Best Use of a Licensed Song (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by Mezmero (1644 posts) -

Bioshock is known for using real world music in some fantastic ways and Infinite is no different. For me personally it was the moment when Elizabeth first opens a Tear in front of you and you see a modern day city. The Tears For Fears song Everybody Wants To Rule The World plays before the Tear shuts. It was a great revelatory moment of, "Holy shit, she's opening holes in both space and time."

If that wasn't cool enough later in the game there's a phonograph that plays an old-timey rendition of the same song. I'm honestly not sure if it was indeed the original version of it. I remember thinking that the damage to the timeline must be so severe that the song was made before Tears For Fears even existed. It's more possible that I'm just not very well acquainted with that era of music.

I've heard a number of recognizable songs and scores so I wanted to hear from the community. What was the best use of a licensed song in your opinion?

#2 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

That Tears for Fears cover was fantastic :D

#3 Edited by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

I wrote this in another thread, but props to you for figuring out the "everybody wants to rule the world" cover. I missed that. Where did you hear it? I guess I don't know the song well enough.

When Elizabeth is dancing on the peer in Battleship Barge, the song she's dancing to is a carnivalized version of Girl's Just Want To Have Fun.

In the final chapters of the story, you run by a place where you hear the real version faintly pumping out of it. If you investigate, you'll see a gaint hole in teh building put there by a box bomb, or something. Iniside is a tear where the music is coming from. Elizabeth says "Alan Fink! I love him! I wonder if he's inside!" (he name is on the building), Inside he's recently dead (a random vox casualty, probably). A recording from the Fink Fitzroy kills to his brother Alan alludes to the fact that just like Industrialist Fink has been looking through tears and stealing ideas for genetics and mechanics, Alan Fink has been looking through tears and stealing ideas for songs.

#4 Posted by Mezmero (1644 posts) -

Oh good. It really was a cover. I thought I was losing my mind. XD

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

@mezmero said:

@beachthunder said:

Oh good. It really was a cover. I thought I was losing my mind. XD

This is the original

This is the version that plays in the Magical Melodies building:

#7 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11264 posts) -

@dudeglove: That's fantastic, I didn't even realise :P

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

You can't beat the barbershop quartet singing Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". It's my favorite part of the game.

#10 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

@dudeglove: That's fantastic, I didn't even realise :P

I thought that was the most obvious of the lot. The Tears for Fears one was bugging the crap out of me until now, in the sense of "Where do I know that from!?"

#11 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

Honestly, I didn't catch any of them. I only heard the Tears for Fears one because it plays during the credits. I'll need to pay more attention when I go back through

#12 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

You can't beat the barbershop quartet singing Beach Boys' "God Only Knows". It's my favorite part of the game.

THAT IS SO WEIRD. I felt like I was supposed to know that song, but I didn't. It was like "this is supposed to be significant, I'm sure".

It's weird that this major plot point really depends on your ability to pick out these really random but ubiquitous songs.

#13 Edited by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

THAT IS SO WEIRD. I felt like I was supposed to know that song, but I didn't. It was like "this is supposed to be significant, I'm sure".

It's weird that this major plot point really depends on your ability to pick out these really random but ubiquitous songs.

For me it was more that I appreciated the music and thought it was just Irrational having fun with us, I had no idea it would actually tie into the plot. I feel stupid for being surprised by the ending, but I'm also satisfied I never ruined it for myself by guessing in advance.

#14 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

@jazgalaxy said:

@mikkaq said:

For me it was more that I appreciated the music and thought it was just Irrational having fun with us, I had no idea it would actually tie into the plot. I feel stupid for being surprised by the ending, but I'm also satisfied I never ruined it for myself by guessing in advance.

It had the opposite affect on me. Once I picked out teh Girls Just Want To Have Fun song, I spent the rest of the game trying to figure out how Columbia could be anachronistic. The solution was neat but dissapointing.

#15 Edited by Nardak (457 posts) -

Think this is also a licenced song:

"will the circle be unbroken" ( a 46 second snippet from the singer who sings that particular song in-game)

Elizabeth will sing a small snippet of the song if you go to the cellar in a particular bar. Surprisingly Booker seems to know how to play quitar.

#16 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

The old timey versions of Everybody Wants to Rule the World and Girls Just Wanna have fun were so amazing.

#17 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

Honestly, I didn't catch any of them. I only heard the Tears for Fears one because it plays during the credits. I'll need to pay more attention when I go back through

Make sure to go in the tower that's floating up and down in that last open section of the game where you are dealing with Lady Comstock's ghost. You find details about it in there, a musicians house, which is pretty interesting. Seems he was stealing the music from the future.

Also, the Soft Cell cover:

#18 Posted by dudeglove (7253 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

Make sure to go in the tower that's floating up and down in that last open section of the game where you are dealing with Lady Comstock's ghost. You find details about it in there, a musicians house, which is pretty interesting. Seems he was stealing the music from the future.

Or even the past? Chopin is in the game too, although I think we're meant to treat the world of Infinite as taking place in our own.

#19 Edited by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I found that part, so I understand why these songs would have appeared, but I never noticed the songs themselves appearing in context during the rest of the game. That audiolog made sense because I heard the real versions of the Cindi Lauper and Tears for Fears songs, so it made sense that this guy would be stealing songs through the tears, I just didn't know they actually produced those songs he was stealing. I thought TfF song during the credits was just a gag

@nardak: They wrote that song. During the credits it shows the voice actors working out that part and changing the lyrics

#20 Edited by Oni (2067 posts) -

Toss-up between God Only Knows, especially when you hear it in the credits and the significance hits, or Will the Circle Be Unbroken, which also gains a whole new meaning after the ending.

#21 Edited by Nardak (457 posts) -

@mildmolasses said:

@artisanbreads: I found that part, so I understand why these songs would have appeared, but I never noticed the songs themselves appearing in context during the rest of the game. That audiolog made sense because I heard the real versions of the Cindi Lauper and Tears for Fears songs, so it made sense that this guy would be stealing songs through the tears, I just didn't know they actually produced those songs he was stealing. I thought TfF song during the credits was just a gag

@nardak: They wrote that song. During the credits it shows the voice actors working out that part and changing the lyrics

They might have changed some words but this is the original song i think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI (by Johnny Cash among others)

#22 Edited by Mezmero (1644 posts) -

Looking back there was indeed story justification for these songs showing up in this universe as many people have pointed out. This game is so awesome for fleshing out stuff like that.

#23 Posted by MildMolasses (3194 posts) -

@nardak: Weird. The way they were talking about it made it seem like it was something they could rework at will.

Although there's no reason why Booker would know that song. That game is a sham!

#24 Edited by Castiel (2419 posts) -

Not many people discovered this, but in the tower at Monument Island where you find Elizabeth there is a very subtle version of "Everybody wants to rule the world" playing before you find her.

Listen closely to the humming coming out of the large speakers:

I heard it on my first play through and wasn't quite sure but it's totally that song. It's just very subtle.

Still don't believe me. Then listen to the chorus, just the chorus, and then go back and listen to the other video:

#25 Edited by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

@dudeglove said:

@artisanbreads said:

@mildmolasses said:

Or even the past? Chopin is in the game too, although I think we're meant to treat the world of Infinite as taking place in our own.

Nah, I think anything happening in the past is fair game.

Like when Elizabeth compares the riots to les miserables. I was like "wait! Les Miserables didn't come out until the 80's!". Then I remembered that Victor Hugo's book is much older than that.

They also do a bit of motzart in the scene where they say Fitzroy killed Lady Comstock.

#26 Edited by mikey87144 (1484 posts) -

@beachthunder: I missed this. I wasn't really listening to the words. Pretty great.

#27 Edited by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

I really liked the bit where the Vox was sitting on the stack of barrels in the middle of the revolution and singing Fortunate Son like it was a spiritual.

#28 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

I really liked the bit where the Vox was sitting on the stack of barrels in the middle of the revolution and singing Fortunate Son like it was a spiritual.

#29 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3325 posts) -

That is literally one of my favorite albums of the 1980s, and I never realized that song was what played during this section. I recognized every other song in the game almost immediately.

#30 Edited by Azteck (7447 posts) -

When they played the Creedence Clearwater Revival song through the rift I went "That is so awesome" out loud to a friend on skype.

#31 Posted by ztiworoh (728 posts) -
@nardak said:

@mildmolasses said:

"Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is a very old song that became something of a standard for old-time/country/bluegrass bands. The Carter Family (their daughter, June Carter would go on to marry Johnny Cash) made the first well known recording of it in the 1920s, but the song predates that by quite a bit. It was their version that added the word "Lord" to the song, which isn't in the Bioshock Infinite version.

#32 Posted by StevetheRadroach (41 posts) -

Did anybody else see the AC/DC thing? it was like a whole scene, the characters referenced it and everything.

#33 Posted by GalacticPunt (983 posts) -

@ztiworoh said:
@nardak said:

@mildmolasses said:

"Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is a very old song that became something of a standard for old-time/country/bluegrass bands. The Carter Family (their daughter, June Carter would go on to marry Johnny Cash) made the first well known recording of it in the 1920s, but the song predates that by quite a bit. It was their version that added the word "Lord" to the song, which isn't in the Bioshock Infinite version.

Yes. I thought it went back a couple centuries, but according to Wikipedia it was written in 1907. So for Booker and Elizabeth in 1912 it was... Christian Contemporary!

Some people in this thread are making me feel old with the "I've never heard 'God Only Knows'" talk.

Because it was in the credits but I couldn't find it in-game, here's the hilarious version of REM's "Shiny Happy People" It does the tempo change and everything.

#34 Posted by HerbieBug (3841 posts) -

@mikkaq said:

That was great. I tend to plow through games quickly so it takes something extra special to make me stop and listen. The quartet did it. Was a very nice touch to that part of the game, i thought.

#35 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

Girls just Want to Have fun then God Only Knows.

#36 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

Did anybody else see the AC/DC thing? it was like a whole scene, the characters referenced it and everything.

What AC/DC thing?

#37 Posted by slashdotdot (95 posts) -

There´s also a cover of Tainted Love playing in a Vox bar. That was the first one that really hit me.

#38 Edited by iragequit (329 posts) -
#39 Posted by soimadeanaccount (69 posts) -

@jazgalaxy: Oh my god yes, that requiem part in the "exhibit" fit the scene so well, with the song being not entirely of Mozart's work and the story being told are actually lies.

#40 Edited by ChrisHarris (172 posts) -

In case anyone missed the aforementioned guitar easter egg while playing:

#41 Posted by SpaceGandhi (69 posts) -

My personal favorite was the Vox singing Fortunate Son. I just kind of walked by her at first, but then I heard the line, "...silver spoon in hand..." and I was hooked.

#42 Edited by Epidehl (264 posts) -

My personal favorite was the Vox singing Fortunate Son. I just kind of walked by her at first, but then I heard the line, "...silver spoon in hand..." and I was hooked.

A bunch of them clicked with me, but this was one of the few that I stopped, went back and listened. For it was the "It ain't me, it ain't me!" that made me realize what song it was.

Tainted Love, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun were all awesome as well.

#43 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2151 posts) -

@banefirelord said:

I was running past this part and I had to stop and listen to what she was saying because I thought I was going crazy thinking I was hearing Fortunate Son. Blew my mind when I found out I was right.

#44 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

@banefirelord said:

I was running past this part and I had to stop and listen to what she was saying because I thought I was going crazy thinking I was hearing Fortunate Son. Blew my mind when I found out I was right.

Yeah it was done in a subtle enough way that it did become mind blowing. I'm a big fan of the song "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and when I was first hearing parts of it in that old timey style... I had a crazy shock moment of disbelief.

It's interesting too, listening to press guys talk it sounds like they spelled that "Music stealing" stuff out more in different ways before in the game but they dialed that back on release, which was a great move.

#45 Posted by Glottery (907 posts) -

Loved these, even if I did accidentally read about a few of them beforehand. Though I was really hoping that the tear with the actual "Fortunate Son" playing, would've been one you could jump into, then witness CCR playing it on a live gig, before being warped out.

...actually, I think one of the DLCs should focus purely on CCR and/or on you playing Alan and stealing a bunch of modern songs!

#46 Edited by JasonR86 (9377 posts) -

I didn't know that there were so many. That's pretty awesome. I think they seem to like this one the best though.

#47 Posted by outerabiz (640 posts) -

I disliked the way they cut off Mozarts requiem and looped the different parts until you moved on in the crypt scene, but otherwise it's a great pick for the scene.

#48 Posted by Milkman (16228 posts) -

God, I'm terrible at playing games. I missed almost all of these besides God Only Knows. I need to play through this game again.

#49 Edited by A_E_Martin (84 posts) -

In this week's Bombcast, @brad mentioned someone had ripped all the songs from the game and dumped them online. If someone could direct me to this musical goodness via PM, it would be much appreciated.

#50 Edited by Dan_CiTi (2928 posts) -

@a_e_martin said:

In this week's Bombcast, @brad mentioned someone had ripped all the songs from the game and dumped them online. If someone could direct me to this musical goodness via PM, it would be much appreciated.

I second this.

Also, what is the song being played when you witness the tear in one of the warehouses during the Chen Lin mission? Liz says something to the effect of "I don't think anyone's heard that song before" after the tear happens. Sounds like Led Zeppelin or AC/DC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.