Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

bIOSHOCK TEST

bucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By bucifer

I still remember the first time that I played Half-Life 2, it was a great shock to see a game achieve what at the time believed to be near-photorealism. Even on my crappy 2004 PC that had a lousy Nvidia GeForce MX440, the game was gorgeous. Add to that a great setting, interesting game mechanics and an emotionally engaging storyline and it’s not hard to see why even in 2013 it’s still considered one of the best first person shooters ever made.

So here comes Bioshock Infinite, fresh off the presses, echoing many of the features that made HL2 such a huge success. Even before playing it, I knew this was going to be a great title, and boy, it sure didn’t disappoint. Just look at all the video features and forum posts that have suddenly popped up trying to discuss the game’s ending.

What really got to me though, was the setting. I think they did an excellent job of creating this image of a city in the clouds and they wasted no chance to bombard your eye sockets with breath taking visuals.

I wanted to pay my own little tribute to Bioshock Infinite in a matter similar to http://deadendthrills.com but maybe just different enough so that I’m not ripping the guy off. Instead of doing screenshots, I went for 360 panoramas.

There was only one problem, my video card was an Nvidia 9600GT from 2008 that could barely run the game on medium. Did this stop me? Nope. I cranked everything up to HIGH, ran the game in a non-standard resolution so that I get more detail in each shot and started taking hundreds of screenshots. The only downside is that I have to play the game at 5-10 FPS

It takes between 100 and 200 shots to get a full 360 degree horizontal and 180 degree vertical panorama. Because I’m saving each one as a BMP, every session results in about 1GB of images.

It takes around 30 minutes to compile each panorama and between 1 and 3 tries each time until I get the expected results.

My only real complaint is that because the card is so old, it can’t render DX11 and I’d probably get even better results with a more modern one. But even so, I think the panoramas turned out great, have a look below at the composite images, next to each one is a link that will take you to an interactive version.

No Caption Provided

Temple Baptism

No Caption Provided

Booker's Office

No Caption Provided

The City In The Sky

No Caption Provided

Holy George Washington

No Caption Provided

The Angel Of Columbia

No Caption Provided

All Hail Comstock

No Caption Provided

So Many Candles

No Caption Provided

A man, a lighthouse, and a city

No Caption Provided

Coming up next

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.