The ending pretty much blew my mind. 

#3 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Oh I like this.. I like this a lot.

#4 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@Azteck said:
" Oh I like this.. I like this a lot. "
A whole lot.
#5 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

This is "game-play" video in the vein of Killzone 2, I assume.

#6 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Holy shit.does this look awesome.

#7 Edited by Venatio (4491 posts) -
@DetectiveSpecial said:

" This is "game-play" video in the vein of Killzone 2, I assume. "

I actually don't doubt that this is gameplay, but I do have to admit that everything that happened in the video looked really....I don't know how to put it really, staged maybe?

Also, the gamplay blew me away, it looks amazing
#8 Posted by AlisterCat (5564 posts) -
@DetectiveSpecial said:
There's a difference between scripted and pre-rendered. I don't doubt they have the engine set up but it was likely controlled through scripting (instead of someone controlling it by hand on a controller or mouse), rather than being outright fake like the Killzone trailer.
#9 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

"Gameplay" seems like a bit of a stretch.  It's a very nice looking cutscene though.

#10 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (834 posts) -

I've been sitting here for the past 5 or 10 minutes trying to come up with a way to describe what I just saw. To be honest, this trailer has left me speechless. That being the case, I believe only one thing needs to be said.

Big Daddies are Batman. Game of the Year.

#11 Edited by Vinny_Says (5708 posts) -

looks like bioshock, and elizabeth looks like she's straight outta pixar movie. 

....not impressed, kinda don't want to fight crazy people again :(

edit: When they firs announced it I was hyped, I loved the city in the sky concept. But after watching this I'm kinda put off...what's wrong with me?!

#12 Posted by Xolare (1284 posts) -

Tits.

#13 Posted by Nytrik (153 posts) -

Oh wow. That was really awesome.

#14 Posted by DXmagma (317 posts) -

"you don't look so good..."

oh, i beg to differ.

this game looks awesome!

#15 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Definitely interested now.

#16 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -
@Venatio said:
I actually don't doubt that this is gameplay, but I do have to admit that everything that happened in the video looked really....I don't know how to put it really, staged maybe? 
Think how the first Bioshock was. The opening of the game was extremely scripted and full of awesomeness as you made your way into the depths of Rapture. The scriptedness died later (though it was assuredly still there, despite Irrational assuring that it would be very.. not scripted), this is just a way to introduce you to the world in a badass way.
#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Aragorn123 said:
" I've been sitting here for the past 5 or 10 minutes trying to come up with a way to describe what I just saw. To be honest, this trailer has left me speechless. That being the case, I believe only one thing needs to be said.  Big Daddies are Batman. Game of the Year. "
Skydaddies? 
#18 Posted by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

This is way better than I expected.

#19 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

It's more of a "target gameplay trailer."  You'll probably do similar things in the campaign proper, but these events look like they're scripted just so for a trailer. 

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (11929 posts) -

Y'all need to hide your guns, hide your wife, hide your guns, hide your wife, and hide your business cuz they're taking everything out here.

#21 Posted by Legxend (124 posts) -

Damn that looks incredible

#22 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

well... that looks fucking amazing. gogo Ken Levine I guess

#23 Posted by aurahack (2270 posts) -

I love the first-person narration. 

Fuck, if the game can have that kind of scripting magic, I'll be plenty okay with dying at the end of 2012 if I get to play this before the possible end of the world.

#24 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

This gave me chills now that I've actually watched it. In engine, I'm sure, but in game? I doubt it.

#25 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

that was awesome 

#26 Posted by Meltac (2002 posts) -

That was very, very awesome. Liking the look of the game, and can't wait to see some proper gameplay. 

#27 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

I wonder if this game will have more or less RPG-ish elements than what BioShock 1 had. I hope for a more fleshed out version, but it will probably be less.

#28 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too perfect and natural for it's own good, because this just makes everyone assume it's totally fake.

#29 Edited by cid798 (242 posts) -

Ohhhh, so that's how the liberty bell got that crack in it. 

Edit: Also - Sniping in a business suit. So classy !

#30 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Yea, I agree with the gameplay skeptics.  Either the game will have a ton of scripted events, or it won't really play out like this.

It's weird to see footage that is suspicious not because of the graphics but because of the actual gameplay elements.

#31 Posted by august (3845 posts) -
#32 Posted by shadyspace (458 posts) -

That looked fucking amazing, and this is coming from a guy who had an active dislike of the first one.

#33 Posted by phantomzxro (1577 posts) -
@AlisterCat said:
" @DetectiveSpecial said:
There's a difference between scripted and pre-rendered. I don't doubt they have the engine set up but it was likely controlled through scripting (instead of someone controlling it by hand on a controller or mouse), rather than being outright fake like the Killzone trailer. "

I would agree with this i sure the engine is ready to go they just don't have consoles builds yet, so i'm sure its running on a computer with the same engine for the game. I don't think it is a render too long and could have looked better if that was the case. Always to game is a way away so  if it was raw gameplay this soon it would be ready to go.
#34 Posted by mostman (248 posts) -

If this is what they have a YEAR out from release - jesus - this game is going to be fucking awesome.   

I agree with the poster above - this is probably in engine - but the actions are entirely scripted and on rails.

#35 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -

Why the fuck in 2012?  they better release it in 2011, hyping us up for a game that is two years away is BS.

#36 Posted by jediknight00719 (140 posts) -

This is definitely scripted gameplay but nonetheless in engine and not pre rendered.  This game looks amazing.

#37 Posted by Getz (3007 posts) -

The propaganda in this game would make Antoine Dodson proud. As for the the demo, I am fucking sold.

#38 Posted by jkz (4025 posts) -
@shadyspace said:
" That looked fucking amazing, and this is coming from a guy who had an active dislike of the first one. "
My feelings as well. I really didn't enjoy Bioshock or Bioshock 2, but that looked outstanding. I have no doubt that it was incredibly heavily scripted just for that trailer, but I far prefer the environment and the expanded color-palette, and the game-play looks promising. 
#39 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

I imagine this will be a fairly scripted event in the game, but I wouldn't dismiss it as a pre-render, cut-scene or sequence that won't be in-game. obviously it's been made to play out exactly as they want it to, but it seems like the kind of thing you could easily play through yourself, albeit less perfectly.

#40 Posted by TerraDelu (501 posts) -

Give this to me. Now. 

I was REALLY skeptical of this game after seeing the last trailer. I was concerned (like most people) that this was just gonna be "Sky Rapture". While there are certainly elements of that here, it seems FAR more engaging that I was expecting, and definately more so that Bioshock 2.

#41 Posted by RaceKickfist (218 posts) -

i'm loving the world they built here! it seems so fully realized! they really spent some good time figuring out how a city in the sky could work. rollercoaster wrenching ftw.

#42 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

This looks amazing

#43 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -
@august said:
" STEPHEN RUSSEL CAN I GET A FUCK YEAHHHHH "
I thought that Booker sounded suspiciously like Garret! Really digging the banter between him and Elizabeth as well.
#44 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2720 posts) -

Holy fucking shit.

#45 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

That certainly was scripted. It looked beautiful, though.

#46 Edited by Lazyaza (2181 posts) -

This is very much a game engine running a sequence and not pre-rendered but its very very scripted and been worked on to look as good as it can, hence the difficulty in believing what is shown.  
If you have doubts just look at anything in the video that should be round or smooth, such as the bell or the cloth on the statue. Not smooth = low poly count = game engine assets.

As for character models, displacement maps and shaders do wonders these days and good animation is good animation.  Seems Irrational is on par with the likes of Naughtydog, Insomniac and Valve now when it comes to motion, which is awesome.

#47 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

God damn that looks fucking fantastic.

#48 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Diamond: The game is two years away still, I think it's fine if there are more scripted events in this trailer
#49 Edited by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

#50 Posted by Moody_yeti (369 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" Y'all need to hide your guns, hide your wife, hide your guns, hide your wife, and hide your business cuz they're taking everything out here. "
oh crap!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.