, I think I'll just play it straight/hard and do 1999 on my second playthru.

*I know nothing of the game, on blackout for two reasons:

1. Bioshock 1&2 didn't click with me.

2. Trailer looked too awesome

#29 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

I think it'd be fun, but I'd much rather experience the game on normal, or at least the first time. I'll pick it up in my inevitable second playthrough, along with all of the achievements of course.

#30 Posted by benspyda (1899 posts) -

Not on my first playthrough no. Also I don't think he's recommended it for a first playthrough anyway.

#31 Posted by honkyjesus (132 posts) -

Not the first one, no. Probably not the second, either.

Heard anything about New Game+ for this one?

#32 Posted by Spoonman671 (4375 posts) -

Games sucked in 1999.

#33 Posted by Doctorchimp (4063 posts) -

I played the shit out of System Shock 2

And the shit out of Bioshock with vitachambers off on Hard.

I can't wait for 1999 mode Bioshock: Infinite

What a weird ass name...

#34 Posted by BoG (5178 posts) -

I almost never play a game more than twice, and 1999 mode sounds like an great experience. I'll be playing 1999 from the beginning. If it gets too tough, then I'll go in normally.

#35 Posted by ZOnikJJ (258 posts) -

I like it when games are painfully difficult. So yeah, 1999 mode for me!

#36 Posted by Soapy86 (2597 posts) -

Absolutely. Seems like it's more or less the real way to play the game.

#37 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (976 posts) -

Will 1999 mode give the pc a decent hud that doesn't have big blocky sesame street letters designed for playing on a couch? Or take away streamlined gameplay? Doubtful.

#38 Posted by BBQBram (2165 posts) -

@whyareyoucrouchingspock: The HUD thing I can get behind, but what exactly do you mean by streamlined gameplay? Surely having some narrative pacing isn't killing games?

#39 Posted by weegieanawrench (1918 posts) -

I'll give it a shot. It would be nice to have a challenge like the "old" days of gaming. Looking forward to playing this on my new rig.

#40 Posted by Castiel (2422 posts) -

I like to have fun so no.

#41 Posted by jillsandwich (761 posts) -

Fuck no. Bioshock Infinite isn't System Shock. I understand the appeal of it being a throwback, hence 1999 mode, but it's just not at all the way I want to play the game.

I didn't connect with System Shock 2 the way I did because it was unforgiving and stupid-hard to make choices sometimes, it was because of the story and atmosphere. If I touch 1999 mode at all, it will be on subsequent playthroughs for achievements.

#42 Posted by CapsizingHeart (15 posts) -

I actually think 1999 mode sounds really interesting, although I never bothered with that kind of thing on Fallout.

I may try it, but I just want to simply enjoy my first playthrough, so I'll probably play it on normal or easy the first time around so I can just get through the game and absorb the story before I start frustrating myself.

#43 Posted by Morningstar (2050 posts) -

Yes I will.

#44 Posted by Baconbot (112 posts) -

@CapsizingHeart said:

I actually think 1999 mode sounds really interesting, although I never bothered with that kind of thing on Fallout.

I may try it, but I just want to simply enjoy my first playthrough, so I'll probably play it on normal or easy the first time around so I can just get through the game and absorb the story before I start frustrating myself.

This is what I will probably do too.

#45 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1287 posts) -

Nope

#46 Posted by bobafettjm (1256 posts) -

I am pretty sure I will not.

#47 Posted by fots (31 posts) -

À dark souls kinda mode for bioshock, i'm in!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.