BioShock Infinite Hitting Retail In October

• 77 results
Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

No sense in dragging this one out. BioShock Infinite, that game that you've probably been desperately anticipating since last E3 when the collective video game industry suddenly found itself whipped into a crazed frenzy over it, finally has a release date.

Irrational let it be known on its website today that players in North America will be able to get their hands on Infinite on October 16 of this very year, while international folk will get their chance on October 19.

It's worth noting that the PC version of Infinite will be coming at the same time as its console counterparts. Specifically, it's worth noting that because of how infrequently that happens nowadays.

Odds are we won't hear too much more about the game until round about E3 time this year, but with any luck, by then we'll actually be able to sit down and play the thing. That'd be great, as I've been dying to know how all that skyhook craziness actually works in practice. It looks like absolute voodoo when you're watching someone else do it.

Staff
#1 Posted by Alex (1969 posts) -

No sense in dragging this one out. BioShock Infinite, that game that you've probably been desperately anticipating since last E3 when the collective video game industry suddenly found itself whipped into a crazed frenzy over it, finally has a release date.

Irrational let it be known on its website today that players in North America will be able to get their hands on Infinite on October 16 of this very year, while international folk will get their chance on October 19.

It's worth noting that the PC version of Infinite will be coming at the same time as its console counterparts. Specifically, it's worth noting that because of how infrequently that happens nowadays.

Odds are we won't hear too much more about the game until round about E3 time this year, but with any luck, by then we'll actually be able to sit down and play the thing. That'd be great, as I've been dying to know how all that skyhook craziness actually works in practice. It looks like absolute voodoo when you're watching someone else do it.

Staff
#2 Posted by IAmNotBatman (627 posts) -

Shocktober?

#3 Posted by Drace (164 posts) -
@IAmNotBatman

Shocktober?

Approved.
#4 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Woo, a week before my birthday! I don't have to pay for this!

#5 Posted by BonOrbitz (2156 posts) -

PHEW. When I saw the date I figured it was for all platforms, but had a wee bit o' doubt in the back of my mind.

#6 Posted by Wuddel (2079 posts) -
#7 Posted by Pop (2605 posts) -

FUCK YES! I can't hold my pants cause my bowels are so happy that they can't stop evacuating!

#8 Posted by Morningstar (2139 posts) -

This is going to be soooo goood!

#9 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

Perfect! That gives me almost a whole month to do everything in Borderlands 2. Well played 2K distribution team, well played indeed.

#10 Posted by Evilsbane (4529 posts) -

O.O SQUEEEEEEEE! It releases like right before my Birthday Happy fucking birthday to you to 2K!

#11 Posted by RetroVirus (1457 posts) -

Can't wait!

#12 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

top of my want list that for sure

#13 Posted by Zinc (200 posts) -

Sweet! My Birthday is on October 15th. Great timing!

#14 Posted by mustachioeugene (499 posts) -

I find this infinitely fascinating.

#15 Posted by Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 (558 posts) -

Possibly my most wanted game ever. Though I have to wonder what we'll see in the way of pre-order "bonuses", online passes, collector's editions and such.

#16 Posted by mbr2 (559 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite in October you say? Hopefully Columbia won't... *puts on sunglasses* Fall. YEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

#17 Edited by Branthog (7342 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first two Bioshocks -- and I'll play this on launch, too -- but I just can't seem to get particularly excited over it. I'm not sure if it's the overly cartoonish art-style or the annoying female or that I'm not a fan of a game where I'm going to spend most of my time with sweaty palms as I try not to fall off of things at great heights. Or maybe it's just that I fear they're going to smudge yet another potentially awesome experience with more shitty "protect the little sister from the invading daddies" scenarios.

#18 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1086 posts) -

Good date. It should come out at a time that will be before the madness that is the holiday shopping season.

#19 Posted by Progman9000 (258 posts) -

October you say? Where's my time machine?

#20 Posted by MachoFantastico (4484 posts) -

The Game of 2012... calling it!

#21 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1842 posts) -

This is by far my most anticipated game of the year. Good to finally have a date

#22 Posted by Brendan (7686 posts) -

Yes? Yes.

#23 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

I get the feeling GOTY is going to be a lot more difficult this year with all the high quality releases we've had so far. Dogpile it on, Bioshock!

#24 Posted by BBQBram (2200 posts) -

That's three days before my birthday...

I BOW DOWN TO YOU LEVINE

#25 Posted by Sporkbane (185 posts) -

@Wuddel said:

Pretty much yeah

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Awesome. Now to preserve myself in cryostasis until October.

#27 Posted by Atlas (2430 posts) -

Quite easily my most anticipated game of 2012. In Levine we trust! October can't come quick enough.

#29 Posted by PresidentOfJellybeans (300 posts) -

Until it gets pushed back to early 2013.

#30 Posted by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -

Totally buying this.

#31 Posted by firecracker22 (532 posts) -

So...Bioshock Infinite, Assassin's Creed III, and Borderlands 2.

So far, it looks like I might end up very broke by the end of this year.

#32 Posted by Rolento (264 posts) -

Hooray? I guess? System Shock 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but Bioshock wasn't really even close to as good, in my opinion. I'm sure I'll buy it, 'cause that's how I roll, but I'm really not all that excited for it, and didn't understand all the sperging people did about it last E3. Here's hoping for a pleasant surprise.

#33 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

@Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497 said:

Possibly my most wanted game ever. Though I have to wonder what we'll see in the way of pre-order "bonuses", online passes, collector's editions and such.

As far as I know, 2K hasn't jumped onto the online pass bandwagon. So you don't have to worry about that one.

#34 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

Great, I was hoping I wouldn't have to buy a new gaming PC till after the start of Obama's second term.

#35 Posted by probablytuna (3533 posts) -

Day one purchase for sure. Can't wait.

#36 Posted by WouldYouKindly (15 posts) -

Did I imagine this or at last E3 did Jack Tretton announce that Infinite will come with the original Bioshock game bundled for PS3 owners?

#37 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Man, I love having an October birthday, so many great games always come out within like a week of my birthday.

#38 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Ahhhh yeah!

#39 Posted by FinalBoss (86 posts) -

This is my most anticipated game right now. Can't wait!

#40 Posted by vonFlampanker (327 posts) -

We've got this game's setting, Assassin's Creed 3's setting and an election coming up. Americana weirdness abounds. It's going to be great.

#41 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -

Announcing a day and date PC release is NOT the same as actually delivering a day and date PC release. Many times we see companies delay PC versions for weeks or months afterward. I would be thrilled for simultaneous release, but until that day is there and I see it on Steam, no dice.

#42 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

Did they... did they tone down Elizabeth's bust size? :/

#43 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

I still think the cartoonish breast size worked with the cartoonish nature of the art. Everytime I see her looking realistic in proportions I find a disconnect with the art. I should really get used to it.

#44 Edited by BombKareshi (996 posts) -

Last year I was waiting all year until October for Arkham City. It looks like this year I'm waiting till October again, only this time for Bioshock Infinite.

#45 Posted by theredcoat24 (218 posts) -

a new Assassins Creed and a new Bioshock.... October is gonna be my favorite month

#46 Posted by Lazyaza (2166 posts) -

@Cyrisaurus said:

Did they... did they tone down Elizabeth's bust size? :/

She never had a large bust size so much as really prominent cleavage. Given Ken Levine himself complained about people always talking about her boobs I wouldn't be surprised if they did modify her somewhat though.

#47 Posted by G24S (281 posts) -

God damn titties!

#48 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

Take my money now please.

#49 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1698 posts) -

@FinalBoss said:

This is my most anticipated game right now. Can't wait!
#50 Posted by captainbojangles (3 posts) -

can't wait for this one!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.