BioShock: Infinite is the highest rated PC game of all time

• 61 results
#51 Posted by expensiveham (290 posts) -

@envane: You can swap difficulty at any time in the menus.

#52 Posted by Ares42 (2610 posts) -

@tangoup said:

So, does this game bang you over the head with, "... religion is bad, mkay?" stuff repeatedly? I just saw a 'Let's Play' on Youtube of the first 30 mins and it seems like this is a big part of the story.

The game is not about religion or racism or anything like that. They are only themes used to characterize people and factions.

#53 Edited by John1912 (1852 posts) -

I just finished the game. Overall I liked this one the least of the 3. In many ways the game just did not feel right. It didnt feel like a Bioshock game. The enemies were pretty bland, too many of them where just Military troops. Military troops just dont say Bioshock to me. I also didnt feel the City and its people were given enough presence. In large they were left feeling rather faceless. Esp with changing time lines.

A large part of what is Bioshock to me as well are the Tonics. The Tonics in this game just felt kinda tossed in because its Bioshock. I guess the fact that they were such a core part of the people and downfall of Rapture that seeing them just kinda sitting there, like a potted plant that fills a bland corner of a room was pretty disappointing. They werent reflected in the story once :-/

Yea, more I think about it, this game makes me sad. It didnt even have good characters. Elizabeth was good. The rest just fill their roles. Sadly the two characters I liked the most were the twins. Just because they were fun to listen to their odd bickering.

#54 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

You need to adjust review scores for inflation, like with money. Half-Life's 96% is approximately 140% by today's standards.

#55 Posted by 00 (119 posts) -

If this is the highest rated PC game of all time, it's a testament to how inflated review scores are these days. It seems the scale ranges from 9 to 10 and anything less is terrible.

I've put in 10 hours now, according to Steam, and it seems like I am nearing the end of the game. (if that's a long time, it's because I like to explore the world to take in the art)

It's a well produced game and the art is nice... but the combat is the same old Bioshock combat that hasn't really been improved upon since the first game, except now there seems to be twice as many enemies in an area at once. It's just tedious to get through.

While the underlying themes and story are different, and they have a new setting, it just feels like a rehash of the same formula again. It's average at best, and I don't feel any better about it than I do about Bioshock 2.

#56 Edited by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

@winternet said:

Is this the thread where I can act cool and say Bioshock Infinite is just ok?

This pretty much sums it up. It's like when you really like some obscure Indie band, and they suddenly hit the mainstream. Once EVERYONE loves them, you think they're shit.

But you know everyone has to be a unique fucking snowflake.

#57 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

@artisanbreads said:

Where do I begin with this? How do you take ARMA so seriously? It's a sandbox made to be dicked around in. And the guys all liked it a lot. Vinny and Drew said they would be playing it. Because they aren't telling each other where "tangos" are on their "six" it isn't serious? What?

And you pull out two of the worst game stories to make your point when Far Cry. How about say Max Payne 2? Grim Fandango? or.... the WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD BIOSHOCK INFINITE. No more tired argument then "oh go pick up a book if you want a story!" So ignorant. Thank god creators don't agree and we get great video game stories. But you want them to take ARMA more seriously. You are one confusing cat.

Hah, "tangos on their six" is military lingo? What a cliched movie one-liner. If you think that's actual military jargon no wonder you don't care for Arma. In a life and death struggle, real soldiers would use alot more... stronger language to describe such a scenario. A sandbox made to be dicked around in? If I was a condescending bastard I'd call you a philistine for that understatement. The same could be said about any game, replace sandbox with cheese maze in the case of your corridor crunching FPS. In which case Bioshock Infinite fits snugly into. See, I too can dismiss any game I like by shifting the goalposts.

In both quick looks, the guys clearly jumped right into both games without taking the time to learn some of the game's fairly simple mechanics (Ex: Drew never realized he could switch between AI teammates with "T"). And it's perfectly fine that they don't. I never said anything about wanting them to take it more seriously.

While Vinny and Drew can enjoy some of the more serious games, Ryan and Patrick clearly can't. But when it comes to games like Telltale's The Walking Dead both of them are inherently knee-deep into. You won't find any snide remarks or back-handed compliments from them there. Like you said, this thread is about Bioshock Infinite so I'll leave any sort of criticisms I have about video games stories for another time.

#58 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

@irishdoom said:

@winternet said:

This pretty much sums it up. It's like when you really like some obscure Indie band, and they suddenly hit the mainstream. Once EVERYONE loves them, you think they're shit.

In precisely no ways is it like that. At all. But good job whining about something completely irrelevant to try and make yourself out to be better than a group of people who aren't even here.

#59 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

@jimbo said:

@irishdoom said:

@winternet said:

In precisely no ways is it like that. At all. But good job whining about something completely irrelevant to try and make yourself out to be better than a group of people who aren't even here.

My problem with his argument is that people like him get carried away and start accusing legitimate criticism of hipsterism, to the point that criticism becomes forbidden and you reach a point where you must ignore the flaws and praise the game or else you're a hipster.

#60 Posted by Irishdoom (333 posts) -

I think an off-hand, cutesy comment I made is being taken way too seriously. I think it's just a case of extremes. There is extreme praise for this game, and therefore it will elicit equally extreme disagreements by some. I don't think you can call the game "not very good" in an empirical sense, that's going too far the other way. Saying "it's good, but I'm not wetting my pants" I can get behind. I've felt the same way about every GTA game I've ever played. But I know those games ARE good. Just not my cup o' tea.

#61 Edited by Milkman (16611 posts) -

Yo, I don't know what's going on in this thread but I just want to say that HOLY FUCK this game is good.

#62 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5813 posts) -

@milkman said:

Yo, I don't know what's going on in this thread but I just want to say that HOLY FUCK this game is good.

I agree with this gentleman. Y'all are crazy, this shit is fun.

Although I think of all the "shock" games, System Shock 2 is still the best by far.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.